• filter:
  • 193 94 959697120
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
stanolshefski said:   imbatman said:   jgooner22 said:   Hey guys, I have around 10K expenses coming up in the next 2-3 months which included buying 2 international tickets (in addition to the 2.5K every month expenses). Which card would you recommend for maximizing rewards? Cheers!

AMEX Gold Charge cards (3x MR on airfare purchases)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (2.14x UR on airfare purchases)
PenFed Travel AMEX (5x points on airfare purchases)

With $10K in expenses, a mini AOR might be in order to rack up several signup bonuses -- so you might want to do all of them.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred has a nice 40K signup bonus, sometimes the AMEX PRG has a 50K or 75K signup bonus offer, and that PenFed card has a 20K signup bonus.

I might also consider the Barclays Arrival Card or their NFL card for a ~$400 signup bonus:

Arrival Card: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1265825/
NFL Card: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1254892/

the Arrival card is ~$440 if redeemed for travel (10% of points back when redeemed for statement credit for travel), but only $200 if redeemed for non-travel credit.
the NFL card is a flat $400.
Pick the one that's the best fit based on if you're traveling or not.

Also, the AMEX Biz Gold has a 50k after 5,000 spend offer right now link

rated:
stanolshefski said:   imbatman said:   jgooner22 said:   Hey guys, I have around 10K expenses coming up in the next 2-3 months which included buying 2 international tickets (in addition to the 2.5K every month expenses). Which card would you recommend for maximizing rewards? Cheers!

With $10K in expenses, a mini AOR might be in order to rack up several signup bonuses -- so you might want to do all of them.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred has a nice 40K signup bonus, sometimes the AMEX PRG has a 50K or 75K signup bonus offer, and that PenFed card has a 20K signup bonus.

I might also consider the Barclays Arrival Card or their NFL card for a ~$400 signup bonus:

Thanks, guys. I already gor the NFL card a few days back. Will go with Chase & AMEX this time. Cheers.

rated:
Priceline gives 2% on everything. When not busy with bonus sign ups, this is the card! When using AMEX for bonuses, I find that AMEX is not accepted in some of the merchants I frequent. This is the backup (for me)

rated:
Which card do you guys use for everyday use? I generally use Chase, but looking to see if I can do better than 1% on everyday purchases. Is Priceline any good?

rated:
jgooner22 said:   Which card do you guys use for everyday use? I generally use Chase, but looking to see if I can do better than 1% on everyday purchases. Is Priceline any good?
My everyday (non-bonus) card is the Fidelity AMEX.

My other cards that I use are:

* Target RedCard - 5% off Target (and free shipping and extended return period)
* AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 6% for groceries
* Citi Forward - 5 points/$ for Amazon.com, bookstores, and restaurants
* Sallie Mae Mastercard - 5% for bookstores, groceries and gas

rated:
imbatman said:   stanolshefski said:   imbatman said:   jgooner22 said:   Hey guys, I have around 10K expenses coming up in the next 2-3 months which included buying 2 international tickets (in addition to the 2.5K every month expenses). Which card would you recommend for maximizing rewards? Cheers!

the Arrival card is ~$440 if redeemed for travel (10% of points back when redeemed for statement credit for travel), but only $200 if redeemed for non-travel credit.
the NFL card is a flat $400.
Pick the one that's the best fit based on if you're traveling or not.

Also, the AMEX Biz Gold has a 50k after 5,000 spend offer right now link

There's now a 75K offer.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/amazing-deal-alert-75k-bonus-for...

rated:
direct link linkfor 75k after 5k spend on BIZ AMEX Gold

rated:
Dead? Shows 50k points now...

imbatman said:   direct link linkfor 75k after 5k spend on BIZ AMEX Gold

rated:
Do any providers typically offer a higher credit limit than others? Have decent credit, low-mid 700s want a card with highest possible credit limit and 0% on purchases for a minimum of 6 months.

Already have 2 AMEX so maybe have to look elsewhere

rated:
icecube said:   Dead? Shows 50k points now...

imbatman said:   direct link linkfor 75k after 5k spend on BIZ AMEX Gold

It appears to be dead.

rated:
I too have no idea. Maybe we could find out from anecdotal information reported here. I have $25 k on AMEX, BOA/old Schwab $25k (I cancelled it a month ago), Chase $18k. Capital one $7.5k. The capital one is barely 10 days of our household gross income. I had applied for a credit increase on capital one, but was denied (few months back) for the reason "we do not have a policy for approving credit for customer initiated request". I love my AMEX Costco for the ability to use without having to worry about maxing it out, unlike our capital one. My Credit score is around 800. I am not sure if credit score decides the credit limit or monthly income. What is your AMEX card limits?

newnorley said:   Do any providers typically offer a higher credit limit than others? Have decent credit, low-mid 700s want a card with highest possible credit limit and 0% on purchases for a minimum of 6 months.

