can you deposit a torn check

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
well my BT check got ripped in half because my mom thought it was junk mail. I would call my bank to see what there policy is but there closed. you can still see the account number and routing number, anyone know the general policy on this? can i just tape it together?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

KGZotU said: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cash+%22torn+check%22

Google says:
Maybe!

--Joe

haha read the same thing when i googled it. i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it

I tried this one; it wasn't even ripped completely in half; it was only slightly torn at the bottom. Yet, they still wouldn't take my check. As a matter of fact, as I understand it, the only part of the check that matters is the bottom portion, since that's where the account and routing numbers are written. Citibank couldn't cash my check since the bottom was ripped. I guess, if only the top part is ripped, they might take it, but I'm pretty sure if the bottom is ripped at all, they won't take it.

dragoon976 said: I tried this one; it wasn't even ripped completely in half; it was only slightly torn at the bottom. Yet, they still wouldn't take my check. As a matter of fact, as I understand it, the only part of the check that matters is the bottom portion, since that's where the account and routing numbers are written. Citibank couldn't cash my check since the bottom was ripped. I guess, if only the top part is ripped, they might take it, but I'm pretty sure if the bottom is ripped at all, they won't take it.

well i guess ill just wait until monday and see if they can take it. thanks for the replies

I used to work at a bank and yes you can if you can see all the major parts of the check (signature, numbers, date, amount).

I worked at a major bank and we had strict rules but we would take torn checks. Even if they were taped back together.

The only thing was if it looked suspcioius (taped or something AND it was a large amount) we might put a longer hold on it.

blok said: well my BT check got ripped in half because my mom thought it was junk mail. I would call my bank to see what there policy is but there closed. you can still see the account number and routing number, anyone know the general policy on this? can i just tape it together?

Why is your mother touching your private mail? Was her name on it? Does she understand that she could spend a very long time in jail for opening your mail?

DiabloD3 said: blok said: well my BT check got ripped in half because my mom thought it was junk mail. I would call my bank to see what there policy is but there closed. you can still see the account number and routing number, anyone know the general policy on this? can i just tape it together?

Why is your mother touching your private mail? Was her name on it? Does she understand that she could spend a very long time in jail for opening your mail?

What jail, death penalty in 4 states.

jdopple said: What jail, death penalty in 4 states.
Even better!

I accidentally ripped one completely in half once and just taped it from the back and it was taken fine...if you do it right you can hardly tell...deposit in an atm with a bunch of other checks for deposit...

I've done it. . many times. Instead of dealing w/ the people on the inside I too would just ATM deposit it.

If they deny it, I would ask why. Just because it's torn doesn't mean it's voided. Rip a $1.00 and see if they'll take that(they have to).

bauzer71487 said: Rip a $1.00 and see if they'll take that(they have to).

Personally, I wouldn't want to take that risk. There are so many things you can get with $1.

yhBin said: bauzer71487 said: Rip a $1.00 and see if they'll take that(they have to).

Personally, I wouldn't want to take that risk. There are so many things you can get with $1.

Yeah, like put two together and buy a soda.

DiabloD3 said: blok said: well my BT check got ripped in half because my mom thought it was junk mail. I would call my bank to see what there policy is but there closed. you can still see the account number and routing number, anyone know the general policy on this? can i just tape it together?

The joys of being home from college for the summer.

bauzer71487 said: Rip a $1.00 and see if they'll take that(they have to).

Actually, I believe the law is you must have 3/4ths of the bill if you want to go to a bank and get a new one. Read that recently when learning about stuff that pups like to eat

If you bring in half a bill, you're SOL (makes sense too, cause you can bring in two halves and request two dollars.

(...Then again, ripping 4 bills properly can give you 5 3/4s if you put them together...so...)

KLineD said: bauzer71487 said: Rip a $1.00 and see if they'll take that(they have to).

Actually, I believe the law is you must have 3/4ths of the bill if you want to go to a bank and get a new one. Read that recently when learning about stuff that pups like to eat

If you bring in half a bill, you're SOL (makes sense too, cause you can bring in two halves and request two dollars.

(...Then again, ripping 4 bills properly can give you 5 3/4s if you put them together...so...)

First, no bank is required to accept any currency from anyone.
If a bank does not want to deal with you or your money, they don't have to.

A bank can exchange any bill that is clearly more than half of the original bill with the Federal Reserve. Most banks will, as a service, accept such bills from customers and possibly others.

Bureau of Engraving and Printing - Mutilated Currency.

jdopple said: DiabloD3 said: blok said: well my BT check got ripped in half because my mom thought it was junk mail. I would call my bank to see what there policy is but there closed. you can still see the account number and routing number, anyone know the general policy on this? can i just tape it together?

What jail, death penalty in 4 states.

which 4 states are those?

hey guys confirmed with a friend at suntrust you can deposit a damaged check as long as you can see the bottom numbers, apparently it goes through a separate process then a normal check and there is a longer hold. and i did get it deposited.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014