• filter:
  • 185 86 878889114
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Got an offer for AMEX Blue Sky ... spend $500 in 3 months, get 30,000 bonus points (7500 points = $100). No annual fee. Seems like a no brainer to apply.

I see very little conversation on this card/offer. Is the offer very limited (very small targetted audience) or do people feel it's not worthwhile pursuing?

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Got an offer for AMEX Blue Sky ... spend $500 in 3 months, get 30,000 bonus points (7500 points = $100). No annual fee. Seems like a no brainer to apply.

I see very little conversation on this card/offer. Is the offer very limited (very small targetted audience) or do people feel it's not worthwhile pursuing?

it's not mentioned because in the world of AMEX cards (including the AMEX Blue family), the sky card small potatoes. It's essentially a 1.33% CB card (1 point per dollar on everything). I would rather have two other AMEX Blue cards (three if you count the old one)

If you think a $300 signup bonus is worth the credit pull, it's an ok offer.

rated:
imbatman said:   If you think a $300 signup bonus is worth the credit pull, it's an ok offer.Thanks.

BTW, 30,000 points = $400 signup bonus.

rated:
Duh. Thx

rated:
imbatman said:   
It depends.
If it's a bank points that transferable (Chase UR, AMEX MR, Citi TY, US Bank Flexpoints, etc). you need to use or transfer the points before cancelling the card. If they are partner rewards (skymiles, SPG points, HHonors pts, BA Avios), you can cancel whenever, and your points will remain so long as you meet the partner rules for keeping your points eligible

There are cards with clawback provisions for cancels in the first six months. Haven't heard of them being enforced, but I would cancel before month 10 or 11. Even then only after a call to retentions absent strategic reasons (e.g. card can be gotten multiple times after x months post cancel).

rated:
Sesq said:   imbatman said:   
It depends.
If it's a bank points that transferable (Chase UR, AMEX MR, Citi TY, US Bank Flexpoints, etc). you need to use or transfer the points before cancelling the card. If they are partner rewards (skymiles, SPG points, HHonors pts, BA Avios), you can cancel whenever, and your points will remain so long as you meet the partner rules for keeping your points eligible

There are cards with clawback provisions for cancels in the first six months. Haven't heard of them being enforced, but I would cancel before month 10 or 11. Even then only after a call to retentions absent strategic reasons (e.g. card can be gotten multiple times after x months post cancel).

Huh. I've never heard reports of anyone getting their points clawed back. I don't pay much attention to it though. I usually do what you suggest (use pts in first 6 months, close around month 11)

rated:
hi, i recently applied for the Chase Marriott credit card which has an annual fee but comes with an annual e-certificate for one night which i think will make having the card worthwhile.

my problem is i didn't get instant approval. are there phone numbers i can call to ask about the status of my appliation? i'm holding off on purchasing some stuff because of this (i want the purchases to count toward minimum purchase for this card).

thank you all!

rated:
PFAgent said:   hi, i recently applied for the Chase Marriott credit card which has an annual fee but comes with an annual e-certificate for one night which i think will make having the card worthwhile.

my problem is i didn't get instant approval. are there phone numbers i can call to ask about the status of my appliation? i'm holding off on purchasing some stuff because of this (i want the purchases to count toward minimum purchase for this card).

thank you all!

Try 1-888-245-0625.

rated:
PFAgent said:   hi, i recently applied for the Chase Marriott credit card which has an annual fee but comes with an annual e-certificate for one night which i think will make having the card worthwhile.

thank you all!

call Chase reconsideration
888-245-0625

rated:

thank you all!

888-245-0625
I recommend googling "credit card reconsideration" to learn how to handle the call.
First purchase gets you the Marriott points.

rated:
thank you all... you guys are fast!!!

jewsus, thanks for the google rec too... i will do that.

rated:
ok, i called and he couldn't help me because it was still under review by the verification department.

would it be bad if i were to apply for another credit card (Priority Club) from Chase in the meantime? i don't know if this looks bad to them or not... perhaps.

thanks!

rated:
You should not apply for another chase personal card for 90 days or so.

rated:
Hey all,

I've been reading the last 5 or so pages to get some credit card info. I'll admit I'm a bit overwhelmed, so was looking for advice or a recommendation for a card to keep and use- not one just for the signup bonuses.

