• filter:
  • 189 90 919293116
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
imbatman said:   there are a ton of variables.
like how many hard inquiries do you have?
When I last refinanced, I had one hard inq from a credit limit increase for 2 weeks before the credit pull for the refi. I had to explain it.
If it were me, I would wait until the financing was done.

Thanks. I was leaning that way anyway.

Should close escrow 3/13.

rated:
I am looking for the best sign up offer on a travel rewards card?

thanks in advance.

rated:
suitedkings said:   I am looking for the best sign up offer on a travel rewards card?

thanks in advance.

There are multiple 50,000 point offers.

rated:
imbatman said:   suitedkings said:   I am looking for the best sign up offer on a travel rewards card?

thanks in advance.

There are multiple 50,000 point offers.

thanks i'll dig around for 50k offers.

rated:
Depending on your preferences start with chase southwest or chase ink bold

rated:
I know there's probably no answer for this and it'll be at best a theory, but has anybody noticed any seasonal patterns to bonuses? Like an ideal month to do an AOR?

rated:
mattun said:   I know there's probably no answer for this and it'll be at best a theory, but has anybody noticed any seasonal patterns to bonuses? Like an ideal month to do an AOR?

I have noticed it is random. There are some specific cards that repeat.
like Chase BA seems to have a 100k offer in the summer
so does the AMEX SPG card 30k
Others like the AMEX gold 75k offers pop up randomly.

There is no ideal month to do anything.

rated:
I got a prequalifcation from chase for my mortgage for refi, should i do it

rated:
Shop the terms around. Check Pen Fed, First IB, Amerisave, Zillow, etc. Watch rates, closing costs, etc.

rated:
Is there any issue with getting the Hilton Honors card from AMEX, and also getting the Citi Hilton Honors Signature card? They are both no-fee, and have the same benefits (including 40k Hilton bonus points each).

rated:
theospurs said:   Is there any issue with getting the Hilton Honors card from AMEX, and also getting the Citi Hilton Honors Signature card? They are both no-fee, and have the same benefits (including 40k Hilton bonus points each).

There is no issue (I have them both). They don't have the same benefits though. The AMEX gives you access to AXON award redemptions (good value). The AMEX also gives you more points per dollar than the Citi card in every category except at Hilton properties (which is a tie). I never use my Citi Card.
Also, I think there's a 50k bonus after 750 spend on the AMEX.

AMEX- Hilton points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels, supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations, phone/internet/cable & 3 points per $1 for everything else
Citi - Earn 6 Hilton points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels, 3 points at supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations & 2 points per $1 for everything else.

Note that the AMEX bonus categories are changing on May 1, but will still be better than the no annual fee citi card.

rated:
imbatman said:   theospurs said:   Is there any issue with getting the Hilton Honors card from AMEX, and also getting the Citi Hilton Honors Signature card? They are both no-fee, and have the same benefits (including 40k Hilton bonus points each).

There is no issue (I have them both). They don't have the same benefits though. The AMEX gives you access to AXON award redemptions (good value). The AMEX also gives you more points per dollar than the Citi card in every category except at Hilton properties (which is a tie). I never use my Citi Card.
Also, I think there's a 50k bonus after 750 spend on the AMEX.

AMEX- Hilton points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels, supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations, phone/internet/cable & 3 points per $1 for everything else
Citi - Earn 6 Hilton points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels, 3 points at supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations & 2 points per $1 for everything else.

Note that the AMEX bonus categories are changing on May 1, but will still be better than the no annual fee citi card.

Thanks - you are correct, they are slightly different. The AMEX requires $750 spend in 3 months to get the 40k points, while the Citi needs $1000 spend in 4 months to get the 40k points. Each of these spend requirements are ok for me, and to be honest, I wouldn't use either of these cards except for staying at the Hilton when travelling.

I currently use the 5% Penfed card for gas, and am putting everything else on my US Airways Dividend Miles card to hit the bonus 10k miles transferring to qualifying miles at year end. I am trying to accumulate airline and hotel points to pay for a vacation later on this year, so the 80k Hilton points will come in handy.

rated:
I called to cancel my Citi AMEX ThankYou rewards card and they offered 3X points on anything for 6 months or 10,000 points for $3000 spending to stay on. Figured that might be useful for somebody.

rated:
imbatman said:   theospurs said:   Is there any issue with getting the Hilton Honors card from AMEX, and also getting the Citi Hilton Honors Signature card? They are both no-fee, and have the same benefits (including 40k Hilton bonus points each).

