• filter:
  • 192 93 949596117
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
stanolshefski said:   Who says that you need a mortgage or student loan to get a rebate check? All you need is to owe a bank money, and for that bank to accept third-party payments.
I did say I wasn't interested in the effort or risk of faking such a request to Citi. I realize many people have had success with this, but I don't like the idea of risking (however slight a risk) my banking relationship with citi just to redeem points at a rate I can in any other program with one click.

imbatman said:   You have not read the whole thread. I have. There are two ways (non GC/ travel) to get 1 cpp. One of them I just read in the quick summary.

I wrote a post that describes both of them. Just read that too.


I have read the thread, and none of the options are appealing to me. If you want to stop being pointlessly vague and tell me what method exactly you're referring to, I'll tell you why it doesn't work for me.

Really though, just the fact that you have to read a 57 page thread to get ideas on how to redeem these things tells you that they're not convenient.

rated:
You started off saying "Thanks, but I've read that whole thread and monitor it for any new GC sales. But there's nothing there that gets me to 1cpp currently. "
I was just correcting that. There are options available to you. You have pointed out You are just refusing to take them. I'm perfectly happy letting you get .67 cpp if that's all you want.

rated:
imbatman said:   You started off saying "Thanks, but I've read that whole thread and monitor it for any new GC sales. But there's nothing there that gets me to 1cpp currently. "
I was just correcting that. There are options available to you. You have pointed out You are just refusing to take them. I'm perfectly happy letting you get .67 cpp if that's all you want.


All I've been saying is that TYPs are less valuable than other points because of the hoops/annoyances/risks needed to get to 1cpp in some cases. In my case, I'll eventually redeem them at 1cpp, but I definitely understand some people valuing them at less.

rated:
GodelianKnot said:   stanolshefski said:   Who says that you need a mortgage or student loan to get a rebate check? All you need is to owe a bank money, and for that bank to accept third-party payments.
I did say I wasn't interested in the effort or risk of faking such a request to Citi. I realize many people have had success with this, but I don't like the idea of risking (however slight a risk) my banking relationship with citi just to redeem points at a rate I can in any other program with one click.

imbatman said:   You have not read the whole thread. I have. There are two ways (non GC/ travel) to get 1 cpp. One of them I just read in the quick summary.

I wrote a post that describes both of them. Just read that too.


I have read the thread, and none of the options are appealing to me. If you want to stop being pointlessly vague and tell me what method exactly you're referring to, I'll tell you why it doesn't work for me.

Really though, just the fact that you have to read a 57 page thread to get ideas on how to redeem these things tells you that they're not convenient.

I'm not talking about just depositing the check, you can use it to make CC payments, auto payments, etc.

This has worked fine at many financial institutions.

rated:
let it be let it be whisper words of wisdom
let it be

rated:
GodelianKnot said:   imbatman said:   You started off saying "Thanks, but I've read that whole thread and monitor it for any new GC sales. But there's nothing there that gets me to 1cpp currently. "
I was just correcting that. There are options available to you. You have pointed out You are just refusing to take them. I'm perfectly happy letting you get .67 cpp if that's all you want.


All I've been saying is that TYPs are less valuable than other points because of the hoops/annoyances/risks needed to get to 1cpp in some cases. In my case, I'll eventually redeem them at 1cpp, but I definitely understand some people valuing them at less.


Then don't say there's not a way to get 1 cpp when there is.

rated:
07pilot4me said:   let it be let it be whisper words of wisdom
let it be


LOL!!! that is so cute

rated:
Can someone please recommend the best American Express card to use at costco (no gasoline) ?
The fidelity card seems like the best option but the catch is you don't really get your Cash Back as it's deposited into your retirement accounts.
Thanks!

rated:
dbmd said:   Can someone please recommend the best American Express card to use at costco (no gasoline) ?
The fidelity card seems like the best option but the catch is you don't really get your Cash Back as it's deposited into your retirement accounts.
Thanks!


I think this is discussed a page or two back in this thread. Fido 2% AMEX is fine, you can link it to non-retirement accounts.

rated:
dbmd said:   Can someone please recommend the best American Express card to use at costco (no gasoline) ?
The fidelity card seems like the best option but the catch is you don't really get your Cash Back as it's deposited into your retirement accounts.
Thanks!


