• filter:
  • 191 92 939495117
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
justacog said:   Speaking of the Bank of America's BankAmericard Cash Rewards, I have the signature visa version of the card. A few days ago, I tried to request the chip version of the card for possible international use. I got a song and dance about filing application data including income and I ended up asking point blank if they intended to do another hard pull on my credit report. The agent suggested that a hard pull is possible. I ended up declining and abandoning the whole process due to that; I was hoping I could just get the card re-issued with the chip since I already had the regular stripe version of the card.

I was able to request the chip version of my Citi Dividend Platinum card with no such hard pull. It was just a re-issue. Seems a bunch of nonsense to take a hard pull just to get the chip version of a card. I'll be requesting the chip version of my PenFed card and I do not expect any problems with a hard pull there.

Anyone have any comment on getting chipped cards and/or this BOA hard pull nonsense? Having a chip card isn't that big of deal since I don't travel much and never really had much problem with completing transactions. I just wanted to have a some cards with a chip should the need ever arise. I thought the US card companies were endeavoring to have chip cards issued sometime in 2013 anyway.

Thanks,
justacog

Why do you want BoA chip card for using outside the US anyway? PenFed Platinum has no foreign transaction fee, but your BoA & Citi have 3% foreign transaction fees. You want it because it's cool instead of "possible international use"...or you are so rich that 3% foreign transaction fees don't matter?

rated:
Why do you want BoA chip card for using outside the US anyway? PenFed Platinum has no foreign transaction fee, but your BoA & Citi have 3% foreign transaction fees. You want it because it's cool instead of "possible international use"...or you are so rich that 3% foreign transaction fees don't matter?

With work related reimbursement, I still get to keep the Cash Back reward. So the foreign tx fee is only applicable to personal international travel which is so rare as to be irrelevant. Also, I've read that PenFed is sometimes not processed very well internationally (at least it used to be.) So, having my cards chipped is more insurance of having alternate credit sources enabled than anything.

justacog

rated:
I need an AMEX card, mostly for use with costco. Debating between the Fidelity AMEX card (2% on everything) versus the Costco Business AMEX (4% on gas, 2% travel, 1% everything else). No annual fee on both. Any thoughts?

rated:
How much gas do you purchase at Costco?

rated:
07pilot4me said:   How much gas do you purchase at Costco?

Probably about $300 per month.

rated:
Interested in one of the rotating awards cards. How do they compare? Is there a thread or comparison somewhere? For ex, if one of them has good categories (like gas, restaurants, groceries) regularly, and another has crappy categories (like flowers, books, dry cleaners) regularly?

rated:
If you want to maximize your 5% rotating, you probably need to get multiple cards. Then just use whichever has the 5% at that location.

Discover - 5% Cashback Bonus Calendar
Restaurants and Movies Jan - Mar 2013
Home Improvement Apr - Jun 2013
Summer Fun Jul - Sep 2013
Holiday Shopping Oct - Dec 2013

Chase Freedom
Gas, Drug Stores, Starbucks - Jan-March
Restraunts, Movie, Lowes - April-June
Gas, Theme Parks, Kohls - July-Sept
Amazon, Select Dept Stores - Oct-Dec

rated:
Citi Dividend Mastercard as well. Categories are only revealed a couple of weeks prior to the start of the quarter.

rated:
Chase ink bold offer 5X points for first 50 K spend annually in Office Store/Phone/Cable.
MY query as follows.

1. What year do they consider for the above 50 K Spend ( Is it 1. Calendar Year ( Jan-Dec ) OR 2. Anniversary to Next Anniversary)

2. IF I spend total 60K in year as per following sequence.
First 40 K on Office Store. Then next 10K non-office/non cable internet. Then 10 K on office store purchases.

In above scenario do I earn 5X points on my last 10K expenses in office store OR do I just earn 1X , as those expenses were made after making total 50K expense ( Include those earming 5X & 1X) on the card?

rated:
PhinTron said:   Chase ink bold offer 5X points for first 50 K spend annually in Office Store/Phone/Cable.
MY query as follows.

1. What year do they consider for the above 50 K Spend ( Is it 1. Calendar Year ( Jan-Dec ) OR 2. Anniversary to Next Anniversary)

2. IF I spend total 60K in year as per following sequence.
First 40 K on Office Store. Then next 10K non-office/non cable internet. Then 10 K on office store purchases.

In above scenario do I earn 5X points on my last 10K expenses in office store OR do I just earn 1X , as those expenses were made after making total 50K expense ( Include those earming 5X & 1X) on the card?

