• filter:
  • 188 89 909192121
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Thanks. I do not have any negative on my credit report other than a fully paid mortgage and no car loan ever, both of which would added a few more points to my credit score. I have already moved $100k to Barclay's savings. I plan to apply for the Barclay's credit card and eventually close my capital one accounts. Capital one bought a gem from ING direct. They got their hands on a pool of savers, and instead of using this relationship to enhance their credit card portfolio by increasing the quality of their credit profile, they are throwing away their acquisition by driving out high quality net worth customers. Very few companies are able to take full advantage of cross selling products, because they do not know how to use their CRM modules and continue to run businesses as silos.

rated:
upnorth85: Capital One has better CC offerings than Barclays. Not sure why you would want to give up a 1.5% CashBack card along with no forex fees.

Makes no sense to me. The cards like Barclays Ring are worse offerings for people who pay in full. They could be okay if you keep a balance and the 8% rate is acceptable to you, but it is a variable rate and will increase.

Capital One for people who pay in full will get you a straight 1.5% in rewards as well as no foreign exchange fees.

If Barclays came out with a more competitive offering than Capital One I would definitely consider them for a CC, but they don't offer anything competitive in the rewards market right now.

rated:
grex23 said:   upnorth85: Capital One has better CC offerings than Barclays. Not sure why you would want to give up a 1.5% CashBack card along with no forex fees.

Makes no sense to me. The cards like Barclays Ring are worse offerings for people who pay in full. They could be okay if you keep a balance and the 8% rate is acceptable to you, but it is a variable rate and will increase.

Capital One for people who pay in full will get you a straight 1.5% in rewards as well as no foreign exchange fees.

If Barclays came out with a more competitive offering than Capital One I would definitely consider them for a CC, but they don't offer anything competitive in the rewards market right now.

Doesn't Barclatys have the Priceline 2% CashBack card?

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   grex23 said:   upnorth85: Capital One has better CC offerings than Barclays. Not sure why you would want to give up a 1.5% CashBack card along with no forex fees.

Doesn't Barclatys have the Priceline 2% CashBack card?

yes

...and sometimes 400 for 1000 cards...

rated:
I would rather have a 1.5% card with no forex. Barclays for international usage will come out to more money.

I don't get anymore credit card offers in the mail. Banks have stopped giving out promotionals, at least for me. Plus when you are starting out they are good. But after awhile you just want one single card for usage and not apply for more cards. Just too much hassle these days.

Capital One gave me a 14% offer which was a purchase rate on an existing card with no fees for checks for an account. I promptly ripped up the offer. I don't borrow money from institutions.

Banks always send offers on my account and each and every time I reject them. They just never stop. Must cost them a ton for mailings which are just obnoxious and annoying and yet bankers keep trying to peddle for dollars.

The Capital One 1.5% card is my ideal card because I can use it anywhere and get the 1.5% without categories or Foreign currency fees. I use the World Mastercard from Capital One in conjunction with an American Express Hilton HHonors card.

These for me are the best two cards overall. If Barclays had a more competitive offering with 1.5% or better with no foreign exchange fees and the like I would consider switching.

rated:
grex23 said:   

I don't get anymore credit card offers in the mail. Banks have stopped giving out promotionals, at least for me. Plus when you are starting out they are good. But after awhile you just want one single card for usage and not apply for more cards.

Grex. Stop lying. You post here to complain about getting credit card offers in the mail.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1255550/

To the question asked (which said nothing about forex fees). I prefer Barclays cards to Capone cards.

rated:
The last credit card offer I got was a long time ago and was a useless offer.

rated:
The Capital one credit card limit of $7500 is too low for me. I need a limit of at least $25,000 to be able to worry free use it without having to watch the balance. I set the card on auto debit of the full statement balance amount and never carry any balance. The 1.5% is good. Most of my travels are for business so the forex fees do not bother me. In any case in most of the countries I travel they convert to USD and there is no foreign currency conversion fee. Mastercard and Visa's lucrative fees is long gone. Barclay has 2% Cash Back on Gas, Grocery and Utilities and has no limit unlike Chase and AMEX Costco. I will not cancel the Capital one, but may keep it for any big single item purchases. My favorite card used to be Schwab 2% Cash Back, since then it has been a case of juggling with many cards to maximize the Cash Back. Capital one would have been the best alternative only if they were a bit more liberal with their credit limit.

