• 17 8 91011118
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
chill out everyone....

if you have a question, ask it...

if you know the answer, write it...

if the answer is no one can know or it depends, point towards the quick summary and say so

that being said, we can't know what YOU* personally spend in each and every category, how many miles YOU* drive each year, and how many airline tickets YOU* buy

*generic you, no one in particular

rated:
Scooty, I'm not trying to be difficult, I swear. But you realize that what you state is exactly the philosophy all the noobs have and that's why we have 50 new assinine threads a day here, plus the pages of spoon-feeding requests in existing threads (i.e. this one)? Navigating thru it all is beyond irritating (I know, that's what the rating filter is for; I should probably start using it and just live with missing the occasional thread/post of value that someone simply disagreed with).

rated:
Signed up for the mtvU card! Hope its good!

rated:
Hey guys,

I will be going back to school and will be charging atleast $3500 dollars to my credit card every month. This will continue atleast for a year. I want maximum benefit from a credit card that either gives me Cash Back or good rewards. Cash Back was obviously preferred.

Apart from AMEX, are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

rated:
gpower25 said: Hey guys,

I will be going back to school and will be charging atleast $3500 dollars to my credit card every month. This will continue atleast for a year. I want maximum benefit from a credit card that either gives me Cash Back or good rewards. Cash Back was obviously preferred.

Apart from AMEX, are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

yes, I suggest you pick out the best general purpose card for your needs from the quick summary

sans any more information, that is the best I can do

rated:
I wouldn't advise Chase....they are the worst credit card I've ever had. 3% transfer balance w/ $1k cap.

rated:
beavbaby said: I wouldn't advise Chase....they are the worst credit card I've ever had. 3% transfer balance w/ $1k cap.

I like Chase Freedom. I'm really digging the 3% back for the vet and pet stores.

rated:
Can someone recommend a card for me? $2,300 balance on a Chase card with 16.24% purchase APR. It's my only credit card. I'd like to transfer that balance and also get a $1,500 cash advance with the plan of paying everything off within the first year. No other purchases/cash planned on the new card. My last credit rating was about 780. Thanks.

rated:
SirDante said: Can someone recommend a card for me? $2,300 balance on a Chase card with 16.24% purchase APR. It's my only credit card. I'd like to transfer that balance and also get a $1,500 cash advance with the plan of paying everything off within the first year. No other purchases/cash planned on the new card. My last credit rating was about 780. Thanks.
I believe you were answered already

rated:
I sell on eBay quite a lot and use USPS for shipping. Just noticed that the Hilton HHonors gives 5 points for every dollar spent at USPS. I'll probably charge over $1,000 by end the of the year, and drop off my amount of selling a little. Does anyone else use this card? 10,000 Free points is enough for a free night stay (I believe 7,500 is). So all I have to do is charge $1,500 at USPS and I get a free night, vs. getting $15 Cash Back from my citi card (need to get the new PenFed card too so I get more Cash Back). I don't travel a lot, but when I graduate college I'm sure free hotel stays would come in handy. Any opinions?

rated:
I am planning to get an Credit Card which has virtual number feature and setting limit and also Disover with 5% CashBack. If any Disover card offers this feature, probably I can get that one instead of getting 2. If there is a signup bonus, that would be awesome.

Can somebody point me to right card?

TIA

rated:
kuppusarmy,

Theres a lot of Cash Back cards available out there. The one I personally use is the Citi Dividend Platinum Select. Make sure you read the disclosures thoroughly as most of the Cash Back cards will jip you or are straight up not suited to your needs (for example some Cash Back cards are tiered "up to 1% Cash Back"). I hope this helps.

rated:
kuppusamy said: I am planning to get an Credit Card which has virtual number feature and setting limit and also Disover with 5% CashBack. If any Disover card offers this feature, probably I can get that one instead of getting 2. If there is a signup bonus, that would be awesome.

Can somebody point me to right card?

TIA
Discover offers virtual card numbers on all of its cards, however with Discover, you can't set an individual credit limit on virtual card numbers.

rated:
BlackKnight85 said: I sell on eBay quite a lot and use USPS for shipping. Just noticed that the Hilton HHonors gives 5 points for every dollar spent at USPS. I'll probably charge over $1,000 by end the of the year, and drop off my amount of selling a little. Does anyone else use this card? 10,000 Free points is enough for a free night stay (I believe 7,500 is). So all I have to do is charge $1,500 at USPS and I get a free night, vs. getting $15 Cash Back from my citi card (need to get the new PenFed card too so I get more Cash Back). I don't travel a lot, but when I graduate college I'm sure free hotel stays would come in handy. Any opinions?Yes, and not only is the Hilton AMEX a good choice for USPS charges, but I always recommend people include Hilton CITI Visa Signature as part of their App-O-Rama, since it gives more signup bonus points, but most importantly, Citi tends to give out LARGE credit limits on this card, regardless of your other Citi cards.

rated:
SUCKISSTAPLES said: Yes, and not only is the Hilton AMEX a good choice for USPS charges, but I always recommend people include Hilton CITI Visa Signature as part of their App-O-Rama, since it gives more signup bonus points, but most importantly, Citi tends to give out LARGE credit limits on this card, regardless of your other Citi cards.