There is no issue (I have them both). They don't have the same benefits though. The AMEX gives you access to AXON award redemptions (good value).

Hilton's Dramatic Devaluation Comes March 28: Time to Unload My HHonors Points:

".....Not yet announced, but this has to affect the valuable ‘AXON’ awards which offer 4 nights at a category 7 hotel for 145,000 points. Especially since category 7 is no longer the top redemption tier...."

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2013/02/19/hiltons...

rated:

rated:
It seems like it isn't a bummer if you stay off peak. They are cost managing the bonuses more effectively but instead of the point stretcher rewards of the past they are now included in the main program and include more Hotels.

Makes off peak times the best way to use rewards now. Obviously since they are seasonally adjusted if you stay during peak, you will have to spend a lot more points.

rated:
grex23 said:   It seems like it isn't a bummer if you stay off peak. They are cost managing the bonuses more effectively but instead of the point stretcher rewards of the past they are now included in the main program and include more Hotels.

Makes off peak times the best way to use rewards now. Obviously since they are seasonally adjusted if you stay during peak, you will have to spend a lot more points.

I wish that was the case. Even though they claim to have "seasonal" awards, for the searches I've done it rarely works out like that.

So even though category 10 hotels are 70,000 to 95,000, they are often coming in at 95,000 regardless of the season/peak travel time.

In addition, even if they offer off-peak awards at 70,000, the 'old' rate was 50k points for night. So at a minimum, this requires me to use 40% more points for the same - a near 25% reduction in point value.. Worst case, it's 90% more points. That's upwards of a 50% reduction in the value of the points on-peak.

I have not found an instance where an old category 7 (50k points per night) remains as a category 7, and offers the off-peak reduction to 30k points- meaning they now cost 60k points.

It is still a bummer even staying off-peak.

rated:
There are other rewards offerings than Hotels. But I see your point that point valuations have been devalued for the most part. I have around 35000 points myself and won't be using them yet. They don't expire and I keep accumulating them.

All rewards programs work the same way however, they always devalue the points, whether its Hotels, Airlines and so on over time.

But hopefully I'll be able to find something to cash out my points with that is decent later on. I nor you can't do anything about the devaluation of the points but you can use your points earlier if you are willing to. For me I don't even have enough points yet over the long haul which are minimal to boot. So it really will not amount to much either way.

rated:
We had our child a week ago and am expecting a ton of medical bills from that. What CC would you folks recommend? I have gold delta sky miles and am not so Keen on any hotel rewards.

rated:
thefrozentin said:   We had our child a week ago and am expecting a ton of medical bills from that. What CC would you folks recommend? I have gold delta sky miles and am not so Keen on any hotel rewards.
If you only have the Gold delta card
or if you're going to be spending less than 25k.
the SPG AMEX card is a better choice for you. Lower annual fee. 20,000 SPG points can be converted to 25,000 miles on many airlines (including delta), so your earning power would be better.

Or just go for a 2% credit card as the cash will often let you buy more domestic airline tickets than the miles will. (spend 20,000 get $400 or 25,000 miles).

rated:
imbatman said:   thefrozentin said:   We had our child a week ago and am expecting a ton of medical bills from that. What CC would you folks recommend? I have gold delta sky miles and am not so Keen on any hotel rewards.
If you only have the Gold delta card
or if you're going to be spending less than 25k.
the SPG AMEX card is a better choice for you. Lower annual fee. 20,000 SPG points can be converted to 25,000 miles on many airlines (including delta), so your earning power would be better.

Or just go for a 2% credit card as the cash will often let you buy more domestic airline tickets than the miles will. (spend 20,000 get $400 or 25,000 miles).

imbatman, thanks for the reply. I should have made a little more clear. I am also not too Keen on earning miles. I was more interested in points I can buy other stuff, Cash Back, etc.

rated:
imbatman said:   thefrozentin said:   ....

