• filter:
  • 192 93 949596121
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
solaphant said:   Please excuse my complete ignorance, but I am hoping to find some answers to a few CC questions. Here's the scenario: I pastor a Church and we are looking to make a semi-large purchase of building materials (3K) and I want to do it as cheaply as possible. Currently we have no credit cards. I've considered getting the Chase Ink Bold and getting additional cards on the same account (5 free with the Ink Bold account) for other employees at the Church. Then I want to use the card to purchase gift cards at a reduced rate online (5-7% less). But to qualify for the bonus ($500), we need 5K in spending for the first 3 months. We can make that easily if the other 4 cards are used by the other employees for their upcoming travel expenditures. So here are my questions (again I apologize for my ignorance, but I couldn't find any of the answers to these questions on the Chase site):

1) Will I earn 1 pt. per dollar in addition to the bonus for the first $5000 in purchases, thus making the total amount of Cash Back for spending $5000 actually $550?

2) Will each dollar spent by the other employees of the Church count toward the $5000 or is each card's rewards counted separately?

3) Is the $95 annual fee assessed against each card or is there only one $95 card fee for all the cards on that account?


Thanks for any info you can provide.


If your eyes are set on the Ink Bold, it's fine, but there is one alternative. The cap for the card is 1/4 of what Chase offers, but you get upto 10% back (maybe 15% total since the base gives 5%) on certain stores, 3% back on gas (you can do this with Ink Bold, too, but not all gas stations qualify), and no AF. I'm saying this because I kind of regret getting the Ink Bold. UR points (including the UR portal churn...but you can do this with Freedom although payout rate might be different from the Freedom to CSP to Ink Bold) & ability to convert other miles & points are nice, but it still costs $95/yr.

rated:
Hi all,

I currently have Chase Freedom, Bank of America CashReward, Discover CashBack, TruEaring American Express, Citi Divident.
Since I will be spending a lot of money on Hilton for my wedding (>$15,000). So, I applied and got Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card so that I can utilize them all (10pt per $1 Hilton spending)

However, when it comes to regular, every day charges at restaurant, gas, grocery,... I think I will use other cards rather than the HHonor Reserve

Here is my thinking:
1) With other cards (Chase Freedom, Bank of America CashReward, Discover CashBack, TruEaring American Express, Citi Divident), I can get an average of 2% (because of the mix of 5% quarterly category and %1 on everything else), that would be $20 for $1000
2) With Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve, I can get an average of 3pt per $1. That would be 3000 points per $1000. And it looks like 1 Hilton HHonor point only worths an average of 0.5 cent from my personal research. So, 3000 only worth $15

Any suggestion/other thinking is highly appreciated.

Thanks

rated:
Which is better: fido AMEX or Priceline? I do not currently have an account with fidelity.

rated:
catanpirate said:   Which is better: fido AMEX or Priceline? I do not currently have an account with fidelity.

Priceline is accepted where fido is not. Fido gives you access to AMEX purchase protection.
It's not difficult to get an account with fidelity (I set mine up the day I activated my credit card).

So the decision about which is better is up to you.
I prefer Fido.

rated:
I thought the Fidelity card purchase protection was all serviced by FIA Card Services and American Express has little or nothing to do with any of the benefits, customer service, etc.?

rated:
AlphabetBackward said:   I thought the Fidelity card purchase protection was all serviced by FIA Card Services and American Express has little or nothing to do with any of the benefits, customer service, etc.?

You are actually quite right...only cards that are directly issued by American Express have the actual American Express perks such as purchase protection, warranty extension, etc...
In the case of Fidelity for example, FIA Card Services provides the various perks...not AMEX...

The card goes through AMEX's network when you use it...and that's it's total involvement with AMEX...all other aspects of the Fidelity card is through fia itself...

rated:
Another benefit of the Fidelity AMEX provided by FIA Card Services other than the 2% (great for those who go to Costco) is that since it's a AMEX Network card it qualifies for the AMEX Network offers (such as the annual Small Business Sunday spending offer, AMEX Sync spending offers, etc.) Still, other than the Network processing, all of the protection benefits and the billing is done by FIA.

The Priceline Visa is great due to the higher acceptance of Visa, and if you can get it as a Visa Signature (min $5000 CL) then you get slightly better protection benefits to what the Fidelity AMEX has.

