• 1115 116 117118119121
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
imbatman said:   
SyZpuzzler said:   
Matrim33 said:   
SyZpuzzler said:   690 as of 4 months ago, never missed a payment, the main issue the score was so low was because my balance was $4,000 on a $4,800 limit

I have 1 car with a 14 year history, so opening this would lower the average to 7 years, and I would more than likely never use the old card again since the new one has benefits

Do you have a credit karma account? If not, I would sign up. Never hurts to see if there's something you don't know about on your report before you start applying.

I looked at my report a while back and I have screenshots of everything, but it's pretty involved ... I'll post if people want to see but everything on there should be good

What are you referring to when you say there's something I don't know about? There are a high number of inquiries, my > 70% balance on the card which has since been removed, and 100% payments for all my loans which hasn't changed

sign up for creditkarma http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1380229/ they have a much less involved, very intuitive layout for viewing your credit report.
What we mean when we say "is there something you don't know about?" - it's possible there is an error on your credit report that is dragging your score down. You won't know about it until you look at your credit report. I monitor mine regularly, and just found an error 2 days ago that I had missed thx to creditkarma. I'm getting it fixed, and it will probably add 30 points-ish to my score.

Is this going to count as an inquiry / hit against my credit in general?

rated:
no

rated:
http://i.imgur.com/fHiodTz.png

So it was 677, now it's 697, but that's actually outdated because I've put another $550 on the card as of 3 days ago

How are they able to show you your score free when you're only supposed to get to see 3 times a year, one for each of the 3?

I don't know how to tell if there's something on there that shouldn't be

rated:
You can check your credit report for free once per year, per credit bureau. CreditKarma probably has an agreement with the TransUnion credit bureau to check the report more often. Meaning, they probably pay TransUnion for it. CreditKarma's service is free, but for sure they are making money. If you click on one of their credit card recommendations, apply, and get approved, they get paid. 

How to tell if there's something in your report that shouldn't be there? Easy, just go over each of the reported accounts. You need to recognize each of them. Some of them can be tricky because their name on the report might be different from what you expect. Those require a little digging on Google, ficoforums, this forum, etc. But you should only see accounts you recognize, or that you don't recognize at first and then do. Any account that doesn't falls in those 2 options needs to be reported to the credit bureaus and after the due investigation, removed from  your credit report.

rated:
Sy -- Your credit card balances get reported typically only once per month. Most issuers report on the statement closing date. US Bank reports at the end of the month. Your $550 may not hit your report for a while... or it may have already hit -- it depends on when the CC issuer reports.

You can get your report and check it for accuracy and dispute anything that's wrong. There's really no way to "check the math" of how the credit reporting agencies convert your credit report into a credit score -- that's proprietary information. We've got some clues to what affects your score, but not the actual formula.

Some of us like to pay down our CC BEFORE the statement closes if we want to keep our score up a bit... it helps when you have $20,000 of charges going through in a month per card. We might pay it down to, say,,,, $25 so it shows as a currently used account... This gets into some advanced lessons...

rated:
SyZpuzzler said:   This is getting off-topic. Back to your own thread.

rated:
Credit Card Stats:

760 FAKO, 810 Transunion

AMEX BCE - 16K limit
Discover IT - 16k limit
BofA 123 - 10k limit
Capital One Venture - 5k limit

Plan to purchase car within a year. Low utilization. Pay in full every month. Low inquiries. No mortgage - but eventually would like to purchase house.

Should I AOR it up for signup bonuses or sit tight and garden?

rated:
aor. enjoy. IMO

rated:
Does anyone know if the Fidelity Amex is technically an Optima? Way back when, Amex only let people have one Optima account, and I don't want to give up my old Optima Cash Back (5% @gas stations, drug stores, and grocery stores). Not sure if it's any different now.

rated:
mabehr said:   Does anyone know if the Fidelity Amex is technically an Optima? Way back when, Amex only let people have one Optima account, and I don't want to give up my old Optima Cash Back (5% @gas stations, drug stores, and grocery stores). Not sure if it's any different now.
No, the Fidelity Amex is issued by FIA (Bank of America). 

rated:
iboofedyourgf said:   Has anyone had luck downgrading the Barclay's card to their no annual fee version before they are hit with the annual fee?
  Yes. First rep said I couldn't ,so I said I want to cancel. 2nd rep said 1st rep was misinformed. They did the product change and said I get 1000 bonus points after using it the first time. I don't think I ever bothered to use it.