The Fidelity AMEX can be deposited in a cash management account (i.e. Cash Back), IRA or 529 plan.

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/american-express-cards

ETA: imbatman beat me to it.

rated:
The FIDO AMEX can even be distributed via check once you hit $250 in redemptions. I did it myself about a month ago.

rated:
imbatman said:   You have not read the whole thread. I have.

Don't know about the former; but I can attest to the latter.

rated:
signed up for fidelity AMEX thanks guys

rated:
The mountain and the squirrel
Had a quarrel;
And the former called the latter ‘Little Prig.’

....Ralph Waldo Emerson




in2dadark said:   imbatman said:   You have not read the whole thread. I have.

Don't know about the former; but I can attest to the latter.

rated:
could someone give me a brief summary of their opinion on multiple Chase cards?

is three or four promo deals in a couple years a slam dunk --- or are they tighter than that?

rated:
It appears that I currently have four personal and one business Chase card.

rated:
I had Sapphire Visa (2 years), Amazon (4 years), United (Sep 2012), Southwest (Apr 2012) and applied (Mar 2013) for Sapphire MC, Marriott and Hyatt and they approved 2 out of 3.They even asked me to choose whichever I want to get approved.

rated:
thanks for the replies ---- I only hold a couple of cards --- so looks like I'll get the Sapphire preferred for the transferable 40k

rated:
What's the current hotness in rewards cards? Started a new job recently and am going to have my share of work expenses (reimbursed) that I'd like to take advantage of. I currently only have 1 card and its through my bank with no rewards (doesn't cost me anything either).

rated:
z4ckm0rris said:   What's the current hotness in rewards cards? Started a new job recently and am going to have my share of work expenses (reimbursed) that I'd like to take advantage of. I currently only have 1 card and its through my bank with no rewards (doesn't cost me anything either).

tons. you want cash or points? If you want points what kind?
Start with Fidelity 2% AMEX, or Priceline 2% VISA, go from there.

rated:
imbatman said:   z4ckm0rris said:   What's the current hotness in rewards cards? Started a new job recently and am going to have my share of work expenses (reimbursed) that I'd like to take advantage of. I currently only have 1 card and its through my bank with no rewards (doesn't cost me anything either).

tons. you want cash or points? If you want points what kind?
Start with Fidelity 2% AMEX, or Priceline 2% AMEX, go from there.


I just want whatever's going to give me the most benefit. Cash Back wouldn't be so bad. Points for flights either. The card will most likely be used for gas, restaurants, and any other work related items that I'm going to expense. That and any big purchases I might make throughout the year. We're not talking huge money though.

rated:
imbatman said:   
Start with Fidelity 2% AMEX, or Priceline 2% AMEX, go from there.


The Priceline card is a VISA, not an AMEX.........

rated:
sayhey said:   imbatman said:   
Start with Fidelity 2% AMEX, or Priceline 2% AMEX, go from there.


The Priceline card is a VISA, not an AMEX.........


duh.
distracted.

rated:
z4ckm0rris said:   imbatman said:   z4ckm0rris said:   What's the current hotness in rewards cards? Started a new job recently and am going to have my share of work expenses (reimbursed) that I'd like to take advantage of. I currently only have 1 card and its through my bank with no rewards (doesn't cost me anything either).

tons. you want cash or points? If you want points what kind?
Start with Fidelity 2% AMEX, or Priceline 2% AMEX, go from there.


I just want whatever's going to give me the most benefit. Cash Back wouldn't be so bad. Points for flights either. The card will most likely be used for gas, restaurants, and any other work related items that I'm going to expense. That and any big purchases I might make throughout the year. We're not talking huge money though.


AORs!
Given your spending and preference, also look into Chase Sapphire (2x points on restaurants), Chase Ink Bold (2x points on gas, maybe multipliers on work items?). UR points are flexible (can be transferred to hotels/airlines or redeemd for cash/giftcards).
Also look at Citi Forward (5x restaurants), a plethora of cards that offer 5%/5x at gas stations.

