• filter:
  • 194 95 969798121
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
TheWalL said:   
Last time I did the math (back in 2010), the numbers didn't favor paying the fee for AMEX Surpass for ~65 nights a year. Back then it was 6x points per dollar as well. I should run the numbers again. Also looks like AMEX program has changed if its offering 12x points now.

ETA: Unfortunately, I don't get to travel overseas in my current role. Otherwise, that AMEX Surpass was a no-brainer.


I'd ballpark it at about 25 nights. $100 per night x6 = 600 pts at 1/2 cent each = $3. $75/3 = 25.

rated:
pooter03 said:   Chase Sapphire (2% on restaurants and travel, I use this for my lunches and when I eat out without the wife)
Citi Forward (5 points per $ at restaurants when I go out with the wife)
Why???

rated:
scripta said:   pooter03 said:   Chase Sapphire (2% on restaurants and travel, I use this for my lunches and when I eat out without the wife)
Citi Forward (5 points per $ at restaurants when I go out with the wife)
Why???


Because he uses a better rewards card that "the wife" doesn't know about when he goes out with his girlfriend!

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said:   scripta said:   pooter03 said:   Chase Sapphire (2% on restaurants and travel, I use this for my lunches and when I eat out without the wife)
Citi Forward (5 points per $ at restaurants when I go out with the wife)
Why???


Because he uses a better rewards card that "the wife" doesn't know about when he goes out with his girlfriend!

Chris.

AKA cash. Though it doesn't offer "Cash Back" per se, I hear it has the very useful feature of reducing the loss of half of the account holder's assets...

rated:
Sesq said:   TheWalL said:   
Last time I did the math (back in 2010), the numbers didn't favor paying the fee for AMEX Surpass for ~65 nights a year. Back then it was 6x points per dollar as well. I should run the numbers again. Also looks like AMEX program has changed if its offering 12x points now.

ETA: Unfortunately, I don't get to travel overseas in my current role. Otherwise, that AMEX Surpass was a no-brainer.


I'd ballpark it at about 25 nights. $100 per night x6 = 600 pts at 1/2 cent each = $3. $75/3 = 25.


Your math is off a bit.
HHonors AMEX = 7x no AF
Surpass AMEX = 12x $75 AF
So its 5x for $75 AF.
$100 x 5 = 500 pts...each point is worth ~0.2 cents
500 pts = $1 or ~75 nights.
So its a wash at this point but...I believe both offer a 500 point bonus for booking online on Hilton site. That's another $25 per year over the Citi versions of the card.

rated:
Go for the citi reserve card. After spending 10k in a year you get a weekend night free night. If you out 75 nights a year on it. You'll make 10k spend.
It only gives 10x. But id rather have 10x and a free night than 12x or 7x.
That free weekend night can e used at category 10 (worth up to 95k hhonors pts).

rated:
scripta said:   pooter03 said:   Chase Sapphire (2% on restaurants and travel, I use this for my lunches and when I eat out without the wife)
Citi Forward (5 points per $ at restaurants when I go out with the wife)
Why???


Sorry, to be more specific, I'm actually engaged and getting married next Sunday. I'm just practicing using the term wife. We aren't financially merged yet, just a joint savings account. We have a couple of credit cards we use for joint purchases (groceries, household items, travel), the AMEX Blue and Citi Forward specifically, and we each have a few cards we use for personal purchases (work lunches, books, odds and ends.) I use the Sapphire and Fidelity AMEX, she uses her own Sapphire and another card.

rated:
cpaynter said:   scripta said:   pooter03 said:   Chase Sapphire (2% on restaurants and travel, I use this for my lunches and when I eat out without the wife)
Citi Forward (5 points per $ at restaurants when I go out with the wife)
Why???


Because he uses a better rewards card that "the wife" doesn't know about when he goes out with his girlfriend!

Chris.


All humor aside, we both love to travel, so we are both using our own Sapphire cards to accrue air miles. We are using the Citi card rewards for stuff we don't feel like paying for. We are traveling to a wedding in July and used the Citi rewards for a rental car as an example.