I'm recently married, and my wife and I want to get a card together (insert joke here). I'm not ready to have a lot of cards etc. We've recently bought a house so I know our credit is about 720-740. I don't think will spend 25k annually yet, but it's close. I estimate we will spend around 20k combined but 25k may be possible. We don't fly often but I'd say on average 1-2 flights per year. I think we will mostly use the card for paying monthly bills/utilities, groceries, gas, shopping at dept stores, restaurants, and travel ( tried to order them from most to least).

Also our checking acct is with Chase bank, if that impacts anything. Lastly, I would prefer it not be a Visa, but if a visa is worth it then that's fine..
So if anyone could recommend somewhere to start, that would be much appreciated.

TIA

rated:
How many 2% everything cards are there?

Priceline Visa
Fidelity AMEX
Orchard 2% (no long available?)
Chase Spark Business (annual fee)
Discover Escape (annual fee)
FNBO (12 months)
Capital One Venture (towards travel)

Any other ones kicking around?

rated:
Usbank 5/2/1 card pick utilities and one of the others as 5% categories. 2% groceries.
Why not get a couple spenders?
AMEX blue cash preferred for 6% groceries up to $6000/year
Penfed rewards for 5% gas
Citi forward for 5x Ty points dining an bookstores.

My wife and I are AUs on our everyday spending cards

rated:
mattun said:   How many 2% everything cards are there?

Priceline Visa
Fidelity AMEX
FNBO (12 months)

NASA FCU Platinum Cash

rated:
rama13 said:   mattun said:   How many 2% everything cards are there?

Priceline Visa
Fidelity AMEX
FNBO (12 months)

NASA FCU Platinum Cash

Chase Spark ??? You mean Capital One.

rated:
Does anyone know whether Chase BA allows you to use the credit card number immediately after applying. I have to make an urgent trip to UK in the coming week so considering applying for this card to maximize BA miles. Thanks.

rated:
rama13 said:   mattun said:   How many 2% everything cards are there?

Priceline Visa
Fidelity AMEX
FNBO (12 months)

NASA FCU Platinum Cash

You will need to spend more than 2000 a month
Rebate is based on net monthly purchases as follows:
1% rebate for purchases up to $1,000
1.25% rebate for purchases from $1,001 up to $2,000
2% rebate for purchases from $2,001 or more

rated:
Yeah, that was kind of a bummer on the monthly scaling, but it still beats the Capital One 1.5% if you use it right.

rated:
svap said:   
rama13 said:   NASA FCU Platinum Cash

You will need to spend more than 2000 a month
Rebate is based on net monthly purchases as follows:
1% rebate for purchases up to $1,000
1.25% rebate for purchases from $1,001 up to $2,000
2% rebate for purchases from $2,001 or more

No, it's annual as discussed here: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1187322/

rated:
terpsftw said:   Hey all,

I've been reading the last 5 or so pages to get some credit card info. I'll admit I'm a bit overwhelmed, so was looking for advice or a recommendation for a card to keep and use- not one just for the signup bonuses.

I'm recently married, and my wife and I want to get a card together (insert joke here). I'm not ready to have a lot of cards etc. We've recently bought a house so I know our credit is about 720-740. I don't think will spend 25k annually yet, but it's close. I estimate we will spend around 20k combined but 25k may be possible. We don't fly often but I'd say on average 1-2 flights per year. I think we will mostly use the card for paying monthly bills/utilities, groceries, gas, shopping at dept stores, restaurants, and travel ( tried to order them from most to least).

Also our checking acct is with Chase bank, if that impacts anything. Lastly, I would prefer it not be a Visa, but if a visa is worth it then that's fine..
So if anyone could recommend somewhere to start, that would be much appreciated.

