• 1 2 3459
  • Page
  • Text Only
ScootyPuffSr said:

So I can't speak for you, but for me $250 >> $250 GC.

I did say, YMMV.


There you go Scooty...thats the key word you should use YMMV...now it makes sense..The PPE for me has earned me 1 TY pt = 3 cents YMMV and thats why I was disagreeing..nothin personal

piyush123 said: In my opinion Thankyou Points are worth more than $.01. To put my money where my mouth is I will pay $ 650 for 60,000 points or $ 1,900 for 165,000 points.

PM me if any one is interested!


Piyush baba..how can you transfer the TY points? can we?


Well I have to disagree with Scooty on YMMV. Its not YMMV.


There you go Scooty...thats the key word you should use YMMV...now it makes sense

YMMV


I said YMMV in my first post, I said YMMV in my second post. Why does it only now make sense? I really don't know what more you TY fans want.

I'm confused, you said it is not YMMV and now you say I should use YMMV.

You are contradicting yourself pretty badly.

I am not saying you didn't get 3 cents per TY point. What I am diagreeing with is the fact that you said it doesn't vary and that everyone gets the exact same value out of those points. That couldn't be further from the truth.

ScootyPuffSr said: I was told that loop hole had been closed from several different sources. I was told that flght points can only be matched by purchase points, NOT account opening points.

I agree one earns a ridiculous amount of flight points per $ spent for plane tickets. However, in order to redeem those points you have to earn purchase points and the effective pt/$ is not that great in my opinion for PPE.


Can you point to any links that discuss the nature and timing of this change (I've been told the match was active at least as recently as March)? I would expect that such a change would be reported either here or Flyertalk. FWIW, the T&C for the card state explicitly "Unless otherwise specified, all references to ThankYou Purchase Points include ThankYou Select Spend Points and ThankYou Special / Bonus Points." (and I don't see it specified anywhere that account opening bonuses are not purchase points)

Is it possible you're mixing it up with the recent change that caused ThankYou Merchant points to no longer get matched?

Which cards do you consider to be more effective on a per $ spent rate than PPE assuming you have all the flight points that you need (for the rate earned on general purchases)? PPE is effectively 2 pts/$. Fidelity 529 is 2% (though no longer available). AMEX SPG might be in the same value range depending on your specific needs. Those are the top cards for general spending in my book.

coolbargains said: piyush123 said: In my opinion Thankyou Points are worth more than $.01. To put my money where my mouth is I will pay $ 650 for 60,000 points or $ 1,900 for 165,000 points.

PM me if any one is interested!


Piyush baba..how can you transfer the TY points? can we?
Nope, TY points aren't transferrable. What you can do, however, is to use your TY points to book expensive flights for others, and make them pay you.

ScootyPuffSr said:
No, I'm not saying anything like that at all. Those 25K TY points are TY points and can be used any way that TY points can be used.

They are NOT, however, purchase points and therefore if you have 25K in flight points banked, waiting to be matched by purchase points, you can't (as I understand the rules) use THESE 25K TY points to pull the banked flight points into your TY point balance.


When did this happen? As of November 2006, when I got my card, it was certainly counted as purchase points.

I think the bonus still counts as purchase points.

i just jumped on board for the 25k TY points. i'm looking to get some CC gift cards with the points to use towards an ipod or a new tv. hope i get the points.

has anyone had luck recently calling within a month to switch to a no fee card? i'd like to avoid the $75 fee.

I can confirm that the bonus counted as purchase point as of March, I received my card in march and the points (15,000) posted as purchase points with the April statement

if i buy tickets through Priceline do i qualify for the "Earn 1 point for every mile flown" ?

XeroK00L said: coolbargains said: piyush123 said: In my opinion Thankyou Points are worth more than $.01. To put my money where my mouth is I will pay $ 650 for 60,000 points or $ 1,900 for 165,000 points.

PM me if any one is interested!


Piyush baba..how can you transfer the TY points? can we?
Nope, TY points aren't transferrable. What you can do, however, is to use your TY points to book expensive flights for others, and make them pay you.