1. anniversary
2. "Maximum point accumulation on net purchases earning an additional 4 points on category purchases is 200,000 points Annually, which equates to $50,000 in net purchases", so for 50-60K you will only be earning 1x points.

rated:
What's the group's take on the Air Tran Rewards Visa? Two flights after $2000 spend and also 2 biz class upgrades. I believe the free flights can be redeemed on SWA as well.

rated:
kriskos4 said:   What's the group's take on the Air Tran Rewards Visa? Two flights after $2000 spend and also 2 biz class upgrades. I believe the free flights can be redeemed on SWA as well.

I posted my opinion about it here http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1263497/m17641671/#m1764... as have a few others in that thread.

rated:
Has anyone tried applying to the Fidelity AMEX? It keeps on telling me to enter my SSN on the online app, even when it is already there.

rated:
What is the best website to sell AMEX and Chase credit card rewards?

rated:
what's the best credit card for Amazon purchases?

rated:
kaveh2k said:   what's the best credit card for Amazon purchases?

For rewards? Warranty?

The citi Forward offers TY points at the rate of approximately 5% Cash Back, due to the purchases being classified as bookstore.

rated:
talonesi said:   kaveh2k said:   what's the best credit card for Amazon purchases?

For rewards? Warranty?

The citi Forward offers TY points at the rate of approximately 5% Cash Back, due to the purchases being classified as bookstore.

but the citi Forward doesn't exist anymore.

rated:
kaveh2k said:   talonesi said:   kaveh2k said:   what's the best credit card for Amazon purchases?

For rewards? Warranty?

but the citi Forward doesn't exist anymore.

Link

rated:
kriskos4 said:   What's the group's take on the Air Tran Rewards Visa? Two flights after $2000 spend and also 2 biz class upgrades. I believe the free flights can be redeemed on SWA as well.My opinion is to sign up for it now before it goes away, which I assume will happen due to the merger. I am not pursuing a SW Companion Pass at this time so I'm thinking of adding it to my next AOR for usage on SW.

rated:
Hi , does anyone know when the date start if I just got new CC require me to spend $2000 in 3 month to get $100 bonus? it's start right after I activate it ?
and does anyone have excel format to track all your CC ?

TIA

rated:
aids said:   Hi , does anyone know when the date start if I just got new CC require me to spend $2000 in 3 month to get $100 bonus? it's start right after I activate it ?
and does anyone have excel format to track all your CC ?

TIA

General consensus is date of application/approval.

rated:
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Capital One Venture and VentureOne cards report their credit limit to the CRAs?

My understanding is that the two VENTURE cards are VISA SIGNATURE cards and they do not report their credit limits.

rated:
theboogeyman said:   Hi,

Does anyone know if the Capital One Venture and VentureOne cards report their credit limit to the CRAs?

My understanding is that the two VENTURE cards are VISA SIGNATURE cards and they do not report their credit limits.

I have a couple Visa Signature cards (with US Bank and Chase) and they both report their credit limits.

rated:
Which US Bank and chase cards do you have?

rated:
theboogeyman said:   Which US Bank and chase cards do you have?
USBank Cash+, Chase United. IIRC, those are my only two Visa Signature cards.

rated:
I know the golden rule is to always apply solo so as to be able to double down later, but what happens exactly when you co-apply with your spouse? Like if you were going after a difficult to get card, do they just look mostly at the better of the two applicants or is there some sort increased score due to having two people responsible for the line?

rated:
Could anyone inform on the credit score needed to get the 2% cards, specifically the BofA Priveleges card?

How are the other 2% cards in terms of score required?

Thanks!

rated:
talonesi said:   kaveh2k said:   what's the best credit card for Amazon purchases?

For rewards? Warranty?

It's actually not 5% Cash Back. It's equivalent to 3.57% Cash Back in the form of a prepaid Visa. You might be able to redeem the points at a 5% Cash Back rate on some other form of gift card... maybe WalMart. In any case, it's 5 POINTS per dollar at Amazon (because it's a bookstore) but the conversion rate is not 1 point per 1 cent.

rated:
rxblitzrx said:   talonesi said:   kaveh2k said:   what's the best credit card for Amazon purchases?

For rewards? Warranty?

It's actually not 5% Cash Back. It's equivalent to 3.57% Cash Back in the form of a prepaid Visa. You might be able to redeem the points at a 5% Cash Back rate on some other form of gift card... maybe WalMart. In any case, it's 5 POINTS per dollar at Amazon (because it's a bookstore) but the conversion rate is not 1 point per 1 cent.

TY points are literally 1 point per cent.

rated:
tehlorax said:   rxblitzrx said:   talonesi said:   kaveh2k said:   what's the best credit card for Amazon purchases?

For rewards? Warranty?