grex23 said:   upnorth85: Capital One has better CC offerings than Barclays. Not sure why you would want to give up a 1.5% CashBack card along with no forex fees.

rated:
What Barclay's card do you use? I was thinking of applying for the Barclay's Mastercard rewards credit card.
http://www.aboutbarclaycardus.com/prodsresource_products.php

The Priceline card also looks very interesting. Was the below card, that you referred to?

https://www.pricelinevisa.com/

rated:
My Capital One is a World Mastercard and a higher limit than $7500. No pre set spending limit. Never asked for a credit line increase, but the limit is way more than I need. If you are spending and paying back $7500 in full with top credit score, I don't see why you shouldn't qualify for the World Mastercard product with a higher credit line.

I have a Capital One Venture Rewards card as well which I got before the Cash Back Rewards card came out so I have substantial credit limits with Capital One.

Not pushing you to any product. I was just saying for me I like the Capital One since I can use it anywhere on any product and know I get the 1.5% with no foreign currency fees as a global use anywhere credit card, plus I have the World no preset limit card with a higher limit.

Citibank cancelled a card out on me with a $20,000 limit that I was not using but it was a poor rewards program that they only increased after they closed out my card.

So I like the AMEX Hilton Hhonors and Capital One World Mastercard the best right now. I have unused cards from lots of other issuers, but I just don't like the rotating category cards. Haven't closed the cards out and there are some really old cards in the mix but only Bank Of America and Citibank have closed out accounts on me so far. Citibank closed out all the accounts I had for non usage or end of affiliations and Bank Of America cancelled out a card I had as well claiming they no longer offer the card.

Capital One's reward program is so easy to credit back to the account, no checks needed like Chase had.

The .50% comes back only annually. But since I continually use the same card, it will reduce the balance a little.

I like simplicity and keeping cards to a minimal level.

The Barclays Ring card is interesting and highly rated. Unfortunately it is just a platinum card and it is unclear what the actual rewards percentage comes to on this account because it is not disclosed on the website.

Barclays has an annual fee premium card with 2% rewards but the Capital One version has no fee and has a 1.5% rewards. I don't like Fee based cards at all, but Chase has the Sapphire Preferred and Capital One has the Paid Venture card which have fees which also compete at the 2% level with no Foreign currency fees.

If you spent a lot and have high income the fee based cards could wind up paying for itself, but not for me.

rated:
Don't get me wrong. I would have been very happy to have made capital one my main card other than for Gas (AMEX Costco). All of my other cards (chase, AMEX, BOA/ex-schwab etc) have $25k limit. I have been with Capital one for 9 months now and because they took over ING bank, with that my six figure savings account balance I thought may be with a credit score above 800, they would increase my credit limit. My Cap 2, credit limit is way less than my one month's salary, let alone adding my wife's salary. So the card does not provide us the flexibility of using it and not bothering to check the limit. Since I have been spited by Cap 1, I am not in a mood to do any business with them and have already moved a six sum figure in to my new Barclay's savings account. Capital one clearly is not seeking high net worth and high credit score customers. Its advertisements reflect the type of customer profile they seek. More interesting is their reason for rejection - we do not have a mechanism to increase credit limit initiated by a customer. Another thing I do not like about Cap 1 is that they do not keep on-line statements for more than a year. Chase on the other hand keeps 5 years of statements. But Chase has dropped down dramatically on the rewards front limiting the rewards to 1500 each quarter. They are targeting people on food stamp income group at that rewards level. Chase has the industry best standard in on-line account search and statement access. But due to poor rewards it is no more of any use to me.