Already have 2 AMEX so maybe have to look elsewhere

rated:
Capone you need to email exec office to get increase. High limit card would depend on what your current limits are, but penfed is generous with limits

rated:
Hey everyone, just bought a house and will be doing lots of home improvements. Windows, kitchen, possibly water heater and furnace. Can you guys recommend any card(s)? The only cards I have at the moment and were opened a long time ago are the Chase Freedom, Bank of America card and a Blue from AMEX.

rated:
ninetwosix said:   Hey everyone, just bought a house and will be doing lots of home improvements. Windows, kitchen, possibly water heater and furnace. Can you guys recommend any card(s)? The only cards I have at the moment and were opened a long time ago are the Chase Freedom, Bank of America card and a Blue from AMEX.

Are you buying stuff from Home Depot or Lowe's? If you are, CCs with grocery or drug store bonus categories might be of value to you if you are willing to purchase gift cards to make your purchases.

rated:
U should get a debit card

rated:
Did my first AOR at the beginning of March, went a little overboard and signed up for 8 cards (got them all) and I've hit all the min spends already. Thinking of applying for 3 more cards in June for the following reasons: 1) travelling to Europe at the end of June, will use a cc for most expenses over there, 2) I have VRs and MoneyPaks readily available in my area for min/manufactured spend and 3) i'm going to HI in Feb of next year, want to start accumulating Hilton points. I know people are down on Hilton after the devaluation but I like that there are 4 Hilton cards.
Cards I'm thinking of getting: Chase Ink Plus (no forex), Citi Hilton Signature, AMEX Hilton.

Thoughts/feedback?

rated:
I didn't see a question in there. So. Sounds good.
The Hilton wailaea [sic] is a good use of Hilton points and two free nights using citi card.

I would pick the citi Hilton card yay gives gold status an two free nights rather than the Hilton that gives 40k pts. The two free nights in HI will cost more than 40 pts. Plus free breakfast is nice too.

rated:
BBPlaya13 said:   Did my first AOR at the beginning of March, went a little overboard and signed up for 8 cards (got them all) and I've hit all the min spends already. Thinking of applying for 3 more cards in June for the following reasons: 1) travelling to Europe at the end of June, will use a cc for most expenses over there, 2) I have VRs and MoneyPaks readily available in my area for min/manufactured spend and 3) i'm going to HI in Feb of next year, want to start accumulating Hilton points. I know people are down on Hilton after the devaluation but I like that there are 4 Hilton cards.
Cards I'm thinking of getting: Chase Ink Plus (no forex), Citi Hilton Signature, AMEX Hilton.

Thoughts/feedback?

What where the six cards you applied for in March? Any pre existing cards?

rated:
It is great to use Hilton Credit Card for shopping and paying your memberships. I am using this credit card.I always pick my Hilton credit card for my travel and gym membership payments. I have no idea about a free night in HI if I shop for 40K points. This is really a wonderful aspect of using this credit card. And I would always suggest to use Hilton Credit Card for any type of payments. I would also like to know that any Cash Back with this? My friends told me that they get CashBack.

rated:
^^ credit Pete. The Hilton cards do not give CashBack

rated:
Preexisting cards: USAA Cash Rewards World MC & Fido AMEX.
March AOR: Chase SW Personal & Business, Citi AA, Barclays US Premier & Frontier, US Bank CC Rewards Signature, AMEX PRG & Delta Gold Biz.

I was Keen on the AMEX Hiltons (Regular + Surpass) and Citi Signature to get the 5th night free from Hilton - as I understand it the Reserve's 2 certificates don't count towards that. When I look on Hilton's site nights in HI go for 40k-60k in Feb.

rated:
5th night free is either from the AMEX (axon award).
You'll have access to axon and glon awards with either AMEX.
You can then use two free nights from citi reserve to make it 7 nights. If you have a trip in mind the citi reserve will be more beneficial to you than the regular signature.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   ninetwosix said:   Hey everyone, just bought a house and will be doing lots of home improvements. Windows, kitchen, possibly water heater and furnace. Can you guys recommend any card(s)? The only cards I have at the moment and were opened a long time ago are the Chase Freedom, Bank of America card and a Blue from AMEX.

