• filter:
  • 1102 103 104105106118
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
lydiachang said:   Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I saw that PenFed Platinum Rewards has raised the points required to redeem prepaid visa card.

A $50 card now requires 5,900 points and a $100 card now requires 11,800 points so it's no longer 1 point per dollar spent outside of gas and groceries.

I believe that happened in mid-August. It really hurts the value of this card in my opinion - I just applied for the Sallie Mae Mastercard which has better gas/groceries rewards (although they are capped pretty low).

rated:
People are so desperate of 5%. They used to say Sallie Mae 5x isn't worth it...even when the caps were 500/500/1000. All about low cap low cap low cap.

rated:
vagrants said:   People are so desperate of 5%. They used to say Sallie Mae 5x isn't worth it...even when the caps were 500/500/1000. All about low cap low cap low cap.
i think people just don't like the idea of caps. i honestly have a hard time hitting the Sallie Mae $250 cap on gas with 3 cars that are driven daily...

rated:
I just applied for the Fidelity Investment Rewards AMEX card (2%) and when I called to activate the card, I got the following offer:

You can get a loan for any amount (up to credit limit minus the 4% fee) deposited to your checking/savings account. Pay 0% until February 2015.

So this is a loan at 4% pretty much. You do have to make the minimum payments every month. But then it will render the card useless, which is not why I wanted it in the first place. I wanted it for the 2% on every purchase. So I guess, how can I make 6% without any risk if I were to take this offer? The days when a rewards checking account payed you 6% are gone. Plus my credit score would take a hit by having close to 100% utilization in this card. Any ideas?

rated:
One idea - dont do it.
4% transfer fee is high. There are many cards that offer 2-3%. Some that offer 0%.

rated:
My GF has never had a credit card, but she is open to getting one.

Easy card to get approved for with no annual fee?  I am thinking the Cap1 Journey card since it is supposed to be for students.  She has a full time job that pays well, just has no credit.

TIA

rated:
Citi Forward if she is a student.

Otherwise Chase Freedom.

rated:
Not a student, 32 y/o.  Just figured it would be easiest to get.

rated:
therivler1 said:   My GF has never had a credit card, but she is open to getting one.

Easy card to get approved for with no annual fee?  I am thinking the Cap1 Journey card since it is supposed to be for students.  She has a full time job that pays well, just has no credit.

TIA

Try CapitalOne Quicksilver (used to be Cash Reawards). It's a flat 1.5% back on everything, easy to use the website, Cash Back is actually cash, and you can customize the card image. This is what I encouraged my GF to get for her first card and she was accepted (32 y/o as well).

rated:
Can you get a Barclaycard Arrival for a business if you already have a personal card? I have the personal one and would like to get a business card if possible. Thanks.

rated:
I called Barclaycard to ask if I could sign-up my business for the exact card I already have (Barclaycard Arrival). The person I talked to was in the application department and really wanted me to sign up for anything. I asked her if I could sign up my business and she said no, I would have to sign-up for one of the business Barclaycards they have. But then she told me I could apply for the Arrival card again and get 2 of the exact same card with 2 separate accounts. Does that sound right?

She didn't seem very confident on what she was saying and tried to get me to apply 3 times after I told her upfront that I wasn't applying for anything today. Anyway, if I could get multiple Arrival accounts couldn't I just sign-up for a bunch of cards and get thousands in signing bonuses? Something doesn't add up.

rated:
RyeWhiskey said:   therivler1 said:   My GF has never had a credit card, but she is open to getting one.

TIA

Try CapitalOne Quicksilver (used to be Cash Reawards). It's a flat 1.5% back on everything, easy to use the website, Cash Back is actually cash, and you can customize the card image. This is what I encouraged my GF to get for her first card and she was accepted (32 y/o as well).

I second the Quicksilver. It's very straightforward.

rated:
Hi All,

I've had a Capital One card for 10 years and have been stuck on a $1000 credit limit for most of that time.  I always pay on time, but keep getting denied for increases.  Until last year I didn't have a stable income, but now I do.  I'm on my parent's credit card as an additional cardholder and they are carrying a high balance.

I'm currently spending $1k/mo. living in a hotel (for at least another month or two), which I can put on a credit card.

Any suggestions for cards I should apply to?

Thanks!

rated:
fw3534 said:   Hi All,

I've had a Capital One card for 10 years and have been stuck on a $1000 credit limit for most of that time.  I always pay on time, but keep getting denied for increases.  Until last year I didn't have a stable income, but now I do.  I'm on my parent's credit card as an additional cardholder and they are carrying a high balance.

I'm currently spending $1k/mo. living in a hotel (for at least another month or two), which I can put on a credit card.

Thanks!

IF your parents card is getting reported to your credit, the high balance may be hurting your credit. Is the CapOne card their card? Or just yours?