If you want more advice, pick an airline and a hotel chain.

rated:
Wow, thanks for the update, that's great information.

rated:
Chase Freedom

Earn $100 Bonus Cash Back after you make $500 in purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers.
5% Cash Back on up to $1,500 spent between Apr 1 and Jun 30, 2013 at restaurants, movie theaters, and Lowe's®.
You'll enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months like gas stations, restaurants and Amazon.com. It's free and easy to activate your bonus each quarter!
Unlimited 1% Cash Back on all other purchases.
No annual fee and rewards never expire.

Apply

Chase Freedom + Chase Checking = Even Better Rewards
You will also earn a 10% Bonus on all new points earned with your Chase Freedom card during billing cycles within the previous Year when you, as the primary cardmember, were the sole or joint owner of an open Chase checking account.

rated:
Yes 0% balance transfer but there is a 3% fee

rated:
Please excuse my complete ignorance, but I am hoping to find some answers to a few CC questions. Here's the scenario: I pastor a Church and we are looking to make a semi-large purchase of building materials (3K) and I want to do it as cheaply as possible. Currently we have no credit cards. I've considered getting the Chase Ink Bold and getting additional cards on the same account (5 free with the Ink Bold account) for other employees at the Church. Then I want to use the card to purchase gift cards at a reduced rate online (5-7% less). But to qualify for the bonus ($500), we need 5K in spending for the first 3 months. We can make that easily if the other 4 cards are used by the other employees for their upcoming travel expenditures. So here are my questions (again I apologize for my ignorance, but I couldn't find any of the answers to these questions on the Chase site):

1) Will I earn 1 pt. per dollar in addition to the bonus for the first $5000 in purchases, thus making the total amount of Cash Back for spending $5000 actually $550?

2) Will each dollar spent by the other employees of the Church count toward the $5000 or is each card's rewards counted separately?

3) Is the $95 annual fee assessed against each card or is there only one $95 card fee for all the cards on that account?


Thanks for any info you can provide.

rated:
1) Yes. You can get more if you use the card for category bonuses.
2) all dollars spent will give you points, If the 5 employees each spend 1000, you will get 5000 pts
3) one 95 fee.

rated:
And if you go through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal, I think you have the opportunity for a double/triple dip if you can buy from a big box store. First, buy Home Improvement cards. Then buy Lowes gift cards with the Home Improvement cards. Finally, the triple dip would be if you could place the actual order online.

I may have the order reversed, or it might not work at all. I haven't had coffee yet. But obviously do your own research anyway...

rated:
solaphant said:   Please excuse my complete ignorance, but I am hoping to find some answers to a few CC questions. Here's the scenario: I pastor a Church and we are looking to make a semi-large purchase of building materials (3K) and I want to do it as cheaply as possible. Currently we have no credit cards. I've considered getting the Chase Ink Bold and getting additional cards on the same account (5 free with the Ink Bold account) for other employees at the Church. Then I want to use the card to purchase gift cards at a reduced rate online (5-7% less). But to qualify for the bonus ($500), we need 5K in spending for the first 3 months. We can make that easily if the other 4 cards are used by the other employees for their upcoming travel expenditures. So here are my questions (again I apologize for my ignorance, but I couldn't find any of the answers to these questions on the Chase site):

1) Will I earn 1 pt. per dollar in addition to the bonus for the first $5000 in purchases, thus making the total amount of Cash Back for spending $5000 actually $550?

2) Will each dollar spent by the other employees of the Church count toward the $5000 or is each card's rewards counted separately?

3) Is the $95 annual fee assessed against each card or is there only one $95 card fee for all the cards on that account?


Thanks for any info you can provide.


If your eyes are set on the Ink Bold, it's fine, but there is one alternative. The cap for the card is 1/4 of what Chase offers, but you get upto 10% back (maybe 15% total since the base gives 5%) on certain stores, 3% back on gas (you can do this with Ink Bold, too, but not all gas stations qualify), and no AF. I'm saying this because I kind of regret getting the Ink Bold. UR points (including the UR portal churn...but you can do this with Freedom although payout rate might be different from the Freedom to CSP to Ink Bold) & ability to convert other miles & points are nice, but it still costs $95/yr.

