• filter:
  • 16 7 8910118
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
therivler1 said: ScootyPuffSr said: therivler1 said: The new HSBC/Orchard is not in the quick summary. FW thread - see thread for details. It's not a simple process.

Actualy it has been in the quick summary for a significant period of time. It was under the "invitation only" because as far as I know everyone who has gotten the card was either invited through the mail or was invited through the website.

The point of why it was outside of the general list and in the "invitation only" category is that the general list was supposed to be for cards that anyone could apply for and receive TODAY. Not if you are grandfathered into, not if you have a special decoder ring, and not if you have a special invitation only code.

This is a different offer and is open to anyone; take a look at the thread. I received a 2K CL, and the only special decoder ring that I have is from a box of Cracker Jacks.

Uh, that was the web invitation that I was talking about and not every one gets the invite after entering their information. So I would still call (at least the no annual fee one) that invitation only. I don't modify the quick summary, keep it whereever you want. I just consider that to be an invitation.

rated:
Are there any signup deals for Diners Club? I have Citigold so I can get the annual fee waived but some free points/miles for signing up would be nice. I expect to be renting a bunch of cars in a month and it would be nice to have primary coverage instead of having to worry about my own auto insurance in case of problems.

From their website, it looks like I can get 1,000 points/miles per month that I have a transaction for a year.

rated:
meatballs said: Need you guys' advise...I searched but couldn't find something that would apply to my situation.

I, my wife and son are flying overseas this December, with each person booking about 17,000 miles round trip. We won't be renting cars or staying at hotels at our destination.

My question is: which is the best (ie. rewards/benefits) credit card to pay the airline tickets with?

I currently have Citi Platinum Dividend, Driver's Edge, AMEX Platinum Business, Sony Chase, BofA World Points and Penfed Platinum Rewards. Are there better cards worth applying for just this purpose?

Thank you.

I would get the Citi Premier Pass Elite card. You get 1 TY (Thank you) point for each mile that you fly. The card has an annual fee of $75 but has an opening bonus of 15,000 points (and somewhere on FW there is a link for 25,000 opening bonus points). You would earn 17,000 X 3 = 51000 flight points which can be transferred to TY points. The only down side is that you need matching purchase points (1:1). The opening bonus points count towards that match. Also it comes with a no fee 0% BT for 12 months.

Plus you'd earn points on the purchase amount (say you spend $3000 - then you'd earn another 3000 purchase points. So, by example, you'd earn 51,000 flight points + 3000 purchase points + 15,000 (or 25000) opening bonus points = 69,000 points which is worth apx. $690 (especially if you redeem for student loan payoff) less the $75 annual fee. Plus anytime you fly you'd get the same deal - even when you buy tickets for others - or even fly award travel when you charge the security fee. Not even considering the balance transfer this is a great card to have if you fly at all.

If you already have a TY account (which you probably do) then you can combine all your points,

rated:
madshana said: I would get the Citi Premier Pass Elite card. You get 1 TY (Thank you) point for each mile that you fly.

Thank you madshana, I will look into this.

rated:
ScootyPuffSr said: therivler1 said: ScootyPuffSr said: therivler1 said: The new HSBC/Orchard is not in the quick summary. FW thread - see thread for details. It's not a simple process.

Actualy it has been in the quick summary for a significant period of time. It was under the "invitation only" because as far as I know everyone who has gotten the card was either invited through the mail or was invited through the website.

The point of why it was outside of the general list and in the "invitation only" category is that the general list was supposed to be for cards that anyone could apply for and receive TODAY. Not if you are grandfathered into, not if you have a special decoder ring, and not if you have a special invitation only code.

This is a different offer and is open to anyone; take a look at the thread. I received a 2K CL, and the only special decoder ring that I have is from a box of Cracker Jacks.

Uh, that was the web invitation that I was talking about and not every one gets the invite after entering their information. So I would still call (at least the no annual fee one) that invitation only. I don't modify the quick summary, keep it whereever you want. I just consider that to be an invitation.

Ah, I see now.