What credit cards offer 2% Cash Back?

rated:
Priceline is your friend. There are others, but that's the easiest/fastest.

rated:
upnorth85 said:   imbatman said:   thefrozentin said:   ....

What credit cards offer 2% Cash Back?

There are three listed in the quicksummary.

rated:
my bcp renews this may
the next "best" card i have is cap one venture ( 2 points for every dollar spent, can be redeemed for travel or GC)
am i missing out on other 2% cards?
why isn't the cap one getting much love??

i also plan to get a mortgage on or after Jan 2014, should i go on a 2-3 card app spree to try and get a "better" % card (the FIA or penfed 5% gas looks pretty good)

how long should i be a "good boy" before the mortgage app (i hear it's no new cards for at least 6 months prior to app)

my fico should be around 690-710. appreciate the advice.

edit:my main goal is
1) get $$$
2) don't mind WalMart gift cards since i can get groceries or gas at Sams
3) would also like to start getting/collecting airline/hotel miles (gonna start getting card/s in wife name to build her credit: AAoA 5 yrs, CK 694)

rated:
Cap one venture has an annual fee= no love
See my post just above yours to see there are two other 2% cards with no annual fee in the quick summary.

rated:
Is Priceline/Barclays liberal with their credit limit?
I have around $25k credit limit on Chase, AMEX-Costco and BOA(earlier FIA/Schwab 2%), but my limit on Capital one is only 7.5k and I am looking at dumping this one for an equal or higher Cash Back card like Priceline. The downside is that pricelines does charge 3% for foreign transactions.

mattun said:   Priceline is your friend. There are others, but that's the easiest/fastest.

rated:
I received similar numbers from Chase, AMEX, and Capital One. Barclays only gave me $10,000, however I had two other cards and they had no problem closing down my NFL card to get it up to $25,000.

rated:
One nagging thing for me is eBay/Paypal shipping charges. I usually burn them with AMEX Gift cards (Big Crumbs + whatever rewards). I just tried using an eBay gift card bought from a grocery store and it didn't work. Are there any better options or should I stick with the AMEX GCs?

rated:
Was your NFL card also a Barclay's card?
mattun said:   I received similar numbers from Chase, AMEX, and Capital One. Barclays only gave me $10,000, however I had two other cards and they had no problem closing down my NFL card to get it up to $25,000.

rated:
upnorth85 said:   Was your NFL card also a Barclay's card?
mattun said:   I received similar numbers from Chase, AMEX, and Capital One. Barclays only gave me $10,000, however I had two other cards and they had no problem closing down my NFL card to get it up to $25,000.

Yes, it would have been rather odd of them to close another issuer's NFL card.

rated:
If you have a Chase Freedom + checking account you get 10 points per purchase, which is worth at least 10 cents. If you are buying a shipping label for $3 that means you'll get over 4% back.

rated:
can you convert ultimate reward points from chase freedom to air miles?

rated:
newnorley said:   can you convert ultimate reward points from chase freedom to air miles?

No. You can do that only if you have premium products like Chase Ink Bold/Plus or CSP.

rated:
OK thanks, so i'm probably best of just applying them as a statement credit. None of the discount gift cards appeal.

rated:
Hi another question,

Are there any good systems or software to keep track of annual credit card spend, spending goals, promotions etc?

Thanks

rated:
I use excel and track it myself.

rated:
Thanks, before I set mine up I wanted to make there wasn't a better alternative.

rated:
lmnop100 said:   If you have a Chase Freedom + checking account you get 10 points per purchase, which is worth at least 10 cents. If you are buying a shipping label for $3 that means you'll get over 4% back.

Wait, that's pretty useful. Would Chase freak if I paid my eBay fees $1 at a time?

rated:
mattun said:   lmnop100 said:   If you have a Chase Freedom + checking account you get 10 points per purchase, which is worth at least 10 cents. If you are buying a shipping label for $3 that means you'll get over 4% back.

Wait, that's pretty useful. Would Chase freak if I paid my eBay fees $1 at a time?

I seem to recall a discussion a while back about this. At the time you could buy Amazon e-giftcards in .10 increments. Pretty sure that's changed now.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 189 90 919293116
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014