• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Promotion ended August 31, 2007.

I saw this printed in a free newspaper called "Today's Local news" which was printed for Thursday 5/10/07. The newspaper I received was the Inland Edition for San Diego.

Get an easy $125

Get something extra from the bank rated #1 in Customer Satisfaction—$125 in your checking account.

Open your Free Checking account in California and deposit a minimum of $500 by August 31, 2007 and receive a $75 bonus. Then receive a $50 bonus when you set up Direct Deposit within 90 days. With Free Checking from Wachovia, there are no monthly service fees, and no minimum balance or direct deposit requirements.

What's not to love?

* Use any ATM in California without paying a Wachovia fee and receive a rebate for ATM fees other banks charge
* Free Check Card with Visa® Extras Rewards Program
* Free Online Banking with BillPay

Still not convinced?
Learn more about the many benefits of banking with Wachovia—the bank rated #1 in customer satisfaction for six straight years by the American Customer Satisfaction Index.3

Apply in one of three easy ways.
Be sure to mention the special offer code: PAYP.

* Apply online today
* Call (800) 801-0717
* Stop by your Southern California Wachovia Financial Center

Go to http://wachovia.com/calchecking

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Ditto on $50 and $75 here. Instant and fast after ACH in. ACH'ed in money
about 72 hours before receiving bonus.

Thanks ... (more)

fatbill (Oct. 21, 2007 @ 7:26a) |

Still no $75 or $50 for me, and I opened my account in mid-August.

kesh (Oct. 21, 2007 @ 1:16p) |

I got both $75 and $50 credits in the last statement period. Weird thing is that I didn't have any ACH transfers... No... (more)

hapachino (Nov. 04, 2007 @ 8:50p) |

** DEAL HAS BEEN EXTENDED THRU 8/31/07 **

The fine print for the OP:

1 To be eligible for the offer, the account must be opened in California in good faith between 03/27/07 and 06/24/07 with a minimum opening deposit of $100 in new funds to Wachovia. Receive $75 for depositing $500 or more in new funds and an additional $50 for establishing direct deposit within 90 days of account opening. Account must remain in good standing to remain eligible for the offer. Offer expires June 24, 2007. New checking customers only. Limit one bonus offer per household. Not valid with any other offers. The credit in your account will appear within 150 days of the Offer Expiration. The value of this bonus will be reported to the IRS, and the recipient is responsible for any federal, state or local taxes on this item. Accounts subject to approval. Offer available only in California.

2 No Wachovia fee for transactions at other banks' ATMs and a rebate up to $6 per month on fees that other banks may charge.

3 Rating based on 4th quarter 2006 American Customer Satisfaction IndexTM results of the largest U.S. retail banks.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Anyone know what Wachovia accepts as direct deposits in addition to paychecks?

ThursdaysChild said: Anyone know what Wachovia accepts as direct deposits in addition to paychecks?

According to another thread you can use ING. See here.

Banks that count ING (confirmed successes): Wachovia
No PayPal.

What's not to love? How about this charge?

h0 said: What's not to love? How about this charge?

If you read that thread, you would notice that many many banks charge this. And some more like $10. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure Express Web Connect would be free. I have a Crown account so I can't really tell.

Too bad this is for new checking account customers only. Makes me regret getting in on their previous $50 free checking promo now.

too bad none in NCal

ANAHEIM (1)
BEVERLY HILLS (1)
COSTA MESA (2)
DOWNEY (1)
ENCINO (1)
GLENDALE (1)
IRVINE (4)
LA MESA (1)
LAGUNA WOODS (1)
LONG BEACH (2)
MALIBU (1)
ORANGE (2)
RIVERSIDE (1)
SAN DIEGO (3)
SEAL BEACH (1)
TEMECULA (1)
TORRANCE (1)
TUSTIN (1)
UPLAND (1)
VICTORVILLE (1)

Green. THX OP.

tofufa said: too bad none in NCal

ANAHEIM (1)
BEVERLY HILLS (1)
COSTA MESA (2)
DOWNEY (1)
ENCINO (1)
GLENDALE (1)
IRVINE (4)
LA MESA (1)
LAGUNA WOODS (1)
LONG BEACH (2)
MALIBU (1)
ORANGE (2)
RIVERSIDE (1)
SAN DIEGO (3)
SEAL BEACH (1)
TEMECULA (1)
TORRANCE (1)
TUSTIN (1)
UPLAND (1)
VICTORVILLE (1)

Why? You don't need to have a local branch to get $125.

tofufa said: too bad none in NCal

How about apply online ?