There was another Orchard 2% card from a while ago, that was purely invitation only by mail. I would consider "invitation only" a card that you couldn't get if you weren't selected by the CC company to receive it. For this card, you can "force" an "invitation". This is kind of like applying for any other CC out there, if you don't qualify then you won't be accepted.

In any event - we are splitting hairs now about something really inconsequential

rated:
After shopping around some, I decided the American Express Blue Cash card is my best bet. I want a cash rewards card, and it is the best deal in the sense that it is unlimited in the amount of time I will be getting Cash Back. With that being said, I have a few questions, with this being my first non-bank issued Credit Card:

- I am a student (19yrs old), but I would guess I have good credit. I am not intererested in the Blue for Students, since it's not a Cash Back card. I'm not sure what my FICO score is, but I've been an authorized user on my parents' CC for 4 years, and I have had my own Wells Fargo CC for a year now with a $1300 limit and always paid on time. Should I have any problem getting approved for the Blue Cash?
- Should I call Wells Fargo and request my limit be raised on my current CC before I apply for the AMEX card?
- Is my best bet to apply online?
- When I apply online on AmericanExpress.com, what happens? Do I put in my information, then a while later get if I was approved or denied? At that point do I accept the offer or turn it down?

rated:
only got 1 of my IOWA bofa alumni $250 Cash Back after $250 purchase approved other is "pending".

i should have applied for 4

lol

rated:
brettdacosta said: What does Telecom Services with the Citi Home Rebate Card mean? I know BellSouth local land line services would count, but does this include cell phone services? I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone on this yet.

Thanks,
Brett

I can confirm that Citi Home Rebate gives 6% on Verizon wireless

rated:
3 questions:

1) I understand there is a hard pull when you apply for a business credit card, and that the limits aren't reported on the credit report - nor does the history of those cards. So doesn't help build credit, but do they hurt at all either? If i cancel a card every year and sign up for a different business credit card, will this hurt me more than 1 extra hard pull a year?

How can we track hard pulls on your credit history?

2) How long do potentially negative things take to come off your credit report. I have a 30 day past due on a Banana Republic card from 2003 .. that ive canceled since 2003. How long does it take to get this pulled off?

3) does it help or hurt to reduce a credit line on a card ive had for 7 years. I have a 4.5K credit line on this cap1 card and I wont be using it anymore. I dont want to cancel as this helps my credit report but will reducing the credit line help? say i have 30K credit line on other cards...

thanks in advance!!!!!

JB

rated:
Hi guys I wanted to get your opinion on the following. I am needing to purchase several new appliances for my new home and want to find the best credit card for this. All the appliances will be purchased from my local appliance store not some big box store with their CC's. It will be around a total of $3000. I would like to get any small discount on this and a 0% interest for 12 months or so so that I can pay it off by then. After I pay the CC off how long do I have to wait to cancel in order for it not to negatively impact my credit score, which by the way was 767. TIA

rated:
kehi66 said: Hi guys I wanted to get your opinion on the following. I am needing to purchase several new appliances for my new home and want to find the best credit card for this. All the appliances will be purchased from my local appliance store not some big box store with their CC's. It will be around a total of $3000. I would like to get any small discount on this and a 0% interest for 12 months or so so that I can pay it off by then. After I pay the CC off how long do I have to wait to cancel in order for it not to negatively impact my credit score, which by the way was 767. TIA

If you are looking to use the 0% interest for 12 months, there really is no point in closing the card after you pay it off. The impact will have already been done, as the inquiry will affect your credit score mainly for the first 6 months after you apply, and the balance you are carrying, which will be 0 after the 12 month period.

The best card for you to get is a card that gives you $100 or more after your first purchase and has the 0% for 12 months purchases offer. One card I know of off the top of my head is the Sony Card from Chase (if you search "Sony" in the finance forum it will pop up).

rated:
bzazn said: 3 questions:

1) I understand there is a hard pull when you apply for a business credit card, and that the limits aren't reported on the credit report - nor does the history of those cards. So doesn't help build credit, but do they hurt at all either? If i cancel a card every year and sign up for a different business credit card, will this hurt me more than 1 extra hard pull a year?

