• filter:
  • 195 96 979899117
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
HBax said:   Has anyone (here or anywhere) compiled a list of which CashBack/reward credit cards count WalMart superstores (the ones with the grocery stores) as a grocery store when charged ?

It varies by WalMart location. You'll have to test your local ones. The Visa MCC lookup tool has been correct for Visa cards in my experience, but not necessarily accurate for AMEX.

rated:
HBax said:   Has anyone (here or anywhere) compiled a list of which CashBack/reward credit cards count WalMart superstores (the ones with the grocery stores) as a grocery store when charged ?

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the credit cards and everything to do with how the store is coded. I believe all Super WalMarts are coded as Supermarket/Grocery Store.

edit: This should tell you for sure
http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/usa/supplier/ListLoadAction....

rated:
HBax said:   Has anyone (here or anywhere) compiled a list of which CashBack/reward credit cards count WalMart superstores (the ones with the grocery stores) as a grocery store when charged ?

There's a couple of 6-month or 12-months promo CCs with VISA or MC, but permanent one you can get is Sallie Mae ($250/month) as far as I know...you are after the grocery category as a bonus category, yes?

rated:
tehlorax said:   HBax said:   Has anyone (here or anywhere) compiled a list of which CashBack/reward credit cards count WalMart superstores (the ones with the grocery stores) as a grocery store when charged ?

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the credit cards and everything to do with how the store is coded. I believe all Super WalMarts are coded as Supermarket/Grocery Store.

edit: This should tell you for sure
http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/usa/supplier/ListLoadAction....


The first statement is correct, the second is not always correct.
I have a super WalMart that VISA codes as Grocery, and AMEX codes as Merchandise & Supplies - Wholesale Stores
I have another super WalMart that VISA codes as DISCOUNT STORES/WAREHOUSE/WHOLESALE, and AMEX codes as Merchandise & Supplies - Wholesale Stores

it just depends, and a compiled list will never be completed so long as they keep adding new walmarts. Good luck.

rated:
HBax said:   Has anyone (here or anywhere) compiled a list of which CashBack/reward credit cards count WalMart superstores (the ones with the grocery stores) as a grocery store when charged ?

I have first hand experience that Penfed Platinum Rewards card will give you 3%/3 points for your purchases at Wal-Mart if it is coded as a grocery store, and it is discussed in the FW thread. Most likely, the other cards with higher rewards for groceries specifically exclude Wal-Mart even though it may be coded as a grocery store. I distinctly remember Chase giving 5% rewards on Wal-Mart purchases on a couple of now defunct cards, and then later modifying the reward program to specifically exclude Wal-Mart from the higher rewards. Please let us know if you find any others that don't exclude Wal-Mart.

rated:
tulsastorm said:   I have first hand experience that Penfed Platinum Rewards card will give you 3%/3 points for your purchases at Wal-Mart if it is coded as a grocery store, and it is discussed in the FW thread. Most likely, the other cards with higher rewards for groceries specifically exclude Wal-Mart even though it may be coded as a grocery store. I distinctly remember Chase giving 5% rewards on Wal-Mart purchases on a couple of now defunct cards, and then later modifying the reward program to specifically exclude Wal-Mart from the higher rewards. Please let us know if you find any others that don't exclude Wal-Mart.

Unless you are grandfathered in, isn't the PenFed 3% grocery offer valid for 4 months (10/31/2013), 2% thereafter?

The only one I heard was Citi 5x on groceries/drugstores/gas for 12 months that you can get at a branch (Forward or Preferred or something). This might have been a fluke so that people stop applying.

rated:
# First: Thanks everybody for the responses.


# Second:

tehlorax said:   This should tell you for sure
http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/usa/supplier/ListLoadAction....

that is cool.

Both of the WalMart Superstores near me, as well as the two a little further away, come up as 5411s.

So should Mastercard be the same as VISA ?


# Third:

vagrants said:   There's a couple of 6-month or 12-months promo CCs with VISA or MC, but permanent one you can get is Sallie Mae ($250/month) as far as I know...you are after the grocery category as a bonus category, yes?
Yes !