Assuming the CapOne is not your parents
step 1) remove yourself as an authorized user from their card.
Step 2) know your credit score
Assuming your credit score is fine:
Step 3) Get a new credit card.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a good choice as it gives 2.14x UR points at hotels. If you are cycling between Starwood and Hyatt properties, get teh SPG Biz AMEX (2x SPG pts at SPG properties and 5% off +1 SPG pt at most Hyatt propertiers). However, since you're spending 1k/month at hotels, that's like. . . .$40/night, so I doubt you're doing SPG or Hyatt. What hotel chain do you typically stay at?

rated:
imbatman said:   fw3534 said:   Hi All,

Thanks!

IF your parents card is getting reported to your credit, the high balance may be hurting your credit. Is the CapOne card their card? Or just yours?

Assuming the CapOne is not your parents
step 1) remove yourself as an authorized user from their card.
Step 2) know your credit score
Assuming your credit score is fine:
Step 3) Get a new credit card.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a good choice as it gives 2.14x UR points at hotels. If you are cycling between Starwood and Hyatt properties, get teh SPG Biz AMEX (2x SPG pts at SPG properties and 5% off +1 SPG pt at most Hyatt propertiers). However, since you're spending 1k/month at hotels, that's like. . . .$40/night, so I doubt you're doing SPG or Hyatt. What hotel chain do you typically stay at?

Thanks for the reply; I really appreciate it. I'm staying at Extended Stay America. The CapOne card is mine. They actually added me because I was having to pay my CapOne card multiple times per month to stay under my credit limit, so I've been putting the hotel bill on their card, then paying it with my funds (paid on time for my expenses). Unfortunately, it looks like this may be hurting me. My question now is: what's the best way to proceed? Based on the steps you gave, I guess I should get myself removed and switch the billing back to my card for now, with having to make payments to the card multiple times a month. Then, once it shows up that I'm not on their card, *then* apply? Any idea what sort of time period I generally would need to wait after being removed as an authorized user? I'm guessing that applying now isn't the best of ideas?

Thanks.

rated:
I dunno. I've no experience with removing an AU card from my credit, so I don't know how long it takes.
First, you actually ought to make sure it shows up on your credit report or not.
IF it is, you could try writing letters to the CRAs saying it's incorrectly being reported on your credit (it's their credit, not yours). Either that, or you could have your AU card cancelled.

IF it's not even on your credit report right now, just apply for some other cards.

ExtendedStay doesn't have a co-branded card, so go for Chase Sapphire Preferred (if you want points) or Fido 2% AMEX (if you want CashBack).

rated:
Thanks for the reply; I really appreciate it. I'm staying at Extended Stay America. The CapOne card is mine. They actually added me because I was having to pay my CapOne card multiple times per month to stay under my credit limit, so I've been putting the hotel bill on their card, then paying it with my funds (paid on time for my expenses). Unfortunately, it looks like this may be hurting me. My question now is: what's the best way to proceed? Based on the steps you gave, I guess I should get myself removed and switch the billing back to my card for now, with having to make payments to the card multiple times a month. Then, once it shows up that I'm not on their card, *then* apply? Any idea what sort of time period I generally would need to wait after being removed as an authorized user? I'm guessing that applying now isn't the best of ideas?
Thanks.

Have you seen your credit report? You can get a free one from Credit Karma. They will also point out anything that is making your score low. You may have a lost bill out there that has gone to collection you don't even know about that's hurting your credit. I did. I paid it off and was able to get a few new cards and now my credit is doing well.

rated:
I'd like to know where you can stay in a hotel for $33 a day.

You can get free credit reports from all the bureaus by saying you were turned down for credit, which you were.

I recommend joining a credit union and getting a card through it.  It is almost unheard of to have a card that hasn't given you a CLI in ten years from a $1000 credit limit.

rated:
Is there an updated site that anyone is using to help decide which credit cards should be used for particular stores,restaurants,hotels,and flights to earn the highest % rewards or Cash Back?

rated:
Evreward.com

rated:
Argyll said:   I'd like to know where you can stay in a hotel for $33 a day.

You can get free credit reports from all the bureaus by saying you were turned down for credit, which you were.

I recommend joining a credit union and getting a card through it.  It is almost unheard of to have a card that hasn't given you a CLI in ten years from a $1000 credit limit.