I always and only redeem at $0.01/point -- though there are worse redemption rates.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   tehlorax said:   rxblitzrx said:   talonesi said:   kaveh2k said:   what's the best credit card for Amazon purchases?

For rewards? Warranty?

I always and only redeem at $0.01/point -- though there are worse redemption rates.

agreed. never redeem for less than 1 cpp. Better if you can redeem for 1.33

rated:
imbatman said:   stanolshefski said:   tehlorax said:   rxblitzrx said:   talonesi said:   kaveh2k said:   what's the best credit card for Amazon purchases?

For rewards? Warranty?

agreed. never redeem for less than 1 cpp. Better if you can redeem for 1.33

On what? Travel?

rated:
yes, you need Citi TY premier and redeem for airfare.

rated:
You can redeem TYPs at 1cpp, but it's definitely not as easy as all the programs that just give you a straight 1cpp statement credit. And really, even if you get gift cards at 1cpp, it's slightly less value than a statement credit, since you're forgoing the points on the gift card value. Almost any other points are more valuable to me, point for point.

I use my Forward for Amazon and fast food, but still keep the restaurants category on my usbank cash+ (and will even once the $25 bonus goes away) because it's my biggest spend and just a much easier 5%. As of now, I have no good way to get 1cpp off my TYPs. Eventually, I'll probably have to get a premier for a year just to redeem them.

rated:
GodelianKnot said:   You can redeem TYPs at 1cpp, but it's definitely not as easy as all the programs that just give you a straight 1cpp statement credit. And really, even if you get gift cards at 1cpp, it's slightly less value than a statement credit, since you're forgoing the points on the gift card value. Almost any other points are more valuable to me, point for point.

I use my Forward for Amazon and fast food, but still keep the restaurants category on my usbank cash+ (and will even once the $25 bonus goes away) because it's my biggest spend and just a much easier 5%. As of now, I have no good way to get 1cpp off my TYPs. Eventually, I'll probably have to get a premier for a year just to redeem them.

sure you do. Just read the thread on how to redeem thank you points since they provide detail on how to get 1 cpp with Forward card.

rated:
imbatman said:   GodelianKnot said:   You can redeem TYPs at 1cpp, but it's definitely not as easy as all the programs that just give you a straight 1cpp statement credit. And really, even if you get gift cards at 1cpp, it's slightly less value than a statement credit, since you're forgoing the points on the gift card value. Almost any other points are more valuable to me, point for point.

sure you do. Just read the thread on how to redeem thank you points since they provide detail on how to get 1 cpp with Forward card.

Thanks, but I've read that whole thread and monitor it for any new GC sales. But there's nothing there that gets me to 1cpp currently. I don't regularly buy from any of the stores that do have 1cpp gift cards for non-premier users (Amazon and WalMart are ~.8cpp for me). I also don't have a mortgage or student loan to use that route (and not interested in the effort/risk of faking it). Travel redemption is probably my best option, but I don't fly that often, and have had better point options in the past, so that's not really reliable.

As I said, for some people TYPs are fine, but they're definitely not on the same level of ease as many other programs.

rated:
Nm

rated:
You have not read the whole thread. I have. There are two ways (non GC/ travel) to get 1 cpp. One of them I just read in the quick summary.

I wrote a post that describes both of them. Just read that too.

rated:
GodelianKnot said:   imbatman said:   GodelianKnot said:   You can redeem TYPs at 1cpp, but it's definitely not as easy as all the programs that just give you a straight 1cpp statement credit. And really, even if you get gift cards at 1cpp, it's slightly less value than a statement credit, since you're forgoing the points on the gift card value. Almost any other points are more valuable to me, point for point.

Thanks, but I've read that whole thread and monitor it for any new GC sales. But there's nothing there that gets me to 1cpp currently. I don't regularly buy from any of the stores that do have 1cpp gift cards for non-premier users (Amazon and WalMart are ~.8cpp for me). I also don't have a mortgage or student loan to use that route (and not interested in the effort/risk of faking it). Travel redemption is probably my best option, but I don't fly that often, and have had better point options in the past, so that's not really reliable.

As I said, for some people TYPs are fine, but they're definitely not on the same level of ease as many other programs.

Who says that you need a mortgage or student loan to get a rebate check? All you need is to owe a bank money, and for that bank to accept third-party payments.

Technically, factoring in a stamp, envelope and printing a letter to go with the check ($0.50), you're only getting $0.0098/point on $25 rebate checks from Citi -- $0.0099/point on $50 checks, $0.00993/point on $75 checks, $0.00995/point on $100 checks, etc.

rated:
American Express business gold. 50k after 5k spend.
http://www262.americanexpress.com/business-credit-cards/business...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 191 92 939495117
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014