• filter:
  • 190 91 929394111
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
tehlorax said:   mattun said:   lmnop100 said:   If you have a Chase Freedom + checking account you get 10 points per purchase, which is worth at least 10 cents. If you are buying a shipping label for $3 that means you'll get over 4% back.

Wait, that's pretty useful. Would Chase freak if I paid my eBay fees $1 at a time?

I seem to recall a discussion a while back about this. At the time you could buy Amazon e-giftcards in .10 increments. Pretty sure that's changed now.

They will shut you down for abuse. I do not know how they define abuse.

rated:
imbatman said:   tehlorax said:   mattun said:   lmnop100 said:   If you have a Chase Freedom + checking account you get 10 points per purchase, which is worth at least 10 cents. If you are buying a shipping label for $3 that means you'll get over 4% back.

Wait, that's pretty useful. Would Chase freak if I paid my eBay fees $1 at a time?

I seem to recall a discussion a while back about this. At the time you could buy Amazon e-giftcards in .10 increments. Pretty sure that's changed now.

They will shut you down for abuse. I do not know how they define abuse.

I have no doubt about that. Still an entertaining data point.

rated:
tehlorax said:   mattun said:   lmnop100 said:   If you have a Chase Freedom + checking account you get 10 points per purchase, which is worth at least 10 cents. If you are buying a shipping label for $3 that means you'll get over 4% back.

Please do that many times and often and get blacklisted. It's very difficult to get off of Chase's blacklist.

Edit: Not just shutdown. They will blacklist you. You can never get a CC with them while you are on the blacklist.

rated:
I was able to get off Chase's blacklist, but it took forever. I think the key is to lay low for over a year between applications.

Anybody remember the Capital One card that let you build your own card? It had something like the 10 cent per transaction option. I always wanted to see if there was a way to abuse that, but then they stopped offering it.

rated:
In many posts I read that you get 6 HHoners points for using AMEX HHonors card at Drugstore, but when I look at the application of same card available at this link, it only states that I will get 6 points only at participating hotels & 3 points for other purchases. Can someone let me know what I am missing?

rated:
PhinTron said:   In many posts I read that you get 6 HHoners points for using AMEX HHonors card at Drugstore, but when I look at the application of same card available at this link, it only states that I will get 6 points only at participating hotels & 3 points for other purchases. Can someone let me know what I am missing?

they are in the process of devaluing points earnings. The changes go into effect May 1. I'm not sure if new applicants get the old rewards or the new rewards.

Hilton HHonors Card
7 points per dollar at Hilton properties
5 points per dollar at restaurants
5 points per dollar at gas stations
5 points per dollar at supermarkets
3 points per dollar for all other eligible purchases

Hilton HHonors Surpass Card

12 points per dollar at Hilton properties
6 points per dollar at restaurants
6 points per dollar at gas stations
6 points per dollar at supermarkets
3 points per dollar for all other purchases

rated:
imbatman said:   PhinTron said:   In many posts I read that you get 6 HHoners points for using AMEX HHonors card at Drugstore, but when I look at the application of same card available at this link, it only states that I will get 6 points only at participating hotels & 3 points for other purchases. Can someone let me know what I am missing?

they are in the process of devaluing points earnings. The changes go into effect May 1. I'm not sure if new applicants get the old rewards or the new rewards.

Hilton HHonors Card

Ok Got it. So Surpass version ( with AF ) provides 6 points at supermarkets. I can see that on the application link, but I dodn't see any mention of 5 points at supermarkets for non-Surpass version. I guess they have already devalued the rewards on non-Surpass version.

rated:
PhinTron said:   imbatman said:   PhinTron said:   In many posts I read that you get 6 HHoners points for using AMEX HHonors card at Drugstore, but when I look at the application of same card available at this link, it only states that I will get 6 points only at participating hotels & 3 points for other purchases. Can someone let me know what I am missing?

Hilton HHonors Card

Ok Got it. So Surpass version ( with AF ) provides 6 points at supermarkets. I can see that on the application link, but I dodn't see any mention of 5 points at supermarkets for non-Surpass version. I guess they have already devalued the rewards on non-Surpass version.