How can we track hard pulls on your credit history?

2) How long do potentially negative things take to come off your credit report. I have a 30 day past due on a Banana Republic card from 2003 .. that ive canceled since 2003. How long does it take to get this pulled off?

3) does it help or hurt to reduce a credit line on a card ive had for 7 years. I have a 4.5K credit line on this cap1 card and I wont be using it anymore. I dont want to cancel as this helps my credit report but will reducing the credit line help? say i have 30K credit line on other cards...

thanks in advance!!!!!

JB

1. A business card does not help or hurt, provided that business card does not report on your personal credit report, as some do. If you are going to apply for a new business card, a reason to keep the old one open is to reallocate your current credit line to your new card, provided the two cards are from the same issuer. After reallocating, you can go ahead and cancel the old card.

You can check your hard pulls by pulling your credit report. There will be an "Inquiry" section, which shows your hard and soft pulls. They will fall off after two years or if you "bump" them off. To see all your inquiries, you will have to get credit reports from all three bureaus, as issuers usually only pull from one or the other.

2. Negative items can stay on your credit report for up to 7 years, so...

3. Unless you are reallocating your credit line, you do not want to reduce your credit lines, as it will hurt your score. This is because your total credit is used to calculate your utilization (current balances divided by total current credit). The lower this number is the better it is for you.

rated:
I presently use the Blue Cash. But you only earn 5% rebates on supermarkets, gasoline and Drugstore after spending $6,500.

Aside from the calculator that was mentioned earlier at creditcardtuneup, I just came across a calculator that helps you calculate the best cash reward card to get. Here is the link :

Cash Back Credit Card Calculator.

It was quite interesting because it shows you the best combination of cards as well. For me it looks like I could earn more rebates by supplementing the Blue Cash with another card like the Chase Freedom.

rated:
meatballs said: Need you guys' advise...I searched but couldn't find something that would apply to my situation.

I, my wife and son are flying overseas this December, with each person booking about 17,000 miles round trip. We won't be renting cars or staying at hotels at our destination.

My question is: which is the best (ie. rewards/benefits) credit card to pay the airline tickets with?

I currently have Citi Platinum Dividend, Driver's Edge, AMEX Platinum Business, Sony Chase, BofA World Points and Penfed Platinum Rewards. Are there better cards worth applying for just this purpose?

Thank you.
Hands down, the Chase BP Card if you don't have one already. Chase BP
Chase Terms and Conditions said:

Earn 5% Rebates at all BP locations, 2% Rebates on eligible travel and dining purchases and 1% Rebates on all other eligible purchases. And for up to the first 60 days, your Rebates will be doubled (10%, 4% & 2% respectively).

rated:
Friends, I need your suggestion on credit card. Here is my requirement.

I am an IT professional and looking for a new credit card. Right now I have only a credit union card. I spent at least $1000 on credit card every month and looking for a Cash Back offer. Any suggestions would be helpful to me. Thanks in Advance.

rated:
Spoon feeding the lazy = LINK
rakeshra said: Friends, I need your suggestion on credit card. Here is my requirement.

I am an IT professional and looking for a new credit card. Right now I have only a credit union card. I spent at least $1000 on credit card every month and looking for a Cash Back offer. Any suggestions would be helpful to me. Thanks in Advance.

rated:
golf247 said: Spoon feeding the lazy = LINK
rakeshra said: Friends, I need your suggestion on credit card. Here is my requirement.

Too funny

rated:
Yeah.. I am bit lazy an confused with other topics. Thanks for spoon feeding. Is there any good Cash Back deals from BOA or Citi or Chase? Thanks

rated:
rakeshra said: Yeah.. I am bit lazy an confused with other topics. Thanks for spoon feeding. Is there any good Cash Back deals from BOA or Citi or Chase? Thanks
You moron

rated:
Anybody has applied for Geico Master card? Website says save upto $48 in GEICO premium, any one has any experiance with this card?

rated:
rakeshra said: Yeah.. I am bit lazy an confused with other topics. Thanks for spoon feeding. Is there any good Cash Back deals from BOA or Citi or Chase? Thanks

Try the quick summary.

rated:
Added new WaMu offer for Gas, Groceries, Drugstores, and...Dry Cleaning. (Dry cleaning? wtf? LOL!) Anyway, it's a pretty sweet deal. Card has tiers to get the max Cash Back, but the tiers are lower than AMEX Blue Cash.

