• filter:
  • 1 2 345120
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
if you have no credit history, better check some local credit unions. They'll have secured cards with no charge. Only catch is, you need to open a savings account with them.

I opened my first credit card with co-operative services credit union (www.cscu.org) in michigan. $2(two dollar one time) for membership and $500 savings account got me my first secured VISA card. This is better than the Wells Fargo and BOA secured cards that charges $18 and $29 per year as fees. Also you get interest on your savings account.

rated:
thinwalletfatdreams said: OK, first post for me, so please be nice.
I've searched for this but can't seem to find. How about adding info on what credit score is needed to obtain each of these cards? Some of us are still working on building ours up.

Thanks for all the info and the help!

There are two secured credit cards listed under the "No Credit" header. As far as the rest of the cards go, I'm sure you'll find someone with "excellent" credit who got turned and someone with marginal credit who got approved. Besides that, very few people know their actual credit score at the time of approval.

I have triple report monitoring with three FAKOs and the WaMu PFICO score reporting to me and I couldn't tell you my "real" credit score within +/- 25 points to save my life.

rated:
Thanks, good points here. I should clarify that I have credit, I'm just in the process of repairing it after being stupid in college. I know there are cards out there that I can qualify for, but don't want to rack up unnecessary inquiries.

As far as the scores, I am in the process of buying a first house and have found that the My Fico site has been completely accurate in giving me the same scores as my mortgage brokers are getting. It's more expensive, but the accuracy is worth it.

I hate to do this, but if there's a thread somewhere for people like me trying to obtain credit cards as part of the repair process I haven't been able to find it, so I'd appreciate a point in the right direction if you know of one.

Thanks!

rated:
Oh, if anyone is willing to help me out directly, my FICO Equifax is 664, which is up 56 points in exactly two months. Was mid-500's 3rd Q 06. This is my mid-score but don't know exactly what the other two are at the moment as they are changing so quickly. Like I said, I made some dumb mistakes a few years ago.

rated:
I have the following credit cards:

Bank of America World Mastercard for Billpayment feature
Bank Of America American Express for low cost cash advance (1.90%)
Chase Visa Signature (0% Purchase RATE for 15 mth with REBATE program)
Chase Freedom Mastercard World 3%/1% rebate card (had Chase Visa Platinum where a promo rate ran out so I converted it)
HSBC Direct Rewards 5% CashBack tiered card (up to 5%)
Discover Card which I was going to cancel but they came back with a nice promo BT rate. Will try to cancel again and see if they come back with any offers, if not I will junk it since I never use it.
and another Chase Visa Platinum with a 0% promo rate on it for 15 mths......
American Express Clear
American Express Blue

Had a Citibank rewards card but they lowered the rebate and gave me a low credit limit and so I cancelled it out.

rated:
thinwalletfatdreams said: Oh, if anyone is willing to help me out directly, my FICO Equifax is 664, which is up 56 points in exactly two months. Was mid-500's 3rd Q 06. This is my mid-score but don't know exactly what the other two are at the moment as they are changing so quickly. Like I said, I made some dumb mistakes a few years ago.

If you already have credit cards, keeping the utilization low, never being late, etc should be enough. I had a 750 credit score using 1 credit card (pre-fwf days).

I'm sorry but I don't know how to help you. There are some Capital One cards that explicitly say "for damaged credit" but I don't know if they are worth the annual fee if you already have credit cards.

You could always ask your question in the credit score thread.

rated:
vytautasvaicys said: How about GM Card? It gives 5% cash savings towards a new car purchase. Although its a shame they only let you get $500 in annual savings.

This is exactly the point of this thread, I'm glad you brought it up. I hear people mentioning this card but as far as I know you can't apply for it by phone or online anymore.

If you can provide one of those, feel free to contribute to the quick summary.

rated:
ummm...what about the Chase PerfectCard? 3% gas 1% everywhere else...credits next statement

It's a basic card compared to what's available, but it's very convenient

oh yeah! The Costco/AMEX TrueEarnings card also has the 2% for travel related stuff...

(The UPS credit card also looks decent...)

rated:
I am a student looking for a new CC and the mtvU card looks appealing to me, however I went to the website and noticed it said 5 points per dollar spent at restaurants, bookstores, record stores, movie theaters and video rental stores. I are these 5 points equal to 5 cents? I looked at the Thank You network and the only thing I see in terms of getting a % back is redeeming thank you points for statement credits. And these are not good deals: $15 Statement Credit for 3,000 points. This means if I spend $600 on movies then I would get $15 back which is 2.5%. I am dumb and confused please help

rated:
I deleted the Orchard Bank 2% card from the wiki, because I don't think it's a good card for most people. See this fatwallet thread. Almost everyone who has applied for it (myself included) received a card with a ridiculously low credit limit and an annual fee. Some people lucked out and got a card with a $1500 limit and no annual fee, but they seemed to be in the minority. If someone wants to roll the dice, they can apply for this card, but I wouldn't put it on a list of "best credit cards available."

rated:
tellyawhut said: I am a student looking for a new CC and the mtvU card looks appealing to me, however I went to the website and noticed it said 5 points per dollar spent at restaurants, bookstores, record stores, movie theaters and video rental stores. I are these 5 points equal to 5 cents? I looked at the Thank You network and the only thing I see in terms of getting a % back is redeeming thank you points for statement credits. And these are not good deals: $15 Statement Credit for 3,000 points. This means if I spend $600 on movies then I would get $15 back which is 2.5%. I am dumb and confused please help

It's true that if you redeem your points for statement credits you only get 2.5% Cash Back. If you redeem them for gift cards or student loan rebates you get a full 5% Cash Back.

rated:
Is AMEX Cash Rebate card the ONLY 5% grocery card now??