I recommend Fidelity AMEX if you need a AMEX or shop at Costco. But if you don't shop at Costco, then the Priceline Visa is better (min 2500 pts to redeem towards a charge, versus Fidelity AMEX min 5000 pts for $50 to Fidelity account).

rated:
Hey guys, I have around 10K expenses coming up in the next 2-3 months which included buying 2 international tickets (in addition to the 2.5K every month expenses). Which card would you recommend for maximizing rewards? Cheers!

rated:
jgooner22 said:   Hey guys, I have around 10K expenses coming up in the next 2-3 months which included buying 2 international tickets (in addition to the 2.5K every month expenses). Which card would you recommend for maximizing rewards? Cheers!

AMEX Gold Charge cards (3x MR on airfare purchases)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (2.14x UR on airfare purchases)
PenFed Travel AMEX (5x points on airfare purchases)

rated:
imbatman said:   jgooner22 said:   Hey guys, I have around 10K expenses coming up in the next 2-3 months which included buying 2 international tickets (in addition to the 2.5K every month expenses). Which card would you recommend for maximizing rewards? Cheers!

AMEX Gold Charge cards (3x MR on airfare purchases)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (2.14x UR on airfare purchases)
PenFed Travel AMEX (5x points on airfare purchases)


With $10K in expenses, a mini AOR might be in order to rack up several signup bonuses -- so you might want to do all of them.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred has a nice 40K signup bonus, sometimes the AMEX PRG has a 50K or 75K signup bonus offer, and that PenFed card has a 20K signup bonus.

I might also consider the Barclays Arrival Card or their NFL card for a ~$400 signup bonus:

Arrival Card: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1265825/
NFL Card: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1254892/

rated:
stanolshefski said:   imbatman said:   jgooner22 said:   Hey guys, I have around 10K expenses coming up in the next 2-3 months which included buying 2 international tickets (in addition to the 2.5K every month expenses). Which card would you recommend for maximizing rewards? Cheers!

AMEX Gold Charge cards (3x MR on airfare purchases)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (2.14x UR on airfare purchases)
PenFed Travel AMEX (5x points on airfare purchases)


With $10K in expenses, a mini AOR might be in order to rack up several signup bonuses -- so you might want to do all of them.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred has a nice 40K signup bonus, sometimes the AMEX PRG has a 50K or 75K signup bonus offer, and that PenFed card has a 20K signup bonus.

I might also consider the Barclays Arrival Card or their NFL card for a ~$400 signup bonus:

Arrival Card: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1265825/
NFL Card: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1254892/


the Arrival card is ~$440 if redeemed for travel (10% of points back when redeemed for statement credit for travel), but only $200 if redeemed for non-travel credit.
the NFL card is a flat $400.
Pick the one that's the best fit based on if you're traveling or not.

Also, the AMEX Biz Gold has a 50k after 5,000 spend offer right now link

rated:
stanolshefski said:   imbatman said:   jgooner22 said:   Hey guys, I have around 10K expenses coming up in the next 2-3 months which included buying 2 international tickets (in addition to the 2.5K every month expenses). Which card would you recommend for maximizing rewards? Cheers!

AMEX Gold Charge cards (3x MR on airfare purchases)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (2.14x UR on airfare purchases)
PenFed Travel AMEX (5x points on airfare purchases)


With $10K in expenses, a mini AOR might be in order to rack up several signup bonuses -- so you might want to do all of them.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred has a nice 40K signup bonus, sometimes the AMEX PRG has a 50K or 75K signup bonus offer, and that PenFed card has a 20K signup bonus.

I might also consider the Barclays Arrival Card or their NFL card for a ~$400 signup bonus:

Arrival Card: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1265825/
NFL Card: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1254892/


Thanks, guys. I already gor the NFL card a few days back. Will go with Chase & AMEX this time. Cheers.

rated:
Priceline gives 2% on everything. When not busy with bonus sign ups, this is the card! When using AMEX for bonuses, I find that AMEX is not accepted in some of the merchants I frequent. This is the backup (for me)

rated:
Which card do you guys use for everyday use? I generally use Chase, but looking to see if I can do better than 1% on everyday purchases. Is Priceline any good?

rated:
jgooner22 said:   Which card do you guys use for everyday use? I generally use Chase, but looking to see if I can do better than 1% on everyday purchases. Is Priceline any good?
My everyday (non-bonus) card is the Fidelity AMEX.

