• filter:
  • 196 97 9899100121
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
dukerau said:   What do you want to use your rewards for? Award plane tickets? If so, which airline? Travel (non award)? Cash?

Sorry if this sounds terribly vague, but, in general, I am willing to consider all options (i.e. cash and travel). The main goal I would like to accomplish is find a card which gives me the highest return on what we/I spend.

For Cash Back, I would most likely be putting the money back to buying an airline ticket or stay at a hotel. I tend to travel on Delta or United since I do not have a particular loyalty to either one. However, I noticed that I could get up to Silver level (on Delta or United) within the next year from conference flights alone. As for hotels, I tend to prefer Marriott and Holiday Inn as do my parents.

rated:
jwx23 said:   dukerau said:   What do you want to use your rewards for? Award plane tickets? If so, which airline? Travel (non award)? Cash?

Sorry if this sounds terribly vague, but, in general, I am willing to consider all options (i.e. cash and travel). The main goal I would like to accomplish is find a card which gives me the highest return on what we/I spend.

For Cash Back, I would most likely be putting the money back to buying an airline ticket or stay at a hotel. I tend to travel on Delta or United since I do not have a particular loyalty to either one. However, I noticed that I could get up to Silver level (on Delta or United) within the next year from conference flights alone. As for hotels, I tend to prefer Marriott and Holiday Inn as do my parents.

In my limited experience, I would suggest going for signup bonuses instead of a single card. Since you like Holiday Inn, why not try for the Chase Priority Club Visa card as one of the cards you apply for? There was a link for 80,000 Priority Club points after $1k spend in 3 months.

Also, where is the last $445/month going?

Barclays can be difficult to get approved by, but their Arrival MasterCard (40k "miles" after $1k spend in 3 months) is good for travel because you get 10% back when you redeem your "miles" (1c/point) for travel expenses. US Bank Cash+ Visa (no-annual fee) has Restaurants as one of their selectable 5% Cash Back categories, if you're looking for an everyday card. Chase Freedom is another no-annual fee card good for building up your credit history and relationship with the bank.

rated:
jwx23 said:   dukerau said:   What do you want to use your rewards for? Award plane tickets? If so, which airline? Travel (non award)? Cash?

I would recommend a card you haven't listed - Fidelity AMEX. 2% back on everything, no annual fee. Here's my opinion on the other cards you're considering and why I wouldn't choose them:

AMEX BCP - this is a great card, but with the annual cap and the 1% on the "everything else" category, your average CashBack rate will be < 2%
SPG - essentially gets you 1.25 Delta miles per $1 spent (United gets a horrible transfer rate from SPG). Delta miles are tough to redeem for good value. Even if you get 1.5cpm, you're still short of 2% CashBack rate
CSP - this was the closest call for me. You do get tons of flexibility with Chase UR. Your preferred brands of United and Marriott are both transfer partners. But in the end your average CashBack rate will be 1.28 points/$ (based on $700/month on restaurants and travel, $1800 other). That means you'd need to get 1.6cpp to beat 2% CashBack, and I think that's a tall order.
Arrival - beats the Fido AMEX if you redeem towards travel thanks to the dividend on travel redemption. But with the $90 annual fee, assuming you redeem for maximum value, you'd still need $45K annually to beat the Fido AMEX 2% no annual fee. You report spending 30K/year, so again, I go with Fido AMEX.

rated:
jwx23 said:   I am a postgraduate student looking to get a 2nd CC. My current CC is a WellsFargo Rewards card. My parents will be AUs on the card thereby combining our spending (being AUs is something they suggested). Combined, our monthly spending is approximately $2,500 total; $380 restaurants, $125 gas, $650 supermarkets and $300 on airfare and hotels.

