• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
Bars2005 said: Beware of the problems at WaMu with calculating your rebates. I received my very first statement, and right away I saw that the rebate amount calculated was way too low. Trying different combinations of possible % points (try it - it could be fun for the whole family! ), I was able to figure out that a couple of my Shell gas purchases were calculated at 0.25%, instead of 5.5%. I called CS three times. First two times they were reading me the terms, saying everything is fine. Third time, they said that they are having a problem with the rebate-calculation formula, and will fix it at some point. Advised to wait for another month, and call back if it's still incorrect. Makes me think in a month I will have to call multiple times again, and will be told to wait another month...

Just calc your rebates, to make sure they are Ok.

Same here. I used the card for gas and the rebate was way low. I've been messaging them through the web interface, and got the same response about terms and conditions. Then I got a message saying they are forwarding the info to a different department for research and to check back in a few days... =P

Hopefully they work it out. Anyone else have similar issues?

Quick question.

I want to open WaMu checking/savings account online. They give me a credit card funding option;
1) will it be a cash advance? (I want to use chase card)
2) will i get cash-rewards on these transaction.

thx!

An observation and a couple question about Washington Mutual credit card practices.

They gave me quite a low credit line, $2500, and I understand they don't take requests for increases but grant increases based on periodic systematic reviews of your account. I am dealing with this by making online payments about twice per week to keep some headroom in my credit limit. A pain in the butt, but hopefully one I only need to deal with for a few months before they raise my limit.

What I've seen twice now is that my payments are being held on the WaMu side. The payment shows up in the transaction history, but the available credit does not reflect it and there is a large amount (larger than my payment) in the "Outstanding Authorizations" balance. Normally I expect to see outstanding authorizations for recent charges that haven't fully cleared, a process that may take a day or so. What I am finding is that my pattern of payments is triggering something that puts unusually "large" (a relative term here, we are talking amounts like $1000) payments on hold. In these cases I have verified that the funds have cleared my checking account. So the money isn't in my bank account, but I am not getting the benefit of the payment in seeing my available credit go up. When I call customer service they tell me it will take 5 days for the payment to fully clear. When I inform them that it has already cleared my account and wamu must have the funds already, I get escalated and they do a conference call to my bank who verifies the payment has cleared, and then the CSR supervisor releases the hold. These have been 30 minute phone calls, not fun or convenient.

This all seems very irregular to me. It has happened twice now and I expect it will happen again next time I make an online payment of over $1000. The CSR tells me that the system flags my account to put the payment on hold because I am making too many payments. WTF? I am considering writing some complaint letters as this seems to be a pretty anti-consumer practice: my money is gone from my bank account but wamu isn't giving me the benefit of the payment, usually putting me in a condition where I am about to max out my credit limit and be faced with denied charges. Is this something others have seen? How long should I expect to have to wait for a credit line increase?

OK now my real question: I have racked up some cash rebate $ and was about to try to redeem them, but on reading the rebate terms and conditions there is some weasel language that has me concerned: "When we issue a Rebate Check, your Rebate earnings will be reset to Zero, and you will earn Rebates on future Net New Purchases as described in the table in section 3". The table in section 3 describes the tiered rebate structure. I might be being paranoid here, but I could read this as possibly saying that the tiering gets re-set to zero. At this point I have maxed the tiers and am getting 10% on gas and 5% on EDP and don't want to go back to the bottom of the tier just because I got a rebate check. Please tell me this isn't something to worry about and that someone has drawn multiple checks and retained their maxed out rebate rates without going back to the beginning of climbing the tiers.

-Pat

Received a target offer in the mail a couple weeks ago for WAMU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum. Same Cash Back bonuses/tiers as the Mastercard except instead of 0% APR on balance transfers for 12 months it has 0% APR on purchases for 18 months when you make a minimum $100 balance transfer (at no cost for first 90 days).

Needed a new 0% card for purchases and I wanted another decent Cash Back card since my Chase rewards 0% APR expires next month, so I went in. Was instantly approved for $4K line.

