• filter:
  • 14 5 678111
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
How about cards that offer complimentary FICO scores? I recall that Providian cards provide a complimentary credit score each month. Consider the amount that costs as far as a credit protector service and/or individual paid inquiries. I would say that cards that allow free monthly credit scores to be of "fringe benefit". Your thoughts, ppl?

rated:
s/Providian/WaMu/g;

rated:
Hi,

I was looking to apply for Am.Ex SimplyCashSM Business Card.

It says that 5% on office supplies, with bunch of restrictions. I was wondering if purchases from Staples / OD and OMAX which are office supply store count towards this or there are any gotchas around this?

thx.

rated:
Scores are Fako's and generally they are about a month behind. You can't pull them daily like a protection service. Saying that, for most, it is a nice convenience to give you an idea of where your credit score sits.
sorrento121 said: How about cards that offer complimentary FICO scores? I recall that Providian cards provide a complimentary credit score each month. Consider the amount that costs as far as a credit protector service and/or individual paid inquiries. I would say that cards that allow free monthly credit scores to be of "fringe benefit". Your thoughts, ppl?

rated:
DickWhitcomb said: FIA co-branded cards have been very good to me. Besides Chuck Schwab, Fidelity, and Merrill Lynch, does anyone know of any others?

mbna.com and bankofamerica.com didn't even list the three I already have. Is there a list somewhere?

Here's a list I found with google. List of FIA issued cards

Any idea if they can be used as a funding source for billpay?

rated:
mhesidence said: DickWhitcomb said: FIA co-branded cards have been very good to me. Besides Chuck Schwab, Fidelity, and Merrill Lynch, does anyone know of any others?

mbna.com and bankofamerica.com didn't even list the three I already have. Is there a list somewhere?

Any idea if they can be used as a funding source for billpay?

Thank for the list. It may say FIA but those are BoA cards. I very much doubt BoA cards with Bank of America on the card itself would have you log into the FIA website.

Those are the type of cards I'm looking to receive. Ibsnetaccess.com based cards.

rated:
I just moved into a new apartment that will accept Visa or Mastercard for rent payments (no fee).

Any suggestions on which card I should get? All utilities are included in the rent...any chance the charge would qualify as a utility?

rated:
makeinu said: I just moved into a new apartment that will accept Visa or Mastercard for rent payments (no fee).

Any suggestions on which card I should get? All utilities are included in the rent...any chance the charge would qualify as a utility?

I would just go with your highest general purpose card (Fidelity 1.5% if you don't have anything over 1%). I very much doubt the landlord has a "utility" or "telecon" merchant account ID. If you already have the cards, I suppose you could rotate through all your cards trying.

Or you could do a general purpose one the first month, get your statement, then call up the CC company and ask how that item on your bill was labeled.

rated:
ScootyPuffSr said:
I would just go with your highest general purpose card (Fidelity 1.5% if you don't have anything over 1%). I very much doubt the landlord has a "utility" or "telecon" merchant account ID. If you already have the cards, I suppose you could rotate through all your cards trying.

Or you could do a general purpose one the first month, get your statement, then call up the CC company and ask how that item on your bill was labeled.

Yeah I already put the first month on my RBS card (crossing my fingers for 3% in the "Utilities and Associations" category). If things don't work out with the RBS card then I guess I'll start using my 2% Fidelity card, but I'd also like to take advantage of the float and I'm already using that card to float other balances.

Is there any difference in the way "utilities" are defined among the various utility cards?

rated:
Warder4545 said: joelmeu said:
Depending on your spending profile, you can probably do much better than that card for rewards. (e.g. Am-Ex Blue Cash, Citi Driver's Edge, etc.)

Well, the answer depends on how much of "food" is on restaurants versus grocery stores versus "discount" stores that sell groceries but don't qualify as "grocery" merchants (e.g. Sam's Club, Meijer, Wal mart, etc.). It also depends on how much you spend on gas since you mentioned you don't drive a lot.