I have referred to NerdWallet & Credit Card Tune-Up. Both have suggested various cards including Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) and Blue Cash Preferred (BCP). For the past week I have been struggling nailing down which one seems the best. This is partially due to me flying (on United or Delta) quite a bit to attend conferences (CSP seeming preferable) while Cash Back on groceries sounds very nice (BCP seeming preferable). The CSP has the added benefit of no foreign transaction fees which is nice for when I travel abroad (~2/year). Also, I am aware of the $6,000 cap on grocery spending with BCP. In addition, Credit Card Tune-Up has noted that Starwood Preferred and Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard could grant rewards higher than CSP and BCP by $400-600/year.

Thus, I am inclined to apply for one of these cards, but my FICO is not stellar (~710). I was hit rather hard due to requesting a CLI with WellsFargo. The CLI was denied, but, three months later, my CLI was almost doubled.

Would anyone recommend one of these cards or another one given my situation?

I suggest 2 cards. Considering your spending I would suggest Chase Sapphire Preferred (for dining and travel) and .... AMEX Personal Rewards Gold Card(without an AU because it costs ), US bank Flex Perks card, or AMEX blue Cash Preferred (for gas and grocery).

Are your parents suggesting being AUs in order to help you get approved? If so, what's your credit score?

rated:
bytem3 said:   Also, where is the last $445/month going?

Various expenditures such as utilities, books, warehouse clubs, etc.

dukerau said:   I would recommend a card you haven't listed - Fidelity AMEX. 2% back on everything, no annual fee.

Thank you for the recommendation. I have thought about the Fido AMEX, but I do not have a Fido account currently. That might change in the future.

imbatman said:   I suggest 2 cards. Considering your spending I would suggest Chase Sapphire Preferred (for dining and travel) and .... AMEX Personal Rewards Gold Card(without an AU because it costs ), US bank Flex Perks card, or AMEX blue Cash Preferred (for gas and grocery).

Are your parents suggesting being AUs in order to help you get approved? If so, what's your credit score?

Thanks for the suggestion. They would join as AUs for two reasons. First, we would be replacing our family credit card. Second, I would be getting points from their spending.

rated:
jwx23 said:   

Thanks for the suggestion. They would join as AUs for two reasons. First, we would be replacing our family credit card. Second, I would be getting points from their spending.

so who's responsible for their spending? Why do you need a family credit card?

rated:
I'm a new poster to Fatwallet, but read lots of forums and look for deals on here regularly. Forgive my naivety in advance.

My husband and I have 3 credit cards (AMEX Blue, Chase United MileagePlus Card, and Sam's Club Discover). We've had most of these cards for at least 4-5 years, and the Chase card (formerly a Continental Card) used to work for us when we lived in NYC and flew Continental all the time. We now live in North Carolina and fly whatever is the best deal (AA, US Air, Delta, Southwest, Jetblue). Similarly, we don't have a preferred hotel chain and frequently bid on hotels on Priceline. Our monthly expenses are about $2500-3500. Most of our groceries (and food expenses totaling ~300/mo) are made at Whole Foods, but we occasionally shop at other grocery stores, Costco, and/or Sam's Club (~$100). We almost always get gas at Citgo and spend ~$450/mo. Our other expenses depend on the month and may go towards home improvement projects, clothes, personal care, dining out, etc. We are expecting our first child early next year, so upcoming expenses will go towards medical costs and items to prepare for his/her arrival. I'm not sure I really want to keep switching cards, just looking to get the best return on our costs.

Based on what I've read, I think we need to switch our AMEX Blue to Fidelity AMEX for the 2%. I don't know if my husband has a fidelity account, but my work retirement is set up through them. Do you recommend creating a joint account for the Cash Back? We could also wait until we have our child and set up CB to a 529.

I think it also makes sense to switch the Chase VISA to the Priceline VISA asap, since we use Priceline anyway. Too bad we missed the 2%!
Any suggestions for a better Discover card? I like having AMEX (for Costco), VISA (when AMEX or Discover not taken - which does happen to me), and Discover (for Sam's Club), but could do a Mastercard in place of the VISA.