From what I've read here on FWF, another great thing about this CC is that it is considered a co-branded card, and therefore doesn't count in the 2 business, 2 personal and the citi professional every 60 days rule.

Sis, or anyone else, have there been any problems in moving credit line around between the Hilton and other Citi cards?

rated:
dragoon976 said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: Yes, and not only is the Hilton AMEX a good choice for USPS charges, but I always recommend people include Hilton CITI Visa Signature as part of their App-O-Rama, since it gives more signup bonus points, but most importantly, Citi tends to give out LARGE credit limits on this card, regardless of your other Citi cards.

From what I've read here on FWF, another great thing about this CC is that it is considered a co-branded card, and therefore doesn't count in the 2 business, 2 personal and the citi professional every 60 days rule.

Sis, or anyone else, have there been any problems in moving credit line around between the Hilton and other Citi cards?

In Scott's AOR thread (archived) I believe he had problems reallocating the lines and ended up converting the card to one that reported the credit limit.

rated:
Does Discover ever offer free money to get you to take one of their cards (on sign up, or after one purchase etc)? I get offers in the mail all the time from them and figure I should eventually get a DC, just haven't done it yet since I figure maybe I'll hold out if its worthwhile...

rated:
Discover Miles gives "miles" for signup, I think they can be converted to other rewards.

Also, once you have a Discover card, they sometimes run bonus cash promos for using a card you havent used in a while

rated:
how long on average do you need to have a card before they will consider raising your credit limit? 6 months? The reason I ask is because I have about 20k in 0% expiring in October and I have a 0% card that I got about 4 months ago and I would like to up the credit limit to the max so I can transfer as much of that 20k to the new card.

rated:
Which would you recommend for an everyday use card? Is a regular AMEX card better than an AMEX with BoA? The reason I ask is because I have two cards with BoA already, and have never used AMEX customer service/perks (for what I'm reading on various posts though, it seems great).

Which is better for building your credit? Does AMEX look more favorably if you have a card with them if you wanted to move up within their cards later, or does it not matter? And finally, does anyone have experience with the WorldPoints rewards program? Is it better than AMEX's rewards? Thanks.

rated:
Hi I'm looking to open a joint credit card for me and my brother. We are buying a house together and want to get a card that we will use for the house.

This is probably a vague question but what would be the best card for us to get? We both have extremely good credit so I don't think we will have any trouble getting a card. I currently have a VISA and DISCOVER CARD. Would I be better off just adding him to my discover card or should we get a whole new account just to use for the house.

Thanks
Jason

rated:
Jay1187 said: Hi I'm looking to open a joint credit card for me and my brother. We are buying a house together and want to get a card that we will use for the house.

This is probably a vague question but what would be the best card for us to get? We both have extremely good credit so I don't think we will have any trouble getting a card. I currently have a VISA and DISCOVER CARD. Would I be better off just adding him to my discover card or should we get a whole new account just to use for the house.

Thanks
Jason

Assuming you know all the dangers in having a joint credit card (which pale in comparison to a joint house), there isn't anything magical about picking a joint card. I would just pick the highest Cash Back general purpose (or home repair) card you can find on the list.

Visa might be accepted at slightly more places but I'd say I only have problems with Discover once a year or less.

The Chase Professional MC gives 3% back on home improvement according to the list.

rated:
Joe318 said: Which would you recommend for an everyday use card?

The one in the quick summary that will give you the most Cash Back.

Is a regular AMEX card better than an AMEX with BoA?

It depends. I can't think of any good pure BOA (although there are some tasty FIA) so shot in the dark you may find a better AMEX.

The reason I ask is because I have two cards with BoA already, and have never used AMEX customer service/perks (for what I'm reading on various posts though, it seems great).

From what I've read, you have to be paying $400-$2500 to get any type of perks from AMEX that are above and beyond free Visa/MC perks.

Which is better for building your credit?

It makes no difference

Does AMEX look more favorably if you have a card with them if you wanted to move up within their cards later, or does it not matter?

The longer history with a company, the more it helps to get a high limit (but not as much as high income).

And finally, does anyone have experience with the WorldPoints rewards program? Is it better than AMEX's rewards? Thanks.

Worldpoints sucks.

rated:
ScootyPuffSr said:

Worldpoints sucks.