rated:
My credit score is in upper 700s almost 800. I have a united card that i was duped into not getting the 55k bonus i signed up for a year ago. I want a solid card that can provide opportunities for saving as i use my CC for all my purchases then pay it off to reap the rewards. HELPS? ty

rated:
FIdo 2% card

rated:
Translating into English for the Caped Crusader... Fidelity Rewards Visa or American Express from FIA (Bank of America). The Amex is straight 2% on everything. The Visa (accepted a few more places) has 1.5% for the first so many dollars and 2% after that.

rated:
My English was perfect. I just didn't include any details

rated:
Looking for some help

Our past plan was:
Old  AE blue cash card (5% at grocery, gas, pharmacy after $6500 1% other) Primary card
Costco AE for 2% at restaurants and travel
Citi rewards, Discover, Chase Freedom – For rotating categories, or needed to use V/MC

Currently our plan is:
Fidelity 2% card – Primary Card
Old AE blue – Grocery, Gas, and Pharmacy
Capital One 1.5% card – Where AE is not accepted
Citi rewards, Discover, Chase Freedom – For rotating categories

At this point we have complicated it some but well within our ability to juggle cards. The problem is going when the blue cash resets. Last time it took us two and a half months to hit the 6,500. We average about 400 gas, 300 grocery, and a 100 pharmacy per month. I can always get the PenFed for the 5% gas and call it a day. Or we both get a Sallie Mae 5% up to $250 per month on gas and grocery. Thoughts?

rated:
get two sallie mae's, sock drawer the old AMEX BC until you can figure out a faster way to spend 6500 on it.

rated:
Does the Discover It card currently have any good promotions going on right now? I saw that there was one for a $75 Amazon Giftcard, but that seems a little low in comparison to the $150 Cash Back after $750 Spend they have had in the past. This is not a huge priority for me since I have some other good options for Cash Back, but $150 for doing normal and manufactured spend would certainly be nice. Thank you in advance.

rated:
RadicalDreamer said:   Does the Discover It card currently have any good promotions going on right now? I saw that there was one for a $75 Amazon Giftcard, but that seems a little low in comparison to the $150 Cash Back after $750 Spend they have had in the past. This is not a huge priority for me since I have some other good options for Cash Back, but $150 for doing normal and manufactured spend would certainly be nice. Thank you in advance.

Their promotions are targeted, and possibly to spur spending with low spend users (maybe, not certain).  You may get an email one day, or it may just appear as a link on your online account page. Next month they will owe me a $500 Cash Back bonus (plus another $250 for regular Cash Back spending) for six months of $3K/month spending, and then it goes back in the sock drawer.  This was after one year of not using the card at all. 

rated:
RadicalDreamer said:   Does the Discover It card currently have any good promotions going on right now? I saw that there was one for a $75 Amazon Giftcard, but that seems a little low in comparison to the $150 Cash Back after $750 Spend they have had in the past. This is not a huge priority for me since I have some other good options for Cash Back, but $150 for doing normal and manufactured spend would certainly be nice. Thank you in advance.
  If you google you should be able to find the $150 promotion

rated:
Not true i spent few hours over course of a few days looking. its expired

rated:
nathanwayneinc said:   Not true i spent few hours over course of a few days looking. its expired

Ah you are right, thought I found a link but it doesn't work. 

rated:
Any suggestions for a good Visa with no foreign transaction fees, and ideally a chip/pin card? I want something to have available for a 3 week trip in Europe this fall, and currently don't have a Visa.

Whatever Discover Card uses to check my credit score says 800 at the moment. In line with what it was last year when I bought a car. Plenty of income, so short of a Centurion card, I should be able to qualify for anything.

Currently carry a Discover More, Costco Amex, and a USAA World MC. Mostly use the Discover and Amex depending on the Discover 5% categories and ShopDiscover CB shopping online. Between the lower prices at Costco and the 3% CB everyday, I usually put all gasoline spend on the Amex.

All the best Visas seem to be travel oriented cards, but besides an occasional big trip like I have now, I don't spend that much. When I travel for business, which isn't that often, my company books my flight and I am only needing reimbursement for hotel and transportation.

Something like the Chase Sapphire may work, but I don't know if if the rewards would be worth the annual fee, even if I moved my non-Discover 5% spend over to it. My understanding is the rewards are geared towards travel as well.

Or maybe since my overall foreign spend is not that high, I shouldn't worry about a 3% fee and just get a good Visa for domestic spending.  No one likes paying fees though.  

rated:
Use the Chase Sapphire Preferred overseas:
https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-card.aspx

Up to a 45,000 point bonus and first year is free. You can use the points to reimburse expenses, request a check, or use the in application travel rewards to book a trip.