My other cards that I use are:

* Target RedCard - 5% off Target (and free shipping and extended return period)
* AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 6% for groceries
* Citi Forward - 5 points/$ for Amazon.com, bookstores, and restaurants
* Sallie Mae Mastercard - 5% for bookstores, groceries and gas

rated:
imbatman said:   stanolshefski said:   imbatman said:   jgooner22 said:   Hey guys, I have around 10K expenses coming up in the next 2-3 months which included buying 2 international tickets (in addition to the 2.5K every month expenses). Which card would you recommend for maximizing rewards? Cheers!

AMEX Gold Charge cards (3x MR on airfare purchases)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (2.14x UR on airfare purchases)
PenFed Travel AMEX (5x points on airfare purchases)


With $10K in expenses, a mini AOR might be in order to rack up several signup bonuses -- so you might want to do all of them.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred has a nice 40K signup bonus, sometimes the AMEX PRG has a 50K or 75K signup bonus offer, and that PenFed card has a 20K signup bonus.

I might also consider the Barclays Arrival Card or their NFL card for a ~$400 signup bonus:

Arrival Card: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1265825/
NFL Card: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1254892/


the Arrival card is ~$440 if redeemed for travel (10% of points back when redeemed for statement credit for travel), but only $200 if redeemed for non-travel credit.
the NFL card is a flat $400.
Pick the one that's the best fit based on if you're traveling or not.

Also, the AMEX Biz Gold has a 50k after 5,000 spend offer right now link


There's now a 75K offer.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/amazing-deal-alert-75k-bonus-for...

rated:
direct link linkfor 75k after 5k spend on BIZ AMEX Gold

rated:
Dead? Shows 50k points now...

imbatman said:   direct link linkfor 75k after 5k spend on BIZ AMEX Gold

rated:
Do any providers typically offer a higher credit limit than others? Have decent credit, low-mid 700s want a card with highest possible credit limit and 0% on purchases for a minimum of 6 months.

Already have 2 AMEX so maybe have to look elsewhere

rated:
icecube said:   Dead? Shows 50k points now...

imbatman said:   direct link linkfor 75k after 5k spend on BIZ AMEX Gold


It appears to be dead.

rated:
I too have no idea. Maybe we could find out from anecdotal information reported here. I have $25 k on AMEX, BOA/old Schwab $25k (I cancelled it a month ago), Chase $18k. Capital one $7.5k. The capital one is barely 10 days of our household gross income. I had applied for a credit increase on capital one, but was denied (few months back) for the reason "we do not have a policy for approving credit for customer initiated request". I love my AMEX Costco for the ability to use without having to worry about maxing it out, unlike our capital one. My Credit score is around 800. I am not sure if credit score decides the credit limit or monthly income. What is your AMEX card limits?

newnorley said:   Do any providers typically offer a higher credit limit than others? Have decent credit, low-mid 700s want a card with highest possible credit limit and 0% on purchases for a minimum of 6 months.

Already have 2 AMEX so maybe have to look elsewhere

rated:
Capone you need to email exec office to get increase. High limit card would depend on what your current limits are, but penfed is generous with limits

rated:
Hey everyone, just bought a house and will be doing lots of home improvements. Windows, kitchen, possibly water heater and furnace. Can you guys recommend any card(s)? The only cards I have at the moment and were opened a long time ago are the Chase Freedom, Bank of America card and a Blue from AMEX.

rated:
ninetwosix said:   Hey everyone, just bought a house and will be doing lots of home improvements. Windows, kitchen, possibly water heater and furnace. Can you guys recommend any card(s)? The only cards I have at the moment and were opened a long time ago are the Chase Freedom, Bank of America card and a Blue from AMEX.

Are you buying stuff from Home Depot or Lowe's? If you are, CCs with grocery or drug store bonus categories might be of value to you if you are willing to purchase gift cards to make your purchases.

rated:
U should get a debit card

rated:
Did my first AOR at the beginning of March, went a little overboard and signed up for 8 cards (got them all) and I've hit all the min spends already. Thinking of applying for 3 more cards in June for the following reasons: 1) travelling to Europe at the end of June, will use a cc for most expenses over there, 2) I have VRs and MoneyPaks readily available in my area for min/manufactured spend and 3) i'm going to HI in Feb of next year, want to start accumulating Hilton points. I know people are down on Hilton after the devaluation but I like that there are 4 Hilton cards.
Cards I'm thinking of getting: Chase Ink Plus (no forex), Citi Hilton Signature, AMEX Hilton.