rated:
upnorth85 said:   Don't get me wrong. I would have been very happy to have made capital one my main card other than for Gas (AMEX Costco). All of my other cards (chase, AMEX, BOA/ex-schwab etc) have $25k limit. I have been with Capital one for 9 months now and because they took over ING bank, with that my six figure savings account balance I thought may be with a credit score above 800, they would increase my credit limit. My Cap 2, credit limit is way less than my one month's salary, let alone adding my wife's salary. So the card does not provide us the flexibility of using it and not bothering to check the limit. Since I have been spited by Cap 1, I am not in a mood to do any business with them and have already moved a six sum figure in to my new Barclay's savings account. Capital one clearly is not seeking high net worth and high credit score customers. Its advertisements reflect the type of customer profile they seek. More interesting is their reason for rejection - we do not have a mechanism to increase credit limit initiated by a customer. Another thing I do not like about Cap 1 is that they do not keep on-line statements for more than a year. Chase on the other hand keeps 5 years of statements. But Chase has dropped down dramatically on the rewards front limiting the rewards to 1500 each quarter. They are targeting people on food stamp income group at that rewards level. Chase has the industry best standard in on-line account search and statement access. But due to poor rewards it is no more of any use to me.

It sucks that they couldn't see how clearly awesome you are. Idiots...

rated:
"Capital one clearly is not seeking high net worth and high credit score customers. Its advertisements reflect the type of customer profile they seek. More interesting is their reason for rejection - we do not have a mechanism to increase credit limit initiated by a customer. Another thing I do not like about Cap 1 is that they do not keep on-line statements for more than a year. Chase on the other hand keeps 5 years of statements. But Chase has dropped down dramatically on the rewards front limiting the rewards to 1500 each quarter. They are targeting people on food stamp income group at that rewards level. Chase has the industry best standard in on-line account search and statement access. But due to poor rewards it is no more of any use to me."

Capital One does indeed target high net worth clients. I have multiple Capital One accounts with a 15,000 credit line each and no preset spending limits. I can charge more than 15,000 on the card and if I was actively using the limit of course I would get a higher credit limit on the card.

I am not telling you what bank to use, just saying that Capital One does indeed target high networth customers. You need excellent credit for the Cash Back Rewards card and people have gotten extremely high limits on their cards.

Never had a problem with Capital One statements before. Capital One's Cash Rewards World Mastercard targets higher net worth clients.

Chase has the Sapphire which also targets higher networth clients.

Not sure why you keep saying issuers are targeting low net worth customers. Rewards on the highest end cards from Chase, Barclays and Capital One don't have any limits or restrictions.

I had no deposits on hand with Chase and got a substantial credit limit with them on a Sapphire card. Deposits on hand are not correlated to credit worthiness. Banks in their application process look for total assets including deposits but it does not matter which bank it is deposited in.

Based on your own comments, Capital One as an issuer thought you weren't a good credit risk based on the totality of the application process. This will include total assets on hand, credit score and large paybacks, length of active credit lines and even whether or not you have been at a single address for a long time or have moved around and if you own or rent.

But all the issuers have strict underwriting standards today since the financial collapse of 2008.

I can assure you American Express, Capital One, Chase have a lot more high networth clients than Barclays in the United States.

Barclays is more well known in the United Kingdom. The Online Savings division in the USA was only recently established in Delaware and the Credit Card and Online Savings are not correlated in any way. Totally different divisions.

Capital One, Chase and Amex

As you can see Capital One, Chase and AMEX all have given high limits.

Granted Barclays product is a World Mastercard as well. I thought it wasn't but the one on the website is a no fee up to World Mastercard for those who qualify.

If you get lucky and get a higher credit line with Barclays so be it. But with all World Mastercards it is no preset limit. I realize you can't charge unlimited on the card but if you use it appropriately they will likely approve higher transactions and even extend higher limits if you are able to pay for it.

I had a Citibank Card with poor rewards program with a $20,000 limit they closed out on me for non usage, but it wasn't a big deal.

I have over $200,000 of credit after some lines got closed out by the issuer. And the truth is I use very little of the total allocation with 0 outstanding debt and just accumulate rewards when I pay.