Are you buying stuff from Home Depot or Lowe's? If you are, CCs with grocery or drug store bonus categories might be of value to you if you are willing to purchase gift cards to make your purchases.

Most likely Lowes and I will look into it.

rated:
Lowe's 5% off card.. But you can also probably find Lowe's gift cards at a greater discount.
Edit: Also: http://www.lowes.com/cd_Coupon+Registration_253641591_

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   Lowe's 5% off card.. But you can also probably find Lowe's gift cards at a greater discount.
Edit: Also: http://www.lowes.com/cd_Coupon+Registration_253641591_

Got the coupon already thanks, will look into the card.

rated:
A top Travel credit cards should have affordable charges that are more than validated by its advantages and advantages.

rated:
FWIW Fort Knox Visa
5% Gas / 1.25% on everything else - has been changed to 5% Gas / 1% on everything else. I think it was an unannounced change a few months ago, and the 1% is reflected on my cc statement. Their cc is much less attractive than what it was a year ago.

rated:
The Priceline card shows up in the FAQ as 2% Cash Back. But when I click the link, on price line web site it shows 5X for name your price and 1% for everything else. What gives?

rated:
upnorth85 said:   The Priceline card shows up in the FAQ as 2% Cash Back. But when I click the link, on price line web site it shows 5X for name your price and 1% for everything else. What gives?

In the thread for that card, people are reporting that it is no longer available:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1125529/

rated:
Thanks very much for the correct link.
dukerau said:   upnorth85 said:   The Priceline card shows up in the FAQ as 2% Cash Back. But when I click the link, on price line web site it shows 5X for name your price and 1% for everything else. What gives?

In the thread for that card, people are reporting that it is no longer available:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1125529/
muum

rated:
Thinking about doing a mini-AOR to maximize travel rewards. I prefer not getting cards with annual fees...here's my list of cards to apply for.

Airfare: PenFed AMEX - 5x rewards on airfare (I use United for flying but I've got both personal and business cards bonuses already...so there wont be another free year because Chase doesn't allow churning)
Hotel: Citi Hilton HHonors - 6x Hilton points on Hilton stays (I stay at Hilton properties ~75 nights a year)
Car rentals: I use hertz for car rentals and currently renting on AMEX SimplyCash because of annual Open Rewards on Hertz rentals. I don't have any good ideas here...will take suggestions

I'm looking at applying on Friday since its end of month and it'll minimize the hit on scores since its close to June.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   jgooner22 said:   Which card do you guys use for everyday use? I generally use Chase, but looking to see if I can do better than 1% on everyday purchases. Is Priceline any good?
My everyday (non-bonus) card is the Fidelity AMEX.

My other cards that I use are:

* Target RedCard - 5% off Target (and free shipping and extended return period)
* AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 6% for groceries
* Citi Forward - 5 points/$ for Amazon.com, bookstores, and restaurants
* Sallie Mae Mastercard - 5% for bookstores, groceries and gas

Wow! Thanks for the Sallie Mae card tip! Been looking for a good 5% groceries card. The cap is a bit low (250/per month) but I'll add it to my AOR. I don't have any card from Barclays so I should be OK.

rated:
Also a bit OT, but is there a no-fee debit card that offers 5x rewards? I have a provider that accepts debit cards but not credit cards and my spend there is substantial on an annual basis.

rated:
TheWalL said:   Also a bit OT, but is there a no-fee debit card that offers 5x rewards? I have a provider that accepts debit cards but not credit cards and my spend there is substantial on an annual basis.

The only debit rewards I know of are at most 1x. Due to Dodd-Frank, I wouldn't expect any improvement and would actually expect these to go away eventually.

Suntrust offers a Delta debit card that earns 1 Skymile per $1 spent. Annual fee is $75. I think there's a 5000 mile sign up offer. UFB Direct offers a debit card that rewards 1 American Airline mile per $2 spent. No annual fee.

rated:
TheWalL said:   
Hotel: Citi Hilton HHonors - 6x Hilton points on Hilton stays (I stay at Hilton properties ~75 nights a year)
Car rentals:

Should you pony up the annual fee for either the AMEX HHonors Surpass ($75) or the Citi Reserve ($95) (better if you stay in hiltons overseas due to no forex fees) if you stay 75 nights. The earn rates are 12 points per dollar and 10 points per dollar respectively.