After your first year you can switch it to a Chase Sapphire card or just cancel it.

rated:
Medikit said:   Use the Chase Sapphire Preferred overseas:
https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-card.aspx

Up to a 450,000 point bonus and first year is free. You can use the points to reimburse expenses, request a check, or use the in application travel rewards to book a trip.

After your first year you can switch it to a Chase Sapphire card or just cancel it.

I assume that you mean 45k, not 450k.

rated:
Medikit said:   Use the Chase Sapphire Preferred overseas:
https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-ca...

Up to a 450,000 point bonus and first year is free. You can use the points to reimburse expenses, request a check, or use the in application travel rewards to book a trip.

Or you can combine with a card you actually do use (such as the Freedom. Both my Amazon and Freedom ares are like 4x-5x the original limits because I've consolidated annual fee cards that I didn't want to keep.

rated:
VicVinegar said:   Any suggestions for a good Visa with no foreign transaction fees, and ideally a chip/pin card? I want something to have available for a 3 week trip in Europe this fall, and currently don't have a Visa.

Whatever Discover Card uses to check my credit score says 800 at the moment. In line with what it was last year when I bought a car. Plenty of income, so short of a Centurion card, I should be able to qualify for anything.

Currently carry a Discover More, Costco Amex, and a USAA World MC. Mostly use the Discover and Amex depending on the Discover 5% categories and ShopDiscover CB shopping online. Between the lower prices at Costco and the 3% CB everyday, I usually put all gasoline spend on the Amex.

All the best Visas seem to be travel oriented cards, but besides an occasional big trip like I have now, I don't spend that much. When I travel for business, which isn't that often, my company books my flight and I am only needing reimbursement for hotel and transportation.

Something like the Chase Sapphire may work, but I don't know if if the rewards would be worth the annual fee, even if I moved my non-Discover 5% spend over to it. My understanding is the rewards are geared towards travel as well.

Or maybe since my overall foreign spend is not that high, I shouldn't worry about a 3% fee and just get a good Visa for domestic spending.  No one likes paying fees though.  

You could look into the Capital One Quicksilver card.  $100 signup bonus, 1.5% CashBack on all purchases, and no foreign transaction fee.  You can also look into 

As you said, no one likes paying fees, but sometimes you can't really do much about it.  If I were you, I would calculate how much annual spending I have overseas.  If you're only spending $500/year overseas, that comes out to only $15/year in foreign transaction fees; it may not be worth your while to get a card exclusively for overseas spending in this situation.  On the other hand, if you're spending $5,000/year...it really matters how much money you'll save by not paying the 3%.

rated:
Your best bet for Grocery and Gas at that spending level is 2 Sallie Mae cards. You can get two yourself (just wait at least 3 and preferably almost 6 months between applications), or however you want to do it. Multiple people in the household could obviously each obtain multiple cards...

Get a Huntington Voice card if you are in their banking region. Then get a second one. They offer a selectable 3% Cash Back category. You could cover Drugstores with that. Or Utilities, WalMart, etc.

Get a couple Bank of America Better Balance Rewards cards. Don't spend much on the cards, let them report to credit bureaus then pay in full. That gets you $100 a year, or $120 if you have a banking relationship with BOA. These cards can cover drugstores, utilities, etc, anything that you don't have a good category card for.

rated:
stanolshefski said:     I assume that you mean 45k, not 450k.
  Whoops! Fixed.
thealimo919 said:   You could look into the Capital One Quicksilver card.  $100 signup bonus, 1.5% CashBack on all purchases, and no foreign transaction fee.  You can also look into 

As you said, no one likes paying fees, but sometimes you can't really do much about it.  If I were you, I would calculate how much annual spending I have overseas.  If you're only spending $500/year overseas, that comes out to only $15/year in foreign transaction fees; it may not be worth your while to get a card exclusively for overseas spending in this situation.  On the other hand, if you're spending $5,000/year...it really matters how much money you'll save by not paying the 3%.

Quicksilver doesn't have a chip and pin

rated:
Question:
I have been getting these AMEX platinum (100,000) offers every 3 months or so, but am not a frequent traveller anymore. Wife just got the Chase United offer, we are in a United hub. Would it make sense to finally accept the AMEX offer or forget about it?
Other option might be that I individually apply for the Chase United offer?
Thanks in advance for your help.

rated:
You won't get much benefit from the Amex platinum card on united. It depends which hub you're in and if there's a private lounge you can access with Amex.

rated:
Yes, no chip and pin on Quicksilver. Seeing mixed news on it being available for the Freedom too.

I'm looking at this card as a way to have a Visa option in emergencies (middle of nowhere and only takes one card), but specifically for Europe if I ran into a situation where I need a chip card. I did find today that I can request a chip version of my MC from USAA, so I'll probably do that too for two options. I'll be in multiple countries over the course of the trip and would rather use a CC than get the non-Euro local currency used in some of the destinations, so I'd ideally have one of each to deploy.