There are probably lots of places that you could stay at for $33/day.  In reality, you probably really don't want to know about any of them.

rated:
Is there any cards with 0% interest rates and 0%  fees on balance transfers right now?

rated:
Upromise and discover

rated:
I got a mailed offer from Barclays mynflcard-- (which I already have)0% int thru 1/15 and 1% fee, which is the best out there I think. It might be worth it in the short run (Christmas)

rated:
BTW, I haven't used card since a 200.00 bonus I received last year.

rated:
barrytuneup said:   I got a mailed offer from Barclays mynflcard-- (which I already have)0% int thru 1/15 and 1% fee, which is the best out there I think. It might be worth it in the short run (Christmas)

Been getting that offer on US Air for a few months now. Barclays really wants some BT balances.

rated:
I received an offer from Fidelity today for a cash management account that comes with a free check card and a 2% Visa credit card. I always knew that had an AMEX 2% credit card, and 1.5% for first $15k followed by 2% Cash Back over $15k. But this fidelity offer is from Fidelity/PNC bank and Visa. But when I go on the web page, I am unable to find this 2% visa credit Cash Back deal.

Anyone else go this offer? I am not sure if the 2% is on expenses above $15k. Would appreciate some information. Thanks.

rated:
upnorth85 said:   I received an offer from Fidelity today for a cash management account that comes with a free check card and a 2% Visa credit card. I always knew that had an AMEX 2% credit card, and 1.5% for first $15k followed by 2% Cash Back over $15k. But this fidelity offer is from Fidelity/PNC bank and Visa. But when I go on the web page, I am unable to find this 2% visa credit Cash Back deal.

Anyone else go this offer? I am not sure if the 2% is on expenses above $15k. Would appreciate some information. Thanks.

I see this offer on the following page https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/visa-signature-card 
It looks like this is from FIA (not PNC).  

rated:
Thx. Don't think I was clear. I meant to ask about which credit cards I should use at brick and mortar stores. For example, if I am going to an A&P Grocery Store in a particular geographic location, is there a site that will say that Chase ____ card or US Bank ____ or AMEX ___ cards are the best to use and detail the amount of reward points/Cash Back expected from a purchase at that store? I realize that many stores have branded cards that often the best option for points back, but was looking for something similar to what is in the Quick Summary on a centralized and updated website

rated:
I am trying to build credit for my wife and now i think she has a good credit, want to take another card for her before I can close a secured credit card on her name, she has the Chase Freedom credit card. I like the benefits of CashBack etc on that card. What other card would be best suited for general Cash Back purposes on daily usage? Does opening discover card going to have same benefits as chase or is it good idea to get that one? Please share any other suggestions..

rated:
wolfy234 said:   I am trying to build credit for my wife and now i think she has a good credit, want to take another card for her before I can close a secured credit card on her name, she has the Chase Freedom credit card. I like the benefits of CashBack etc on that card. What other card would be best suited for general Cash Back purposes on daily usage? Does opening discover card going to have same benefits as chase or is it good idea to get that one? Please share any other suggestions..
  Go to the first page of this thread and look under "All-Purpose/Main Spending Card." Those are probably the cards your looking for regarding "general Cash Back on daily usage." Out of the cards listed, I prefer the Capital One Quicksilver: 1.5% back on everything with easy ability to redeem odd amounts. If by Discover you mean the Discover It Card, then you'd have to look at the reward quarters to see if they overlap. They may not and if this is the case then you could do well by pairing them.

EDIT: I just copied it for you.
First Page of this Thread said: All-Purpose/Main Spending Card

2% - Fidelity Investment Rewards American Express Card: - Earn 2% on everything. Rewards can be redeemed with minimum redemption of $50.($2500 spend). No annual fee. 1% Foreign currency surcharge. [link]
2% - Escape by Discover Card: - Earn 2 miles per $1 spent. Redeem $1 per 100 miles for travel or $1 per 100 miles for spending on Amazon.com. $60 annual fee but earn 1,000 bonus miles per month with any purchase for first 25 months (equivalent to $250 sign-up bonus). Primary car rental insurance. No foreign transaction fees and now usable on Diners Club merchant network.
1.5%-2% - Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature Card: - Earn 1.5% (first $15,000 annual spend, 2% thereafter) on everything. Rewards can be redeemed with minimum redemption of $50. No annual fee. 3% Foreign merchant use fee (regardless of currency used in transaction.)
1.5% BankAmericard Travel Rewards - 1.5% cash-back, No foreign transaction fees. $100 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months. Must redeem CashBack on "travel" expenses.
1.5% - Bank of America Privileges with Cash Rewards Must be in privileges program ($50k deposit BofA/Merrill Edge/MLPF&S) AND redeem rewards into BofA/ML/MLPF&S account to get 50% bonus, otherwise 1%. Amounts presume bonus. Gas 3%, Groceries 2% ($1,500 max per quarter). 3% foreign transaction fee. [link] No new customers resident in KS, MO, NV, SC and WA.
1.5% - Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card: - Flat 1.5% cash-back. No foreign transaction fees. $100 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months. [link]
1.5% - Northrop Grumman CU Cash Rebates - Flat 1.5%, deposited annually. No foreign transaction fees. Join through Southern California Historical Aviation Foundation. [link]
1.25% - Dollars Bank Valued Customer Visa - Maximum rebate in any calendar year is $500, distributed semi-annually in January and July. See business** card for no rebate cap version.
2.1% - BOA Privilege Travel Reward Card. There is a $75 annual fee, waived first year or if you are in their Privilege Program ($50,000 in total assets between BOA and Merril Edge). No working link for card.
1-5% - Priceline Rewards Visa - 2% CashBack on everything. 5% when you name your own price on Priceline.com. $25/2500 point minimum to redeem points for statement credit. No annual fee. [link] [FW thread] 2% DEAD for new customers. now 1% Cash Back, 5% Priceline NYOP
1.4% - Emigrant Direct - requires $10K balance at Emigrant Direct [link] DEAD for new customers Changed to Points on 07/2011
1%-1.5% - Navy Federal CashRewards - 1.0% Cash Back on all purchases for first $10,000 on all purchases, 1.5% thereafter.