I suspect if I was charging a lot with any issuer I would get upgraded.

rated:
My Cap1 credit card is indeed a World Master Card but with a credit limit of $7500 which is less than 10 days of our household income. We are in the top 3% household income, so I don't know what other "high net worth" group Cap 1 may be interested in. No doubt we do not have any mortgage nor car loans because we buy on cash. So we may not fit the credit profile of a typical American household with a range of credit products that increase the credit score even more. In fact the only negatives I have on my credit score report is that I do not have a "range of credit lines" such as mortgage and car payments.

I do not quite understand the concept of unlimited spending on my Cap1. I really do not want my credit card to be rejected because my credit line has reached the maximum. I would rather stop using the card when I hit the 50% mark rather than have to worry to keep watching the balance. A $25k limit allows me to use it and not have to worry if I have reached my credit limit, ever. I do frequently use my credit card for my business travels too, and had $28k on my AMEX Costco card last year. Lot of which would have been on Cap1 if not for their measly credit line.

My Barclays choice is a way to move my savings account from Cap 1 to anyone paying higher interest rate than cap1/ING. Barclays pays 1% on their on-line savings and Cap1360 is 0.75%. I would not have bothered looking elsewhere if not for Cap 1's rejection of my request to increase my credit limit. I thought it galling of them to have over $100k of my money in deposits with them, and reject my request for increase in my credit limit from $7500. I don't even know if their right hand knows what its left hand is doing. They made a great acquisition, but are now frittering away the jewels.

rated:
Capital One has an increase credit line request feature in its website, but I have not used it. If you have the assets you say you have just reapply with Capital One for a new credit card.

I always pay in full, but the no preset limit means you don't have to worry about overlimit fees and they will decide if they want to approve or reject the transaction.

rated:
What is the web link to request an increase in the credit line?
thanks.

rated:
I was informed Barclays has the Arrival card which is free and has no FOREX on a World Mastercard. It is a 1% CashBack and 2% CashBack on dining and travel.

It sounds like this card would fit your needs and it isn't a bad offering at all. I did not know about it and it isn't heavily advertised. I am not switching cards for a mere .5% on some transactions and a loss of .5% on others and I do have other cards which have similar offerings.

However the product looks very good and is competitive. They also give 10,000 points upon sign up.

Barclays Arrival Credit card

Also a paid version as well.

I thought there was an increase credit line feature but there isn't. There is a way to see if there are any upgrades available but there were none for my account.

I have funds in Online Savings too, but have not seen any Barclays Credit Card offerings I am ready to jump on yet plus Capital One has local branches here so I still am doing banking with them in addition to Barclays.

Not possible to maximize much with credit cards. The only real way to save is to cut down on spending.

The Barclays has an additional 10% back if you redeem for travel.

With Capital One it is a straight 1% then a .50% back at the end of the year. This is a 1% or 2% with a 10% bonus on travel.

Both have no FOREX. So between the two can't say which is better on everything. If Barclays would sweeten it more I would go for this card.

rated:
Thanks for the new Barclay's card information.

rated:
It is rare for No foreign exchange fee cards to exist for the free level, but apparently Barclays has a World MasterCard offering now with it.

I was looking and apparently Bank of America now added a 1.50% Card with a 10% rate bonus for Bank Of America customers with no forex.

My Capital One card also allows me to get extra interest in my savings account with them since I keep a little in there.

I feel that Capital One is the most competitive local bank for everything including CC usage for me. The small variations of a percent are meaningless.

rated:
upnorth85 said:   I thought it galling of them to have over $100k of my money in deposits with them, and reject my request for increase in my credit limit from $7500.

Thanks for sharing that info. It is insane. I was considering asking for a CL increase, but if you don't qualify, then there is no point in me trying.

I have two cards with them, 1 that gives me float time (balance transfers with no fees) - depending on timing on other cards I can take 100 days to pay for a purchase interest free, and the card that does 1.5%.

I really like both cards but $7.5k limits can get in the way.

rated:
I have 15,000 limits with Capital One. $15,000 on a no preset spending card is plenty for me.