Got a mail offer with tiered Cash Back up to 10% gas, 0% purchase APR until April 09 when you do a no-fee BT of $100 or more at 8.99% APR. I applied this card with $100 BT and got instant approval of $22,000.

It's really a pleasant surprise as I usually got 5~6K credit line in my past personal card applications. Since my Experian credit score (728) hasn't changed much in the last two years, I must say WAMU is more generous on credit line than others.

I also like their clean online account UI, as well as the FICO score feature. I paid $100 BT via bill pay section and the credit showed up the next day, very nice.

Hello folks,

Is this WAMU Cash Back card still available? I can't find it on their website, and the link doesn't really lead anywhere.

Also, am I missing something, or is this card really better than Blue Cash?

pocketdeuce said: Also, am I missing something, or is this card really better than Blue Cash?

not if you can't apply for it.

yes, the lower tier thresholds make (made?) it more favorable than Blue Cash at reasonable spending levels. lots of folks have reported problems getting WAMU to honor the terms of the card. personally, i decided to pass on this one and get the Citi Platinum Amex instead.

My SO just got it 2 weeks ago, so yeah, it's still available. It has the standard WAMU credit monitoring also, which is very cool. She hasn't had it long enough to have any problems with it though, so no comment there.

pocketdeuce said: Hello folks,

Is this WAMU Cash Back card still available? I can't find it on their website, and the link doesn't really lead anywhere.

Also, am I missing something, or is this card really better than Blue Cash?

Just had my account closed and $667 accrued rebate declared "forfeit" because I mis-typed a digit when setting up a new checking account for online payments (see full story here (okay I don't see to be able to get a hyperlink to work...it is this reply to the "I screwed up" thread http://www.fatwallet.com/t/52/759532/11930504#m11930504 )

a sad end to my relationship with WAMU

Just applied mainly for the 6 month free float on new purchases. Didn't see anything about any rewards program at all, which leads me to believe that I didn't apply under a 5%/10% deal.

Instant approval for $30K. No BT as T/C showed a 3% uncapped fee.

Signed up 6 months ago, after spending about 10k called to ask for my Cash Back and am told THERE IS NO Cash Back ON THIS ACCOUNT! They tried to offer to add 1% Cash Back which i declined. Last time i do buisness with WAMU!

Does anyone know how to get Experian scores with this card?

Just applied online and was instantly approved for $30k. My info:

HHI: $162.5k
Experian: 742

lowballer said: Just applied online and was instantly approved for $30k. My info:

HHI: $162.5k
Experian: 742

Not sure if you were replying to me or not, but what I meant was that one of the perks of this card are free online FICO scores. Most people seem to get TU scores, but some get Experian.

I applied online with a targeted visa offer with the same rewards structure that is in the quick summary...did a 100 bt with the application (no fee) but at the regular purchase rate...will pay off and get 0% on purchases until jan. 1, 2010...I probably can get the 4000 in purchases in the first 2-3 months to take advantage of the higher rebate during the first 6 months...

Instant approval of 14k. First WAMU card...

Much the same result as maddybeagle, I'd been getting targeted offers of 0% on purchases until 9-09, 10-09, then 1-10, and finally last week got one for a Visa with 10% back on gas after $4k in purchases and no interest on purchases until 1-1-2010 if I transfer a $100 balance. I did it with a $100 BT request and got a $13k CL. Perhaps WAMU wants us to do some real spending on these cards? As soon as I pay off the BT, I'm buying $4k of construction materials, and I'm making minimum payments until Dec '09.

BTW, I'm in Michigan and they pulled EX. I would have been PO'd if they had given me a $3k CL.

taxmantoo said: Much the same result as maddybeagle, I'd been getting targeted offers of 0% on purchases until 9-09, 10-09, then 1-10, and finally last week got one for a Visa with 10% back on gas after $4k in purchases and no interest on purchases until 1-1-2010 if I transfer a $100 balance. I did it with a $100 BT request and got a $13k CL. Perhaps WAMU wants us to do some real spending on these cards? As soon as I pay off the BT, I'm buying $4k of construction materials, and I'm making minimum payments until Dec '09.

