• filter:
  • 141 42 434445115
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Argyll,
I got it. For credit cards, you only want cards from CUs. You can easily find cards with more than 1% rewards from other CUs. Good luck!

rated:
On another note, how many here put auto bill payments on a rewards credit card? i.e. phone, internet, insurance and any regular payment you make that allows credit card payment.

rated:
Argyll,
All card in QS are categorized by rewards, also, general consumer, student and small business.
Maybe you want to create a new Category - Rewards Cards from CU Only. Here are the cards I know have more than 1% C@shBack.
PenFed (5% gas, 2% grocery, 1% other)
Fort Knox (5% gas, 1.25% other)

rated:
craig10x said: Though i love CU's i would not generally want to get a card from them as they don't usually offer the best rewards programs and card features...they are best for those who tend to not be prudent about paying within the grace period, and pay out their bills over time...then they offer a great advantage over banks (usually) of a much lower interest rate...And they are probably a bit easier to get larger credit lines with, if you are a member in good standing and tend to use their services a lot and keep a good amount of money with them...

I keep a local CU card simply as a defensive credit measure. I only got one only when the major banks started reducing credit lines for seemingly arbitrary reasons with no real notice. I charge a lot of travel expenses (that I get reimbursed for) and felt that a CU card would be good to have as a backup card in case I discovered that Chase or AMEX sliced my limit when I was on the road trying to check into a hotel.

rated:
Since I have the Penfed Visa, Fidelity Visa, and Fidelity AMEX they denied me as having too much credit. Then, they said they may give me some credit if I fax in a copy of my social security card and state issued ID. Weird.

rated:
Why is Capital One No Hassle Cash Rewards not listed at the beginning of this thread? Something wrong with that card?

rated:
dieuwer said: Why is Capital One No Hassle Cash Rewards not listed at the beginning of this thread? Something wrong with that card?

OP said: Please help keep this list up to date and be aggressive to delete discontinued cards. If there isn't a link, phone #, or bank you can apply for this card today, it shouldn't go here.

This means that it is up to the community (meaning all of us including you) to edit the Quick summary list to keep it up to date by adding cards and deleting cards that are no longer available to new customers. Should you choose to add a card (or cards) to the quick summary, please post additional details in the thread.

There is no prohibition adding CU cards either, just make sure that the cards are available for everyone not just those who work in a certain zip code. Creating a new category in the quick summary to specifically list CU cards would be fine by me. Why spend time advocating for a card, and then not follow through by adding a link to the details in the quick summary list?

rated:
dieuwer said: Why is Capital One No Hassle Cash Rewards not listed at the beginning of this thread? Something wrong with that card?

I removed the card which offer 1.25% CashBack because I could not find the card on Capital One's website now. If you can find it, please add it with the active link.
In All-purpose category, I only kept the card with at least 1.25% rebates because the list would be too long if we include 1% cards.

For specific categories, there is almost no reason to keep any cards with 2% rebate or less if you can get a Schwab Visa or Fidelity AMEX, but I did not delete them because someone may not be able to get a 2% all purpose card.

rated:
Planning 3 or so trips to Singapore within the next year, 2 for me, 1 for my gf (from singapore to here) . Any recommendations for cards? The ones listed under airlines seem to be for specific airlines...

We generally look around sites like Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity right now.

rated:
For those who are still interested in PremierPass no annual fee World MasterCard, CitiCards.com does not offer it any more. However, Expedia.com version is still available. link

rated:
minggang said: For specific categories, there is almost no reason to keep any cards with 2% rebate or less if you can get a Schwab Visa or Fidelity AMEX, but I did not delete them because someone may not be able to get a 2% all purpose card.

Schwab/Fidelity is useless since these cards only allow you to fund a Schwab or Fidelity account. Additionally, Schwab and Fidelity are known for their high brokerage fees.

rated:
dieuwer said:
Schwab/Fidelity is useless since these cards only allow you to fund a Schwab or Fidelity account. Additionally, Schwab and Fidelity are known for their high brokerage fees.

I pay nothing for my Schwab brokerage account, and can transfer the cash rewards from the brokerage to any account I want through MoneyLink for free. Pretty damn useful if you ask me.

rated:
Schwab has $1000 minimum.

rated:
dieuwer said: Schwab has $1000 minimum.

