• filter:
  • 198 99 100101102111
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
structurek said:   What would be a good everyday card that would also be good for gas? (Already have chase freedom) I was thinking of applying for the sallie mae world card.. I think my local wall-mart is coded as a groceries store since it is a Super WalMart. I do almost all of my shopping there or online at Amazon.

Would that be sufficient or should I go with the 2% on all purchases from Fidelity? I don't think I could spend enough to really take advantage of the AMEX bluecash preferred, but the bluecash everyday would be reasonable.

What advantage does the capital one 1.5% have over the Fidelity?

I know there are also some cards that will give you an extra $25 gift card of your choice every time you redeem $100 worth of points/credit/cash. What cards do that and which would you recommend?

Thanks!

Sallie Mae is a good card. Low caps on gas/grocery reward spend though.

Advantage of capital one is that you do not need a fidelity account, if you're inclined not to have one.

US Bank Cash Plus Visa Signature does a $25 bonus on redeeming $100 (once per year). Also has 5% & 2% categories you can choose.

rated:
I'd also throw in the PenFed Cash Rewards; 5% credit each month for gas.

rated:
Penfed wouldn't give me a card, they told me my credit score is 774 but I had 6 new cards opened in Jan, while my AOA is like 6 years. Denied because of Pyramiding... Crazy... They told me they want to see 1-2 years of account history on my new cards... Its gonna suck because I opened 4 new cards on the day I app'd penfed... LoL, I guess I will get the Sallie Mae or something for gas...

rated:
Mini-AOR complete. I've been slogging along with a 1% back $300 max/year Citi dividend card. Upgraded last night to Amex Blue Cash Preferred for 6% groceries and 3% gas, Fido Investment Rewards Amex for 2% on everything else, and a Cap One Quicksilver for 1.5% back on all non-Amex purchases. Thanks to FWF for the great info. Hoping to clear $1200 over the next 12 months in bonuses and Cash Back.

rated:
Matrim33 said:   tjguitar85 said:   STEALfromCAGgive2FW said:   Also that penfed 1.5 card is an Amex, so it's better to get the fido amex

if I was eligible for the defender, I'd take that every time. Auto statement credit > messing with redemptions.

But I don't charge enough for an extra 0.5% to make much of a difference.

I have the Fidelity Amex and I have it auto cash out my points monthly. It's super easy.

As I mentioned, I don't charge enough. It takes me 6 months to a year to cash out my Fidelity Amex. It's "super easy", but you still have to transfer it from Fidelity to your bank account, unless you keep it at Fidelity. Statement credit would get rid of that step, not to mention lower your bill slightly.

rated:
Wow. Stumbled on this thread from another board. Any recommendations for a simple scenario?

I don't really want a different card for everything, and would prefer Cash Back to travel or other deals.

I currently have one card I use (and one I never use) that has no rewards of any kind. 3-5k per month spent on it. Credit score was 820 last time it was run (couple months ago)

I can appreciate the results that people are getting, but I'm not looking to put that much effort into it.

rated:
VetteVert said:   Wow. Stumbled on this thread from another board. Any recommendations for a simple scenario?

I don't really want a different card for everything, and would prefer Cash Back to travel or other deals.

I currently have one card I use (and one I never use) that has no rewards of any kind. 3-5k per month spent on it. Credit score was 820 last time it was run (couple months ago)

I can appreciate the results that people are getting, but I'm not looking to put that much effort into it.

Off the bat, the Fidelity AMEX has no annual fee and gets you 2% Cash Back on every purchase. Foreign transaction fee is also only 1% (versus the typical 2.75-3% charged by most other Visa/AMEX cards).

If you can give a rough breakdown of that $3-5k/month spend (restaurant, groceries, gas, etc), you would get better recommendations.

ETA: FTF info

rated:
FTF?

Going by this months statement (a little more than normal...around 7k), I'm spending 250ish on gas, 850 eating out, 200 grocery, 500 utilities, and the rest entertainment and shopping. I also forgot to mention that I never carry a balance, if that matters.