My Citi Dividend is getting its 5% cut off in April and I need a replacement

rated:
Ok, this thread has made a decision for me. I got the invite for the HB 2% (same card right?) $0af, accept by 4/1. This is almost 7 months after an app spree (4 cards, 3 of which are now sitting at high utils). Future plans were another app spree in Sep to BT around expiring offers. Wasn't sure I could pass this up, but now thinking I indeed can, yikes. Have Chase 5%/1%. Sounds like I too, should live with that or get an EmigrantDirect card and call it good.

EDIT: Arrgh, make "this thread" the thread linked in the summary of this thread to the HSBC/HB 2% card. I am surely some kind of moron as I have replied in the wrong open tab for the second time in three weeks.

rated:
Great thread ScootyPuffSr!

Just wanted to bump this back to the first page.

rated:
Great compilation. I don't suppose everyone gets a card for so and so category, otherwise rewards would be split up everywhere.

For example might as well just use Chase Freedom for gas, restaurant, groceries or do some of you just use Discover gas for gas and Chase Freedom for restaurant,groceries.
I suppose depending on annual usage might be better of using 1 card for everything or splitting things up.

rated:
Diners Club is unique among non-business cards in offering primary CDW on car rentals. Definitely a good choice for frequent car renters.

rated:
looking for card for 16 year old which would be in his name but i could be responsible for if he didnt pay etc.

rated:
motsuka said: looking for card for 16 year old which would be in his name but i could be responsible for if he didnt pay etc.

pratically any credit card. you get it, add him as an authorized user.

rated:
Why not look into getting gift cards instead if this is for spending purposes? If it is for credit building, add the 16yo as AU but DO NOT give the teenager the actual credit card . Another option would be trying to open a checking account with a ATM/debit card, so purchases get charged directly to the account, and it's expensive to go over what's in the account.

motsuka said: looking for card for 16 year old which would be in his name but i could be responsible for if he didnt pay etc.

rated:
I'm not sure that's great idea anymore now that banks have taken to authorizing transactions over the balance and slamming each transaction with an NSF fee.

rated:
What does Telecom Services with the Citi Home Rebate Card mean? I know BellSouth local land line services would count, but does this include cell phone services? I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone on this yet.

Thanks,
Brett

rated:
I'd really like to take advantage of the Citi Home Rebate card for my cable bill (getting 2% back now w/Dividend), but I'm a renter. I've seen a few card offer sites that claim that you can get Cash Back if you don't have a mortgage yet, but the Citi website and the CSR I talked to seem to indicate that it is limited to people with mortgages. I suspect that Citi decided to restrict the program and the sites haven't been updated to reflect the change, but if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know. I may try calling Citi again and hope for a more knowledgeable CSR.

ETA: I called again -- this time the number for applying for the card, not the generic number I found on the website. I asked whether I could get a statement credit since I don't have a mortgage, and she said she believed that I could do that for the first year only. She put me on hold to confirm, which she did a moment later. Now the question is, do I take the CSR's word for it when I haven't found any info to back it up? I want to, but I'd hate to apply only to find out she was wrong.

rated:
Good thread, hope this stays updated as I am just now starting to look for a great rewards card.

rated:
Great thread!

We're missing a section on Pharmacy/Drug store cards though...

rated:
So the so called 'Capital One No Hassle' Rewards cards are not listed here. From what I gather there seems to be a cautionary feel on this forum about capital one.

I am in the market for a new card with excellent credit (780) history and all of my current cards do absolutely nothing for me. I'd like something with Cash Back and or miles. I am looking at:

Chase Freedom
Capital One No Hassle
Bank of America Rewards American Express Card
Bank of America World Points

Any input with these? Anything else that I should look at? Thanks!

rated:
SbstncT said: So the so called 'Capital One No Hassle' Rewards cards are not listed here. From what I gather there seems to be a cautionary feel on this forum about capital one.

In Quick Summary (as of 4/17/07 23:21 EST):
"1.25% Capital One: 1% ca$h back plus annual .25% bonus"

rated:
Thank you mods for making this a sticky!

rated:
daregan said: Thank you mods for making this a sticky!
Guess I have to get a larger monitor for FWF now. I have to scroll before I see any new threads now.

EDIT: Maybe Mods could remove the tax FAQ soon?

rated:
skiter53 said: Great thread!

We're missing a section on Pharmacy/Drug store cards though...

