• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Paying for your GEICO bill with a credit card other than their own used to be a bit of a crapshoot depending on the CSR as discussed in this old thread.

However, when I went to pay my GEICO bill today, I found that you can now easily pay online using any credit card without any hassle or surcharge.

Linky

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You are misinformed.

I've been paying GEICO with a Citi Mastercard for years and never paid any such fees. I just called... (more)

RJG (Sep. 12, 2007 @ 11:48a) |

The $4 is an installment fee because I pay every month. Currently they take the money from my bank account each month w... (more)

tbriggs928 (Sep. 12, 2007 @ 2:59p) |

I would like to know how to pay AAA insurance with credit card in So Cal too.

egal (Sep. 19, 2007 @ 8:08p) |

GEICO Bill Credit Card Payments

Link
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It seems they just added it. Great info. Thanks OP.

FYI - progressive also allows you to pay online w/ a credit card (for personal AND commercial auto insurance!)

Link

Corrected link (double http fixed).

yeah if you have Nationwide, you can pay online with a CC at mynationwide.com. i've been doing that for a couple of years now

as i know, they have added it for 2-3 months.

sweetwild said: It seems they just added it. Great info. Thanks OP.

Thank you OP!

sfuffy said: I found that you can now easily pay online using any credit card without any hassle or surcharge.

I tried with both my Macy*s and my Home Depot card. Niether one worked.

USAA also allows payment of insurance with any credit card. FYI

Liberty Mutual now accepts AMEX.

tooshy said: Liberty Mutual now accepts AMEX.
Yep, AMEX new bill pay allows you to pay a number of Insurance companies with it. I am now even using it for cable, telephone, newspaper and it seems they are adding more payees every day. Like that AMEX bill pay links right to those accounts. Can finally now start racking up rewards on my Blue card

I called Ameriprise Insurance (which is an offshoot of American Express) and asked if I had to pay with my Costco American Express. They said I could pay with any American Express, Visa or Mastercard.

yeah progressive been doing this all the time, you should always pay in full to get progessive's 24% discount (aka charging 24% APR for installments) on promo or bt the balance.

Making installments at progressive is insane.

I switched to GEICO three months ago and paid with a Citi Mastercard without any problems or fees.

State Farm accepts credit card payments for car insurance, has for years.

Allstate too.

They have my credit card details and will charge it automatically one week before the premium is due.
They send you a new policy notice one month ahead of time, then follow by a confirmation letter that the premium will be charged to the credit card you nominated.
You don't have to do a thing.

scott1961 said: tooshy said: Liberty Mutual now accepts AMEX.
Yep, AMEX new bill pay allows you to pay a number of Insurance companies with it. I am now even using it for cable, telephone, newspaper and it seems they are adding more payees every day. Like that AMEX bill pay links right to those accounts. Can finally now start racking up rewards on my Blue card
Are you speaking of AmericanExpress.com/gopay ???

I received a postcard about their new billpay. Quickly checked the site and so far did not see many payees that I could set up automatic billpay. For example cable, Time Warner, looks like our area is not on the list. So is our telephone. I would sure like to pay that bill automatic on AMEX. They don't take cc payments over the phone or online, so the only way to earn cc rewards is to pay the bill in person at their mall outlets.

But seems this is a billpay that is likely to grow as you said, so I will keep tabs now and then. I'm sure someone at FW will report back if it gets hot-ter!!

I have tried to pay by CC with Amica, but I have not seen a way to do it. Has anyone been successful with Amica?

I always pay my AAA insurance online with a CC ...? What's the big news here?

I paid my geico auto insurance in June 2006, December 2006, and June 2007 with my Citi MC...why is this getting so much green?

My guess is because no one here knew that you paid your auto insurance in June 2006, December 2006, and June 2007 with your Citi MC. I know I didn't know.

The reason is because Geico use to never allow outside Credit cards to be used for payment for recurring payments. You can use it for the first time but then they would only allow credit card payments from a Geico Credit card or Bank. Now you can pay with any credit card

I've been paying my Geico bill w/ a cc for months, never realized it was something new.

AnimEva said: The reason is because Geico use to never allow outside Credit cards to be used for payment for recurring payments. You can use it for the first time but then they would only allow credit card payments from a Geico Credit card or Bank. Now you can pay with any credit card

You mean you could never use a CC to pay your Geico bill on the web. Although it was never advertised, you could always call a Geico CSR and pay with a CC over the phone; they would balk about it and ask you if you wouldn't rather send a check instead, but if you stood firm they'd put the charge through. Now they've just brought it out into the open.