Thanks!

rated:
Agree on the Fidelity Amex, zero thought has to go into that card once you have the Fidelity account set up, they just drop a $50.00 check in your Fidelity account each time you spend $2,500 dollars and by far the best customer service experience I've had with any card. I would think about the US Bank card too, a bit more thought, but if you spend that much on eating out each month, just choose restaurants and fast food for your two 5% categories, and set a reminder for each quarter to sign up, and just use the card for the first two months for eating out, then switch back to the Amex for the final month since the 5% caps out at $1,500 in spending per quarter

rated:
Grizz73 said:   Agree on the Fidelity Amex, zero thought has to go into that card once you have the Fidelity account set up, they just drop a $50.00 check in your Fidelity account each time you spend $2,500 dollars and by far the best customer service experience I've had with any card. I would think about the US Bank card too, a bit more thought, but if you spend that much on eating out each month, just choose restaurants and fast food for your two 5% categories, and set a reminder for each quarter to sign up, and just use the card for the first two months for eating out, then switch back to the Amex for the final month since the 5% caps out at $1,500 in spending per quarter

The US Bank Cash+ card 5% caps out at $2000. The cap doesn't start until next quarter (10/1 - 12/31)

rated:
VetteVert said:   FTF?

Going by this months statement (a little more than normal...around 7k), I'm spending 250ish on gas, 850 eating out, 200 grocery, 500 utilities, and the rest entertainment and shopping. I also forgot to mention that I never carry a balance, if that matters.

Thanks!

FTF = foreign transaction fee

dataadmin said:   
The US Bank Cash+ card 5% caps out at $2000. The cap doesn't start until next quarter (10/1 - 12/31)

Depending on how much they eat out (they said that this month's statement was higher than usual and that $850 went towards eating out), they may or may not hit that $2k cap. Even if they did, it likely would not be by much. That said, I do have and like the US Bank Cash+ card, but only for the 5% categories.

@VetteVert: since you want to minimize the number of cards, your decision about what card(s) to get will depend on what CashBack you're willing to give up for that convenience. What stuff and stores fall into your entertainment and shopping categories? Electronics from Newegg? Toys from Amazon? Books from the bookstore? Lingerie from VS? If you are firm on only having a single card, I'd again recommend the FIA Amex with its flat 2% CB. If you're willing to put a little thought into which card to use (i.e. have 2-4), you could potentially have a significant increase in CashBack. Or, if you were willing to apply for multiple cards with signup bonuses, you could easily leverage your usual spend to get those. The "Cash Back" from doing some signup bonuses is 10% (i.e. Chase 50k UR point offers for $5k spend in 3months; in terms of CashBack, 1 UR point = 1 cent). Other signup bonuses could be redeemed for gift cards at places you shop.

rated:
I'd love to get the US Bank card--my spending patterns should keep me below the caps for the categories I choose for the 5%--but it's only available in branch, and, despite the name, US Bank doesn't have branches in half the states in the country.

rated:
TooManyCards said:   I'd love to get the US Bank card--my spending patterns should keep me below the caps for the categories I choose for the 5%--but it's only available in branch, and, despite the name, US Bank doesn't have branches in half the states in the country.
If you have a friend or family member living in an area near a US Bank location and you want to visit them, well...two birds meet my one stone.

rated:
bytem3 said:   If you have a friend or family member living in an area near a US Bank location and you want to visit them, well...two birds meet my one stone.

I don't, really, and paying to fly to a distant part of the country just so I can get a credit card that will save me 5% Cash Back on a fairly moderate amount of spending seems a little counterproductive.

rated:
TooManyCards said:   bytem3 said:   If you have a friend or family member living in an area near a US Bank location and you want to visit them, well...two birds meet my one stone.

I don't, really, and paying to fly to a distant part of the country just so I can get a credit card that will save me 5% Cash Back on a fairly moderate amount of spending seems a little counterproductive.

I've opened accounts (hello, Chase!) when I've been in other states either for vacation or for conferences. If you're going to be somewhere else anyway, you might as well leverage it. Otherwise, find the best thing available to you and get it.

rated:
Oops, sorry, Dataadmin is correct 2,000 is the cap for US Bank Cash + sorry, I have both Chase Freedom and just recently got the US Bank card, 1,500 is the cap for Freedom.

rated:
Quick note about my Fidelity Amex. I called today to tell them that I was going to make a big purchase and my last payment wasn't showing yet and I needed that available. The lady said she could make it available, but thought it would be better to try and raise my limit. I just got the card in April with a small AOR. That AOR hit my "okay credit" pretty hard so I wanted to wait on trying for limit increases.

The lady was really nice and I told her I didn't want any hard inquiries on my credit. She said basically they would ask some questions and do a soft pull. My limit was $7500, she asked what I wanted to go for, I said $12,500. She then asked about my income, my mortgage payment, and my wife's income. She noted that my payment history was perfect. After that she told me she didn't even have to run my credit, she would increase the limit to $12,500. I just went online and it's been raised!

I have been using the heck out of this card for my business (10k+ per month) and maybe that is what made the difference.