I’ll checkout the card, but does that mean they only pay CashBack on the first $250/month ?


# Fourth, I can test the two close to me for AMEX as I have a Blue Cash that I switched to about 7-9 years ago.

So, which one of the many loooong threads about the Blue Cash should I read to determine what I can take advantage of ?

rated:
vagrants said:   Unless you are grandfathered in, isn't the PenFed 3% grocery offer valid for 4 months (10/31/2013), 2% thereafter?

The only one I heard was Citi 5x on groceries/drugstores/gas for 12 months that you can get at a branch (Forward or Preferred or something). This might have been a fluke so that people stop applying.


Oops, I forgot about that thread. I have the chip & PIN card, so it appears I'm grandfathered in for the time being. Then I would say the OP would be better off applying for a 2% on everything card. I would recommend Priceline, but that is not available to new applicants either. That basically leaves Fidelity AMEX. It sucks that all the good rewards cards are disappearing. Is it really that unprofitable for the credit card companies? My strategy is to apply for the good ones as soon as they are offered and ride it as long as it lasts.

rated:
HBax said:   
Both of the WalMart Superstores near me, as well as the two a little further away, come up as 5411s.

So should Mastercard be the same as VISA ?


It's believe to be the same.

HBax said:   
Iíll checkout the card, but does that mean they only pay CashBack on the first $250/month ?


Yes, $250/month on groceries/gas (not limited @ a pump) and $750 on bookstore purchases. In my experience, Target qualifies as grocery category.

HBax said:   
# Fourth, I can test the two close to me for AMEX as I have a Blue Cash that I switched to about 7-9 years ago.

So, which one of the many loooong threads about the Blue Cash should I read to determine what I can take advantage of ?


Both

rated:
What is the best card to use at costco for non-gas purchases ? What about WalMart ? (my Ammex statement shows WalMart as Wholesale)

rated:
dbmd said:   What is the best card to use at costco for non-gas purchases ? What about WalMart ? (my Ammex statement shows WalMart as Wholesale)

costco - Fido 2% AMEX IMO
WalMart - if you find a WalMart that VISA codes as grocery (though AMEX may not), then get a VISA card that have a grocery bonus category (Sallie Mae gives 5% for $250 spend per month).

rated:
imbatman said:   dbmd said:   What is the best card to use at costco for non-gas purchases ? What about WalMart ? (my Ammex statement shows WalMart as Wholesale)

costco - Fido 2% AMEX IMO
Fidelity AMEX does not give Cash Back, right ?

WalMart - if you find a WalMart that VISA codes as grocery (though AMEX may not), then get a VISA card that have a grocery bonus category (Sallie Mae gives 5% for $250 spend per month).


Can anyone confirm if Sallie Mae gives 5% for WalMart ?

rated:
dbmd said:   imbatman said:   dbmd said:   What is the best card to use at costco for non-gas purchases ? What about WalMart ? (my Ammex statement shows WalMart as Wholesale)

costco - Fido 2% AMEX IMO
Fidelity AMEX does not give Cash Back, right ?

WalMart - if you find a WalMart that VISA codes as grocery (though AMEX may not), then get a VISA card that have a grocery bonus category (Sallie Mae gives 5% for $250 spend per month).


Can anyone confirm if Sallie Mae gives 5% for WalMart ?


If it is a WalMart Super Center (WalMart with groceries) you will receive the 5% rebate.

rated:
dbmd said:   imbatman said:   dbmd said:   What is the best card to use at costco for non-gas purchases ? What about WalMart ? (my Ammex statement shows WalMart as Wholesale)

costco - Fido 2% AMEX IMO
Fidelity AMEX does not give Cash Back, right ?

WalMart - if you find a WalMart that VISA codes as grocery (though AMEX may not), then get a VISA card that have a grocery bonus category (Sallie Mae gives 5% for $250 spend per month).