TIA

get chase freedom. Yes its a visa card,but the ultimate rewards program it is tied to is very nice. Also, because of your chase checking acct, you'll get bonus ultimate reward points monthly. No annual fee on the card, and it includes rotating 5% categories for even more Cash Back earning opportunities.

rated:
Chase Freedom also comes in a MasterCard flavor.

rated:
A few months ago, there was a 30k bonus for the AMEX Starwoods Preferred Guest. Is this a recurring thing like the Chase Southwest 50k or should I just get the 10k bonus one available now? Thanks.

rated:
I'm looking for credit cards with reoccurring annual benefits with value exceeding the cost of the annual fee. some examples:

chase priority club visa: 1 free night > $49 annual fee
chase hyatt visa: 1 free night > $75 annual fee
chase Marriott rewards premier visa: 1 free night > $85 annual fee
us bank club carlson premier visa: 40,000 points > $75 annual fee

any other cards with anniversary or annual benefits with value clearly greater than annual fee? thanks in advance!

rated:
gunsharp said:   A few months ago, there was a 30k bonus for the AMEX Starwoods Preferred Guest. Is this a recurring thing like the Chase Southwest 50k or should I just get the 10k bonus one available now? Thanks.
It has recurred annually for the past 3 years (2010-12).
Do not take a 10k offer I'm pretty sure there's a common 25k offer.

rated:
TempName21 said:   I'm looking for credit cards with reoccurring annual benefits with value exceeding the cost of the annual fee. some examples:

chase priority club visa: 1 free night > $49 annual fee
chase hyatt visa: 1 free night > $75 annual fee
chase Marriott rewards premier visa: 1 free night > $85 annual fee
us bank club carlson premier visa: 40,000 points > $75 annual fee

any other cards with anniversary or annual benefits with value clearly greater than annual fee? thanks in advance!

I'll respond in 2 categories
1) no brainers (for me)
AMEX Personal and Business Delta Platinum cards - both have $150 annual fees, and both come with a free companion pass (I always redeem for a ticket more than $150)
Barclay's US Air card - $89 annual fee, 10k points on anniversary.

2) perceived value can be more than the annual fee, but not for everyone
AMEX platinum card - $450 annual fee, $200 in airfare credit in a year, and annual lounge access (worth $300-$500), among other things
Chase Ritz card - $395 annual fee - $200 in airfare credit and Lounge Club membership
Citi HHonors Reserve card - $95 annual fee, guaranteed HHonors gold status (free internet and breakfast - worth around $20 or more per day, pays for annual fee after 5 days if not already gold)

rated:
Hi imbatman,

Can you please share the link for AMEX Personal Delta Platinum card with a free companion pass? I was not able to find that.

Thanks

rated:
sureshkumarksk said:   Hi imbatman,

Can you please share the link for AMEX Personal Delta Platinum card with a free companion pass? I was not able to find that.

Thanks

all of them offer it (note it's after the first year of card membership) as it's a standard benefit of the card. I couldn't find any info about it on any of the application pages though.
details of how it works from delta
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/plannin...

the link on the delta page is for 30,000 miles and 5,000 MQMs.
this is a better offer. I created a thread on it a while ago, but it appears archived.
https://www304.americanexpress.com/personal-card-application/app...
35,000 miles and 10,000 MQMs

rated:
imbatman said:   gunsharp said:   A few months ago, there was a 30k bonus for the AMEX Starwoods Preferred Guest. Is this a recurring thing like the Chase Southwest 50k or should I just get the 10k bonus one available now? Thanks.

Is there a typical time of the year that the 30k offer shows up? Or is it random?

rated:
kn9ght said:   imbatman said:   gunsharp said:   A few months ago, there was a 30k bonus for the AMEX Starwoods Preferred Guest. Is this a recurring thing like the Chase Southwest 50k or should I just get the 10k bonus one available now? Thanks.

Is there a typical time of the year that the 30k offer shows up? Or is it random?

Archived posts here are from June 2010, July 2011 and August 2012.

rated:
Is the BoA Travel Rewards card a good everyday card? I have the 123 card put away now that i have the BCP, but I don't have any general cards above 1.0%. Does anyone know if I can upgrade the 123 to the Travel Rewards so I get 1.5% on all purchases?

rated:
When it comes to the boa 321 or Costco 321. You're better off with a 2% card for everything coupled with a 5% gas card.

rated:
imbatman said:   When it comes to the boa 321 or Costco 321. You're better off with a 2% card for everything coupled with a 5% gas card.