Not if a Schwab Credit Card and/or Investor Checking account linked to it....then Schwab One (Regular Account) has no minimum at all...
Even their IRA Account, while requiring an initial $1000 going in...doesn't even need to be maintained...even with that you could transfer $999 out afterwards and they wouldn't care...they are very liberal about their requirements in that regard...Actually, same rule applies normally to Schwab One as well...but with that account the linking of either or both of those other products even exempts you from that...

rated:
dieuwer said: Schwab has $1000 minimum.
Not necessarily. From the Schwab Pricing Guide, regarding the Schwab One account and its minimum deposit requirement (I bolded one way to avoid it):

$1,000 per account
The Minimum Deposit
Requirement is waived
if you open a linked
Schwab Bank High Yield
Investor Checking®
account, open a Schwab
Bank Invest First™ Visa
Signature® credit card,
or establish an incoming
monthly transfer of
at least $100 through
direct deposit or Schwab
MoneyLink®

rated:
At the risk of being flamed like Argyll, I totally support folks going to credit unions and smaller/community banks for checking/savings and credit cards. For me, Schwab/AMEX/Citi/etc don't cut the mustard due to size and/or soundness. More power to all the Schwab-ers here but they're too big and I don't want to open companion accounts to get my rewards.

I'm very interested in getting a decent non-big-institution Cash Back credit card, so the discussion about CU's best offering is a great help. I guess it comes down to PenFed and Fort Knox. I called Fort Knox and they confirmed it's 5% gas/1.25% everything else with auto/travel insurance as the only other features. Plus, there's a $20-$30 (she wasn't sure) inactivity fee after a year of no use. You can become a member if you join the American Consumer Council for free.

Maybe Fort Knox could be added to the front page?

rated:
jxf, good job! I did not add Fort Knox because I did not know that you can get membership by joining American Consumer Council for free. Go ahead and add it to QS.

rated:
Rats, you are eligible to join Fort Knox CU if you join American Consumer Council (ACC is free) *but* you have to pay for your Fort Knox membership:
"The initial requirement for membership is only $15, of which $5 represents one share in the Credit Union, and the remaining $10 covers your one-time-only membership fee."

Too bad Alliant doesn't have a 1% cash rewards Signature Visa ...

rated:
Addison Avenue has a 1% monthly CashBack Platinum Visa. You can also opt for rewards points.

Delta has a rewards card that pays a little under 1%, but the equivalent of 1% once you reach 10,000 points.

Redstone has a rewards card of 1% under $10,000 and 2% on annual purchases over $10,000.

Anyone can join these credit unions.

I have the Addison and Delta cards.

rated:
Argyll said: Addison Avenue has a 1% monthly Cash Platinum rewards card. You can also opt for a rewards card.

Delta has a rewards card that pays a little under 1%, but the equivalent of 1% once you reach 10,000 points.

Redstone has a rewards card of 1% under $10,000 and 2% on annual purchases over $10,000.

Even dealing exclusively with CU's, couldn't you do better with Penfed, Knox, Northrop, LMCU or NASA? I don't know why a 1% CB cc would spark much interest on this forum.

rated:
kintro said: Even dealing exclusively with CU's, couldn't you do better with Penfed, Knox, Northrop, LMCU or NASA? I don't know why a 1% CB cc would spark much interest on this forum.

Because they are safe and reliable institutions, they are worth knowing about. and Another reason is that they do not require very high credit ratings or credit lines to get.

Thanks for the info on these other CUs, which all have their own variations. Which do you like best?

rated:
Argyll said: kintro said: Argyll said: Addison Avenue has a 1% monthly Cash Platinum rewards card. You can also opt for a rewards card.

Even dealing exclusively with CU's, couldn't you do better with Penfed, Knox, Northrop, LMCU or NASA? I don't know why a 1% CB cc would spark much interest on this forum.

Because they are safe and reliable institutions, they are worth knowing about. and Another reason is that they do not require very high credit ratings or credit lines to get.

Thanks for the info on these other CUs, which all have their own variations. Which do you like best?

Agreed, Addison & Delta are safe bets.