Can anyone confirm if Sallie Mae gives 5% for WalMart ?


it depends, read all of this page for the reasons why. starting at the top.

rated:
Thinking of doing product change for my citi diamond preferred. 0% BT is long over and Citi Easy Deals are a waste of my time and effort. What Citi card would you recommend? Have you done a product change with them before? (Is it even possible?)

rated:
What I felt that credit card is one of the best tools for building and repairing credit. Making on-time payments and maintaining a credit card utilization rate under 30 percent are smart moves for good credit health. And please make sure that your credit cards work for you instead of the other way around is part of becoming a smart and savvy consumer.

rated:
AMEX SimplyCash (biz) and TrueEarnings (personal and biz) cards are missing from QS for gas rewards.

rated:
EugeneV said:   AMEX SimplyCash (biz) and TrueEarnings (personal and biz) cards are missing from QS for gas rewards.
Go ahead and update it. Nothing is stopping you.

rated:
I did, they just didn't appear right away because QS is under moderation. But your obnoxious comment is not constructive.

rated:
thinwalletfatdreams said:   OK, first post for me, so please be nice.
I've searched for this but can't seem to find. How about adding info on what credit score is needed to obtain each of these cards? Some of us are still working on building ours up.

Thanks for all the info and the help!




Forums are created to share information. So think if You want to share information that will provide better result to some or brings a ray of hope then why not.

rated:
Hey guys, is there any credit card that I could churn for the Hilton group of hotels? I am looking to spend 2-4 nights there and was wondering if a CC could help me? Cheers!

rated:
jgooner22 said:   Hey guys, is there any credit card that I could churn for the Hilton group of hotels? I am looking to spend 2-4 nights there and was wondering if a CC could help me? Cheers!
Citi HHonors reserve card - spend $2,500 get 2 free weekend nights
10 Hilton points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels, 5 points per $1 on airlines or car rentals & 3 points per $1 for everything else

or if you're looking to spend a lot on get the points for the free nights

AMEX HHonors Surpass card - 40,000 bonus points after 1st purchase and an additional 20,000 points after spending $3,000 within 3 months
12 Hilton points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels, 6 points per $1 at supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations, phone/internet/cable & 3 points per $1 for everything else

both come with gold status and neither waive the annual fee the first year.

rated:
Cheers. And what about Holiday Inn group? Any cards for that?

rated:
imbatman said:   dbmd said:   What is the best card to use at costco for non-gas purchases ? What about WalMart ? (my Ammex statement shows WalMart as Wholesale)

costco - Fido 2% AMEX IMO
WalMart - if you find a WalMart that VISA codes as grocery (though AMEX may not), then get a VISA card that have a grocery bonus category (Sallie Mae gives 5% for $250 spend per month).


What about BlueBird for Costco use if you can make it work? At this point, its a huge YMMV though.

rated:
jgooner22 said:   Cheers. And what about Holiday Inn group? Any cards for that?
Holiday Inn is part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group (formerly priority club).
They are a transfer partner of Chase Ultimate rewards (though a poor value in terms of best way to use UR points), meaning there are many chase UR cards. There's also a chase card specific to the IHG group (60-80k signup bonus, also comes with a free night every year).

So there's a bunch of cards you can get to get points for Holiday Inn stays.

rated:
TheWalL said:   imbatman said:   dbmd said:   What is the best card to use at costco for non-gas purchases ? What about WalMart ? (my Ammex statement shows WalMart as Wholesale)

costco - Fido 2% AMEX IMO
WalMart - if you find a WalMart that VISA codes as grocery (though AMEX may not), then get a VISA card that have a grocery bonus category (Sallie Mae gives 5% for $250 spend per month).


What about BlueBird for Costco use if you can make it work? At this point, its a huge YMMV though.


why would you use your bluebird at Costco?

rated:
imbatman said:   jgooner22 said:   Cheers. And what about Holiday Inn group? Any cards for that?
Holiday Inn is part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group (formerly priority club).
They are a transfer partner of Chase Ultimate rewards (though a poor value in terms of best way to use UR points), meaning there are many chase UR cards. There's also a chase card specific to the IHG group (60-80k signup bonus, also comes with a free night every year).