DKTVPN said: tofufa said: too bad none in NCal

ANAHEIM (1)
BEVERLY HILLS (1)
COSTA MESA (2)
DOWNEY (1)
ENCINO (1)
GLENDALE (1)
IRVINE (4)
LA MESA (1)
LAGUNA WOODS (1)
LONG BEACH (2)
MALIBU (1)
ORANGE (2)
RIVERSIDE (1)
SAN DIEGO (3)
SEAL BEACH (1)
TEMECULA (1)
TORRANCE (1)
TUSTIN (1)
UPLAND (1)
VICTORVILLE (1)

Why? You don't need to have a local branch to get $125.

World Savings has merged with Wachovia. If you can wait until later this year, World Savings branches will convert to Wachovia. There are a bunch of these in Northern California. Until then, using a World Savings ATM for withdrawals with a Wachovia ATM card doesn't carry any additional fees. Linky

too bad none in Missouri.

anyone know how long they will take you credit you the $125?

also, do you have to keep the checking open for a certain amount of time after the credit?

kobugiman said: anyone know how long they will take you credit you the $125?

The credit in your account will appear within 150 days of the Offer Expiration.

burgerwars said:
World Savings has merged with Wachovia. If you can wait until later this year, World Savings branches will convert to Wachovia. There are a bunch of these in Northern California. Until then, using a World Savings ATM for withdrawals with a Wachovia ATM card doesn't carry any additional fees. Linky

Right now in N.CA my local World Savings branch is pushing a similar free checking account in celebration of the coming Wachovia conversion (no $125 bonus tho). Does anyone in S. CA know if that happened too before the $125 bonus appeared? Trying to decide if I can just wait for the $125 bonus to migrate up north?

just opened up an account. pretty quick and painless. I'll probably only go for the $75 offer as I can't do a direct deposit with paypal.

Big question -- Do they pull a hard inquiry? Do they have biz accounts?

PolarDude said: Big question -- Do they pull a hard inquiry? Do they have biz accounts?
They pulled a hard inquiry on my TU when I applied for the $50 promo Free Checking. Some people have said that they've called shortly after applying for the checking account and asked to use the credit report pulled for a Wachovia visa application (w/6-month 0% BT). Figure if they're gonna pull a hard one, might as well get your bang for the buck for it.

check this for details.

Yes they pull Hard.

don't know if the referral is too much hassel to use link? otherwise I'd like to get one if someone is kind enough.

The good standing requirement and good faith requirements only refers to no overdrafts, etc. right? It doesn't mean that you'll have to keep the acct open longer than the 150 days right?

How can you mention the code "PAYP" when you apply online? There is no place to enter comments or that code.

Applied over the phone.

Also talked CSR into sending me first box of checks free.

Thanks

gobbled said: Applied over the phone.

Also talked CSR into sending me first box of checks free.

Thanks

Lucky! When I called in today, they wouldn't give me any free checks.

Applied by phone a few days ago, got the rounting number via security message. But do not know how to make a initial deposit.

I know I can fund the account by ACH push from the online savings. However, will the small trial deposits ruin the requirement of $100 minimum opening deposit?

zysunny said: Applied by phone a few days ago, got the rounting number via security message. But do not know how to make a initial deposit.

I know I can fund the account by ACH push from the online savings. However, will the small trial deposits ruin the requirement of $100 minimum opening deposit?

