• filter:
  • 12 3 45111
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I agree with most of your points which is why I pretty much only got the card for the sign up bonus. But I have to admit I was tempted to use it as a paired card with my Diamond Select (which I'm somehow grandfathered getting bonuses on gas/groceries/Drugstore). But it's a real gamble because if you can't hit $15000, you basically lose $100. But it might be pretty viable if you knew you had a couple of big ticket purchases or we buying and reselling on eBay and could come close to $15,000 in a few transactions and then revert to your normal spending. That said, I'm going to end up using the Fidelity College Fund card for the 1.5% and not worry about it. I was just curious why the card had no mention anywhere on the site, like I was missing some pratfall.

rated:
why are there no good Cash Back cards anymore?

rated:
SpacemanVT said: why are there no good Cash Back cards anymore?

5% Cash Back attracts a lot of non-revolvers would be my guess. In my opinion there is just no way to make up 5% Cash Back on merchant fees alone.

rated:
How do they verify that you're a student with the MTVu card? I assume there's no way to get this for a recent grad?

rated:
They don't. I applied for the mtvU card about a week ago. I graduated last May so I selected my alma mater and chose "Senior" as my class level. However, I wasn't instantly approved (which was weird, considering I applied for the Driver's Edge (non-student) card right after and was instantly approved) I had to call in 3 days later to find out I got the card. I didn't even use my .edu email address on the application.

rated:
Do we really want to have "Low APR" as one of the categories?

If so, there are lots of cards that get under the 10% of the Schwab card.

BofA AMEX, Worldpoints, Cash Rewards, sports-affiliated, and presumably other cards have a 7.9% APR for their highest tiers.

Pulaski Bank also has a 7.99% APR card (with an annual fee)

rated:
markkundinger said: Do we really want to have "Low APR" as one of the categories?

Well this thread is what we as a community make it. If you are personally opposed to having that category I'd love to hear constructive reasoning as to why it should be removed.

If so, there are lots of cards that get under the 10% of the Schwab card.

Wondeful, someone wrote me and asked for low rate non promo cards. This is my best one personally and I didn't have the time to scour the web for others.

BofA AMEX, Worldpoints, Cash Rewards, sports-affiliated, and presumably other cards have a 7.9% APR for their highest tiers.

Pulaski Bank also has a 7.99% APR card (with an annual fee)

Good work Mark, would you mind adding them to the quick summary?

rated:
Just for interesting discussion...
If you could only have one card, and one card only, which would you choose, and why?

rated:
alchemize said: Just for interesting discussion...
If you could only have one card, and one card only, which would you choose, and why?

Oprah Winfrey's card. She has a high limit.

rated:

Chase Rewards Plus which is not available but still active. For available cards, I'd have to say the Freedom card would give me a higher average then any general purpose card. If I drove more, it would be Driver's Edge.

rated:

The Fidelity Visa Signature card. 1.5% CashBack for everything. (Since it's the only card, this assumes that you're not going to BT and max it out, or use different cards to pick different Cash Back rates)

rated:
Citi Professional Card has 3% reward policy at certain office supply merchants. Does anybody know the list of qualified stores? Thanks.

rated:
5% Cash Back for gas w/Costco TrueEarnings AMEX business card!?!

In the May Costco Connection (see page 82), there is an ad announcing a new built-in benefit for TrueEarnings business cardmembers -- 5% off gas at Costco and standalone stations except for gas purchased at warehouse clubs other than Costco. This is in addition to the 3% for dining out, 2% for traveling, and 1% for everywhere else including Costco. Anyone know about this? It's not showing up in the description of the card on the Costco site yet. When I click the button to apply, I see a limited time offer for 5% for gas from Dec 2006 through April 2007 only -- the new benefit isn't listed yet. When I was at Costco last week, they had a table set up for a card, but I'm not sure which one it was (I pretty much just ignored it). Makes me wonder whether they are giving out bonuses for signing up.