Think about it: $15,000 is $15000 a month x 12 so $180,000 a year as I pay in full each month. I don't see how I could want more than that. With the flexible spending limit / no preset the card is ideal.

$7,500 a month is a lot actually. $7500 x 12 is $90,000. I realize people make large purchases one month and not others but that is what the no preset limit cards are for.

rated:
Hi - I could use some help. I currently have a lot of CC debt and the interest payments are the killer. I can make a bit over the minimums but the interest means barely getting ahead of the balances. I have no negatives on my CR but obviously a high usage. I was thinking of trying for a few of the 0% cards. Any ideas what might work? I am at my wits end and really want to get ahead. I hate having this debt - it is literally eating me alive

I have cc's now with citi, chase, bank of america and usbank. My interest rates are all at about 10%.

Thanks for your help!

rated:
Allen, getting more credit isn't the solution. Might not be an option. With your high credit utilization you may not get approved for a card. Also what happens when the 0% term ends?
I recommend you read this thread http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/227686/ from start to finish.

rated:
Thanks batman - the only cc i have with a $0 balance is a chase rewards card- has a $22k cl - but everytime i call they tell me there are no BT's available. Anything I can do with that? I can try calling the banks today but somehow I doubt they will do anything for me.

When the 0% term ends, I would be back in the same state but $6000 ahead I assume as the interest wouldn't be there.

imbatman said:   Allen, getting more credit isn't the solution. Might not be an option. With your high credit utilization you may not get approved for a card. Also what happens when the 0% term ends?
I recommend you read this thread http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/227686/ from start to finish.

rated:
read the thread I linked.
"chase rewards card" isn't a card. if you want advice about a particular card, please say the name of it.

Your issue is not one of playing a credit card balance transfer game.
you need to stop spending more than you make, and make an effort to pay off your debt faster than just paying the minimum payments due. The thread I linked has tons of information in it.

rated:
yea i read it - thanks for the thread, it was very valuable.

i called chase on the $24k cl card with $0 balance - they have no bt offers for me - he said i haven't used the card in 5 years and if i started to use it, the bt offers would probably come. so i guess today i will make a couple charges on it and see what happens - there is $5k in cash advance available with 19% interest rate - that was talked about in the other thread - seems risky i guess... take the $5k, pay off one of my other small cc's and hope for a bt offer on that one to repay the 19%

imbatman said:   read the thread I linked.
"chase rewards card" isn't a card. if you want advice about a particular card, please say the name of it.

Your issue is not one of playing a credit card balance transfer game.
you need to stop spending more than you make, and make an effort to pay off your debt faster than just paying the minimum payments due. The thread I linked has tons of information in it.

rated:
allen074 said:   y.

there is $5k in cash advance available with 19% interest rate - that was talked about in the other thread - seems risky i guess... take the $5k, pay off one of my other small cc's and hope for a bt offer on that one to repay the 19%

That is a bad idea. Do not trade a 10% interest for a rate of 19% (Plus cash advance fees usually 3-4%). In order to come out ahead, you would have to to a 0%/0 BT fee transfer within 4 months (3% immediately, another 6% interest in 4 months). If it's a 3% BT fee, you'd have to do the BT in the next two months. That's a game you are likely to lose, and will get you in a worse position.

rated:
allen074 said:   yea i read it - thanks for the thread, it was very valuable.

i called chase on the $24k cl card with $0 balance - they have no bt offers for me - he said i haven't used the card in 5 years and if i started to use it, the bt offers would probably come. so i guess today i will make a couple charges on it and see what happens - there is $5k in cash advance available with 19% interest rate - that was talked about in the other thread - seems risky i guess... take the $5k, pay off one of my other small cc's and hope for a bt offer on that one to repay the 19%

What you really probably need is a come to Jesus talk with yourself. If you're REALLY serious about this, you're going to need to slash your spending and live way below your means. WAY below.