Does it say something like "everyday spending"?

rated:
Any suggestions for secured (or similar concept) credit cards?

rated:
Your local credit union is a good place to start.

rated:
hey folks quick CC tune-up question.

my SO will be incurring substantial business travel expenses for the foreseeable future, looks like ~ 6k/month on airfare, ~2.8k/month on hotels. the airline and hotel of choice being United and SPG. I just set her up with the Am3x gold and SPG personal cards to take advantage of this spending. after realizing how much her airfare expenses would be, i'm planning to open a gold biz card for the 75k bonus. (probably will make sense to get the SPG biz soon also.)

in the past I haven't paid much attention to those gold biz type offers that require large spend thresholds. (10k.) so I'm just wondering if there are any other large bonus opportunities to maximize on this airfare/hotel spend.

on another note - any tips for increasing CC limit with Am3x? they gave a puny 1k for the SPG card ... barely enough to book one week. thx

rated:
motuwallet said:   hey folks quick CC tune-up question.

my SO will be incurring substantial business travel expenses for the foreseeable future, looks like ~ 6k/month on airfare, ~2.8k/month on hotels. the airline and hotel of choice being United and SPG. I just set her up with the Am3x gold and SPG personal cards to take advantage of this spending. after realizing how much her airfare expenses would be, i'm planning to open a gold biz card for the 75k bonus. (probably will make sense to get the SPG biz soon also.)

in the past I haven't paid much attention to those gold biz type offers that require large spend thresholds. (10k.) so I'm just wondering if there are any other large bonus opportunities to maximize on this airfare/hotel spend.

on another note - any tips for increasing CC limit with Am3x? they gave a puny 1k for the SPG card ... barely enough to book one week. thx

Do you have other personal AMEX cards? If so, you can probably reallocate your credit line from other cards to the SPG.

rated:
AMEX BIZ Gold 75k MR after 5k spend in 3 months
link

beats the other offer out there with a 10k spend in 3 months

rated:
imbatman said:   AMEX BIZ Gold 75k MR after 5k spend in 3 months
link

beats the other offer out there with a 10k spend in 3 months

Very nice. Hope this is the new standard offer as I need to close a refi first. T&C's slightly encouraging:

If you apply after February 20, 2014, we may still process your application but you will not be eligible for the 75,000 bonus points.
This offer may be terminated by American Express at any time.

rated:
Just remember not to have a Gold card in the last 12 months. Reminds me, wife better cancel hers.

rated:
mega thanks imbatman. auto-greens for life, and if I think of a more constructive way to return the favor I will!

rated:
I'm a little nervous to call Chase about a reconsider with a business card. I technically have a side business (selling softball bats on eBay with an eBay store than shares my website's name. The website does virtually no business. I did get really close to $20,000 in sales on eBay). Am I better off just waiting out the two weeks and hoping for the best or should I call for the reconsider immediately?

rated:
mattun said:   I'm a little nervous to call Chase about a reconsider with a business card. I technically have a side business (selling softball bats on eBay with an eBay store than shares my website's name. The website does virtually no business. I did get really close to $20,000 in sales on eBay). Am I better off just waiting out the two weeks and hoping for the best or should I call for the reconsider immediately?

Did you tell Chase that what you do is a "side" business? Did you also tell Chase that you made $20,000 profit? How did you apply as? A sole proprietorship?

rated:
vagrants said:   mattun said:   I'm a little nervous to call Chase about a reconsider with a business card. I technically have a side business (selling softball bats on eBay with an eBay store than shares my website's name. The website does virtually no business. I did get really close to $20,000 in sales on eBay). Am I better off just waiting out the two weeks and hoping for the best or should I call for the reconsider immediately?

Did you tell Chase that what you do is a "side" business? Did you also tell Chase that you made $20,000 profit? How did you apply as? A sole proprietorship?

I have a "side" business. Just me, buying stuff, selling stuff, hopefully I make a profit. That's exactly what I told chase biz reconsideration. Don't worry about it. They run everyone through the ringer for biz apps.

rated:
imbatman said:   vagrants said:   mattun said:   I'm a little nervous to call Chase about a reconsider with a business card. I technically have a side business (selling softball bats on eBay with an eBay store than shares my website's name. The website does virtually no business. I did get really close to $20,000 in sales on eBay). Am I better off just waiting out the two weeks and hoping for the best or should I call for the reconsider immediately?

I have a "side" business. Just me, buying stuff, selling stuff, hopefully I make a profit. That's exactly what I told chase biz reconsideration. Don't worry about it. They run everyone through the ringer for biz apps.

What worries me is that this $20k profit came from the "side" business. If the profit wasn't that much, I wouldn't worry about it either. Thus, I asked how this person applied as. A Business or an "individual".

rated:
he said 20k in sales, not profit.
DUring recon, they asked me what my estimated annual sales were, and profit.

rated:
imbatman said:   he said 20k in sales, not profit.

Thank you for the correction.

Yes, I'm aware of the recon process. Thus, I was concerned about the $20k for a "side" business. If you know anybody who put $20k under sales/profits as a "side" business on the Chase business credit card applications and got the card, please report.

rated:
vagrants said:   imbatman said:   he said 20k in sales, not profit.

Yes, I'm aware of the recon process. Thus, I was concerned about the $20k for a "side" business. If you know anybody who put $20k under sales/profits as a "side" business on the Chase business credit card applications and got the card, please report.