In fact, most of our rewards between all our cards are used for travel. The Cash Back we have saved up in the Blue is going to be used for when we go to Paris later this year. The Fidelity AMEX cash, on the other hand, is going toward savings for a house.

rated:
The Orchard 2% card is being converted to a 1.5% card if anybody still uses it (thanks Capital One, I thought only babies didn't prefer more free money).

rated:
pooter03 said:   scripta said:   pooter03 said:   Chase Sapphire (2% on restaurants and travel, I use this for my lunches and when I eat out without the wife)
Citi Forward (5 points per $ at restaurants when I go out with the wife)
Why???
Sorry, to be more specific, I'm actually engaged and getting married next Sunday. I'm just practicing using the term wife. We aren't financially merged yet, just a joint savings account. We have a couple of credit cards we use for joint purchases (groceries, household items, travel), the AMEX Blue and Citi Forward specifically, and we each have a few cards we use for personal purchases (work lunches, books, odds and ends.) I use the Sapphire and Fidelity AMEX, she uses her own Sapphire and another card.
You're just playing mind games. You could bank the extra 3% using the joint credit card while eating by yourself, and pay it off from your individual (non-joint) checking account. Of course this would require you to keep better track of your expenditures, which is highly recommended anyway. Pretty easy for unauthorized charges to sneak into a joint account if neither party is paying close attention to it.

rated:
My story ,BOA and Fiedlity closed my card due to many inquired on my account ,I applied USAA got approved for 7k but apr is 25.9% are you kinding me ?No thanks ,Closed the card

rated:
fenygirl said:   My story ,BOA and Fiedlity closed my card due to many inquired on my account ,I applied USAA got approved for 7k but apr is 25.9% are you kinding me ?No thanks ,Closed the card

So you decided to red a whole bunch of posts on here? Let me look up "deranged behavior" definition.

rated:
fenygirl said:   My story ,BOA and Fiedlity closed my card due to many inquired on my account ,I applied USAA got approved for 7k but apr is 25.9% are you kinding me ?No thanks ,Closed the card

Who cares about APR? If you're carrying a balance, you're on the wrong forum anyway.

rated:
There is a reason why the first post of this thread doesn't mention interest rates. Flyertalk and fatwallet cater to people who never, ever carry a balance. You are posting in the wrong place. We don't care. Very few people here carry debt other than student loans and mortgages. We're in it for the cash/miles reward cards. Go to myfico or creditboards if you care about a low APR. They can help you figure out why you aren't getting a lower APR.

rated:
I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I am going to Canada for a few days. Which is the best card to bring with me (I am looking to avoid those foreign transaction fees).

rated:
lauren75 said:   I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I am going to Canada for a few days. Which is the best card to bring with me (I am looking to avoid those foreign transaction fees).

I went recently. I took my Capitol One card, Pentagon Federal Credit Union card and my Discover card. None of these issuers have foreign transaction fees (though note that Discover Card wasn't accepted anywhere I tried to use it - the 5% category was restaurants).

There is also a subset of AMEX, Chase, Citi, etc cards with no fees. Look at the terms for whatever cards you have.

rated:
downhillskier said:   lauren75 said:   I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I am going to Canada for a few days. Which is the best card to bring with me (I am looking to avoid those foreign transaction fees).

I went recently. I took my Capitol One card, Pentagon Federal Credit Union card and my Discover card. None of these issuers have foreign transaction fees (though note that Discover Card wasn't accepted anywhere I tried to use it - the 5% category was restaurants).

There is also a subset of AMEX, Chase, Citi, etc cards with no fees. Look at the terms for whatever cards you have.


Many cards limit bonus categories to U.S. businesses.

rated:
TheWalL said:   fenygirl said:   My story ,BOA and Fiedlity closed my card due to many inquired on my account ,I applied USAA got approved for 7k but apr is 25.9% are you kinding me ?No thanks ,Closed the card

So you decided to red a whole bunch of posts on here? Let me look up "deranged behavior" definition.

I disagree which other because my English give my post negative review

rated:
fenygirl said:   I disagree which other because my English give my post negative reviewIt's not you poor writing skills -- it's your poor reading skills.