If anyone is aware of any that you can still apply for, I'd be glad to have that person add it to the quick summary.

Once again, I already have a card (two actually) that give 5% at pharmacies but doesn't do much good for me to tell you about it since you can't apply for it (Chase Plus and Chase Rewards).

Edit: Pharmacy category added, only Driver's Edge and Citi Dividend for now...

rated:
djspray said: daregan said: Thank you mods for making this a sticky!
Guess I have to get a larger monitor for FWF now. I have to scroll before I see any new threads now.

I don't like stickies taking up half my screen either. "Not Interested" button is a life saver. Even for threads I like I'll remove them and just revisit once in a while.

rated:
Anyone have any feedback on the Fidelity World Points card?

I'm going to add it to my AOR next week as 1.5% back on everything seems like a deal.

I already use Citi Dividend for 2% on Drugstore (i buy gas at costco) and Costco TrueEarnings for travel and eating out.

[edit: I already have a Fido account]

rated:
Well we all have our sticky preferences, personally I don't see why the CD thread and the APY thread aren't mixed into one, and I don't give a rats butt about the property thread since it's very location specific. But this thread gets referenced a lot and has a high rating so I feel it should be a sticky.

rated:
djspray said: daregan said: Thank you mods for making this a sticky!

That is Hot Deals, not Finance.

rated:
FYI you will not get 5% back using AMEX simplycash getting Costco gas.

rated:
SbstncT said: So the so called 'Capital One No Hassle' Rewards cards are not listed here. From what I gather there seems to be a cautionary feel on this forum about capital one.

I am in the market for a new card with excellent credit (780) history and all of my current cards do absolutely nothing for me. I'd like something with Cash Back and or miles. I am looking at:

Chase Freedom
Capital One No Hassle
Bank of America Rewards American Express Card
Bank of America World Points

Any input with these? Anything else that I should look at? Thanks!

I gave up my Capital One CC -- I'm not too fond of their custom service and online service. I signed up with AMEX (Costco Card) last December and it has become one of my favorite cards. 3% Cash Back on food, 2% on travel, 1% everything else. Customer service, online service are excellent. Dispute center is tops. If only there were as widespread as MasterCard/VISA that would make me give them a 5/5.

I'm looking at the Chase Freedom/Chase Professional Cash Back 'coz Chase has been offering me this almost every other week, and my current Chase MC CC does nothing for me except have a high credit limit.

I'm not a fan of mileage/points rewards cards simply because I don't use any of those rewards as much. Cash Back is always better for me.

rated:
@ Gin

Thanks for the input.

Im rethinking if its the best time to get a new card. I just finished school and start my new job on July 1st. So on the app if I fill it out as a student I will not likely be approved for the nicer non-student cards. If I fill it out as if I were in my new Job its like: Length of employment 1 month.

Is this bad to do?

rated:
There are no threads I can find about the AMEX Clear card. Any experiences with this card? It's difficult to tell whether the 0% apr promo rate applies to just purchases or BT also.

rated:
mase said: There are no threads I can find about the AMEX Clear card. Any experiences with this card? It's difficult to tell whether the 0% apr promo rate applies to just purchases or BT also.

My clear came with a low APR of like 3.9% for 12-15 months IF you BT in the 1st 20 days. I did not and they hit me with 16%. Total BS if you ask me, but what can you do? So I did a BT to get rid of it.

rated:
Any reason the AMEX Nest and Knot cards don't get any love? 10,000 point bonus when you hit $15,000 in spending seems kind of hot. Isn't getting 1.67 points a dollar pretty much the best deal on non gas/grocery/Drugstore purchases if you do $15000 of those kinds of purchases a year?

rated:
mattun said: Any reason the AMEX Nest and Knot cards don't get any love? 10,000 point bonus when you hit $15,000 in spending seems kind of hot. Isn't getting 1.67 points a dollar pretty much the best deal on non gas/grocery/Drugstore purchases if you do $15000 of those kinds of purchases a year?

My two cents on the topic...

1) There are 2% cards by invitation so anyone who could get those probably won't consider this.
2) For those not invited there pseudo-2% cards for those who either drive (Driver's Edge) or fly (Premier Pass). While they are not automatic 2%, if you meet certain drive/buy or fly/buy ratios you will get 2 points per dollar.
3) That 10,000 bonus is completely static. Therefore you will almost never 1.67 points/dollar. If you spend $14,999 then you get 1.0 points/dollar. If you spend $20,000 then you get 1.5 points/dollar. As you can see there is a very real risk of losing a considerable amount of rewards by not making the threshold. By going over the threshold you rapidly diminish your value.

Therefore the people interested in this would probably have to be....not invited to a better card, do not drive much, do not fly much, always spend over $15,000 a year but less than $20,000 (otherwise go for the less restrictive Fidelity 1.5% card).

I think that group is awfully darn small, not to mention that Am3x isn't as widely accepted as the MC/Visa options listed above.

As I have said before...I do not own the quick summary, if you can write up a concise one line description and you feel like those cards deserve a place, feel free to add them to the general category.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 2 345120
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014