FatNYC said: I have tried to pay by CC with Amica, but I have not seen a way to do it. Has anyone been successful with Amica?

Amica doesn't accept credit card.

Liberty Mutual MC V AMX D

Some companies do, some don't.

This thread actually reminded me to check my auto/homeowners/umbrella quotes and I found that Geico is a little cheaper than my existing carrier. Plus I can points/miles/CashBack, so that's great.

Green for OP.

wow, that was so easy a caveman ..... never mind

discoganya said: I always pay my AAA insurance online with a CC ...? What's the big news here?

Please let me know how you do this. I have AAA So Cal and the only way you can pay insurance is via check or ACH. I logged in online and didn't see anything there as well. Thanks.

i made bunch of TY points by switching to Geico )

Signed up with a link thru BoA and got a BoA discount on the rate...undisclosed until the end was a need to sign-up for ebill and epayments thru BoA. Still I manged to pay with credit card this first time by calling in, since I don't keep much in the BoA checking.

FYI, Geico beat Progressive's rate by > $200 every 6 months for 2 cars. I think progressive has been creeping the rate up on me, AOR probaby didn't help any either. Never even gave my SSN to Geico.

I emailed Geico and found out 2 things:

1) You can only schedule recurring credit card payments if you have the Geico Mastercard. To pay with another card, you have to log on and pay the bill each month. No big deal. But...

2) Each credit card payment you make with a non Geico card will cost you a $4 installment fee.

I currently pay my bill with a scheduled withdrawal from my checking account, and Geico charges a $1 installment fee. I would love to pay with my credit card (more points!), but paying an extra $36 in fees counteracts any benefit. I wish you could schedule a recurring credit card payment with no fees. Oh well.

I pay my AIG insurance policies with a credit card.

tbriggs928 said: I currently pay my bill with a scheduled withdrawal from my checking account, and Geico charges a $1 installment fee. I would love to pay with my credit card (more points!), but paying an extra $36 in fees counteracts any benefit. I wish you could schedule a recurring credit card payment with no fees. Oh well.

The installment fees are only if you choose monthly billing. If you pay your 6 month policy up front you can use a credit card and there are no fees.

I'm impressed with the news that insurers are taking cc payments. Unfortunately, the largest auto insurance company in Massachusetts, COMMERCE, will only take cash.

jmorgans said: tbriggs928 said: I currently pay my bill with a scheduled withdrawal from my checking account, and Geico charges a $1 installment fee. I would love to pay with my credit card (more points!), but paying an extra $36 in fees counteracts any benefit. I wish you could schedule a recurring credit card payment with no fees. Oh well.

The installment fees are only if you choose monthly billing. If you pay your 6 month policy up front you can use a credit card and there are no fees.


I just switched to paying every 6 months and made payments with my credit card. They will actually let you make multiple payments ahead of time. In the last month I had 2 new credit cards that I wanted to use one time each just in order to get their points/cash bonuses, so I made 2 small payments of 5 and 10$, and it applied them as a credit towards my 6 month premium which will be due in full Sept. 26.

And there was no "installment fee" charged.

tbriggs928 said: I emailed Geico and found out 2 things:

1) You can only schedule recurring credit card payments if you have the Geico Mastercard. To pay with another card, you have to log on and pay the bill each month. No big deal. But...

2) Each credit card payment you make with a non Geico card will cost you a $4 installment fee.

I currently pay my bill with a scheduled withdrawal from my checking account, and Geico charges a $1 installment fee. I would love to pay with my credit card (more points!), but paying an extra $36 in fees counteracts any benefit. I wish you could schedule a recurring credit card payment with no fees. Oh well.

You are misinformed.

I've been paying GEICO with a Citi Mastercard for years and never paid any such fees. I just called them with the number, or I'd write it on the bill and mail it in. I pay 6 months at a time.

This year they started taking AMEX if you login at the website, so I just did that a few weeks ago. No problem. No fees.

The $4 is an installment fee because I pay every month. Currently they take the money from my bank account each month which reduces the fee to $1. I'm thinking of switching to the pay in full option, and putting it on my credit card. I'll save $12 in fees and earn some points.

paolobeltran said: discoganya said: I always pay my AAA insurance online with a CC ...? What's the big news here?

Please let me know how you do this. I have AAA So Cal and the only way you can pay insurance is via check or ACH. I logged in online and didn't see anything there as well. Thanks.


I would like to know how to pay AAA insurance with credit card in So Cal too.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014