The easiest way to see which rewards credit card will pay you the most is probably to just plug your spending profile into this rewards calculator:
Best Rewards Credit Card Calculator

You'll likely want to consider Am-Ex Blue Cash (as a replacement for your other Am-Ex), Citi Driver's Edge MasterCard, Citi Professional, Fidelity Investment Rewards Signature Visa, and Chase Freedom, to name a few.

Thanks for the info.

After looking at a CC review site it seems like all the top rated cards with the best rewards are business cards. Since I have a small business would it make more since to just get a Am-EX and Mastercard/visa that are for business? or is having a personal CC good for some situations (ie purchases have to be business related on the business cards)?

If I do a combo I was looking at getting the Am-EX Blue for Business for good rewards and then some Mastercard/Visa with other benefits. I was looking at the Bank of America World MasterCard with WorldPoints (or the Platinum plus one, not sure the difference). I'm open to others that may not have the best rewards but good perks.

Thanks again.

I'd say go all for Business termed cards. I personally like Cash Back rewards and two AMEX to look at are Simply Cash Card and the ]True Earnings Card. I have "business cards" that are solely personal use cards and it works very well. The only reason I don't have the AMEX ones are that they require usually the business TIN or supporting documentation to be approved. Also, many business cards have no annual cap on rewards which is a great thing for someone like yourself. Just from my own recommendation (what I would do) is get the AMEX SimplyCash, since that rewards program is pretty much unique to itself, then get a Chase Business or Citi Business with the 3% Dining rewards on it.</blockquote>

rated:
Anyone have a link to apply for the WaMu card that gives free credit reports?

Thanks in advance!

rated:
Beware of HSBC Cash Back credit card. It has a balance transfer hidden fee!!

rated:
Borodeva said: Anyone have a link to apply for the WaMu card that gives free credit reports?

Thanks in advance!

wamu.com (then click on credit cards)

there is only one card

rated:
mhesidence said: DickWhitcomb said: FIA co-branded cards have been very good to me. Besides Chuck Schwab, Fidelity, and Merrill Lynch, does anyone know of any others?

I checked out some of the terms on the FIA issued cards in the link above. Most of them have a 3% BT fee with no cap.

However, The Effectiva Platinum Visa, has what looks like a NO FEE 0% BT for 6 months, NO FEE 0% CASH ADVANCES for 6 months and 0% PURCHASE APR for 6 months.</blockquote></blockquote>

rated:
ScootyPuffSr said: Borodeva said: Anyone have a link to apply for the WaMu card that gives free credit reports?

Thanks in advance!

wamu.com (then click on credit cards)

there is only one card

Thanks, Scooty! I got it!

rated:
DickWhitcomb said: FIA co-branded cards have been very good to me. Besides Chuck Schwab, Fidelity, and Merrill Lynch, does anyone know of any others?

From an expert (probably works for MBNA) on cardratings

Any partnership agreement that stipulates that BOA can't use its own name (called a transparent relationship) is administered on www.ibsnetaccess.com or that site's newer address www.fiacardservices.com (same site just the newer different address for it).

Included:
Regions Bank
Red Rocks FCU
Netbank
Amtrust Bank
Harris Bankcorp
Rutgers Alumni Association (don't ask)
Philadelphia FCU
Bank of Hawaii
Fidelity
Schwab
Merrill
GMAC Mortgage
Ditech.com
Manufacturers & Traders Bank (M&T)
Prudential Financial
Edward Jones
Arrowhead CU
Old National Bank of Evansville
Columbia Credit Union
Alliance Credit Union
Sovereign Bank
Apple Bank For Savings
Greater Nevada FCU
Texans FCU
Huntington National Bank
AEA FCU
Franklin Mint FCU
Bay Gulf CU

These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. There are hundreds of smaller local and regional banks and FCU's that BOA handles off the fiacardservices.com site as well... it would be futile and pointless to try to name them all. Keep in mind you would also access any former transparent partner accounts on fiacardservices.com as well. So that would include Wachovia, PNC, Desert Schools FCU, US Bank, etc.

rated:
I would avoid the State Farm CC. SFCC offers 1% Foreign Exchange.