Removed extra Citi Driver's Edge.

rated:
Any opinions on what card I should get would be greatly appreciated.

I'm someone who always pays my balance in full at the end of the month. Right now my main card is an American Express with Rewards, but I'm looking for an additional card to use at places where American Express isn't accepted. (Additionally, I'm beginning to wonder why I'm using AMEX considering that I've amassed quite a few rewards points, but everytime I want to use them I find they're not good for what I need ... e.g. certain hotels, certain airlines, etc. Not to mention the annual fee.)

So, I'm basically looking for a good rewards or cash-back card with no annual fee. I know that some of you really stay up to date on the latest and greatest cards, so your input is very valued.

Thank you.

-LuckySixteen

rated:
I've been approved for a 400k business loan. 75k is working capital and the rest is for building. Anything I buy for the office, I can get reimbursed by sending in my receipts. So, I might as well get a good card and rack up on rewards. My score is 785 and I'll be buying many random things. Any suggestions for a CC? Thanks.

rated:
vwet9394 said: brettdacosta said: What does Telecom Services with the Citi Home Rebate Card mean? I know BellSouth local land line services would count, but does this include cell phone services? I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone on this yet.

Thanks,
Brett

I can confirm that Citi Home Rebate gives 6% on Verizon wireless

Thanks for this post, I was wondering myself what "telecom" services meant. I just got my Home Rebate card and I happen to use Verizon Wireless, so I'm going to try it out.

Here's a bummer for me though, my electric company, Stream Energy, and gas company, Reliant Energy don't allow you to pay by credit card unless you pay a handling charge of about $3.50!! I guess in summer months when my electric bill is very high it will be worth it to pay the service charge for the 6% rebate though. Maybe I can even overpay the amount and get a credit in my electric bill account and pay for multiple months at once this way.

And my city's utilities (water, trash pickup, etc.) doesn't currently allow you to pay by credit card either although there website says "soon someday in the future" they will allow it. Would the Home Rebate card pick up these utilities too?

One other thing, I notice the Home rebate card offer ad seems to change around where sometimes the 6% rebate is offered for 6 months and sometimes for 12 months. As far as I know when I applied it was supposed to be for 12 months but I saw no confirmation of that on my paperwork when I received my card. Anyone else notice this?

rated:
tuffghost said: One other thing, I notice the Home rebate card offer ad seems to change around where sometimes the 6% rebate is offered for 6 months and sometimes for 12 months. As far as I know when I applied it was supposed to be for 12 months but I saw no confirmation of that on my paperwork when I received my card. Anyone else notice this?

Yeah, I noticed that too. I think I even commented on it before. If I remember correctly, you have to apply directly from the Citi site to get the 12 month promo, rather than through a 3rd party. Some lucky folks have been able to get the 12 mo. just by converting from another Citi card, but when I tried, I was told I'd have to apply for a new card separately to get the promo. (Not a good retention candidate, apparently.)

rated:
Guys,

I am in the market for a used car and was thinking of getting 1 or 2 credit cards for 0% BT offers, can someone recommend the good credit cards and the offers going on right now, my credit score is 770+

Any help will be highly appreciated..!!

rated:
dp1 said: Guys,

I am in the market for a used car and was thinking of getting 1 or 2 credit cards for 0% BT offers, can someone recommend the good credit cards and the offers going on right now, my credit score is 770+

Any help will be highly appreciated..!!

try the first line of the quick summary

rated:
Hi,

I have a question for those of you with a Chase Freedom Visa card. I just started using it, and on my online statement, stores like Shaws and Price Chopper supermarkets are appearing as "other" (and so probably not eligible for 3% Cash Back). Any of you have any experience with getting Cash Back for these stores? Also, is there anyway you can "tell" them that something is a grocery store, or is their decision final?