It was so weird, some banks are super picky about raising limits. I wasn't even wanting to raise the limit and she basically made me. Crazy morning.

rated:
bytem3 said:   

Thanks!

dataadmin said:   

Depending on how much they eat out (they said that this month's statement was higher than usual and that $850 went towards eating out), they may or may not hit that $2k cap. Even if they did, it likely would not be by much. That said, I do have and like the US Bank Cash+ card, but only for the 5% categories.

@VetteVert: since you want to minimize the number of cards, your decision about what card(s) to get will depend on what CashBack you're willing to give up for that convenience. What stuff and stores fall into your entertainment and shopping categories? Electronics from Newegg? Toys from Amazon? Books from the bookstore? Lingerie from VS? If you are firm on only having a single card, I'd again recommend the FIA Amex with its flat 2% CB. If you're willing to put a little thought into which card to use (i.e. have 2-4), you could potentially have a significant increase in CashBack. Or, if you were willing to apply for multiple cards with signup bonuses, you could easily leverage your usual spend to get those. The "Cash Back" from doing some signup bonuses is 10% (i.e. Chase 50k UR point offers for $5k spend in 3months; in terms of CashBack, 1 UR point = 1 cent). Other signup bonuses could be redeemed for gift cards at places you shop.

This month was higher than normal due to a $3k TV purchase.  I replaced one that died, and that is not a typical purchase.  $850 eating out will fluctuate from $500 - $1000 depending on where I'm at and time of year.  I looked at the US Bank cash+ card, and think I could manage using 1 card for eating out and 1 for everything else.  I would forget to shower every other week if it wasn't on my calendar, so choosing the categories each quarter wouldn't be a big deal.  Does that seem like a reasonable setup with simplicity in mind?

rated:
Matrim33 said:   Quick note about my Fidelity Amex. I called today to tell them that I was going to make a big purchase and my last payment wasn't showing yet and I needed that available. The lady said she could make it available, but thought it would be better to try and raise my limit. I just got the card in April with a small AOR. That AOR hit my "okay credit" pretty hard so I wanted to wait on trying for limit increases.

The lady was really nice and I told her I didn't want any hard inquiries on my credit. She said basically they would ask some questions and do a soft pull. My limit was $7500, she asked what I wanted to go for, I said $12,500. She then asked about my income, my mortgage payment, and my wife's income. She noted that my payment history was perfect. After that she told me she didn't even have to run my credit, she would increase the limit to $12,500. I just went online and it's been raised!

I have been using the heck out of this card for my business (10k+ per month) and maybe that is what made the difference.

It was so weird, some banks are super picky about raising limits. I wasn't even wanting to raise the limit and she basically made me. Crazy morning.

If that happened to me, I would keep an eye on my credit reports. As far as I can tell, Fidelity always does a hard pull, even just for reallocating existing credit lines between two cards.

rated:
VetteVert said:   
bytem3 said:   

Thanks!

dataadmin said:   

This month was higher than normal due to a $3k TV purchase.  I replaced one that died, and that is not a typical purchase.  $850 eating out will fluctuate from $500 - $1000 depending on where I'm at and time of year.  I looked at the US Bank cash+ card, and think I could manage using 1 card for eating out and 1 for everything else.  I would forget to shower every other week if it wasn't on my calendar, so choosing the categories each quarter wouldn't be a big deal.  Does that seem like a reasonable setup with simplicity in mind?

Yeah, using the US Bank Cash+ Visa for 5% back on eating out (plus a $25 bonus for every $100 Cash Back that you redeem - limit once/year) and the FIA Amex for 2% back on everything else seems reasonable. I don't know what you do in your entertainment category, but the possible 5% Cash Back categories for the US Bank Cash+ Visa include Movie Theatres, so if that's your entertainment, you could do that (or buy discounted movie tickets elsewhere).

rated:
Sorry if this post deserves a thread of its own (I didn't see a way to create a new thread) or that this info belongs to the "new PenFed Visa Rewards card" thread (I think it's locked...I didn't see a "new post" button either)...

I wanted to redeem some points from my PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa card on www.penfedplatinumrewards.com and I saw the pre-paid visa category changed from the 1 rewards point equals $0.01 (i.e. 5000 points equal $50), to something like 1.22 points equal $0.01 (i.e. 6100 points equal $50).  Some other pre-paid visa options were 12000 points equal $100, 29600 points equal $250, or 59000 equal $500.

After calling PenFed rewards customer support and PenFed service center (I'll spare you the hour-long telephone conversations I had with them, since all the 1st tier support people did not know), I found out that PenFed is planning on changing the rewards redemption for pre-paid Visa cards on or after August 22.  It looks like the IT dept jumped-the-gun and updated their website early.  PenFed supervisors said that the website would show the old redemption values after few hours.  It's now currently fixed.  I don't know if other reward categories will change since I was only interested in redeeming my points for a pre-paid visa.