The number given in the ad is (800) 816-1042 if anyone wants to call and check it out. I'm planning to call later today, after lunch. I will post an update if no one else has posted anything by then.

ETA: So I called, and the CSR didn't know anything about the new gas rebate so she gave another number to call. Called that number and that CSR was also unaware of the new benefit so she put me on hold. That's when I gave up. I have a feeling that they just don't have the info on the new benefit yet -- either online or at their call centers. The magazine has a May publication date, so I may try again in a few days. The main advantage I see with the TrueEarnings over other 5% gas cards is that Costco gas counts toward the rebate. (It doesn't count as a gas purchase for my AMEX Blue Cash; I'm not sure about other cards.) The 3% for restaurants is nice too.

ETA: There is now a separate thread about this topic here.

rated:
Added Am.Ex Blue Cash to Drugstore and Gas categories.

rated:
lhendricks92 said: Added Am.Ex Blue Cash to Drugstore and Gas categories.

It was already in the gas category, I deleted the duplicate.

Also, please try to stick with the "low to high" format that has taken form on the list.

rated:
i use the AMEX truereward for dining, traveling, and basically all of my purchases (not including the following). shell mc for gas, and the citi dividends for household utilities (power, water, satellite, cablemodem, etc).

not sure if that's a good way to split the bills...

trying to maximize the CashBack since i pay in full monthly on everything. let me know if there are better cards for any of the above.

- also got the bofa pga card recently, but that's just so i can get the dozen titleist golf balls.

rated:
Does anyone know if the Miles by Discover Card (or Gas/Open Road card) still has $0 balance transfer fees if you do the balance transfer at the time of the online application? I cannot find this information anywhere and a quick online chat with the customer service rep revealed that ALL Discover Cards currently have a 3% balance transfer fee. Please prove me wrong. Thanks!

https://discovercardapplication.com/terms.aspx?type=miles&ttype=&tid=

rated:
I have a funny question, and I don't think it warrants a new thread: what card do I want to get my foot in the door with Citi? I applied for their Mastercard with the 5x TY points for groceries etc etc, and was denied (it looked like a pretty nice card), and I've been denied for Citi cards in the past. What card is their easiest to get? I'm not a student, and my credit scores are decent (675-700 from all three).

rated:
Diablo, YMMV but my first Citi card was their Upromise one. It was a while ago though, 6yrs.

rated:
Ahh, I am not a parent either. The Upromise card is kind of... um... worthless for me, even if it would be easy to get.

rated:
DiabloD3 said: Ahh, I am not a parent either. The Upromise card is kind of... um... worthless for me, even if it would be easy to get.
Get it, call in and convert it.

rated:
I didn't think of that. How easy is it to convert cards?

rated:
Upromise is probably not their easiest card to get. I'd think their plain no reward card would be easiest, or you could just call'em and ask.

rated:
I'm interested in the zero Forex cards for use overseas. Problem is I can't confirm any of them. For exampple, I can't find any link to "wells fargo signature" on their site. And the BMW card says nothing about forex in their disclosures...

rated:
DiabloD3 said: I have a funny question, and I don't think it warrants a new thread: what card do I want to get my foot in the door with Citi? I applied for their Mastercard with the 5x TY points for groceries etc etc, and was denied (it looked like a pretty nice card), and I've been denied for Citi cards in the past. What card is their easiest to get? I'm not a student, and my credit scores are decent (675-700 from all three).

I happened across this site today. It sorts cards by all kinds of variables, including recommended FICO score, issuer, etc. Might help you decide.

rated:
That is possibly the most useful resource I've ever found via FWF. Ever.

