• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
TDAmeritrade often has promotions to open an account with them, and TDAmeritrade do carry Vanguard funds. Since I plan to buy some vanguard funds anyway, what's the cost difference if I buy directly from Vanguard vs. buy from TDAmeritrade? I believe I'll pay the expense ratios either way, do I have to pay transaction fee if I buy from TDAmeritrade? Thanks in advance.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

$0 from Vanguard, $50 from Ameritrade.

jz48 said: TDAmeritrade often has promotions to open an account with them, and TDAmeritrade do carry Vanguard funds. Since I plan to buy some vanguard funds anyway, what's the cost difference if I buy directly from Vanguard vs. buy from TDAmeritrade? I believe I'll pay the expense ratios either way, do I have to pay transaction fee if I buy from TDAmeritrade? Thanks in advance.
What did TDAmeritrade say when you called?

Ameritrade's increase in fees for buying/selling funds (Vanguard in my case but all I think) is causing me to move
my $$.

I've got the forms sitting here and I just need to find the time to complete the hassle of filling them out.

It's the impetus I needed anyway since as Voyager I'll get other benefits. I still think it was dumb of TDAmeritrade not to negotiate with me on those fees.

Bad business.

If you're buying an index fund, maybe Vanguard has an ETF version too? Then you would just pay the normal stock commission, rather than the $50 mutual fund one. Depending on how long you're investing, etc, ETF's can be a good choice for low costs and tax efficiency.

TD Ameritrade has a decent list of funds that are No Transaction Fee. Too bad the big names are not in that list(Vanguard, TRowe, Fidelity).

I have some mutual funds in TD Ameritrade that I bought when they were no transaction fee, but now they carry transaction fee to sell.

If I transfer these funds to another brokerage to avoid the fees, is there a charge for the transfer?

I have several of these funds and don't want to end up spending hundreds to sell them.

You would request an ACAT transfer from your new brokerage. TDA will charge a fee on the way out ($50-$75), unless you're Apex, in which case there is no fee. It's on their fee schedule.

markkundinger said: You would request an ACAT transfer from your new brokerage. TDA will charge a fee on the way out ($50-$75), unless you're Apex, in which case there is no fee. It's on their fee schedule.Sometimes the receiving brokerage will pay for any account transfer fees imposed by the sending brokerage - it doesn't hurt to ask.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014