Northrop is probably best in terms of CB at 1.5% straight annually but joining was like $50 through some association since I wasn't in their direct FOM. I rarely use the card but it's a solid back up for my existing 2% CB cc's. NASA and LMCU, I don't have the cards but I came across these when researching CU deals. NASA, tiered structure is a real put off. LMCU is worth a look for their RCA.

rated:
rama13 said: dieuwer said:

I pay nothing for my Schwab brokerage account, and can transfer the cash rewards from the brokerage to any account I want through MoneyLink for free. Pretty damn useful if you ask me.

Ditto.
I also opened my Schwab Brokerage account (required to get the monthly disbursement oif the 2% Cash Reward) with no minimum opening deposit. Currently have about $8.00 in the account; no fees at all.

rated:
minggang said: Did you read what Craig talked about? Extras such as extended warranty and 90 day lost stolen protection.

Argyll said:
How often have you used that? How often has craig used that? How often does anyone use it? How easy it is to use? I have never used those features from a credit card.

I've used the Extended Warranty a couple of times. Once for an iPod, another time for a Sci calculator. Both times it was a hassle to fill out the paper work, wait for replies, send in more info, etc. But in the end I did get a sizeable check. I guess if you do FW you would not be opposed to doing a little clerical work to make a few bucks.

rated:
scottsd said: rama13 said: dieuwer said:

Ditto.
I also opened my Schwab Brokerage account (required to get the monthly disbursement oif the 2% Cash Reward) with no minimum opening deposit. Currently have about $8.00 in the account; no fees at all.

One time schwab stuck me with about 40 dollars in fees, but it was my fault I guess. I was under the assumption that if you sold stock, then the money is yours right away: WRONG. After you sell stock it takes 3 business days for the stock to "settle" before you can withdraw your money. When I thought I was withdrawing my own money, I actually managed to create a margin loan. And since this was over an extended weekend, I had a large margin loan for like 7 days. At 8% interest that quickly adds up.

rated:
glxpass said: dieuwer said: Schwab has $1000 minimum.
Not necessarily. From the Schwab Pricing Guide, regarding the Schwab One account and its minimum deposit requirement (I bolded one way to avoid it):

$1,000 per account
The Minimum Deposit
Requirement is waived
if you open a linked
Schwab Bank High Yield
Investor Checking®
account, open a Schwab
Bank Invest First™ Visa
Signature® credit card,
or establish an incoming
monthly transfer of
at least $100 through
direct deposit or Schwab
MoneyLink®

So, how exactly does someone who doesn't already have Schwab accounts get a Schwab credit card without opening and funding a Schwab account?
Are you saying they will let new customers simultaneously get the Visa credit card and open the One account with a zero balance and never require you to deposit any money into the One account?
Even if that was true, it would be a hassle to transfer your rebate cash out of the account into your regular savings account that may offer better dividends. If you just leave it sitting in the Schwab account, you would be losing interest that would be made elsewhere and if you are making transfers out every month costs you your time and electronic transfer fees.
Seems like the Schwab Visa isn't worth it unless you already wanted to use Schwab for banking or brokerage anyways.

rated:
Although of course, Schwab hopes that once you have the Schwab One linked, you might consider using it for one purpose or another, since they really aren't making anything on this deal, that is correct, you don't have to use it other then having your credit card's rewards delivered to it each month...and no...it isn't a big hassle moving it out to another account...you simply link the desired bank to your "moneylink transfer system" in the Schwab One and Schwab has fast 1 day transfers...so you could have it in your higher rate account in just one day...

And yes, that is correct..when you open the credit card and open and link the brokerage to it...then there is no minimum initial deposit or minimum balance to maintain....and yes the card IS worth it...

rated:
web1b said: glxpass said: dieuwer said: Schwab has $1000 minimum.

$1,000 per account
The Minimum Deposit
Requirement is waived
if you open a linked
Schwab Bank High Yield
Investor Checking®
account, open a Schwab
Bank Invest First™ Visa
Signature® credit card,
or establish an incoming
monthly transfer of
at least $100 through
direct deposit or Schwab
MoneyLink®

So, how exactly does someone who doesn't already have Schwab accounts get a Schwab credit card without opening and funding a Schwab account?
Are you saying they will let new customers simultaneously get the Visa credit card and open the One account with a zero balance and never require you to deposit any money into the One account?
Even if that was true, it would be a hassle to transfer your rebate cash out of the account into your regular savings account that may offer better dividends. If you just leave it sitting in the Schwab account, you would be losing interest that would be made elsewhere and if you are making transfers out every month costs you your time and electronic transfer fees.
Seems like the Schwab Visa isn't worth it unless you already wanted to use Schwab for banking or brokerage anyways.