Do you have:
- a cell phone
- cable tv
- Netflix
- car payment

How often do you:
- eat out for dinner
- buy starbucks
- by pricey organic food
- purchase alcohol

These are the kinds of things that you need to think about. But I suppose that is for another thread. Good luck trying to find yourself a card in the meantime.

rated:
thanks - i won't give a full reply here so as to stay on topic - but i can assure you that i keep the bare minimum - thanks for your thoughts

tehlorax said:   allen074 said:   yea i read it - thanks for the thread, it was very valuable.

What you really probably need is a come to Jesus talk with yourself. If you're REALLY serious about this, you're going to need to slash your spending and live way below your means. WAY below.

Do you have:
- a cell phone
- cable tv
- Netflix
- car payment

How often do you:
- eat out for dinner
- buy starbucks
- by pricey organic food
- purchase alcohol

These are the kinds of things that you need to think about. But I suppose that is for another thread. Good luck trying to find yourself a card in the meantime.

rated:
you may benefit from starting a thread of your own. If you can handle it. You may think you keep it at the bare minimum, but people here will point it out if you're not.

rated:
As a test, I applied for the offer I got for Barclays World Arrival card. I was instantly approved for $6k. I wonder if I should try applying for a couple others today using the app-o-rama theory? If I could get 10k in BTs, that would be amazingly huge.

Any thoughts there? I figure I could try discover or capital one.

rated:
if you're dead set on it, apply for Chase Slate, Discover IT, and the Ally Bank card. There are applications that have 0% and 0 BT fees. I do not have the application links.
If you're eligible, also look into Navy Federal, they have a 0%/0 BT fee offer through 2/28.

My thoughts here are "good luck".

rated:
Thanks very much batman - I have 2 chase cc's so not sure if I want to try for a 3rd... but the others I will certainly look into. a $0 bt fee would be awesome!

imbatman said:   if you're dead set on it, apply for Chase Slate, Discover IT, and the Ally Bank card. There are applications that have 0% and 0 BT fees. I do not have the application links.
If you're eligible, also look into Navy Federal, they have a 0%/0 BT fee offer through 2/28.

My thoughts here are "good luck".

rated:
the number of chase cards you have shouldn't be a factor. One of the cards you mentioned had a 24k limit with a $0 balance. Apply, call reconsideration and ask them to transfer some of that 24k balance to the Slate card.

rated:
If you can get 0%'s then go for it especially if you have debt but are paying in full.

I have no debt and just use cards to accumulate rebates. Always pay in full.

rated:
RiversideTom said:   imbatman said:   You can apply now for one of the SW cards you haven't had before (premier and plus personal or business). You may need to call reconsideration but it should be fine.
Why not apply for both SW and delta cards?

I am trying to buy my 1st house this year (already have a pre-approval letter) so i'm thinking adding 1 card might be okay, but wasn't sure about adding 2...

thoughts on that angle?

imbatman,

would like your opinion on opening new credit lines while in the process of buying a house.

do you think i should still do this?

thanks

rated:
there are a ton of variables.
like how many hard inquiries do you have?
When I last refinanced, I had one hard inq from a credit limit increase for 2 weeks before the credit pull for the refi. I had to explain it.
If it were me, I would wait until the financing was done.

rated:
I concur. When I refinanced, they were all over me demanding an answer for how dare I have an inquiry from Paypal's BillMeLater.

rated:
quick update for those interested - chase declined me saying i already have too much with them - the woman would not move the avail from one to the other - i may try calling again but no idea if they will help.

discover approved me for 2k - best they could do they said

barclays approved me for 6k - called up - super nice woman said if i would be willing to do more bt, she could do 20k - this would be at 0% for 15 mos with 3% fee - i am estimating if it works and we do move $20k, i will save $2,500 over the 15 months. damn. all for a few hard inquiries.

rated:
Off-topic question but similar since it refers to banking rewards:

I am going to have to move banks from my credit union to another source soon (thanks to job loss). Recently, I opened an account at Chase with my fiance for a $125 bonus (with some restrictions such as maintain a certain amount of direct deposit, blah blah). Anyways, since I need another bank - I was wondering if anyone had a source of rewards for opening an account with banks. I could use some more free money since I need to open an account, why not take an incentive with it?

Thanks for anyones help!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 188 89 909192121
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014