• 15678 9
  • Page
  • Text Only
FaisalKhan said: For international travellers this seems *the best card*.

My scenario (family of 2 adults, 2 kids):
Just one round trip to south asia was ~20,000 miles per person. That will gave us 80,000 TYP for my family, plus 1 TYP/$ of ticket purchase. So 85,000 TYP per trip thats like $700 cash or $850 worth of gift cards using TYP.

will need $85000 worth of spending (or spending plus sign-up bonuses) for the points to post to your account. and even if you are planning on charging so much to your ppe card i think there's also a yearly limit (50,000 or 100,000 flight points? i'm not sure the exact amount). i'm in somewhat the same situation as i have 25,000 flight points that are waiting to post after i spend $25K for those of you who downgraded to the pp card to avoid the annual fee, will the unbanked flight points carry over? meaning can i downgrade and slowly charge 25K to the account to earn the 50K points? thanks in advance for any help!

brownie20 said: for those of you who downgraded to the pp card to avoid the annual fee, will the unbanked flight points carry over? meaning can i downgrade and slowly charge 25K to the account to earn the 50K points? thanks in advance for any help!
Yes - worked for me. I accumulated lots of flight points in the first year. Downgraded about 2 months back, and for the last 2 months I'm effectively continuing to get the 2% points. My remaining flight point balance gets slowly used up by my spending. Downgrade was a very simple call (no marketing/no need to threaten to cancel)

makitaws said: brownie20 said: for those of you who downgraded to the pp card to avoid the annual fee, will the unbanked flight points carry over? meaning can i downgrade and slowly charge 25K to the account to earn the 50K points? thanks in advance for any help!
Yes - worked for me. I accumulated lots of flight points in the first year. Downgraded about 2 months back, and for the last 2 months I'm effectively continuing to get the 2% points. My remaining flight point balance gets slowly used up by my spending. Downgrade was a very simple call (no marketing/no need to threaten to cancel)

thanks so much for your reply! will probably end up downgrading as i dont plan on charging $25K anytime soon

Thanks for the tip, I think I will do the same. The only downside is that gas/groceries/drugstores are double TYP with PPE but not with PP. I might try to buy some gas gift cards before the conversion.

Moosy said: machop said: So I am reading their T&C:
"For every point earned from purchases, one point earned from miles becomes available for redemption."
In other words, if you earn 10000 points from fly, you can't redeem those 10000 points, you have to spend $10000 so you can redeem them.
Am I right? If so, then the points you earn from the miles you fly is useless since other Citi Cards offer you at least 1 point per $1 purchase.

Yes, you are right. BUT, if you buy flights on a regular basis you effectively get 2 points on each dollar spent, which isn't bad at all.

It's not very good either.

2 points on each dollar spent < 2% cash rebate from Charles Schwab card.

Shel said: Moosy said: machop said: So I am reading their T&C:
"For every point earned from purchases, one point earned from miles becomes available for redemption."
In other words, if you earn 10000 points from fly, you can't redeem those 10000 points, you have to spend $10000 so you can redeem them.
Am I right? If so, then the points you earn from the miles you fly is useless since other Citi Cards offer you at least 1 point per $1 purchase.

Yes, you are right. BUT, if you buy flights on a regular basis you effectively get 2 points on each dollar spent, which isn't bad at all.

It's not very good either.

2 points on each dollar spent < 2% cash rebate from Charles Schwab card.

And depending on what you buy the Citi Forward card is better (5%)

I have the PPE card since 2007 with 250k bonus points.

I made a purchase in 2007 and get about 8k flight points. Since that purchase, I didn't use this card.

If the bonus point counts as purchase points, can the rest of my bonus points (250k-8k) match up my future ticket puechase to earn flight points? or it's already expired.

makitaws said: brownie20 said: for those of you who downgraded to the pp card to avoid the annual fee, will the unbanked flight points carry over? meaning can i downgrade and slowly charge 25K to the account to earn the 50K points? thanks in advance for any help!

I just called today to downgrade my one year old PPE card. The CSR said they couldn't do the downgrade -- something about their systems being frozen because of the new CC regulation from Washington. They said they might be able to do it starting 2/22/2010.

I got transferred to retentions, who offered me $75 (the annual fee) if I spent $1k on the card in the next three months. I took the offer -- it's a bit annoying (I'm giving up about $20 in schwab rebates, vs. the 1000 TY points), but I'd like to keep the card on my credit report...

forgetme said: .......... but I'd like to keep the card on my credit report...
Not a great card to keep on your credit report since it doesn't report the limit.

Has anyone been successful in transferring their PP CL to their Forward card?

lilyyoungs said: I have the PPE card since 2007 with 250k bonus points.

I made a purchase in 2007 and get about 8k flight points. Since that purchase, I didn't use this card.

If the bonus point counts as purchase points, can the rest of my bonus points (250k-8k) match up my future ticket puechase to earn flight points? or it's already expired.

Is it 250K bonus points, or 25K bonus points? I ask because I can not see how you accumulate 250K bonus points on ONE card.

There were 25K, 20K, and 15K intro bonus offers, so it is feasible for you to have 25K bonus card.

And IMO the answer to your question is yes. I.e., if you have Y number of {bonus+purchase} points, and you have matched X number of points for flights, then X - Y can still be matched. You can start out by buying a short-haul ticket to test if you get the match.

If you are buying a single long-haul ticket, might be a better option to get a new PPE card with 20K bonus. Usually, R&R should work, but you are taking a little risk of rejection and AA>

tolamapS said: lilyyoungs said: I have the PPE card since 2007 with 250k bonus points.

Is it 250K bonus points, or 25K bonus points? I ask because I can not see how you accumulate 250K bonus points on ONE card.

There were 25K, 20K, and 15K intro bonus offers, so it is feasible for you to have 25K bonus card.

And IMO the answer to your question is yes. I.e., if you have Y number of {bonus+purchase} points, and you have matched X number of points for flights, then X - Y can still be matched. You can start out by buying a short-haul ticket to test if you get the match.

If you are buying a single long-haul ticket, might be a better option to get a new PPE card with 20K bonus. Usually, R&R should work, but you are taking a little risk of rejection and AA>

Thanks.
I mean 25K bonus. Sorry for the typo.
So you mean the unmatched (bonus +purchase) point will stay there for ever until it's matched ?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014