Your post got a lot of negative ratings because you closed a card due to high APR they gave you. That's dumb. Nobody does that and everyone usually advises against closing cards. Especially if you have bad credit (you have bad credit now since BofA closed your accounts).

By the way Fidelity doesn't issue credit cards -- the Fidelity credit cards are issued and managed by BofA.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   downhillskier said:   lauren75 said:   I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I am going to Canada for a few days. Which is the best card to bring with me (I am looking to avoid those foreign transaction fees).

I went recently. I took my Capitol One card, Pentagon Federal Credit Union card and my Discover card. None of these issuers have foreign transaction fees (though note that Discover Card wasn't accepted anywhere I tried to use it - the 5% category was restaurants).

There is also a subset of AMEX, Chase, Citi, etc cards with no fees. Look at the terms for whatever cards you have.


Many cards limit bonus categories to U.S. businesses.


I've heard reports of that, but I have not experienced it, at least in North America. I've used cards in Mexico, Canada and numerous Caribbean countries. In general, my charges have counted for the bonus categories I'd expect, including special offers (e.g. unscheduled x% off of certain categories for a quarter). This is true on cards from Citi, BofA and Chase. I don't believe I've ever found a place to use my Discover card outside of USA. IIRC, I did have one gas station in Dominica register as a grocery store instead; a simple classification snafu the like of which happens occasionally here in the states as well.

While I typically would go for a card with no transaction fees (e.g. Capital One, PenFed, United), I will use a fee card where I have a reasonable expectation to get 5% CashBack. On a card that charges a 3% transaction fee but 5% CashBack, that's still a profit for me of 2%, which is better than I'd get on any of my no-fee cards (which currently top out at 1% CB). How I miss that old Schwab card...

Chris.

rated:
Thanks for the responses and sorry again, this one is probably even more off topic...should I even bother getting any cash out of an ATM? Its only a long weekend, but many years ago when I went to Canada that was the best way to change over money.

rated:
lauren75 said:   Thanks for the responses and sorry again, this one is probably even more off topic...should I even bother getting any cash out of an ATM? Its only a long weekend, but many years ago when I went to Canada that was the best way to change over money.

If you have a card that has a 0% cash advance, then it's ok. Otherwise, don't.

rated:
Hi guys, what card do you use for everyday use? I use Chase Freedom, but wondering if I can do better than 1% for everyday purchases. I am thinking of getting the Capital One rewards card for 1.5% Cash Back. Anyone knows of any 2% ones? Thanks!

rated:
wrong forum

rated:
headend said:   wrong forum
Was that addressed to me?

rated:
jgooner22 said:   Hi guys, what card do you use for everyday use? I use Chase Freedom, but wondering if I can do better than 1% for everyday purchases. I am thinking of getting the Capital One rewards card for 1.5% Cash Back. Anyone knows of any 2% ones? Thanks!

I'm done chasing 2% deals. I've had several over the years; Citi Driver's Edge till it ended, then Schwab till it ended, then Sallie Mae until it ended. But through all of those cards, I never ended up making much off of the 2% rewards. That's because for most of the time, I had some better temporary deal which was giving me 2% or better. There seemed to almost always be another card with either a signup bonus to get $400 cash or 75k miles, or an extra $50 Cash Back if you spend $1,000 in a month, or 5x points for the next 90 days, etc. Right now, I've got 3x miles on my Citi AA card (first $1,250), 2% for first $500 on each of three Discover cards, 2x points for everything on my Citi ThankYou card (to $2,500), and then I've got a stack of Visa/MC/AMEX gift cards that I bought at 5%-15% off through various deals or got as rebate payments. I do have my USBank Cash+ that's giving me 1.56%, but it's unlikely I'll actually spend down all of those other deals before the end of the month. Then we'll see what pops up in July. Personally, I'd just recommend you keep collecting cards and you'll always have something to give you close to 2% if not more.

Chris.

rated:
Thanks, makes sense. There are expenditures like rent, insurance premiums, utilities which I regularly do with my 1% Cash Back card, so was just wondering if I can do better than that.

rated:
jgooner22 said:   Thanks, makes sense. There are expenditures like rent, insurance premiums, utilities which I regularly do with my 1% Cash Back card, so was just wondering if I can do better than that.