I applied with a WAMU PFICO of 841 and was denied. The letter stated "enough available credit".

I never heard that before so I called for more info. SF stated they wanted people who would make SF their primary card and I had credit cards with much higher limits, better interest rates, and rebates than SF could offer.

I am not a SF insurance customer.

rated:
I have an old American Express Costco Business card (circa 2000) that use to have price protection (my main reason for getting it). It's been some time since this feature is no longer available. I don't think there's any advantage of keeping this card over what's currently available from American Express Costco (i.e. TruEarnings for Biz).

So should I continue to keep this old, not-available-anymore AMEX Costco card or should I switch to a TruEarnings for Biz card? I like the idea of getting 5% gas back from Costco gas stations.

Can I call AMEX to switch my card from Costco Biz to TruEarnings Biz with no hard credit report pull? Oh, I already have a personal TruEarnings card (but no 5% gas rebate from Costco) and other 5% gas rebate cards.

Thanks!

rated:
Does Advanta business not pay 5% anymore on utilities??

This Link says it still does.

rated:
TheWalL said: Does Advanta business not pay 5% anymore on utilities??

This Link says it still does.

Your own link says this:

Cash Back rewards are earned based on your annual level of Net Purchases, excluding purchases in the Bonus categories, as follows: .25% on up to $3,000 in purchases; .50% on purchases between $3,000.01 and $5,000; .75% on purchases between $5,000.01 and $15,000; and 1% on purchases in excess of $15,000.

Cash Back rewards are also earned on the Bonus categories of "gasoline and diesel fuel," "computers, computer supplies, electronics and office supplies,” "online advertising services," and "utilities and telecommunications." Cash Back rewards on Bonus category qualifying purchases are earned as follows: 5% on up to $1,200 in purchases; 1% on purchases in excess of $1,200.

rated:
What is not clear is whether its 1200 per year or per month.

rated:
Since it mentions "annual net purchases" earlier, I would assume it is per annum.

rated:
I applied American Express true earning business card. Unlimited cash reward on 5% gas, 3% on restaurants, 2% travel 1% everywhere else. I am not a business owner but, they approved me anyway. Are there any disadvantages if I am not a business owner?

http://www201.AmericanExpress.com/sbsapp/FMACServlet?request_type=Flash&page=opensavings&eep=20023

rated:
Question about balance transfers.

I want to move the balance of 3 cards to 1 new card to take advantage of a 0% APR on BTs. What happens if I don't get a limit high enough to cover all 3 of the balances on the new 0% BT card?? Will they just deny the app? Or just transfer up to the approved limit?

rated:
RockStar1o9 said: Question about balance transfers.

I want to move the balance of 3 cards to 1 new card to take advantage of a 0% APR on BTs. What happens if I don't get a limit high enough to cover all 3 of the balances on the new 0% BT card?? Will they just deny the app? Or just transfer up to the approved limit?

That last one you said.

rated:
Does anyone know an AMEX platinum that has no and\\or waived annual fee?
(I have been told that AMEX platinum is the only card that will cover carrental over 30 days...any others?)

rated:
What happens if I apply for a credit card and am not happy with the line of credit I recieve? Should I just cancel it? What effect does it have on your credit rating?

rated:
Please read what has been said in this thread before: YES! DO NOT CLOSE LINES OF CREDIT FOR ANY REASON, IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR CREDIT, CLOSING A LINE OF CREDIT DOESN'T DELETE THE HARD INQUIRIES ON YOUR FILE(S)!

rated:
Why no Citi® Diamond Preferred® Rewards Card? Better just to do driver's edge for the everyday purchases?

first twelve months that you are a cardmember, you will earn five ThankYou Points at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations which are defined as follows. Supermarkets are stand-alone merchants that primarily sell a complete line of food merchandise for home consumption. Drugstores are stand-alone merchants that primarily sell prescription and proprietary drugs and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines. Gas stations are stand-alone merchants that primarily sell vehicle fuel for consumer use.

can earn up to 75,000 ThankYou Points during any calendar year

rated:
DiabloD3 said: Please read what has been said in this thread before: YES! DO NOT CLOSE LINES OF CREDIT FOR ANY REASON, IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR CREDIT, CLOSING A LINE OF CREDIT DOESN'T DELETE THE HARD INQUIRIES ON YOUR FILE(S)!