BTW, I'm in Michigan and they pulled EX. I would have been PO'd if they had given me a $3k CL.

Be careful with this balance transfer offer. I had a similar offer if you make a $100 balance transfer you get the 0% (I got a 30k limit too). I made the balance transfer then paid it off. I then made a purchase three months later and they hit me up with finance charges.

They tried to claim that since I paid off the BT I was not eligable for the 0%. I had to talk to a CSR... AND a supervisor... and both said I wouldn't get the 0%. After I threatened to sue them since I still have the original offer I got in the snail mail in my possession with all the terms they transferred me to "executive customer relations".

Finally got them to honor the 0%. We'll see if I get finance charges next month as I am going to purposely carry a balance to see.

I probably should sue them anyways for the hell of it because this company is the worst. My wife had the 10% on gas WAMU card and they screwed up her Cash Back. She never got what was owed to her. She then cancelled the account because she was so pissed.

Link in OP doesn't work for me. Got another one? I would kill for 10% Cash Back on gas at these prices.

DjPiLL said:

Be careful with this balance transfer offer. I had a similar offer if you make a $100 balance transfer you get the 0% (I got a 30k limit too). I made the balance transfer then paid it off. I then made a purchase three months later and they hit me up with finance charges.

Hmm, I take it WAMU likes to deal with OTS complaints?

In light of your experience, I have some choices. I can leave the $100 unpaid at 8.99% for two years, pay part of it and see what they do, or pay it all of it and expect trouble.

If I depend on the written terms of our agreement and they don't live up to their side of the contract (an adhesive contract that they wrote), I think I'll make one phone call to them to point out their "error". If it's not treated as a rare and unforseen accident and quickly cured, then I can fire off a complaint to the Office of Thrift Supervision. It's probably best to take this approach, as it's my belief that banks who bait and switch their customers need to have their feet held to the fire.

taxmantoo said: DjPiLL said:

Hmm, I take it WAMU likes to deal with OTS complaints?

In light of your experience, I have some choices. I can leave the $100 unpaid at 8.99% for two years, pay part of it and see what they do, or pay it all of it and expect trouble.

If I depend on the written terms of our agreement and they don't live up to their side of the contract (an adhesive contract that they wrote), I think I'll make one phone call to them to point out their "error". If it's not treated as a rare and unforseen accident, then I can fire off a complaint to the Office of Thrift Supervision. That may be worth doing, as it's my belief that banks who bait and switch their customers need to have their feet held to the fire.

Well they waived the interest charges and after speaking to executive customer relations, I supposedly have my 0% still and it was their error and they reversed the finance charges after being on th phone for 70 minutes. But I am going to float this balance for another month and see if it's really corrected (or i'll get more finance charges).

Well, considering the amount of trouble people seem to have with these guys, maybe it isnt worth the trouble...I paid off my 100 account balance today (from the bt) in anticipation of using the card for purchases...sounds like they dont like that

I got updated terms with the card and no mention of losing the 0% by paying off the bt first...It does say if you do the 100 bt with a check (I did mine with the application, you will start getting 0% the first day of the next billing cycle...

I recently signed up for the WAMU offer. We were having some house renovation that cost about $15k so I knew I would immediately be in the 10% tier for the gas rebate. The first rebate check is low ($79 they calculate vs. the $96 I calculate). I've had several conversations with CSR who read me the rules or try to interprete them (I feel like I'm dealing with people who can't do elementary math - not sure if they understand "percentage"). Anyway, it became obvious that they don't have anyway of finding out what is a gasoline vendor or not. They had a feed store I use (Farm City) listed as a gas station but didn't understand (??) that we get gas at 7-11. We've kept the receipts so this should be an easy battle but I'm having troubling contacting anyone with authority. Any chance you have a line to the "executive customer relations".
Thanks

I got similar targeted offer for 0% apr until jan 2010 ( 18 months ) when i do a balance transfer now ( minimin 100$ and BT rate is 11.99 % not 0% ) . It also has the gas Cash Back upto 10% ( 10% will be when i spent over $4000 otherwise 5.5-8% ) . It looks like a good offer and i plan to BT 100$ and use it for 18 months . I have a short credit history ( one year ) but in good standing and have a score of 700 on credit karma . What kind of CL do WAMU cards offer .

rollydog said: They had a feed store I use (Farm City) listed as a gas station but didn't understand (??) that we get gas at 7-11.