Thanks to all who post such helpful information, I've learned so much and look forward to any additional tips (or links to other forums) you may have.

rated:
ncll said:   I'm a new poster to Fatwallet, but read lots of forums and look for deals on here regularly. Forgive my naivety in advance.

My husband and I have 3 credit cards (AMEX Blue, Chase United MileagePlus Card, and Sam's Club Discover). We've had most of these cards for at least 4-5 years, and the Chase card (formerly a Continental Card) used to work for us when we lived in NYC and flew Continental all the time. We now live in North Carolina and fly whatever is the best deal (AA, US Air, Delta, Southwest, Jetblue). Similarly, we don't have a preferred hotel chain and frequently bid on hotels on Priceline. Our monthly expenses are about $2500-3500. Most of our groceries (and food expenses totaling ~300/mo) are made at Whole Foods, but we occasionally shop at other grocery stores, Costco, and/or Sam's Club (~$100). We almost always get gas at Citgo and spend ~$450/mo. Our other expenses depend on the month and may go towards home improvement projects, clothes, personal care, dining out, etc. We are expecting our first child early next year, so upcoming expenses will go towards medical costs and items to prepare for his/her arrival. I'm not sure I really want to keep switching cards, just looking to get the best return on our costs.

Based on what I've read, I think we need to switch our AMEX Blue to Fidelity AMEX for the 2%. I don't know if my husband has a fidelity account, but my work retirement is set up through them. Do you recommend creating a joint account for the Cash Back? We could also wait until we have our child and set up CB to a 529.

I think it also makes sense to switch the Chase VISA to the Priceline VISA asap, since we use Priceline anyway. Too bad we missed the 2%!
Any suggestions for a better Discover card? I like having AMEX (for Costco), VISA (when AMEX or Discover not taken - which does happen to me), and Discover (for Sam's Club), but could do a Mastercard in place of the VISA.

Thanks to all who post such helpful information, I've learned so much and look forward to any additional tips (or links to other forums) you may have.

Is your AMEX Blue the one where you get 5% at grocery, gas, drugstores after spending $6500 in a year? If so, think long and hard about dropping that one, as many people (like me) wish they could get it now that is no longer offered. That said, Fidelity AMEX is a good card. The Priceline Visa was only valuable as a 2% card. I don't know anything about the Sam's Club card.

You need to decide - do you want 1 card for "all" your spend (all in quotes due to the stores you shop at which restrict card type) or do you want to use a combination of 2-4 cards to maximize your category CashBack? If you want one card, Fidelity AMEX is tough to beat. If you want to use a combo, instead of thinking about Visa/MC/AMEX/Discover, think about your spend categories.
You spend a lot on gas, not much on food/groceries. What about the rest of your spend - what category(ies) make up the bulk of it? If you decide you don't want to keep the AMEX Blue, consider converting to AMEX Blue Cash Preferred. 6% at groceries, 3% at gas, but it is capped at $6K spend / year. If your travel spend is significant, Chase Sapphire Preferred is one to consider. If you dine out a lot, another notch for CSP. If you can post a monthly budget (by category) and how many cards you want to have in your rotation, you'll get specific recommendations.

rated:
ncll said:   I'm a new poster to Fatwallet, but read lots of forums and look for deals on here regularly. Forgive my naivety in advance.

I suggest looking into Southwest Airlines Premier Credit Cards deal. If you apply for two (personal & Business)+add 6,000 points you'll get Companion pass status (which basically means flying free for your companion on Southwest)

50k miles = $500 GC OR $833 in southwest airfare.

Terms for Companion Pass:

What are the Companion Pass Rules and Regulations?