So there's a bunch of cards you can get to get points for Holiday Inn stays.


This 80K offer for the IGH (formerly Priority Club) card worked for me in May:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1282804-80k-...

rated:
imbatman said:   TheWalL said:   imbatman said:   dbmd said:   What is the best card to use at costco for non-gas purchases ? What about WalMart ? (my Ammex statement shows WalMart as Wholesale)

costco - Fido 2% AMEX IMO
WalMart - if you find a WalMart that VISA codes as grocery (though AMEX may not), then get a VISA card that have a grocery bonus category (Sallie Mae gives 5% for $250 spend per month).


What about BlueBird for Costco use if you can make it work? At this point, its a huge YMMV though.


why would you use your bluebird at Costco?


You're right...why would I? Dumb me.

rated:
imbatman said:   jgooner22 said:   Cheers. And what about Holiday Inn group? Any cards for that?
Holiday Inn is part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group (formerly priority club).
They are a transfer partner of Chase Ultimate rewards (though a poor value in terms of best way to use UR points), meaning there are many chase UR cards. There's also a chase card specific to the IHG group (60-80k signup bonus, also comes with a free night every year).

So there's a bunch of cards you can get to get points for Holiday Inn stays.


Good advice as usual. Just signed up for the CUR w/ the free annual stay. Turned out to be a requirement for 1k spend over 3 months instead of first purchase. Needed sooner.

rated:
Are you saying that you can convert the IHG points into Chase UR points at 1:1?
Thanks!

rated:
alanmax said:   Are you saying that you can convert the IHG points into Chase UR points at 1:1?
Thanks!


I dunno how it works. Sounds like a lot. I bet he told me the wrong thing.

rated:
alanmax said:   Are you saying that you can convert the IHG points into Chase UR points at 1:1?
Thanks!

You can't, they're totally separate programs. Afaik, you can't convert any program points to UR. UR point conversions are one-way only (i.e. can only convert UR->X, not X->UR).

rated:
I know you can convert UR to IHG 1:1 but I am unsure about the reverse?

rated:
bytem3 said:   alanmax said:   Are you saying that you can convert the IHG points into Chase UR points at 1:1?
Thanks!

You can't, they're totally separate programs. Afaik, you can't convert any program points to UR. UR point conversions are one-way only (i.e. can only convert UR->X, not X->UR).


Thanks bytem3 for the clarification.

rated:
bytem3 said:   alanmax said:   Are you saying that you can convert the IHG points into Chase UR points at 1:1?
Thanks!

You can't, they're totally separate programs. Afaik, you can't convert any program points to UR. UR point conversions are one-way only (i.e. can only convert UR->X, not X->UR).


I'll have to call again. They'll let anyone answer the phones. lol Yea, the young kid read it wrong. Figured as much. I cancelled it. Was wanting the 80k for first spend for the time frame.

rated:
I was also approved for the Chase Priority Club Visa 80k offer a couple months ago. The offer is that you get 80,000 Priority Club points after you spend $1,000 on your Visa card (anywhere) within 90 days of the card application date (assuming you're approved).

rated:
in2dadark said:   imbatman said:   jgooner22 said:   Cheers. And what about Holiday Inn group? Any cards for that?
Holiday Inn is part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group (formerly priority club).
They are a transfer partner of Chase Ultimate rewards (though a poor value in terms of best way to use UR points), meaning there are many chase UR cards. There's also a chase card specific to the IHG group (60-80k signup bonus, also comes with a free night every year).

So there's a bunch of cards you can get to get points for Holiday Inn stays.