rated:
Hi all,

I currently have Chase Freedom, Bank of America CashReward, Discover CashBack, TruEaring American Express, Citi Divident.
Since I will be spending a lot of money on Hilton for my wedding (>$15,000). So, I applied and got Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card so that I can utilize them all (10pt per $1 Hilton spending)

However, when it comes to regular, every day charges at restaurant, gas, grocery,... I think I will use other cards rather than the HHonor Reserve

Here is my thinking:
1) With other cards (Chase Freedom, Bank of America CashReward, Discover CashBack, TruEaring American Express, Citi Divident), I can get an average of 2% (because of the mix of 5% quarterly category and %1 on everything else), that would be $20 for $1000
2) With Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve, I can get an average of 3pt per $1. That would be 3000 points per $1000. And it looks like 1 Hilton HHonor point only worths an average of 0.5 cent from my personal research. So, 3000 only worth $15

Any suggestion/other thinking is highly appreciated.

Thanks

rated:
Which is better: fido AMEX or Priceline? I do not currently have an account with fidelity.

rated:
catanpirate said:   Which is better: fido AMEX or Priceline? I do not currently have an account with fidelity.

Priceline is accepted where fido is not. Fido gives you access to AMEX purchase protection.
It's not difficult to get an account with fidelity (I set mine up the day I activated my credit card).

So the decision about which is better is up to you.
I prefer Fido.

rated:
I thought the Fidelity card purchase protection was all serviced by FIA Card Services and American Express has little or nothing to do with any of the benefits, customer service, etc.?

rated:
AlphabetBackward said:   I thought the Fidelity card purchase protection was all serviced by FIA Card Services and American Express has little or nothing to do with any of the benefits, customer service, etc.?

You are actually quite right...only cards that are directly issued by American Express have the actual American Express perks such as purchase protection, warranty extension, etc...
In the case of Fidelity for example, FIA Card Services provides the various perks...not AMEX...

The card goes through AMEX's network when you use it...and that's it's total involvement with AMEX...all other aspects of the Fidelity card is through fia itself...

rated:
Another benefit of the Fidelity AMEX provided by FIA Card Services other than the 2% (great for those who go to Costco) is that since it's a AMEX Network card it qualifies for the AMEX Network offers (such as the annual Small Business Sunday spending offer, AMEX Sync spending offers, etc.) Still, other than the Network processing, all of the protection benefits and the billing is done by FIA.

The Priceline Visa is great due to the higher acceptance of Visa, and if you can get it as a Visa Signature (min $5000 CL) then you get slightly better protection benefits to what the Fidelity AMEX has.

I recommend Fidelity AMEX if you need a AMEX or shop at Costco. But if you don't shop at Costco, then the Priceline Visa is better (min 2500 pts to redeem towards a charge, versus Fidelity AMEX min 5000 pts for $50 to Fidelity account).

rated:
Hey guys, I have around 10K expenses coming up in the next 2-3 months which included buying 2 international tickets (in addition to the 2.5K every month expenses). Which card would you recommend for maximizing rewards? Cheers!

rated:
jgooner22 said:   Hey guys, I have around 10K expenses coming up in the next 2-3 months which included buying 2 international tickets (in addition to the 2.5K every month expenses). Which card would you recommend for maximizing rewards? Cheers!

AMEX Gold Charge cards (3x MR on airfare purchases)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (2.14x UR on airfare purchases)
PenFed Travel AMEX (5x points on airfare purchases)

rated:
imbatman said:   jgooner22 said:   Hey guys, I have around 10K expenses coming up in the next 2-3 months which included buying 2 international tickets (in addition to the 2.5K every month expenses). Which card would you recommend for maximizing rewards? Cheers!

AMEX Gold Charge cards (3x MR on airfare purchases)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (2.14x UR on airfare purchases)
PenFed Travel AMEX (5x points on airfare purchases)


With $10K in expenses, a mini AOR might be in order to rack up several signup bonuses -- so you might want to do all of them.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred has a nice 40K signup bonus, sometimes the AMEX PRG has a 50K or 75K signup bonus offer, and that PenFed card has a 20K signup bonus.

I might also consider the Barclays Arrival Card or their NFL card for a ~$400 signup bonus:

Arrival Card: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1265825/
NFL Card: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1254892/

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 192 93 949596117
  • Page


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014