Companion Pass status is based on taking 100 qualifying one-way flights or earning 110,000 Qualifying Points in a calendar year. A qualifying flight for Rapid Rewards Companion Pass status is a one-way revenue flight on Southwest Airlines from an origin city to a destination city, including any intermediate stops and/or connections on Southwest Airlines. Companion Pass Qualifying Points are earned from revenue flights, points issued on Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners. Purchased points and points earned from program enrollment, Tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and Partner bonuses do not count toward Companion Pass status.

1. To get the companion pass, you need to earn 110,000 points in a calendar year. Each credit card nets you 52,000 points (50,000 bonus points + 2,000 for the spend). If you get 2 cards, you get 104,000 points and need to earn 6,000 more through CC spend, flying, transferring from hotel or other partners, using the shopping portal or other methods. Also, bonus points earned from the Plus can be combined with those earned from the Premier (business and personal can also be combined).

2. The year in which the points post is the calendar year for which they're considered for the companion pass. For example, if you were approved for a card in December 2012, but you received the bonus points on your January 2013 statement, those points are eligible toward earning your companion pass in 2013.

3. The companion pass is valid for the year in which you earn it AND the next year (so 2013 and 2014 if earning now).

4. The companion pass enables 1 companion to fly on your exact itinerary every time you fly on Southwest, regardless of whether you paid with cash or with points.

5. You can change your companion 3 times over the life of the pass (though some say it is calendar year in practice).

All 4 Southwest Cards are Visa Signature, meaning they also qualify for Visa Signature’s +1 Movie Fridays free ticket offer still running:

rated:
It looks like we get 1 point for every qualified $1 purchase on AMEX Blue. Most of our statements show that we get about the same amount of points as our balance (~2500). We mainly use AMEX currently. If we want to use points to pay for expenses that month, 1000 points = $6.00. My husband signed up for this card several years ago and I joined with him, so I don't know what the terms were at the time, and I can't find other details on my account.

For an average month/year (say $2800/$33600), here is a breakdown of expenses:
22% travel (11% hotel, 8% air)
15% transportation (fuel is 9% of 15%)
13% grocery
10% communications (cell, internet mainly)
10% restaurants
7% health care
6% wholesale
The other 15% goes to a variety of things (computer gadgets, clothes, pet care, beauty care, gifts, donations to charity, etc), none of which are significant as a category in AMEX records.

And, I don't mind having a few cards, but would need at least an AMEX for Costco. I think Sam's only takes Discover too. I'd be ok having two additional cards, but probably not more than that. I'm not sure I'm ready to take on managing more than that to get the most rewards.

Thanks!

rated:
ncll said:   It looks like we get 1 point for every qualified $1 purchase on AMEX Blue. Most of our statements show that we get about the same amount of points as our balance (~2500). We mainly use AMEX currently. If we want to use points to pay for expenses that month, 1000 points = $6.00. My husband signed up for this card several years ago and I joined with him, so I don't know what the terms were at the time, and I can't find other details on my account.

For an average month/year (say $2800/$33600), here is a breakdown of expenses:
22% travel (11% hotel, 8% air)
15% transportation (fuel is 9% of 15%)
13% grocery
10% communications (cell, internet mainly)
10% restaurants
7% health care
6% wholesale
The other 15% goes to a variety of things (computer gadgets, clothes, pet care, beauty care, gifts, donations to charity, etc), none of which are significant as a category in AMEX records.

And, I don't mind having a few cards, but would need at least an AMEX for Costco. I think Sam's only takes Discover too. I'd be ok having two additional cards, but probably not more than that. I'm not sure I'm ready to take on managing more than that to get the most rewards.

Thanks!

If you're comfortable pretending you have a business (or perhaps you do), you could get the Chase Ink Plus card. 50K signup offer, 5 points per $1 on telecom and office supplies, 2 points per $1 on hotel and fuel. First year no annual fee, then you could switch to Ink Classic to avoid annual fee beyond the first year. It is a Mastercard. Use that, your current Discover card at Sam's, and get Fidelity AMEX for all spending outside the above categories, and that's a great combo.