Any particular reason?

rated:
because the rewards payout is far less than the other cards listed in this thread. Please take a look at the Quicksummary of this thread (on the first page) and compare the other rewards cards which offer greater payouts than Worldpoints.

rated:
I'm looking for a VISA or MC to use to pay college tuition. Wouldn't use it for more than $5000 per year as everything elso goes on my AMEX. So basically am looking for highest Cash Back on low-ish amounts... Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

rated:
New good one here Citi Amex Plat

rated:
PacificNW said: I'm looking for a VISA or MC to use to pay college tuition. Wouldn't use it for more than $5000 per year as everything elso goes on my AMEX. So basically am looking for highest Cash Back on low-ish amounts... Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Yes, I point you towards the quick summary where you can get between 1.25% and 2% Cash Back on general purpose spending depending on how much work you are willing to do. (i.e. willing to open a brokerage account, etc)

rated:
Usually 6 months, but they all seem to be different. It does not hurt to ask or email them.

MisterMe said: how long on average do you need to have a card before they will consider raising your credit limit? 6 months? The reason I ask is because I have about 20k in 0% expiring in October and I have a 0% card that I got about 4 months ago and I would like to up the credit limit to the max so I can transfer as much of that 20k to the new card.

rated:
Excellent find. Worth to look into.

coolbargains said: New good one here Citi Amex Plat

rated:

rated:
duna said: Excellent find. Worth to look into.

how come its a good deal..
cuz it surely gives you 5 points at gas stations, super market and drugs store butt at the time of redemption u ll need 8000 points to get $50 check

rated:
nm

rated:
ajnabee said: duna said: Excellent find. Worth to look into.

how come its a good deal..
cuz it surely gives you 5 points at gas stations, super market and drugs store butt at the time of redemption u ll need 8000 points to get $50 check

Hey Mr Stranger (ajnabee)...be objective in your comments okay
This may not be a good card for you and you may not want to maximize your cents/TYP. I have had success getting flights and others for more value.
If not,worst case... I know I can always get a 1000 check for student loan with 100000 points. So, dont judge a card rewards program if it doesnt suit you

rated:
yeah even the bofa cards now tier their rates were you don't get 1% until enough points are reached like 25,000 so if you reach the tier you get the true 5% effectively yes?

i might see if i can product transfer my premierpass to the citi platinum. I have a platinum skymiles which is more per year last time i checked and less features.

Citi is just selling a WORLD/SIGNATURE equivalent card in AMEX form for less dinero than the real AMEX platinum. it doesn't look nearly as cool either but i don't really care. i will call and ask about AMEX to AMEX product transfer

rated:
rigor said: yeah even the bofa cards now tier their rates were you don't get 1% until enough points are reached like 25,000 so if you reach the tier you get the true 5% effectively yes?

i might see if i can product transfer my premierpass to the citi platinum. I have a platinum skymiles which is more per year last time i checked and less features.

Citi is just selling a WORLD/SIGNATURE equivalent card in AMEX form for less dinero than the real AMEX platinum. it doesn't look nearly as cool either but i don't really care. i will call and ask about AMEX to AMEX product transfer

For the Citi AMEX Platinum card....they ask for 50k or more in HHI and they dont allow to reallocate CLs..FYI

rated:
I currently have a BofA Plainum plus visa card. However I do not get any rewards, Cash Back from this card. i was looking to upgrade my card to another BofA credit card (I am pretty positive i will be approved). I am thinking since i already have a bofA cc since 03/2005 , if i upgrade this to a new one(BofA), my credit history will not get affected negatively.(Am i right in thinking this??) and I dont have to cancel a BofA card which really does not give me any rewards/Cash Back
I was thinking of applying for the Bank of America Rewards American Express Card or the Bank of America WorldPoint Platinum Plus. I am not sure which one is better. I defnitely do not want to pay an annual fee.I have gone thru rates/fees for both and both are acceptable by me because I usually pay all my bills much before the due date.
Is there anything I am missing in applying for these cards? Any suggestions /help is appreciated. I dont want to take a wrong step applying for this new card.
From the features it seems the Worldpoints is a better card. However, i would prefer to have a visa card instead of a mastercard.
thanks

rated:
no way to convert a premierpass/other to citi platinum AMEX

rated:
01LX said: I just got the AMEX Gold w/ann fee waived for the first year and rec'd my signup bonus.

Now I'm ready to close it. It doesn't have a pre-set limit. Is that how this card is? If this is the case, can I still reallocate CL from this card to my other AMEX Simplycash card?
gold sounds like their CHARGE card not their credit card. (Delta gold is their only "gold" credit card)

Charge cards have no preset limit and you cannot reallocate anything to or from them

rated:
So PG&E only takes Visa. Which has been fine because I needed to rack up about 1000 points on my United card to get up to 70,000. But now that I'm there, what's the best Visa card? Most of my stuff is either Mastercard or AMEX (and seemingly all the REALLY good stuff for everyday purchases like the Fidelity, Starwood, Orchard 2% or even my standard goto Citi TYR cards are not Visa). I'm leaning towards using my Chase Freedom unless somebody could suggest something better for PG&E.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 17 8 91011118
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014