I did this last year near holiday season, which I have to say is the best time to do this. I had about 60,000 pts and that was enough for an international flight. I was able to sell the points for over $1000. Easy money and both parties were happy, except Citibank which had to cough up a lot more for the flight through their fixed pt system that they are trying to get rid of

manuvns said: if i buy tickets through Priceline do i qualify for the "Earn 1 point for every mile flown" ?

Yes you do get a point per mile flown..doesnt matter where you buy it from...let me tell you all Citi PP holders a trick..dont know if anyone of you have tried it yet..
I m usually on business travel once a month and the worst part is that I have to use my company CC to book tickets and I cant get points on my Citi PP card...
What I did 4 times in last 2 months was:
I usually travel American who serve snacks and beers on board for sale for 5 bucks and they do take credit cards.Even if you buy a headphone for 2 bucks, be a jack @$$ and pay using the Citi PP card..
The next thing you see at the end of your statement after 6 weeks is , you get the miles for that purchase...This seems to me like a loophole but it worked 4 times for me..2 Round trips from LAX-NY and I scored 10k Flight points by spending 20 bucks on snacks which I would usually do on those long flights..
Just my 2 cents and hope you FW ers use this same trick to score free flight points.

PS: make 2 seperate purchases 1 for snack and 1 for beer...see if that works too...
Have anyone done this yet???If not try it..it works

coolbargains said: manuvns said: if i buy tickets through Priceline do i qualify for the "Earn 1 point for every mile flown" ?

Yes you do get a point per mile flown..doesnt matter where you buy it from...let me tell you all Citi PP holders a trick..dont know if anyone of you have tried it yet..
I m usually on business travel once a month and the worst part is that I have to use my company CC to book tickets and I cant get points on my Citi PP card...
What I did 4 times in last 2 months was:
I usually travel American who serve snacks and beers on board for sale for 5 bucks and they do take credit cards.Even if you buy a headphone for 2 bucks, be a jack @$$ and pay using the Citi PP card..
The next thing you see at the end of your statement after 6 weeks is , you get the miles for that purchase...This seems to me like a loophole but it worked 4 times for me..2 Round trips from LAX-NY and I scored 10k Flight points by spending 20 bucks on snacks which I would usually do on those long flights..
Just my 2 cents and hope you FW ers use this same trick to score free flight points.

PS: make 2 seperate purchases 1 for snack and 1 for beer...see if that works too...
Have anyone done this yet???If not try it..it works
10k flight points for spending 20 bucks? So they somehow know the travel distance of the flight where you make a snack purchase? Wow...and I don't think LA to NY is even that far. Nice loophole indeed if true though. I'll give it a try next time.

coolbargains said: manuvns said: if i buy tickets through Priceline do i qualify for the "Earn 1 point for every mile flown" ?

Yes you do get a point per mile flown..doesnt matter where you buy it from...let me tell you all Citi PP holders a trick..dont know if anyone of you have tried it yet..
I m usually on business travel once a month and the worst part is that I have to use my company CC to book tickets and I cant get points on my Citi PP card...
What I did 4 times in last 2 months was:
I usually travel American who serve snacks and beers on board for sale for 5 bucks and they do take credit cards.Even if you buy a headphone for 2 bucks, be a jack @$$ and pay using the Citi PP card..
The next thing you see at the end of your statement after 6 weeks is , you get the miles for that purchase...This seems to me like a loophole but it worked 4 times for me..2 Round trips from LAX-NY and I scored 10k Flight points by spending 20 bucks on snacks which I would usually do on those long flights..
Just my 2 cents and hope you FW ers use this same trick to score free flight points.

PS: make 2 seperate purchases 1 for snack and 1 for beer...see if that works too...
Have anyone done this yet???If not try it..it works


Amazing! I assume that when the purchases were posted to your account (before the points were awarded), the flights' origins and destinations also appeared. For good measure, could you check the corresponding statement(s) and tell us what you see?

Moreover, it would be nice to know if this works with any airline or not. I'm taking a Continental flight in about two months' time, so I'll probably attempt this trick then.

sfvs said: coolbargains said: manuvns said: if i buy tickets through Priceline do i qualify for the "Earn 1 point for every mile flown" ?