If you're not comfortable with getting a biz card, I would recommend:
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred ($250 sign up bonus, $75 annual fee waived first year; or you can switch your existing AMEX, but you won't get the sign up bonus and you will owe annual fee first year). 6% CashBack at grocery, 3% at gas and department stores. You will hit the 6K annual spend cap, but not go over by much.
Fidelity AMEX 2% back on everything else.

In addition, you can add other cards to enhance your earnings, depending on how many cards you want to juggle:
Citi Forward This may only be available to students now (maybe there's a loophole) but it offers 5 points per $1 spent at restaurants, book stores (including Amazon), and entertainment. 1 point = 1 cent for certain redemption options like mortgage payment, student loan payment, gift cards.
Pentagon Federal Premium Travel Rewards AMEX 5% back on airfare
PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa 5% back on fuel

Chase Sapphire Preferred could get you 2 points per $1 on all travel, but that hardly beats the Fido AMEX unless you can extract a lot of value from frequent flyer transfers. Same with AMEX Premier Rewards Gold (3x on airfare). Your spend level just doesn't justify the annual fees on these cards.

rated:
Hi all,

My sister is looking for a credit card with an introductory rate of 0% for a year and with good rewards.

She says that her spending is usually like this: bills >eating out> gas > groceries.

I was going to recommend the discover it card and the chase freedom ( I have this one myself).

Are there any other cards that may be as good or even better for her?

rated:
She should get a card for 0% and a different card for rewards.

rated:
Hello everyone,
I finally got my credit score above 800, so now I am being flooded with credit card offers that are much better than the ones that used to come in the mail. I'm looking for a little help in either selecting a new card or holding off for better offers. The two that stand out to me right now are the Marriott Rewards credit card: 70,000 bonus after 3 month $1,000 spend (easy to do, should clear on normal purchases in little more than a month) and 2 nights free stay at Marriott every year after the first - downside is the $85 annual fee after the first year. Probably wouldn't put any purchases besides hotel expenditures on the card after the $1,000 initial spend as I have the Chase Freedom, BOA Cash Rewards, and Capital One Cash Back cards.

The other is an offer for a Citi ThankYou card: offers $250 in gift cards after minimum $1,000 spend over 3 months. No annual fee, but only 1.2 points per dollar spent (wouldn't use after initial spend for anything, but no annual fee so no problem keeping open). After 6 months my credit score will be back to 800, so they're essentially just giving me a free $250.

So question is do I, 1) signup for the Marriott and have 5-7 nights of free hotels but pay an annual fee, or cancel after the first year to avoid the fee but hurt my credit score. 2) Signup for the Citi with $250 free gift cards (not as good as cash, but not bad either), collect the bonus and never use the card again - improves my credit after 6 months and doesn't cost me anything to keep it open. 3) Hold off for a better offer - not sure what the best mail offers are right now, so the ones I received might just be run of the mill...

rated:
unemplystudent101 said:   
70,000 bonus after 3 month $1,000 spend (easy to do, should clear on normal purchases in little more than a month) and 2 nights free stay at Marriott every year after the first - downside is the $85 annual fee after the first year. Probably wouldn't put any purchases besides hotel expenditures on the card after the $1,000 initial spend as I have the Chase Freedom, BOA Cash Rewards, and Capital One Cash Back cards.

So question is do I, 1) signup for the Marriott and have 5-7 nights of free hotels but pay an annual fee, or cancel after the first year to avoid the fee but hurt my credit score. 2) Signup for the Citi with $250 free gift cards (not as good as cash, but not bad either), collect the bonus and never use the card again - improves my credit after 6 months and doesn't cost me anything to keep it open. 3) Hold off for a better offer - not sure what the best mail offers are right now, so the ones I received might just be run of the mill...