Good advice as usual. Just signed up for the CUR w/ the free annual stay. Called & they told me the offer I was approved for was 80k with a spend requirement of 1k in first 3 months. That converts to 800 Cash Back (or 810 spending the bare minimum). I did ask him to clarify if that only applies to hotel points & he said no it's card points. Seems like a high amount of points for 1k of spend.



you're mixing things up. If it's a Chase Ultimate reward card, it doesn't come with an annual stay. You probably got the IHG hotel card. those points can't be redeemed for $800 cash. you can get that value with hotel stays, but you have to work for it.

rated:
imbatman said:   in2dadark said:   imbatman said:   jgooner22 said:   Cheers. And what about Holiday Inn group? Any cards for that?
Holiday Inn is part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group (formerly priority club).
They are a transfer partner of Chase Ultimate rewards (though a poor value in terms of best way to use UR points), meaning there are many chase UR cards. There's also a chase card specific to the IHG group (60-80k signup bonus, also comes with a free night every year).

So there's a bunch of cards you can get to get points for Holiday Inn stays.


Good advice as usual. Just signed up for the CUR w/ the free annual stay. Called & they told me the offer I was approved for was 80k with a spend requirement of 1k in first 3 months. That converts to 800 Cash Back (or 810 spending the bare minimum). I did ask him to clarify if that only applies to hotel points & he said no it's card points. Seems like a high amount of points for 1k of spend.



you're mixing things up. If it's a Chase Ultimate reward card, it doesn't come with an annual stay. You probably got the IHG hotel card. those points can't be redeemed for $800 cash. you can get that value with hotel stays, but you have to work for it.


Very confusing. Probably why I avoided these in the past.

rated:
I am a postgraduate student looking to get a 2nd CC. My current CC is a WellsFargo Rewards card. My parents will be AUs on the card thereby combining our spending (being AUs is something they suggested). Combined, our monthly spending is approximately $2,500 total; $380 restaurants, $125 gas, $650 supermarkets and $300 on airfare and hotels.

I have referred to NerdWallet & Credit Card Tune-Up. Both have suggested various cards including Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) and Blue Cash Preferred (BCP). For the past week I have been struggling nailing down which one seems the best. This is partially due to me flying (on United or Delta) quite a bit to attend conferences (CSP seeming preferable) while Cash Back on groceries sounds very nice (BCP seeming preferable). The CSP has the added benefit of no foreign transaction fees which is nice for when I travel abroad (~2/year). Also, I am aware of the $6,000 cap on grocery spending with BCP. In addition, Credit Card Tune-Up has noted that Starwood Preferred and Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard could grant rewards higher than CSP and BCP by $400-600/year.

Thus, I am inclined to apply for one of these cards, but my FICO is not stellar (~710). I was hit rather hard due to requesting a CLI with WellsFargo. The CLI was denied, but, three months later, my CLI was almost doubled.

Would anyone recommend one of these cards or another one given my situation?

rated:
jwx23 said:   I am a postgraduate student looking to get a 2nd CC. My current CC is a WellsFargo Rewards card. My parents will be AUs on the card thereby combining our spending (being AUs is something they suggested). Combined, our monthly spending is approximately $2,500 total; $380 restaurants, $125 gas, $650 supermarkets and $300 on airfare and hotels.

I have referred to NerdWallet & Credit Card Tune-Up. Both have suggested various cards including Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) and Blue Cash Preferred (BCP). For the past week I have been struggling nailing down which one seems the best. This is partially due to me flying (on United or Delta) quite a bit to attend conferences (CSP seeming preferable) while Cash Back on groceries sounds very nice (BCP seeming preferable). The CSP has the added benefit of no foreign transaction fees which is nice for when I travel abroad (~2/year). Also, I am aware of the $6,000 cap on grocery spending with BCP. In addition, Credit Card Tune-Up has noted that Starwood Preferred and Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard could grant rewards higher than CSP and BCP by $400-600/year.

Thus, I am inclined to apply for one of these cards, but my FICO is not stellar (~710). I was hit rather hard due to requesting a CLI with WellsFargo. The CLI was denied, but, three months later, my CLI was almost doubled.

Would anyone recommend one of these cards or another one given my situation?


What do you want to use your rewards for? Award plane tickets? If so, which airline? Travel (non award)? Cash?

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 195 96 979899117
  • Page


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014