So you're saying just shelve my BoA 123 and get like the Pricelina Visa? Which 2% card gives the most generous CLs? Also I use my BCP card for 6% gas and grocery.

I don't spend all that much outside the main categories, maybe $3000 a year. That's only a difference of $15 if the BoA Travel Rewards gives 1.5%, and then I don't have to take another inquiry.

rated:
Fidelity 2% AMEX is fairly generous with CLs.
I maintain that A credit enquiry is not something people with good credit should avoid.
If it can benefit you. Take it.
Just like you would benefit from having good credit by refinancing at a lower rate.

rated:
I wonder if it's possible to just do a product change from the B of A to Fidelity, thus no inquiry required.

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   I wonder if it's possible to just do a product change from the B of A to Fidelity, thus no inquiry required.

I tried converting from B of A to Fidelity AMEX a year or two ago and they wouldn't let me. If you call them up and ask, please report the results here.

rated:
Hey all:

I was thinking about picking up a travel card, I was curious if I can get some feedback about which card to get. I drive most of the time when I travel, so I might put $2-3K (max) through this card per year, so spend bonuses are less appealing. Just the same--I'm only going to be using it periodically, so an annual fee would take a big chunk out of the rewards I might earn.

I've got a good collection of CB cards, so hitting a high spending limit might be tough (without going to AP/Serve).

I'm considering the following:

- PenFed Travel Rewards AMEX: 20K points after $2500 spend in 3 mo. (pretty high) + no annual fee (very good).
- USBank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa (Siggy): 17.5K points after $2500 in 5 mo (doable) + $49 annual fee (not terrible)
- Delta Skymiles (Gold): 30K after $500 spend in 3 mo. (easy) + $95 annual fee (sucky)

I live in ATL, so I fly Delta more often than any other airline (but not exclusively). I'd really just be putting hotel and airfare on it, maybe also general spend that falls between categories.

Are there any others I should be considering? Of those three (and relative to the restrictions I describe above) which would be best for me?

rated:
antifaith said:   Hey all:

I was thinking about picking up a travel card, I was curious if I can get some feedback about which card to get. I drive most of the time when I travel, so I might put $2-3K (max) through this card per year, so spend bonuses are less appealing. Just the same--I'm only going to be using it periodically, so an annual fee would take a big chunk out of the rewards I might earn.

I've got a good collection of CB cards, so hitting a high spending limit might be tough (without going to AP/Serve).

I'm considering the following:

- PenFed Travel Rewards AMEX: 20K points after $2500 spend in 3 mo. (pretty high) + no annual fee (very good).
- USBank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa (Siggy): 17.5K points after $2500 in 5 mo (doable) + $49 annual fee (not terrible)
- Delta Skymiles (Gold): 30K after $500 spend in 3 mo. (easy) + $95 annual fee (sucky)

I live in ATL, so I fly Delta more often than any other airline (but not exclusively). I'd really just be putting hotel and airfare on it, maybe also general spend that falls between categories.

Are there any others I should be considering? Of those three (and relative to the restrictions I describe above) which would be best for me?

If you rarely travel, you're probably better off sticking to CashBack cards, and I would suggest the US Bank 5/2/1 card with rotating 5% categories. no annual fee.

There are other questions to answer that you should answer:
How often do you fly? If you travel (and check bags) more than 2 times per year, the Delta Gold card is a no brainer because of the waived check bags fee.
Do you fly with someone else when you fly, and fly more than once per year? If so, upgrade to the Delta Platinum AMEX - $150 annual fee (signup link posted above), comes with the same waived checked bag fee, but includes an annual companion ticket.
When you travel, do you have a hotel brand preference?
Do you ever try Priceline's choose your own price?
what do you want points for? At 2-3k/year, you're looking at 10 years of card use to get a free plane ticket.

Depending on the answer to those questions, I might suggest something other than the SPG AMEX card (25k pts after 5k spend in 6 months, annual fee of $65 is waived the first year, 20k SPG points can be converted to 25k airline miles)

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 185 86 878889114
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014