Thanks!

rated:
bajar22 said: Hi,

I have a question for those of you with a Chase Freedom Visa card. I just started using it, and on my online statement, stores like Shaws and Price Chopper supermarkets are appearing as "other" (and so probably not eligible for 3% Cash Back). Any of you have any experience with getting Cash Back for these stores? Also, is there anyway you can "tell" them that something is a grocery store, or is their decision final?

Thanks!

You should probably wait until your actual statement comes, as Chase often codes stores differently before a statement ends. There is no way to "tell" Chase that a store is a certain way, as they simply go by the coding that the merchant provides to them.

FYI - There is a list of Merchants and how they are coded for the Chase Freedom Cards here. It has more categories for the Dynamic Rewards program or Signature versions of the card, but the coding should be the same. No one has posted about Shaws or Price Chopper.

rated:
Thanks, djspray! I'll look over my first statement and report back.

rated:
Now you can turn your rewards into carbon offsets via this GE card. link
Direct link to website for card. link

rated:
I've been trying to find a credit card with Cash Back on purchases, but I'm not sure which ones are considered good credit cards and which ones aren't...I was wondering if y'all can give me some feedback on this..Thanks!

rated:
I have a question. My financial aid just fell through. I was wanting to know if there are any good 0% on purchase cards. thanks.

rated:
Guess what people, this isn't the thread for you to ask "What Credit Card Should I Get?" and be spoonfed the info. It was designed to ASSIST you in FIGURING IT OUT FOR YOURSELF. It's one small step below spoon-feeding, and it's on the first page. Read that for f's sake.

rated:
bajar22 said: Hi,

Thanks!

Tom Thumb, Albertsons, and Kroger all show as other. I am pretty sure they qualify. I have not tried to do the math though.

rated:
MaddHatter said: Guess what people, this isn't the thread for you to ask "What Credit Card Should I Get?" and be spoonfed the info. It was designed to ASSIST you in FIGURING IT OUT FOR YOURSELF. It's one small step below spoon-feeding, and it's on the first page. Read that for f's sake.

As long as it took you to write that you could have put something more constructive. I guess I should have just stared a new thread. or posted in the wrong one.

For anyone else that didn't see it here's the link Low APR on Purchases / 0% BT

rated:
xCarsonx said: As long as it took you to write that you could have put something more constructive. I guess I should have just stared a new thread. or posted in the wrong one.

Would you like me to wipe your nose and powder your butt, too?

rated:
xCarsonx said: MaddHatter said: Guess what people, this isn't the thread for you to ask "What Credit Card Should I Get?" and be spoonfed the info. It was designed to ASSIST you in FIGURING IT OUT FOR YOURSELF. It's one small step below spoon-feeding, and it's on the first page. Read that for f's sake.

As long as it took you to write that you could have put something more constructive. I guess I should have just stared a new thread. or posted in the wrong one.

For anyone else that didn't see it here's the link Low APR on Purchases / 0% BT

Yes, I suppose you want a cookie for not making a whole new thread like so many others do. But you DID post in the wrong thread (there is no right thread, maybe we need a popup that tells people what this forum is and isn't for). This isn't the "What card should I get FAQ?" as in "schmucks come in here and frequently ask this question" it's "here's the answers in one place for those who can't be bothered to seach, though you'll still need to do some reading"... again, one small step below spoonfeeding. Quit your bitching. (Yes, I'm aware of the irony of my bitching, but honestly, is any other "regular" getting sick of all the stupid spoon-feeding requests and repetitive "my situation is so special and this should be my personal help board" new topics?)

rated:
jmz668 said: xCarsonx said: As long as it took you to write that you could have put something more constructive. I guess I should have just stared a new thread. or posted in the wrong one.

Would you like me to wipe your nose and powder your butt, too?

I hope the next time you ask some one for anything they tell you the same. We all joined about the same time sorry if i am not as elite as you. Maybe I can start my run of 618 smart aleck posts.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 16 7 8910118
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014