Thoughts/feedback?

rated:
I didn't see a question in there. So. Sounds good.
The Hilton wailaea [sic] is a good use of Hilton points and two free nights using citi card.

I would pick the citi Hilton card yay gives gold status an two free nights rather than the Hilton that gives 40k pts. The two free nights in HI will cost more than 40 pts. Plus free breakfast is nice too.

rated:
BBPlaya13 said:   Did my first AOR at the beginning of March, went a little overboard and signed up for 8 cards (got them all) and I've hit all the min spends already. Thinking of applying for 3 more cards in June for the following reasons: 1) travelling to Europe at the end of June, will use a cc for most expenses over there, 2) I have VRs and MoneyPaks readily available in my area for min/manufactured spend and 3) i'm going to HI in Feb of next year, want to start accumulating Hilton points. I know people are down on Hilton after the devaluation but I like that there are 4 Hilton cards.
Cards I'm thinking of getting: Chase Ink Plus (no forex), Citi Hilton Signature, AMEX Hilton.

Thoughts/feedback?

What where the six cards you applied for in March? Any pre existing cards?

rated:
It is great to use Hilton Credit Card for shopping and paying your memberships. I am using this credit card.I always pick my Hilton credit card for my travel and gym membership payments. I have no idea about a free night in HI if I shop for 40K points. This is really a wonderful aspect of using this credit card. And I would always suggest to use Hilton Credit Card for any type of payments. I would also like to know that any Cash Back with this? My friends told me that they get CashBack.

rated:
^^ credit Pete. The Hilton cards do not give CashBack

rated:
Preexisting cards: USAA Cash Rewards World MC & Fido AMEX.
March AOR: Chase SW Personal & Business, Citi AA, Barclays US Premier & Frontier, US Bank CC Rewards Signature, AMEX PRG & Delta Gold Biz.

I was Keen on the AMEX Hiltons (Regular + Surpass) and Citi Signature to get the 5th night free from Hilton - as I understand it the Reserve's 2 certificates don't count towards that. When I look on Hilton's site nights in HI go for 40k-60k in Feb.

rated:
5th night free is either from the AMEX (axon award).
You'll have access to axon and glon awards with either AMEX.
You can then use two free nights from citi reserve to make it 7 nights. If you have a trip in mind the citi reserve will be more beneficial to you than the regular signature.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   ninetwosix said:   Hey everyone, just bought a house and will be doing lots of home improvements. Windows, kitchen, possibly water heater and furnace. Can you guys recommend any card(s)? The only cards I have at the moment and were opened a long time ago are the Chase Freedom, Bank of America card and a Blue from AMEX.

Are you buying stuff from Home Depot or Lowe's? If you are, CCs with grocery or drug store bonus categories might be of value to you if you are willing to purchase gift cards to make your purchases.


Most likely Lowes and I will look into it.

rated:
Lowe's 5% off card.. But you can also probably find Lowe's gift cards at a greater discount.
Edit: Also: http://www.lowes.com/cd_Coupon+Registration_253641591_

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   Lowe's 5% off card.. But you can also probably find Lowe's gift cards at a greater discount.
Edit: Also: http://www.lowes.com/cd_Coupon+Registration_253641591_


Got the coupon already thanks, will look into the card.

rated:
A top Travel credit cards should have affordable charges that are more than validated by its advantages and advantages.

rated:
FWIW Fort Knox Visa
5% Gas / 1.25% on everything else - has been changed to 5% Gas / 1% on everything else. I think it was an unannounced change a few months ago, and the 1% is reflected on my cc statement. Their cc is much less attractive than what it was a year ago.

rated:
The Priceline card shows up in the FAQ as 2% Cash Back. But when I click the link, on price line web site it shows 5X for name your price and 1% for everything else. What gives?

rated:
upnorth85 said:   The Priceline card shows up in the FAQ as 2% Cash Back. But when I click the link, on price line web site it shows 5X for name your price and 1% for everything else. What gives?

In the thread for that card, people are reporting that it is no longer available:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1125529/

rated:
Thanks very much for the correct link.
dukerau said:   upnorth85 said:   The Priceline card shows up in the FAQ as 2% Cash Back. But when I click the link, on price line web site it shows 5X for name your price and 1% for everything else. What gives?

In the thread for that card, people are reporting that it is no longer available:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1125529/
muum

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 192 93 949596121
  • Page


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014