So if you are planning to redeem your PenFed Platinum Rewards points for a pre-paid Visa cards at the 1 point=$0.01 rate, do so now!

I mentioned to PenFed CS that they should have notified their card holders of the pending change to their redemption value system.  The CS agreed and said she would notify "management".
Given the situation, who knows if PenFed will officially implement the changes on August 22 or delay it.  I would recommend calling PenFed rewards center at 1-800-247-5626 if this affects you.

rated:
jwfatwallet said:   Sorry if this post deserves a thread of its own...

Penfed devalues points rewards  
Also noteworthy:  PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature Upgrade & Potential Reduction of 5% and 3% Gas/Grocery rebate categories  

rated:
Thanks Tulsastorm for the update.  My search for this info came up empty.  Sorry for the repeat.  
Interesting that the PenFed CS people didn't know about this upcoming change until they "talked to their supervisors".  Oh well.

rated:
I just got the Blue Cash Preferred. They gave me a credit line of $2000 and an APR of 16.99%. I called but they said they wouldn't budge for 60 days. This bothered me because I did my own App-o-Rama last week, getting a new NFCU card with a $17K line, and raising the credit limit $5K each on four other cards (to $20K for 3 and $15K for one). Any experience with BCP raising the credit line after 60 days?

rated:
Argyll said:   I just got the Blue Cash Preferred. They gave me a credit line of $2000 and an APR of 16.99%. I called but they said they wouldn't budge for 60 days. This bothered me because I did my own App-o-Rama last week, getting a new NFCU card with a $17K line, and raising the credit limit $5K each on four other cards (to $20K for 3 and $15K for one). Any experience with BCP raising the credit line after 60 days?
  Do you have other Amex cards? If you do, the $2k limit is their way of saying we like you, but we're not giving you any more credit. Also, has those new CLs hit your Experian report yet?

rated:
Question about the Amex Blue card (3% Cash Back on grocery). Does WalMart qualify as a grocery store? I have a BoFA card which gives 2% on groceries, and on that one, WalMart does qualify as a grocery store and I always 2% on the purchases I make there. Is that the case with Amex as well? Thanks!

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
Argyll said:   I just got the Blue Cash Preferred. They gave me a credit line of $2000 and an APR of 16.99%. I called but they said they wouldn't budge for 60 days. This bothered me because I did my own App-o-Rama last week, getting a new NFCU card with a $17K line, and raising the credit limit $5K each on four other cards (to $20K for 3 and $15K for one). Any experience with BCP raising the credit line after 60 days?
  Do you have other Amex cards? If you do, the $2k limit is their way of saying we like you, but we're not giving you any more credit. Also, has those new CLs hit your Experian report yet?

This is my first AMEX card.  I'm nearly certain none of the new CLs are on the Experian yet.  I wanted a higher credit line because I usually put all my spending on one card  (I keep others active by using them once every 6 months).

rated:
jgooner22 said:   Question about the Amex Blue card (3% Cash Back on grocery). Does WalMart qualify as a grocery store? I have a BoFA card which gives 2% on groceries, and on that one, WalMart does qualify as a grocery store and I always 2% on the purchases I make there. Is that the case with Amex as well? Thanks!
  No

rated:
Does anyone know of some current deals (or sites that list them) for a credit card with a nice initial bonus for Travel Miles (ideally with on Southwest Airlines but other might work) or points usable for travel expenses?

Would prefer a MasterCard or maybe VISA. We won't have a problem getting approved or spending X amount in the first few months. We mostly use UPromise cards with % back for college expenses. But Daughter plans several trips this year, so finding a current offer with a nice initial bonus in travel miles would be lovely.

I'm a total novice when it comes to credit cards and miles. Is there a common correlation in points and $$? For instant, on CashBack, it seems that each point basically equals a penney. (We don't actively use that but have it on one lesser card.)

Any tips at all on credit card rewards towards travel would be helpful, especially a current promotion.

Thanks!

rated:
JxxB said:   Does anyone know of some current deals (or sites that list them) for a credit card with a nice initial bonus for Travel Miles (ideally with on Southwest Airlines but other might work) or points usable for travel expenses?

Would prefer a MasterCard or maybe VISA. We won't have a problem getting approved or spending X amount in the first few months. We mostly use UPromise cards with % back for college expenses. But Daughter plans several trips this year, so finding a current offer with a nice initial bonus in travel miles would be lovely.