Car rentals, I think the chase Sapphire, Hyatt, and Marriott cards all are 2X at car rentals. If you get an AMEX Biz card w/OPEN Savings and spend over $500/calendar yr at Hertz you get 5% Cash Back, 10% if you spend over 2500 w/Hertz.

EDIT - I see you knew the OPEN angle.

rated:
I'm looking to replace my every day card. I have a few questions:
Currently I have:
AMEX Blue Preferred for groceries and gas (6%/3%)
Chase Amazon (3% on Amazon, not used much)
Chase Sapphire (2% on restaurants and travel, I use this for my lunches and when I eat out without the wife)
Citi Forward (5 points per $ at restaurants when I go out with the wife)
United Mileage Plus (when we book trips to save on baggage fees)
Fidelity AMEX (2% for everything goes into my Fidelity account, so I use this for everything else.)

I'm buying a house within a year and so I'm out of the market. I don't really need the Fidelity card any time soon so I'm looking for an all-purpose card that gets at least 2% Cash Back for everything.
Also, I was considering getting the Target 5% card since we tend to shop there a lot. Will opening two cards within a year of applying for a mortgage ding my credit?
Thanks!

rated:
pooter03 said:   I'm looking to replace my every day card. I have a few questions:
Currently I have:
AMEX Blue Preferred for groceries and gas (6%/3%)
Chase Amazon (3% on Amazon, not used much)
Chase Sapphire (2% on restaurants and travel, I use this for my lunches and when I eat out without the wife)
Citi Forward (5 points per $ at restaurants when I go out with the wife)
United Mileage Plus (when we book trips to save on baggage fees)
Fidelity AMEX (2% for everything goes into my Fidelity account, so I use this for everything else.)

I'm buying a house within a year and so I'm out of the market. I don't really need the Fidelity card any time soon so I'm looking for an all-purpose card that gets at least 2% Cash Back for everything.
Also, I was considering getting the Target 5% card since we tend to shop there a lot. Will opening two cards within a year of applying for a mortgage ding my credit?
Thanks!

you won't do better than 2% on everything, so I would just stick with the Fidelity 2% card if you want straight CashBack.
The Barclay Arrival card gives 2.2% EQUIVALENT, but only if redeeming for travel. And it has an annual fee. You'd have to spend a lot, and only redeem for travel in order for it to be better than the FIDO AMEX.
the answer to your last question depends. When was the last time you applied for a credit card (s)? If you've had those for a while (years), then applying for a new card probably wouldn't hurt.

as for Target - you could get the red card. Or you could buy Target gift cards for a discount. Currently 5.2% off at Raise.com . Couple that with Fido 2%, and you're at 7.2% off at target.

rated:
I signed up for the United and Chase about 6 months ago to get enough bonus miles for the honeymoon. I guess I could keep the Fidelity account open and just transfer the funds to my checking/savings every time I redeem the rewards.
As for Target, I've been buying gift cards at the grocery store for 6% Cash Back with my AMEX Blue. Problem is I don't always have them with me, or I forget to buy them sometimes.

rated:
pooter03 said:   I signed up for the United and Chase about 6 months ago to get enough bonus miles for the honeymoon. I guess I could keep the Fidelity account open and just transfer the funds to my checking/savings every time I redeem the rewards.
As for Target, I've been buying gift cards at the grocery store for 6% Cash Back with my AMEX Blue. Problem is I don't always have them with me, or I forget to buy them sometimes.

I really don't understand people's aversion to Fidelity's CMA. It functions essentially as a checking account. It even comes with checks, and transferring money through it is a breeze. I use it as my main "checking" account.

rated:
Sesq said:   Should you pony up the annual fee for either the AMEX HHonors Surpass ($75) or the Citi Reserve ($95) (better if you stay in hiltons overseas due to no forex fees) if you stay 75 nights. The earn rates are 12 points per dollar and 10 points per dollar respectively.

Last time I did the math (back in 2010), the numbers didn't favor paying the fee for AMEX Surpass for ~65 nights a year. Back then it was 6x points per dollar as well. I should run the numbers again. Also looks like AMEX program has changed if its offering 12x points now.

ETA: Unfortunately, I don't get to travel overseas in my current role. Otherwise, that AMEX Surpass was a no-brainer.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 193 94 959697120
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014