You can just mail them a check if you dont mind wasting the 41c postage. Should be on their website somewhere (I opened my accounts this way).

charliek said: PolarDude said: Big question -- Do they pull a hard inquiry? Do they have biz accounts?
They pulled a hard inquiry on my TU when I applied for the $50 promo Free Checking. Some people have said that they've called shortly after applying for the checking account and asked to use the credit report pulled for a Wachovia visa application (w/6-month 0% BT). Figure if they're gonna pull a hard one, might as well get your bang for the buck for it.

check this for details.

I opened a free checking online earlier this year, when they had a $50 promo. I was not a customer, and they did pull hard for the checking account (Trans Union). After applying online, a couple of days later they did phone and asked me to fax them my ID, which I did. They also sent me a Visa credit card ($6,500 limit) at the same time, even though I didn't apply for one. Why they did that, I don't know, but I kept the card and have used it a few times.

Received both $50 and $75 bonuses yesterday.
Opened & funded account on 5/17.

FatFreddie said: Received both $50 and $75 bonuses yesterday.
Opened & funded account on 5/17.

same here ..
i was surprised .. since i had not set up direct deposit yet.
i think they counted my initial ach funding as direct deposit... it was a pull from their side.. go figure!

same here. i got both the $50 and the $75. However, both are pending payments. I did an ACH pull from my bofa account to fund wachovia

edit...both bonuses got posted to my account today! guess they're mine even though i don't have direct deposit

Just pulled the trigger on this.

Since it's Sunday and the last day for the promo, I'm not sure I will get the $125 as I can't fund it today. I'll fund it sometime in the next 14 days or so. I'm hoping since the account was opened today, I will get the $75+$50.

Also wondering if the trial deposits (for ACH) will screw up the initial deposit. Anybody have an experience confirming this either way?

Also picked up their CC while I was at it. Don't plan to use it.

Edit: They wouldn't give me any free checks, 50 for 8 bucks, 200 for 20 or something. Also the reason I'm not able to fund the account online is because I opened it over the phone. I recommend anybody wanting to fund it online open the account online. I see no way to add non-wachovia accounts to their transfer area of online banking. Called their CS, they couldn't help me with that either.

-kg

Got the $125 bonus too. Thanks OP!

I made the intial deposit by ACH from Online savings. It seems the 2 small trial deposits also do NOT hurt.

Same here, I wasn't able to fund it online/over the phone. I didn't dare to link from another account due to the trial deposit issue. Finally I sent a check of $500 over, which took about 10 business days to show up.

kgorilla said: Just pulled the trigger on this.

Since it's Sunday and the last day for the promo, I'm not sure I will get the $125 as I can't fund it today. I'll fund it sometime in the next 14 days or so. I'm hoping since the account was opened today, I will get the $75+$50.

Also wondering if the trial deposits (for ACH) will screw up the initial deposit. Anybody have an experience confirming this either way?

Also picked up their CC while I was at it. Don't plan to use it.

Edit: They wouldn't give me any free checks, 50 for 8 bucks, 200 for 20 or something. Also the reason I'm not able to fund the account online is because I opened it over the phone. I recommend anybody wanting to fund it online open the account online. I see no way to add non-wachovia accounts to their transfer area of online banking. Called their CS, they couldn't help me with that either.

-kg

Anybody see a restriction on the direct deposit amount anywhere? I was planning on doing $50 from ING once a month since the fine print only seems to say "direct deposit"

This is still going on in NJ, and even better, you get a $100 Visa gift card on the SPOT. you can also get $25 if you refer a friend (friend gets $25 as well).

There are no restrictions as far as I know in regards to direct deposit, minimum balance, etc.

As reported by the Bank Deals guy, this offer has been extended to 8/31/07.

For the people that received the $125 bonus, how do you apply? online, at the branch or by phone?

Thanks.

Looks like the $125 promo has been extended until August 31, 2007 now, so the deal isn't dead anymore. It's alive and kicking! I'm going to open one up now, thanks OP.

Josephinec01 said: For the people that received the $125 bonus, how do you apply? online, at the branch or by phone?
Thanks.
I applied online. Any of the 3 methods should work though.

Skipping 26 Messages...
I got both $75 and $50 credits in the last statement period. Weird thing is that I didn't have any ACH transfers... Not complaining though

Thx again, OP!!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014