Yes you do get a point per mile flown..doesnt matter where you buy it from...let me tell you all Citi PP holders a trick..dont know if anyone of you have tried it yet..
I m usually on business travel once a month and the worst part is that I have to use my company CC to book tickets and I cant get points on my Citi PP card...
What I did 4 times in last 2 months was:
I usually travel American who serve snacks and beers on board for sale for 5 bucks and they do take credit cards.Even if you buy a headphone for 2 bucks, be a jack @$$ and pay using the Citi PP card..
The next thing you see at the end of your statement after 6 weeks is , you get the miles for that purchase...This seems to me like a loophole but it worked 4 times for me..2 Round trips from LAX-NY and I scored 10k Flight points by spending 20 bucks on snacks which I would usually do on those long flights..
Just my 2 cents and hope you FW ers use this same trick to score free flight points.

PS: make 2 seperate purchases 1 for snack and 1 for beer...see if that works too...
Have anyone done this yet???If not try it..it works


Amazing! I assume that when the purchases were posted to your account (before the points were awarded), the flights' origins and destinations also appeared. For good measure, could you check the corresponding statement(s) and tell us what you see?

Moreover, it would be nice to know if this works with any airline or not. I'm taking a Continental flight in about two months' time, so I'll probably attempt this trick then.

When there is a charge it says
AMERICAN0010051xxxxx ONBOARD SALE TX
NAME: Last name / First name
DEPART: 03/07/07
LAX TO EWR : AA: CLASS: Y : STOP:

And this is what the statement said:
TICKET STATEMENT TRAVEL ORIGIN/ POINTS
NUMBER DATE DATE DEST. EARNED
0010051xxx 03/21/2007 03/07/2007 LAX EWR 2,467

So thats how they assume that this is a purchase of ticket or something.
And 1 way to NY from LAX is ~2500 miles, so round trip is 5k and 2 round trips is 10k and thats what I have scored so far

This is very interesting. Do any other airlines take credit cards for on board snacks and drinks? I usually fly Continental, and have never noticed them doing that before. What about United? Southwest? Northwest?

It's spreading, there was a blurb about it in the WSJ a few days ago. Frontier is all electronic, I believe. They parlayed their setup for buying pay per view TV.

... back to the BT deal on the card... has anyone who has received the card checked the "balance transfer" section on the citicards website? I'm wondering what the length and max fee are listed. Heard a rumor from creditboards that it might be listing a zero fee for some people.

stamp0101 said: i just jumped on board for the 25k TY points. i'm looking to get some CC gift cards with the points to use towards an ipod or a new tv. hope i get the points.

has anyone had luck recently calling within a month to switch to a no fee card? i'd like to avoid the $75 fee.


I am also very interested in learning about switching without the fee.

So how long on average from the time of signup does it take for the 25K points to be usable toward a new ticket? I would like to redeem them for a flight I am planning on taking over the summer, but it's in early-mid July.

sengar said: So how long on average from the time of signup does it take for the 25K points to be usable toward a new ticket? I would like to redeem them for a flight I am planning on taking over the summer, but it's in early-mid July.As soon as your first statement comes out, your points will be credited and ready to use.

I have this card , but I had a issue with it . I bought 4 tickets from SFO to Europe. so i got around 45k flight miles which should be equal to 45k TY points. But I only got 13k transfered to my TY Account. I called the customer service and enquired about it and they are telling me that i should spend another $32k on the card on any purchases then, they are going to transfer my balance to TY account as bonus. so just make sure you get all your flight points when you travel.

Does any know if you can convert from another citi card into this one? I have a Citi AMEX Dividend Platinum and they said I couldn't convert to this card. I was hoping to convert to another citi card and then into the PP.

billgatesnow said: I have this card , but I had a issue with it . I bought 4 tickets from SFO to Europe. so i got around 45k flight miles which should be equal to 45k TY points. But I only got 13k transfered to my TY Account. I called the customer service and enquired about it and they are telling me that i should spend another $32k on the card on any purchases then, they are going to transfer my balance to TY account as bonus. so just make sure you get all your flight points when you travel.

ONE point for every THREE miles flown...

45/3=~15k.....

jamesfatwallet said: Does any know if you can convert from another citi card into this one? I have a Citi AMEX Dividend Platinum and they said I couldn't convert to this card. I was hoping to convert to another citi card and then into the PP.