You got an offer for a Marriott card that gives you TWTextO free nights every year? If so, that mailed offer is better than any other offer I've heard of for this card (70k +$100 statement credit with 1 night a year)

in re to your ?s
1) I keep the Marriott card, but with the recent devaluation it's on my Chase chopping block (so it will be the next Chase card I cancel). Even so, I get more than $85 out of it a year. It won't hurt your credit much at all if you cancel it.
2) If you already have a $0 annual fee card that you will keep to age your credit, I would go for something with more of a sign up bonus than $250 (There are a couple of standard $400+ offers out there).
3) Apply for what you want now. Don't focus on mailed offers or what offers *may* come. If you happen to get an AMAZING offer in the mail, you should still be able to apply for it and make it worth your while. (i.e. if I apply for Marriott and Citi card today, and get a mailer for 100k points on Chase Sapphire next week, I should still be able to apply for the Chase Sapphire in 60-90 days and get it). There are a few scenarios where you wouldn't be able to jump on it, but if you're not hitting AORs hard, I wouldn't worry about it.

rated:
imbatman,
Always read your posts as they are full of great information, thanks!
Have you ever seen or heard of a 100k Chase Sapphire offer or just using that as an example.

rated:
alanmax said:   imbatman,
Always read your posts as they are full of great information, thanks!
Have you ever seen or heard of a 100k Chase Sapphire offer or just using that as an example.

Yes, and yes (Sapphire Preferred). http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1105825/

don't count on it nowadays though

rated:
If you WANTED to get a credit card from NFCU, which would you get ?

$ The Platinum Card is just a plain-jane card.

$ The nRewards Card earns 1% CashBack with NO ANNUAL FEE.

$ The cashRewards Card earns 1% CashBack up to $10K + 1.5% over $10K with NO ANNUAL FEE.

$ The goRewards Card earns 1% CashBack with an $18 ANNUAL FEE.

$ The Flagship Rewards Card earns 2% CashBack with a $49 ANNUAL FEE, so in essence you would earn 1% on the first $5K and 2% thereafter.

Anyone have any insight into any of these or any additional benefits, or of any other cards they offer that I missed ?

rated:
HBax said:   If you WANTED to get a credit card from NFCU, which would you get ?

$ The cashRewards Card earns 1% CashBack up to $10K + 1.5% over $10K with NO ANNUAL FEE.

$ The Flagship Rewards Card earns 2% CashBack with a $49 ANNUAL FEE, so in essence you would earn 1% on the first $5K and 2% thereafter.

Anyone have any insight into any of these or any additional benefits, or of any other cards they offer that I missed ?

nRewards

rated:
HBax said:   If you WANTED to get a credit card from NFCU, which would you get ?

I would pick either of the no annual fee cards that comes with rewards. I personally have the cashRewards card.
AKAIK all cards have relatively the same benefits, so no reason to pay an annual fee.

rated:
That was my thinking. The goRewards Card seems dumb unless it has some other benefits I'm not aware of, and the Flagship Rewards Card might be workable if it was 5% over $10k, but 2% just isn't that useful.

rated:
imbatman said:   She should get a card for 0% and a different card for rewards.

Thank you for answering imbatman.

Which cards do you recommend?

I thought the freedom card had 15 months of 0% APR and decent rotating rewards. Are there cards that have better rewards?

rated:
Applied for:
* PenFed American Express - Approved same day for $50,000 minus current CC line...they told me the max CL they allow across all cards is 50k. That's the first time I've heard that. Others know anything different?

* Sallie Me - Instant approval. CL is 10k? Why so stingy, Barclay?