This Fall: Diablo's AOR! Mwaahahahaaaa!

rated:
So for use on purchases (tuition) other than gas, groceries, or drug store my best best on gaining the most rewards would be Fidelity Visa Signature card?

rated:
Do category specific rewards cards work in foreign countries (are the merchant codes the same)? ie If I use a 5% gas card to buy gas in Europe, will I get 5% back?

rated:
sfchris said: I'm interested in the zero Forex cards for use overseas. Problem is I can't confirm any of them. For exampple, I can't find any link to "wells fargo signature" on their site. And the BMW card says nothing about forex in their disclosures...
I have found this wiki immensely helpful. I recommend the State Farm Bank cards(1% overall fee), as they often have given large(15k+) CL's and give either 1% Cash Back(Platinum Rewards; negates fee) or include a 9 month, 0% no-fee BT(Good Neighbor). Heck, their ATM cards even refund your ATM fees.

rated:
djspray said: sfchris said: I'm interested in the zero Forex cards for use overseas. Problem is I can't confirm any of them. For exampple, I can't find any link to "wells fargo signature" on their site. And the BMW card says nothing about forex in their disclosures...
I have found this wiki immensely helpful. I recommend the State Farm Bank cards(1% overall fee), as they often have given large(15k+) CL's and give either 1% Cash Back(Platinum Rewards; negates fee) or include a 9 month, 0% no-fee BT(Good Neighbor). Heck, their ATM cards even refund your ATM fees.

I used the same site before my month long trip last year. I decided on CapOne for the 0% fees. Worked great for me.

rated:
DiabloD3 said: That is possibly the most useful resource I've ever found via FWF. Ever.

This Fall: Diablo's AOR! Mwaahahahaaaa!

this card should be pretty much right up your alley then.

rated:
Dear Blizzard Fan Number 507: My nick is not related to Blizzard Entertainment or their crappy Nethack clone, my nick predates the formation of Blizzard Entertainment by at least a year.

rated:
Madscribe.....

That is a great site
Thanks

rated:
anyone look into the AMEX mastercard yet?
also of note, citi is changing all their cards to worldpoints, it seems.

rated:
AMEX Mastercard? What? That made no sense.

rated:
Does anyone know any cards that give you reward points for balance transfers and not just only points for purchases? thanks

rated:
Uefa said: Does anyone know any cards that give you reward points for balance transfers and not just only points for purchases? thanks
Barclays/Juniper Frontier Airlines card. I got 15K miles for a 0%BT. Made $1200 in interest arbitrage and a free ticket that I just used that would have cost $500. They never even charged me the annual fee.
They do other airlines too, but YMMV.

rated:
aeneas3 said: anyone look into the AMEX mastercard yet?

No I haven't. If you could find more information about it please let me know. I'm also interested in the AMEX Visa

rated:
ratedar said: aeneas3 said: anyone look into the AMEX mastercard yet?

No I haven't. If you could find more information about it please let me know. I'm also interested in the AMEX Visa

Am.Ex Visa is for chumps. I want Am.Ex Discover. I heard it is now accepted at well over 5% of all merchants.

rated:
I'll try asking here first so as to not start a repeat thread.

I've had 1 CC for 7 years now, citi finally sent me notice that it was being discontinued. The replacement they sent me is a Diamond Preferred Rewards AMEX card.

Link here

My main question is with this card can I get the AMEX warranty extensions that a lot of fatwalleter's talk about? I also now have to look for a second card since I know AMEX isn't accepted everywhere. So I was hoping for some help finding a visa or mastercard as there are a lot of cards out there. With what little I know of the CC rewards here are some things that might narrow it down.

* I don't drive or fly a lot
* I buy at least 40% of my purchases online
* The rest is usually food / gas / healthclub/NetFlix subscriptions
* I pay off my bill every month so low interest rates are not a big seller

I was thinking a general rewards card with Cash Back would be nice, however it looks like this AMEX gives me Thankyou points which lead to gift cards or something. In the next couple years I'd love to go to Japan and Europe, so maybe a flight miles card for an airline that travels to those 2 places would be a good idea.

Any help would be appreciated; as I'm a little overwhelmed since this dropped on me 3 days ago.

Thanks - John

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 12 3 45111
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014