I'm a total novice when it comes to credit cards and miles. Is there a common correlation in points and $$? For instant, on CashBack, it seems that each point basically equals a penney. (We don't actively use that but have it on one lesser card.)

Any tips at all on credit card rewards towards travel would be helpful, especially a current promotion.

Thanks!

"2.   Southwest 50,000 PointsThanks to the readers for writing in about a targeted offer for 50,000 Southwest points after spending $2,000 within 3 months.  This is much better than the current offer of 25,000 points after spending $1,000 within 3 months.Unfortunately, the emails were targeted and you need an invitation code to apply, but keep an eye out for them in your email.You can sign-up for Southwest email offers  and you just may get an offer via email."

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/08/19/virgin-atlantic-25000/#... 

rated:
Argyll said:   
stanolshefski said:   

This is my first AMEX card.  I'm nearly certain none of the new CLs are on the Experian yet.  I wanted a higher credit line because I usually put all my spending on one card  (I keep others active by using them once every 6 months).

AMEX's  61 days 3x CLI for newly opened account is well known. After that, 6 months and this 6 months is across all of your AMEX CCs (dunno about if this 6-month 3x CLI includes business ones)

rated:
Vagrants - 
Thanks! I found a similar offer (in the forums) from several months ago. The one in the forums isn't available now but good to know there might be some current ones out there!

rated:
vagrants said:   
jgooner22 said:   Question about the Amex Blue card (3% Cash Back on grocery). Does WalMart qualify as a grocery store? I have a BoFA card which gives 2% on groceries, and on that one, WalMart does qualify as a grocery store and I always 2% on the purchases I make there. Is that the case with Amex as well? Thanks!
  No

Damn, that's a bummer.

rated:
I reported earlier in the week that FIA (Fidelity Amex) raised my limit from $7500 to $12500 without pulling my credit. The lady I spoke to originally told me that they would do a "soft pull" but after asking some income type questions she told me that she would increase the limit without pulling my credit.

2 days later I get an email from Credit Karma saying I had a new hard pull on my credit report. I looked it up and it was a hard pull from FIA. I have done zero business with FIA other than with the Fidelity Amex. Any clue what's going on here?

On other news. Because of the increase to $12,500 on my Fidelity card I thought maybe I could get my $2k Amex Blue up a bit, nope. Denied. Credit is confusing.

rated:
The CSR was wrong, apparently. Try calling FIA to complain first, then if they don't help you can try writing to the right dept or dispute with the CRA(s). If they didn't get your permission to pull your credit, they're breaking the law, and you can sue.

rated:

They also gave me a very low $3200 limit. I have an 85k line on the fidelity amen so this was very disappointing.

Do they often raise the credit limit after 60 days or should I cancel the card before the yearly fee hits? I was hoping for 5k so I could get 5% off grocery/gift card bulk purchase and stack the bcp cards 6% .

rated:
capnkidd said:   

They also gave me a very low $3200 limit. I have an 85k line on the fidelity amen so this was very disappointing.

Do they often raise the credit limit after 60 days or should I cancel the card before the yearly fee hits? I was hoping for 5k so I could get 5% off grocery/gift card bulk purchase and stack the bcp cards 6% .

I signed up online and get a $150 bonus after spending at least $1000 in the first 3 months.  That pays two years' worth of fees.  If you signed up online you should get the same.

rated:
Matrim33 said:   I reported earlier in the week that FIA (Fidelity Amex) raised my limit from $7500 to $12500 without pulling my credit. The lady I spoke to originally told me that they would do a "soft pull" but after asking some income type questions she told me that she would increase the limit without pulling my credit.

2 days later I get an email from Credit Karma saying I had a new hard pull on my credit report. I looked it up and it was a hard pull from FIA. I have done zero business with FIA other than with the Fidelity Amex. Any clue what's going on here?

On other news. Because of the increase to $12,500 on my Fidelity card I thought maybe I could get my $2k Amex Blue up a bit, nope. Denied. Credit is confusing.

*points to bytem3's previous post:" http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/711457/m17930455/#m17925589

rated:
So what is a good rewards card similar to chase freedom?

I also want something for gas. That shell link is no longer working.

I spend money on gas and at restaurants, so im looking for the best rewards card for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rated:
saflow said:   So what is a good rewards card similar to chase freedom?

I also want something for gas. That shell link is no longer working.

I spend money on gas and at restaurants, so im looking for the best rewards card for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sallie mae or pendfed cards for gas. Sallie mae also gives 5% at grocery so you vcould buy shell gift cards at grocery
Citi forward for dining. 

If you're looking for one card for both- chase sapphire preferred. 2x UR at both

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 198 99 100101102111
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014