I had a citi dividend, which i transfered into a premeirpass.....

Is it me or am I now noticing the 0% offers are drying up (also the No Fee BT, and no % cap on the tranfer fee). Are they still out there or slowly going away?

Not only that the Bonus points seem aharder and harder to validate (taking forever to get them)

jamesfatwallet said: Does any know if you can convert from another citi card into this one? I have a Citi AMEX Dividend Platinum and they said I couldn't convert to this card. I was hoping to convert to another citi card and then into the PP.
Your problem is you can't convert Citi AMEX to non-AMEX. And you wouldn't get the sign-up bonus anyway (only for new applications, not conversions).

wffsoccer said: ONE point for every THREE miles flown...

45/3=~15k.....


The elite version of the card (which is what's being discussed in this thread) is 1 flight point for every mile flown. The 1/3 rate is for the non-elite version of the card. As is quite clear from billgatesnow's post, he did receive 45k flight points, he just needs the purchase points to match them with before they get transferred to his ThankYou point account. He apparently did not understand this detail of the program.

piyush123 said: Remember these will probably post as purchase points so you can match them with 25,000 flight points!!

Extremely hot deal in my opinion!


What do you mean "these will probably post as purchase points"?
Are you saying if you do the BT, you can earn points?

blaststar said: piyush123 said: Remember these will probably post as purchase points so you can match them with 25,000 flight points!!

Extremely hot deal in my opinion!


What do you mean "these will probably post as purchase points"?
Are you saying if you do the BT, you can earn points?


I dont understand why so many people ask so many dumb questions without reading the T&C or without searching the FW forums.
25k bonus points = 25k purchase points
You cant earn points on BT period. Now do you understand Mr blaststar?

AyresFan said: jamesfatwallet said: Does any know if you can convert from another citi card into this one? I have a Citi AMEX Dividend Platinum and they said I couldn't convert to this card. I was hoping to convert to another citi card and then into the PP.
Your problem is you can't convert Citi AMEX to non-AMEX. And you wouldn't get the sign-up bonus anyway (only for new applications, not conversions).


Ya, I know there is not sign-up bonus, so you're saying if I can convert to a MC then I'm set? I think there's an AMEX version of Premier Pass also, no?

[deleted]

I got the PP elite from the previous offer which waived the annual fee, and I have to say I'm impressed.

I used the Free companion airfare deal today (which as an elite, you can use as many times as you want) and saved a lot of cash.

instead of paying $700 for two round trip tickets it cost me $481 bucks.

Pretty hot if you ask me!

discoandy said: I got the PP elite from the previous offer which waived the annual fee, and I have to say I'm impressed.

What was the previous offer?

Throwstheball said: discoandy said: I got the PP elite from the previous offer which waived the annual fee, and I have to say I'm impressed.

What was the previous offer?


It's Alive! Citi PremierPass Elite W/ 15,000 bonus TY points and annual fee WAIVED!!

discoandy said: Throwstheball said: discoandy said: I got the PP elite from the previous offer which waived the annual fee, and I have to say I'm impressed.

What was the previous offer?


It's Alive! Citi PremierPass Elite W/ 15,000 bonus TY points and annual fee WAIVED!!


Thanks kindly.

Throwstheball said: discoandy said: Throwstheball said: discoandy said: I got the PP elite from the previous offer which waived the annual fee, and I have to say I'm impressed.

What was the previous offer?


It's Alive! Citi PremierPass Elite W/ 15,000 bonus TY points and annual fee WAIVED!!


Thanks kindly.


Still think this offer is better. bec. even if u can't downgrade the card to a no annual card later it still only cost u 75 $ which is about 7500 TY points.

the web page doesn't have anything about 3% BT fee capped at $250. is this new? if so, it basically kills the deal.

pevo said: the web page doesn't have anything about 3% BT fee capped at $250. is this new? if so, it basically kills the deal.

Yeah, it appears to have no cap now. That is too bad.

does anyone have a link to a page where the BT is capped?

Hmmm Is anyone getting instant approval? It's saying a snail mail response is on the way. I think this is the first time I didn't get instant approval.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014