Yep because CB money sitting in an account is a loss. It's not worth the hassle to use Schwab's Moneylink to transfer the money because you're losing interest on a 1-2 day transfer of CB money. Whoever applied for Schwab's 2% CB card that has uncapped CB, no minimum payout and instantly shows pending authorizations must be a real IDIOT.

rated:
I read on another site that there is a one month after the end of the statement period lag on having the rebate credited into your Schwab account (2% rebate for January Visa purchases statement wouldn't get credited to the Schwab account until March) and because there is no preset spending limit the credit account doesn't list any dollar amount for available credit on your credit report. Is that true?
Can you just transfer the rebate cash from the Schwab account to the Visa account for partial payment towards the Visa account and then avoid bothering with transferring it to your other bank?

rated:
minggang said: For those who are still interested in PremierPass no annual fee World MasterCard, CitiCards.com does not offer it any more. However, Expedia.com version is still available. link

Signed up for the elite version for this card... Didn't know about this caveat:

Purchase Points appear on your billing statement at the close of each billing cycle. Flight Points appear on your statement 6-8 weeks after the date of travel. Flight Points only transfer to your ThankYou Member Account when at least as many Purchase Points have been transferred during the current or previous billing cycles.

Meaning my 19000 points (miles) to Singapore are wasted as I won't spend $19k in regular purchases. I guess I'll till take advantage of the $100 credit and then cancel.

Which means I need to find another card for my traveling... Any other recommendations?

rated:
deleted as card no longer offered, links dead.

2% HSBC / Orchard Bank Premium Platinum MasterCard

rated:
minggang said: Argyll,
All card in QS are categorized by rewards, also, general consumer, student and small business.
Maybe you want to create a new Category - Rewards Cards from CU Only. Here are the cards I know have more than 1% C@shBack.

Whoa whoa whoa... when was this Fort Knox card discovered? Right off the bat it seems like an incredible card recently introduced in these trying economic times. Is there a catch? This thing looks like a winner... I'm not going to sign up yet but if anyone wishes to offer their advice/experience in regards to this card, I would definitely appreciate it.

rated:
I heard this card from this discussion.
Someone pointed out that PenFed Visa also have a similar blocked country list.

Last time, when I went to Canada, my PenFed Visa did not work in any gas station, and I did not try it in other places because I had Schwab Visa and Cap1 MC with me. But, I did not call PenFed in advance, so I am not sure if it was the problem. By the way, I did not get any fraud alert from PenFed although I tried at least 5 times in different gas stations in Canada.

So, Argyll, maybe sometimes, you do need a credit card from banks. Of course, I have no clue if other credit unions have similar lists.

PhrostByte said: minggang said: Argyll,

Whoa whoa whoa... when was this Fort Knox card discovered? Right off the bat it seems like an incredible card recently introduced in these trying economic times. Is there a catch? This thing looks like a winner... I'm not going to sign up yet but if anyone wishes to offer their advice/experience in regards to this card, I would definitely appreciate it.

rated:
minggang said: I heard this card from this discussion.
Someone pointed out that PenFed Visa also have a similar blocked country list.

Last time, when I went to Canada, my PenFed Visa did not work in any gas station, and I did not try it in other places because I had Schwab Visa and Cap1 MC with me. But, I did not call PenFed in advance, so I am not sure if it was the problem. By the way, I did not get any fraud alert from PenFed although I tried at least 5 times in different gas stations in Canada.

So, Argyll, maybe sometimes, you do need a credit card from banks. Of course, I have no clue if other credit unions have similar lists.