I thought it went by the category the merchant uses. 7-11 is probably registered with MasterCard as a convenience store. Maybe I should buy a propane fill for the grill and see how my propane company is coded. 10% off on next winter's heating costs would be a hot deal.

Yeah, 7-11 probably is not coded as gas station for any credit credit EDP calculation...

Have any non-customers had any luck signing up?

I follow the link and get a page that says it's only for customers with an existing relationship, but then gives the opportunity to create an online account. After doing so, I get the card page and says "We have an offer waiting for you!" Following the "Find my Offer" link only leads back to the original "only for existing relationships" page.

Too bad I didn't see this earlier -- we are about to drive cross country, from NY to SLC, rent an RV and drive around yellowstone for a week, and then complete the trip with SLC to SFO...totalling at least 3200 miles + yellowstone, if using an average 23mpg & $4/gallon, it wouldn't be too bad for something we gotta do anyway. O well.

anyone here ever overpaid a WAMU credit card? if so is it easy to have them mail you a check for the remaining balance? thanks

RagingBull said: anyone here ever overpaid a WAMU credit card? if so is it easy to have them mail you a check for the remaining balance? thanks

I doubt it would be very timely! I have requested a check for my rewards balance after running it up on 10% back on gas purchases and phone prompt indicates will get the check within 2 billing cycles....

RagingBull said: anyone here ever overpaid a WAMU credit card? if so is it easy to have them mail you a check for the remaining balance? thanks
I did. No problem. But not urgent either: something like 3 weeks... {that is for relatively small amount. If you thinking to send a BT fot afew thousand - I don't know..}
I have to say a nice thing though: when I had a tiny balance, like 21cents they do "small amount adjustment" = give you a credit for that amount. Happened more, then once!

I have accumulated over $200 in rebates from purchases the past year. I wonder how difficult it'll be to get WAMU (now Chase) to honor my rebates.

do you know how long it takes to get the rebate / CashBack check ? Is it possible to request them second check if lost .
dtran42 said: I have accumulated over $200 in rebates from purchases the past year. I wonder how difficult it'll be to get WAMU (now Chase) to honor my rebates.

I have requested my rebate check a month or 2 ago and still havent seen....the auto. line says that it can take 1-2 billing cycles...

I have requested my rebate checks several times and the checks always came in 2 statement cycles.

Hey all - does Wamu allow an existing card-holder to apply for another card? I just got the offer for CashBack + 18 months 0% APR - and I think I'm going to bite - it's just that i already have a Wamu card - and am not sure if Wamu will reject me because of that...

I had a MyPoints WaMu from December last year ($3K CL), just got approved for a second WaMu ($11K CL), this 0% APR card, but they've sent me at least two other different offers (multiple times). I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the other two as well, but since not as many people apply, because they usually don't give the best offers unless you are an established customer, there aren't many datapoints out there.

thanks for your quick response cyclepoints. i just applied for my 2nd card with a decent limit!! so just wanted to add another data point here!

gyagya said: Hey all - does Wamu allow an existing card-holder to apply for another card? I just got the offer for CashBack + 18 months 0% APR - and I think I'm going to bite - it's just that i already have a Wamu card - and am not sure if Wamu will reject me because of that...

I just got a similar offer. It supised me since WAMU is toast, I mean Chase now. I'm going to have to give my AOR money back soon, so I might bite on this offer.

the 10% CashBack on gas is pretty slick but it last only for 6 months . is there a way to buy gas gift card and get 10% Cash Back in advance thereby extending he Cash Back for few more months .

I did that with my last WAMU card - and it was successful. Wamu doesn't require you to "pay at the pump" to get the 10% CashBack, unlike Penfed (at least from Penfed's ad, that's what I gather).

That means, you can buy a gift card from the gas station attendant - and Wamu wouldn't care...

Good Luck!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014