rated:
RiskCalculated said:   Thx. Don't think I was clear. I meant to ask about which credit cards I should use at brick and mortar stores. For example, if I am going to an A&P Grocery Store in a particular geographic location, is there a site that will say that Chase ____ card or US Bank ____ or AMEX ___ cards are the best to use and detail the amount of reward points/Cash Back expected from a purchase at that store? I realize that many stores have branded cards that often the best option for points back, but was looking for something similar to what is in the Quick Summary on a centralized and updated website
  There are tons of apps out there for smartphones that will tell you what card you should use at what store in order to maximize CashBack.
In addition, the quicksummary does a good job of explaining which cards are good to use for various category bonuses. It doesn't have every card, but it lists most of them, and I'm not aware of a centralized website that has the information. It takes some work to maintain the list, so any website you goto will likely only list the cards that pay the site owner when you click through and apply. If I maintained a site like that I'd focus on the cards that gave me a kickback.

rated:
Added Swagbucks Visa to QS

Flat 1.25% CB or more if redeemed for GC.

Not especially interesting except for people who have been denied 1.5% or better CB cards.

rated:
united mileage plus explorer 50k $50 credit double miles $0 for 1st year.

rated:
How about that new capital one 1.5% flat CashBack card I just started seeing get advertised?

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/quicksilver-cash-rewards/ 

Looks pretty darn appealing for a general purpose card. Opinions welcome.

$100 bonus after $500 spent in 3 months.
Rewards don't expire, can be redeemed at any time.
I was going to get the Fidelity Visa, but this is looking better. 
Plus it has signature benefits.

rated:
It's in the QS and has its own thread. What opinions are you welcoming?

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   How about that new capital one 1.5% flat CashBack card I just started seeing get advertised?

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/quicksilver-cash-rewards/  

Looks pretty darn appealing for a general purpose card. Opinions welcome.

$100 bonus after $500 spent in 3 months.
Rewards don't expire, can be redeemed at any time.
I was going to get the Fidelity Visa, but this is looking better. 
Plus it has signature benefits.

Important to add the 0% Foreign Transaction fees. This is the credit card I am currently recommending to people. Only negative I can think of is that some people have reported issues with Customer Service for Capital One but I don't have any personal experience.

rated:
I'm newly married and my wife and I are looking to get our first joint credit card. We're both heavy Chase/Ultimate Rewards users but it turns out that Chase doesn't issue joint cards anymore.

With that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions? We live in a city so gas points are useless. Restaurants, groceries, transportation, Amazon, ROTC are our main purchases.

We both have great credit, 730+. Do you guys have any recommendations for cards? Thanks.

rated:
MoogLiberation said:   I'm newly married and my wife and I are looking to get our first joint credit card. We're both heavy Chase/Ultimate Rewards users but it turns out that Chase doesn't issue joint cards anymore.

With that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions? We live in a city so gas points are useless. Restaurants, groceries, transportation, Amazon, ROTC are our main purchases.

We both have great credit, 730+. Do you guys have any recommendations for cards? Thanks.

You should get your own cards (don't do a joint credit card, that's silly).
2x the signup bonus when you each get your own Chase Sapphire Preferred card. 2.14 UR (with the annual bonus) on restaurants and transportation.

rated:
imbatman said:   MoogLiberation said:   I'm newly married and my wife and I are looking to get our first joint credit card. We're both heavy Chase/Ultimate Rewards users but it turns out that Chase doesn't issue joint cards anymore.

You should get your own cards (don't do a joint credit card, that's silly).
2x the signup bonus when you each get your own Chase Sapphire Preferred card. 2.14 UR (with the annual bonus) on restaurants and transportation.

It is silly but we just want one card for us to use for joint expenses like utilities and groceries. It's more of a psychological thing. Anyone have any recs? Thanks.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1102 103 104105106118
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014