* Hilton HHonors - Instant approval. CL 25k. Not bad, for Citi.

rated:
Follow up: The more I look into everything, the more I think it is about time to do an AOR. I am getting married next year, and the spend is probably about the same amount as all my other expenses combined in my lifetime, so I want to do everything I can to get Cash Back, etc.
If both my fiancee and I do an AOR with around 4-5 cards each, we can net around $2,000 total free rewards. Is there a better solution than this? I understand I may get a red flag or two on this one as it is fishing, but if someone has a good suggestion for a specific card or otherwise for a large spend, please PM me. Thank you!

rated:
Can you pay in installments? Pay 1/3 now. More in 3 months. The again 3 months later. If so. 3 AORs.

rated:
I should be able to; thanks imbatman.

rated:
Chase Slate is still offering 0% APR for 15 months with no fee for balance transfers during the first 60 days. I'm considering applying. If I get the card, I would be taking a cash advance from another card, transferring the balance to Slate, and investing the free APR amount. Does anyone know how long Chase takes to do BTs? Thanks.

rated:
I wanted to get the Citi Forward card (5% on eating out and movies). Is that only available for students? I was applying for it this morning and I see they ask for school information in the application. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks!

rated:
jgooner22 said:   I wanted to get the Citi Forward card (5% on eating out and movies). Is that only available for students? I was applying for it this morning and I see they ask for school information in the application. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks!
Looking at the application, if you ever attended college -- and especially if you graduated -- that section of the app can be easily completed truthfully.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   jgooner22 said:   I wanted to get the Citi Forward card (5% on eating out and movies). Is that only available for students? I was applying for it this morning and I see they ask for school information in the application. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks!
Looking at the application, if you ever attended college -- and especially if you graduated -- that section of the app can be easily completed truthfully.

Sorry, I lost you there. I graduated from grad school 3 years ago. How should I fill out the application then since it asks for current class year? Am I missing something here?

rated:
Hello. My wife and I use 2 cards for all of our spending. Chase Sapphire for restaurants and Alaska Air Visa for everything else. I think I must have misread the chart for miles on the Alaska card. I was under the impression I could hit 2% with this card but I do not see how. A $90 flight costs 12,500 miles +$2.50. And that is the ratio I am seeing on most of the flights I want. I get 1 mile per $1 spent on most everything with this card.

I like the yearly companion fare I get which easily covers the $75 yearly fee, but for daily spending I'd like to get a different card. We spend about 40k a year on non-restaurant purchases. I'm also not too interested in categories/grocery cards and want travel rewards.

I have a Barclaycard Arrival which I use for my business and I love it. I can't use it for my biz and home expenses. I have thought about getting another (1 biz, 1 personal). Are there any other 2ish% travel cards I should be looking at? Thanks.

rated:
Matrim33 said:   Hello. My wife and I use 2 cards for all of our spending. Chase Sapphire for restaurants and Alaska Air Visa for everything else. I think I must have misread the chart for miles on the Alaska card. I was under the impression I could hit 2% with this card but I do not see how. A $90 flight costs 12,500 miles +$2.50. And that is the ratio I am seeing on most of the flights I want. I get 1 mile per $1 spent on most everything with this card.

I like the yearly companion fare I get which easily covers the $75 yearly fee, but for daily spending I'd like to get a different card. We spend about 40k a year on non-restaurant purchases. I'm also not too interested in categories/grocery cards and want travel rewards.

I have a Barclaycard Arrival which I use for my business and I love it. I can't use it for my biz and home expenses. I have thought about getting another (1 biz, 1 personal). Are there any other 2ish% travel cards I should be looking at? Thanks.

depends on what sort of travel.
ROund trip biz class on Qantas is 110,000 Alaskan Airlines miles. That's like an $8k ticket (over 7 cents pet point)

North AMerica to Tahiti for 120k Alaska AIr miles on Air France is a good one too.

for domestic flights - not many great redemptions with Alaska Air miles.

rated:
Regarding AMEX Blue Cash Preferred 6% on groceries are capped @ $6k/yr.

Is the $6K cap per calendar year or card membership year?

TIA!

rated:
Just curious, I haven't seen this card in discussion, a straight 1.5% Cash Back card from Capital One. Haven't checked out cards in a while and was just looking through today.

Any comments?

Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card

Summary of Key Benefits:
  • Earn unlimited 1.5% Cash Back on every purchase, every day
  • No rotating categories and no sign ups needed to earn
    cash rewards
  • Redeem the Cash Back you earn for any amount, any time
  • Save with a low intro APR on purchases and no annual fee
  • One-time $100 bonus once you spend $500 on purchases
    within the first 3 months

rated:
Just looked at that one, howie888. Nerdwallet picks it as the best card this summer for straight Cash Back. Looks like it replaced the Capital One 1.5% card that's in the quick summary so I updated it. Or tried to, I guess a mod bounced it.

rated:
howie888 said:   Just curious, I haven't seen this card in discussion, a straight 1.5% Cash Back card from Capital One.

So, it looks like the main distinction between that and the pre-existing Capital One card is that the older card pays 1% Cash Back and then gives you a 50% bonus on that amount once per year, while the new card looks like a straight 1.5% Cash Back card.

I'd be interested in converting, but I suspect I might lose out on the 50% bonus on the amount of Cash Back I've accrued since my last payout, so maybe I'll wait until the end of my program year so the balance gets reset to zero.

rated:
jgooner22 said:   I wanted to get the Citi Forward card (5% on eating out and movies). Is that only available for students? I was applying for it this morning and I see they ask for school information in the application. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks!

Bumping this, can anyone please clarify? Thanks!

rated:
howie888 said:   Just curious, I haven't seen this card in discussion, a straight 1.5% Cash Back card from Capital One. Haven't checked out cards in a while and was just looking through today.

Any comments?

Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card

Summary of Key Benefits:
  • Earn unlimited 1.5% Cash Back on every purchase, every day
  • No rotating categories and no sign ups needed to earn
    cash rewards
  • Redeem the Cash Back you earn for any amount, any time
  • Save with a low intro APR on purchases and no annual fee
  • One-time $100 bonus once you spend $500 on purchases
    within the first 3 months

This is nice, I might convert my existing Cap One card to this one.

rated:
I recommend the Perkstreet debit card. It gives 1% back on everything, 2% back for online purchase, and additional money back for purchases through their affiliate partners. When debt gets out of hand, it can make you its slave. Having the a debit option with perks is a good alternative.

http://www.perkstreet.com/account_home.aspx

rated:
jsouths said:   I recommend the Perkstreet debit card. It gives 1% back on everything, 2% back for online purchase, and additional money back for purchases through their affiliate partners. When debt gets out of hand, it can make you its slave. Having the a debit option with perks is a good alternative.

http://www.perkstreet.com/account_home.aspx

For people who need debit cards either because their credit is bad or it would be if they had credit cards, PerkStreet is awesome. But it's not if you are trying to maximize rewards if you can safety get and maintain credit.

To get the for rewards value you must redeem for gift cards -- therefore losing rewards on those purchases. For Cash Back, the value is only 0.909% and 1.818% -- $22 in rewards (Perks) to get $20 Cash Back.

Also, to get the 2% Cash Back for in store purchases you need to lock up $5,000 at 0%. For me that money is in a rewards checking account for me earning 3%, making the 2% in store rewards a $150 annual fee. Also, the higher rewards rate is limited to $2,500 in spending per year.

- 1% unlimited Cash Back for all non-PIN debit card purchases*
- 2% Cash Back on online purchases at: Amazon.com®, iTunes®, Target.com, Apple.com, WalMart.com and Bestbuy.com.* Online purchase bonus perks limited to $2,500 in spend per account every calendar year.
- 2% Cash Back in-store, when you have a Current Account Balance of $5,000 or more at: WalMart, Target®, Best Buy® & Apple® stores.* Offline purchase bonus perks limited to $2,500 in spend per account every calendar year.
- 2% unlimited Cash Back when you and a friend use your cards together at the same restaurant, bar or coffee shop.* Transactions must occur within 60 minutes of each other to qualify.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 196 97 9899100121
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014