I believe that the Fidelity AMEX is the last one left.

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/american-express-cards

rated:
went to a Chase branch and applied for Sapphire Preferred and was approved on the spot. i already have a United Explorer & Slate card with zero balances.

$2000 spending in 3 months instead of $3000 when you apply in branch

not sure if this is widely known or not

just thought i'd throw it out there

rated:
jgooner22 said:   Thanks, makes sense. There are expenditures like rent, insurance premiums, utilities which I regularly do with my 1% Cash Back card, so was just wondering if I can do better than that.

Others are using the Priceline card for 2%. You could also consider linking a Chase checking account to your Freedom card. That'll juice your rewards on that card a little.

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said:   

Others are using the Priceline card for 2%. You could also consider linking a Chase checking account to your Freedom card. That'll juice your rewards on that card a little.

Chris.
Others that already have a PL card. It has been widely reported that Barclay has pulled the application from their website, and it has been widely speculated that the days of this card are numbered, even for existing members. I hope not, but that's the way things have been going.
I am somewhat in agreement with the earlier poster to stop chasing 2% cards, although if PL does go away, that's a pretty hollow vow. I can think of one non-annual fee card besides that one that still offers a 2% return on all purchases.

rated:
irobot said:   It has been widely reported that Barclay has pulled the application from their website, and it has been widely speculated that the days of this card are numbered, even for existing members.

The online application is still there, but recent applicants are being denied. When you go to the homepage -- pricelinevisa.com -- you'll see they are promising new applicants 1 point per $1 in general spending (1%). It seems to me the card will still be around, but those of us earning 2% will get downgraded to 1% sooner or later.

rated:
Hello everybody. I'm a Canadian citizen who has been doing a residency down in the USA and will be returning home in a year. The Canadian credit cards are no where near as good as the options down here, so I am looking at keeping a couple to use while back in Canada. Lately I have just been applying for a new card every 3 months or so for the bonus but I am wondering what US card would be the best for rewards(miles/Cash Back etc.) while living and spending in Canada. Currently I have the Chase Sapphire preferred, AMEX Hilton honors, NFL extrapoints, Chase Marriot preferred, Citi thank you preferred, Chase Ink Bold, and American Express Gold. Obviously I need a no foreign transaction fee. Is there anything else i should look for. Certain cards offer a % back at gas stations or supermarkets, is there anyway to know if Canadian gas stations or supermarkets qualify without calling each cards customer service? Also anything else I can take advantage of before I move back to Canada, I'm not too worried about my credit score (743) which from what i hear doesn't follow me home as I have Canadian credit based on my prior life and social insurance number.

Thanks for any help

rated:
JohnnyWise said:   Hello everybody. I'm a Canadian citizen who has been doing a residency down in the USA and will be returning home in a year. The Canadian credit cards are no where near as good as the options down here, so I am looking at keeping a couple to use while back in Canada. Lately I have just been applying for a new card every 3 months or so for the bonus but I am wondering what US card would be the best for rewards(miles/Cash Back etc.) while living and spending in Canada. Currently I have the Chase Sapphire preferred, AMEX Hilton honors, NFL extrapoints, Chase Marriot preferred, Citi thank you preferred, Chase Ink Bold, and American Express Gold. Obviously I need a no foreign transaction fee. Is there anything else i should look for. Certain cards offer a % back at gas stations or supermarkets, is there anyway to know if Canadian gas stations or supermarkets qualify without calling each cards customer service? Also anything else I can take advantage of before I move back to Canada, I'm not too worried about my credit score (743) which from what i hear doesn't follow me home as I have Canadian credit based on my prior life and social insurance number.