I put 20k in sales and 1k in profit.

rated:
imbatman said:   vagrants said:   imbatman said:   he said 20k in sales, not profit.

Then he/she should be fine. Just call the recon ASAP!

rated:
Thanks for easing my fears, I'll call them in the morning. Yeah, I kept it under $20,000 so I didn't get the tax hit. You hit that ceiling pretty quick when you're buy and reselling bats for hundreds of dollars a pop.

rated:
mattun said:   Thanks for easing my fears, I'll call them in the morning. Yeah, I kept it under $20,000 so I didn't get the tax hit. You hit that ceiling pretty quick when you're buy and reselling bats for hundreds of dollars a pop.

Since you STILL owe the taxes, isn't it likely that the IRS already knows about it? I'd think the 1099 is just a formality, no?

rated:
Under $20,000 and 200 transactions it's a hobby in their eyes... for now. Which is actually true for the most part in my case. My profit margin isn't huge after eBay fees and it's more a case of I like to try all the latest and greatest without paying for it in the end. If I can spin that into a couple business cards without the IRS getting interested, all the better.

rated:
imbatman said:   vagrants said:   mattun said:   I'm a little nervous to call Chase about a reconsider with a business card. I technically have a side business (selling softball bats on eBay with an eBay store than shares my website's name. The website does virtually no business. I did get really close to $20,000 in sales on eBay). Am I better off just waiting out the two weeks and hoping for the best or should I call for the reconsider immediately?

Your description was exactly how it went down. Approved and thanks.

rated:
mattun said:   Under $20,000 and 200 transactions it's a hobby in their eyes... for now. Which is actually true for the most part in my case. My profit margin isn't huge after eBay fees and it's more a case of I like to try all the latest and greatest without paying for it in the end. If I can spin that into a couple business cards without the IRS getting interested, all the better.

I think you're mixing terminology here. Either way, good luck.

rated:
Capital One deferred on a Spark. Safe to assume I'm probably hosed out of three inquires there? I saw a lot of reports that they don't reconsider

rated:
How many softball bats do you need to try out?

rated:
Between me and my teammates, 75-100 a year does the trick. Come on, you need your U-Trip old stamp, U-Trip new stamp, ASA, NSA, Wood, Metal, Singlewall, Multiwall, Hybrid, Co-ed loaner, Outlaw, one's you're holding incase a ban goes down, BP bats, backups, and of course backups for backups. Now my kid has got the sickness (he's up to eight Easton bats). If I get some package deals that pay for the ones I keep, so be it.

rated:
Are there any sites that shares cc application commissions? I remember cardoffers did a while back, doesn't look like they do anymore.

I'm looking at signing up for about 8 high-commission cards at once. Don't have a site but I would like to get a piece of that pie if I could.

rated:
Amazon does now. But be careful that you don't get a weaker sign up off (example, Discover Escape you don't get the 1000 miles a month for 24 months).

rated:
there should be an equilibrated transactions.
Well thanking to all for the various suggestions. Good one thread.

rated:
imbatman said:   vagrants said:   imbatman said:   he said 20k in sales, not profit.

Going to try this with a SW Plus Business card

What did you put down for the Tax ID number? Your SSN?

and did you just create some fictitious name out of the blue for the app?

and what about for legal entity?

thanks again imbatman

rated:
Used my ssn.
If my name is I m batman
My company name (sole proprietor) is also I m batman

rated:
WillRobin said:   Any suggestions for secured (or similar concept) credit cards?

Bank of America's BankAmericard Cash Rewards secured card is one of the rare secured cards that offer generous CashBack rewards.

rated:
imbatman said:   Used my ssn.
If my name is I m batman
My company name (sole proprietor) is also I m batman

green & thanks once again

rated:
Speaking of the Bank of America's BankAmericard Cash Rewards, I have the signature visa version of the card. A few days ago, I tried to request the chip version of the card for possible international use. I got a song and dance about filing application data including income and I ended up asking point blank if they intended to do another hard pull on my credit report. The agent suggested that a hard pull is possible. I ended up declining and abandoning the whole process due to that; I was hoping I could just get the card re-issued with the chip since I already had the regular stripe version of the card.

I was able to request the chip version of my Citi Dividend Platinum card with no such hard pull. It was just a re-issue. Seems a bunch of nonsense to take a hard pull just to get the chip version of a card. I'll be requesting the chip version of my PenFed card and I do not expect any problems with a hard pull there.

Anyone have any comment on getting chipped cards and/or this BOA hard pull nonsense? Having a chip card isn't that big of deal since I don't travel much and never really had much problem with completing transactions. I just wanted to have a some cards with a chip should the need ever arise. I thought the US card companies were endeavoring to have chip cards issued sometime in 2013 anyway.

Thanks,
justacog

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 190 91 929394111
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014