Okay but then would it be fine to cancel it after the inquiries have come off the file after let's say six months/a year as long as I keep the oldest lines I have?

rated:
MikeC103 said: DiabloD3 said: Please read what has been said in this thread before: YES! DO NOT CLOSE LINES OF CREDIT FOR ANY REASON, IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR CREDIT, CLOSING A LINE OF CREDIT DOESN'T DELETE THE HARD INQUIRIES ON YOUR FILE(S)!

Okay but then would it be fine to cancel it after the inquiries have come off the file after let's say six months/a year as long as I keep the oldest lines I have?

Wrong thread. Read the first post here FAQ + discussion: GETTING, KEEPING high credit / FICO scores.. Post any follow up questions in that thread.

rated:
mhesidence said: Why no Citi® Diamond Preferred® Rewards Card?

Because you didn't put it in the quick summary.

I do not "edit" the quick summary to delete anything I did not put in it. I'm not in charge of the quick summary and to my knowledge I have not deleted anyone else's contribution to the quick summary other than a factual error stating that the Household 2% card has an annual fee (the Orchard card may have an annual fee but I have the Household and it does not).

In my opinion the more options the better. But please put it in the quick summary yourself.

Also if any one has any "low non-promo rate" cards please contribute. I'm sure we can do better than 10%.

rated:
Need some advice please....I recently opened my first AMEX card ...Blue Cash. CL is 20k and I owe about $8500.
I think that I would benefit more from having an AMEX SPG card. My fico is about 765.
What do you think is the best way of getting the SPG without hurting the FICO?
TIA

rated:
Hi,

I have a really really stupid question, so I apologize ahead of time - when a card has 0% APR for 6 months, does that mean I can charge upto the limit on the card and not pay anything at all for 6 months (without being charged interest or any fees)? Or does it mean that I have to keep paying the min but I don't have to pay interest on the balance? I checked out several of the cards listed here and can't really tell.

Thanks!

rated:
You still have to pay the minimum, but no interest.

rated:
thanks, D!

rated:
Ok, Another q for you guys: my husband charges a lot of work related travel stuff to his card (airfare, hotels, meals). Is there any card you know of that give more Cash Back for this kind of purchase? I know the Discover More sometimes gives 5% for hotels, but apart from that, I can't find anything else. Am I better off just going with a general purpose?
Also, with AMEX Blue Cash, do you have any problems finding retailers who accept it (I used to have an AMEX, but so few people in the US seemed to accept it then)

Thanks!

rated:
bajar22 said: Ok, Another q for you guys: my husband charges a lot of work related travel stuff to his card (airfare, hotels, meals). Is there any card you know of that give more Cash Back for this kind of purchase? I know the Discover More sometimes gives 5% for hotels, but apart from that, I can't find anything else. Am I better off just going with a general purpose?

Look in the Quick Summary under Travel

rated:
scoooter said: Need some advice please....I recently opened my first AMEX card ...Blue Cash. CL is 20k and I owe about $8500.
I think that I would benefit more from having an AMEX SPG card. My fico is about 765.
What do you think is the best way of getting the SPG without hurting the FICO?
TIA

Call AMEX and ask them to convert your card. However, you will probably lose all your points/cash first so be aware of that and cash out if you can first.

rated:
vistaluck said: I applied American Express true earning business card. Unlimited cash reward on 5% gas, 3% on restaurants, 2% travel 1% everywhere else. I am not a business owner but, they approved me anyway. Are there any disadvantages if I am not a business owner?

http://www201.AmericanExpress.com/sbsapp/FMACServlet?request_type=Flash&page=opensavings&eep=20023

No...but just make sure you know that the AMEX True Earnings Card has an annual fee, unless of course you are a Costco Member who pays the annual dues, upon which it is waived.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 14 5 678111
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014