Thanks for any help


You may want to check into whether these cards will cancel if you change your address to a Canadian address.

rated:
RedSombrero said:   JohnnyWise said:   Hello everybody. I'm a Canadian citizen who has been doing a residency down in the USA and will be returning home in a year. The Canadian credit cards are no where near as good as the options down here, so I am looking at keeping a couple to use while back in Canada. Lately I have just been applying for a new card every 3 months or so for the bonus but I am wondering what US card would be the best for rewards(miles/Cash Back etc.) while living and spending in Canada. Currently I have the Chase Sapphire preferred, AMEX Hilton honors, NFL extrapoints, Chase Marriot preferred, Citi thank you preferred, Chase Ink Bold, and American Express Gold. Obviously I need a no foreign transaction fee. Is there anything else i should look for. Certain cards offer a % back at gas stations or supermarkets, is there anyway to know if Canadian gas stations or supermarkets qualify without calling each cards customer service? Also anything else I can take advantage of before I move back to Canada, I'm not too worried about my credit score (743) which from what i hear doesn't follow me home as I have Canadian credit based on my prior life and social insurance number.

Thanks for any help


You may want to check into whether these cards will cancel if you change your address to a Canadian address.

There's also currency risk for making the charges in US dollars, but your earnings and money being in Canadian dollars. Some of those cards also have foreign transaction fees that exceed the value of rewards. Finally, some cards only give bonus rewards for US merchants.

rated:
This is really useful. Take that, various conflicting credit card ads!

rated:
Personally, I consider 5% the standard I expect from a credit card in rewards one way or another.
I have had a GM MasterCard since 1997. They give me 5% back to me on every purchase towards a new vehicle, which I buy every 3-4 years. I have never had any issues with GM cars (every car maker has haters) and have gotten $2000 off three of my past 5 cars. Even better, they have started "topping off" rewards a few years ago. As an example, if you have $2050 in rewards you'll probably get an offer at some point (they only do it once or twice a year) offering to round that up to $3,000 if you buy a new car by X. They also remove the normal caps on how much you can redeem on each model so the entire $3,000 comes off the car. Knowing this, I use the card for EVERYTHING until I get just over $2,000 in rewards and then put it aside for occasional use. It may be a year or two before I'm ready to buy but a "top off" offer will show up.

This February, they went one better. I have my normal $2,000 in rebates banked for a long time and they not only topped it to $3,000 but said they would make it $4,000 if I bought a Buick since I was a Pontiac buyer. I did indeed go shopping as it about time and got a full $4,000 from the GM MasterCard off my purchase. I checked every time of the number as we all probably do. That means at the end of the day that credit card ended up paying me back about 10% on EVERY purchase I had made on it. NOT BAD!

Since I know I can build that $2,000 up long before I want a car, I also carry a Citi card, a Discover Card and a Chase Freedom card. All, as we know, have revolving 5% categories each quarter. If something I am buying falls into one of the categories I will use that card instead of GM knowing I get that 5% back sooner. I shop Amazon a lot and Discover now lets you immediately use your Cash Back towards purchases if you select that card so while gas is paid at 5% by both Discover and Chase next quarter, Discover will probably get most of my gas purchases so I can use it right away for discount on Amazon.

Chase allows you to put the rebates back on your card as a credit and they move fast so I like that, Discover does the "Amazon thing" I mentioned but Citi usually has the worst categories and you have to build up $25 before they will mail you a check. It's like Citi makes their program as unattractive as possible. I keep that card in case they end up with a categories the others don't, but am considering ditching them. If my purchase doesn't give me 5% on any of these cards, back to GM for 5%. I'm getting my 5% on pretty much every purchase now using Citi, Chase or Discover or later when I buy a car with GM, but I'm getting it.

Worth a shot if someone wants to give this a try. Works for me.

rated:
FWIW - Associated Bank now offers 1.25% CB CC no annual fee.

http://www.mybonusrewardscard.com/credit/consumerEarn.do

rated:
jw530 said:   FWIW - Associated Bank now offers 1.25% CB CC no annual fee.

http://www.mybonusrewardscard.com/credit/consumerEarn.do

Beginning at just 25,000 points for a round-trip airline ticket worth $325.
~1.625 if used for travel
1.5% back with $50 AF or 1.95% for travel

rated:
Has anyone (here or anywhere) compiled a list of which CashBack/reward credit cards count WalMart superstores (the ones with the grocery stores) as a grocery store when charged ?

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 194 95 969798121
  • Page


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014