I see my name mentioned here. I'm not sure why. However, it's likely your problem with the PenFed card is a problem with that card or the Visa system, not credit unions. I have four CU cards and I have never experienced a problem with any of them.

rated:
argyll said: Perhaps you don't understand. It doesn't matter how you intend to manage your account if your payment gets lost, the due date is changed, a giant snowstorm, flood, or hurricane destroys your payment, or, what the hell, as some credit card companies have done, they just hold your payment and don't credit it until after the due date.
Not to continue to be off-topic here, but the talk about the cc company losing your payment actually just hit home.

I've ALWAYS paid my bills on time. These days, I have been sending in payments a week or two before the due date, just to make sure they get there on time, and (hopefully) to show the cc co I am serious about being a good responsible customer.

Well, today I just figured out that the cc payment I had set up for BillPay by my local bank last week, still has not arrvied at the cc co. Turns out the payment was mailed by the bank, vice EFT, b/c the account # I had entered into the BillPay system was judged to be in the "wrong format" by the cc co. Now how am I supposed to know that? That, and I've been paying the same cc every month for 3 years and _never_ had a problem with a payment. I think the bank I use for BillPay is somehow screwed up.

In any case, I did a stop payment on the Billpay (no fee, thank you), fixed the account # in the Billpay system, and will retry a new payment tomorrow -- hopefully it'll go by EFT this time. I might also do a
direct EFT pull by the cc to to make the minimum payment as well.

So all this sucks -- BillPay is supposed to make my life easier!

rated:
scottsd said: argyll said: Perhaps you don't understand. It doesn't matter how you intend to manage your account if your payment gets lost, the due date is changed, a giant snowstorm, flood, or hurricane destroys your payment, or, what the hell, as some credit card companies have done, they just hold your payment and don't credit it until after the due date.
Not to continue to be off-topic here, but the talk about the cc company losing your payment actually just hit home.

I've ALWAYS paid my bills on time. These days, I have been sending in payments a week or two before the due date, just to make sure they get there on time, and (hopefully) to show the cc co I am serious about being a good responsible customer.

Well, today I just figured out that the cc payment I had set up for BillPay by my local bank last week, still has not arrvied at the cc co. Turns out the payment was mailed by the bank, vice EFT, b/c the account # I had entered into the BillPay system was judged to be in the "wrong format" by the cc co. Now how am I supposed to know that? That, and I've been paying the same cc every month for 3 years and _never_ had a problem with a payment. I think the bank I use for BillPay is somehow screwed up.

In any case, I did a stop payment on the Billpay (no fee, thank you), fixed the account # in the Billpay system, and will retry a new payment tomorrow -- hopefully it'll go by EFT this time. I might also do a

I hope there are no fees from the cc company. The way I have my CU credit cards set up is: two draw automatically from a savings account so I never have to worry or even do anything at all, and the other two I initiate online from the credit union to make a payment. I have never used Billpay to pay credit cards.

Although very rare, billpay problems can happen. Most of the CUs have fairly liberal late payment policies. One of them assesses a fee only if ten days late. Also, credit unions do not automatically raise your APR if you make a late payment.

If you call the company and tell them the problem, they might be amenable to not assessing a fee.

rated:
So what's the best cards right now? I currently have:

Chase Freedom Card which gives:

3% Bonus Cash Back on gas, groceries and fast food purchases for the first six months*
•1% Unlimited Cash Back on everything else. No cap. No expiration.*
•0% Intro APR* on purchases for up to 12 months.*
•No annual fee
•Earn up to an additional 20% Cash Back at hundreds of merchants when you shop online with Chase Rewards Plus SM

I also have an Assoicated Bank Platinum card that has:

5% cash rebate on supermarkets, gas stations, drug stores.
1% on everything else.
Max $300 Rebate Dollars every calendar year.
Request checks when reward balance $50 or more.
No annual fee.

Anything out there that's better than these 2?

rated:
scottsd said:

This is why I always setup automatic payments on the credit card issuer's website. That way the payment gets drawn from my (interest-bearing) checking account on the due date (a "pull" instead of a "push"). In addition to making the issuer the responsible party (if they don't get the money, it's because they screwed up), I earn a couple days extra interest, because a bill pay "push" takes the money out a few days before it's actually due.

Chris.

rated:
got letter from citi saying they canceled my premierpass visa due to inactivity

(it's been a couple of years since i last used it)

rated:
Schwab 2 percent on everything else. No annual fee.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 141 42 434445115
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014