And the Capital One Venture card doesn't offer a chip either? A card marketed as a "travel" card doesn't offer something increasingly common in Europe? Come on.

rated:
https://www.sdfcu.org/emv-creditcards 

^^^

It's a pretty nice travel card. One of the original domestic chip and pins(UN CU and them were the first), No FT fee, zero to nil fees, higher limits are easy, entire credit union is geared towards travel, includes some translation services, emergency services etc. and the rewards work out to typically around .7% which is the only knock on the card.

But I believe that is made up by what I believe is a better exchange rate coming through on that card than others (even the no FT variety).

rated:
dshibb said:   https://www.sdfcu.org/emv-creditcards 

^^^

It's a pretty nice travel card. One of the original domestic chip and pins(UN CU and them were the first), No FT fee, zero to nil fees, higher limits are easy, entire credit union is geared towards travel, includes some translation services, emergency services etc. and the rewards work out to typically around .7% which is the only knock on the card.

But I believe that is made up by what I believe is a better exchange rate coming through on that card than others (even the no FT variety).

Have to join to apply for this card?
Got the answer. Thans,

rated:
Question:

we have an upcoming vacation to Hawaii and expect to be spending between 3-5k. I am looking to open two cards one for me and the other my spouse. So far I have costco Amex (3% back on travel), discover it and BofA platinum rewards. Wife has Amex blue Edc and Dcu platinum visa. Looking for a cc with decent opening bonuses (some thing that I can maximize on) as it will affect my average age of accounts. So it better be worth the shot.

I read through the posts and shortlisted southwest (-50k mile after spending 2k- annual fee 99$) and chase sapphire preferred (40k plus 5k - after spending 3k). We usually don't travel a lot but planning to do some long due trips in 2015 before kids.

Are there any other options besides above mentioned cards. Thanks for your input in advance 

rated:
what do you mean by long trips?
if domestic, you may be better with southwest. If I were you, I'd get 2x SW cards in my own name, and shoot for a companion pass. IF you+spouse plan on flying a lot domestically.

if international, or if you want to use the points to pay for hotel, you'd be better off with two Sapphire Preferred cards.

Others to consider Chase Ink Plus/Bold, Barclay Arrival+

Also, CostCo Amex only gives 2% on travel.

rated:
thanks imbatman

It's long due, not long trips. Anyways, it's domestic. how long do I wait between two southwest cards. Will I be able to get the bonus twice, as I read in another thread, chase has been strict in restrictions regarding the bonus for the same card/same person.

Yeah its 2% travel, i said 3%(1% you get in the same cycle- for the dollars spent, + 2% on travel after you made the trip).
what's difference between chase sapphire preferred vs barclay arrival+ in terms of redemption choices (which one gives better bonus- travel = $$)

rated:
cknutrine6954 said:   thanks imbatman

It's long due, not long trips. Anyways, it's domestic. how long do I wait between two southwest cards. Will I be able to get the bonus twice, as I read in another thread, chase has been strict in restrictions regarding the bonus for the same card/same person.

Yeah its 2% travel, i said 3%(1% you get in the same cycle- for the dollars spent, + 2% on travel after you made the trip).
what's difference between chase sapphire preferred vs barclay arrival+ in terms of redemption choices (which one gives better bonus- travel = $$)

What he means is get a personal SW card, and a business SW card both in your name.  You need to earn 110k points to get a companion pass for the rest of this year, and next year.  So you will need to spend a total of 10k between the two cards, this will include the required spending to get the 50k bonus.

If you don't have a business officially, just think of something you do to earn money on the side, and give it a name, and use that.

rated:
cknutrine6954 said:   thanks imbatman

Arrival lets you redeem points against any travel charge as a rate of 1pt=1cent.  Also it gives you a 10% rebate on any points redeemed on travel.  So if you have a $400 travel purchase, you can redeem 40k points to get a $400 statement credit, and then it will also refund you 4,000 points back into your account.  The Arrival Card gives 2pts for every $1 spent, so when you redeem them for travel you are earning 2.2% on all of your purchases.

With a Sapphire card the best redemption happen when you transfer your points to a travel partner like SW, Hyatt, United ect.. and then use the points in those travel programs.  The value of the points depends highly on what you end up using them for.

rated:
thanks daw4888. southwest makes good sense as i have 11000 miles already in my account. if I get both cards approved it works perfect. I am not sure about the business card though. I can not think of anything for business card

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1115 116 117118119121
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014