• 1 234517
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I signed up for the free 7 day trial to Privacy Matters to get all 3 credit reports and scores. I called in to cancel today and they offered to give me a year for only $29.95, which is what they charge for 1 month of service. Then my membership will automatically cancel 1 year from today.

I haven't seen this mentioned before. please excuse me if it has, but I thought this was a great deal for anyone who's interested.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I got this message today... I just changed the phone number and it worked.

akhan7 (Jul. 25, 2009 @ 3:41p) |

tried another phone number today, still got the same message.

viptext (Jul. 30, 2009 @ 4:26p) |

Tijuana. Or perhaps San Juan ?

xoneinax (Jul. 30, 2009 @ 7:38p) |

***AUTOMATED DEAL DEAD AS OF June 2008***
***By speaking to live person, deal is still good***

As of Oct 02, this link is not working. I simply went to http://www.privacymatters.com/ and chose the Free Credit Report, followed the cancel steps as described, and was given the 1 year offer for $29.95.

UPDATE:

12/17/2008
1 pull per 30 days. no B***.

07/24/2008
from see post. Had to actually speak to a real person in order to get the $29.95/year deal

01/09/2008
from VanceWade. Had to experiment a bit to get the retention offer. The steps are different from those posted below, as I believe they changed their menus.

called the 1-877-993-6264 number
* Pressing 1 to cancel my service resulted in a request for my member number and then an immediate request to confirm my cancellation (no retention offer). I hung up.
I called back.
This time I pressed 2 for "more information on any of your benefits".
I pressed 1 to enter my member number. It said to get me to the right representative, please choose from options. I pressed 1 for questions about my monthly fee. Then it offered me the option to cancel service, and when I picked that, it offered me the $29.95 for a full year which would automatically cancel at the end of the term. I confirmed to accept the offer and authorize the charge to my card. It thanked me twice and the call ended. I was in.

09/22/2007
Here are the modified steps first posted by Trinidon2k:

Pasted this link into IE
https://www.privacymatters.com
Signed up by clicking 7 day free trial on bottom left
Submitted name and stuff
Submitted CC (virtual card) info
Clicked No Thanks to whatever the offer was
Got my membership number (mine took over 2 hours to come via email)
Called 1-877-993-6264
Pressed 1 and entered my membership number
Pressed 1 for questions about bill
Pressed 1 to cancel
Got message about $29.95 for a year that will automatically cancel on Sept. 21, 2008.
Pressed 1 to accept
The automated lady voice thanked me twice and that was it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
SavingSmart/Privacy Matters 1-2-3 link

Please do not go b* crazy with this service as the underlying service is still though TC, and cancellations of service have been documented here.

Rundown: (executed morning of 8/29/07, e-mails received afternoon of the same day)

You can sign up with the SavingSmart/Privacy Matters 1-2-3 link above. To 'cancel' and get the $29.95/yr offer, place a call to their automated toll-free number. You may do this a few minutes after you get the on-screen confirmation with the PrivacyMatters 123 membership number.

The option to cancel w/ the $29.95/yr one-time fee offer w/ no recurring charges was available by calling the automated toll-free number. From there, choose the option of: 'If you had a question about charges or fees' and then choose the option to 'cancel service'. Once you attempt to cancel, it offered me the special offer of $29.95/yr. I will dump the regular Wa1Mart Tru3Cr3dit $11.21/mth for this rebranded service.

To cancel SavingSmart immediately as well, call their toll free number. Pick the option to get your membership number. It will ask you for either the phone number or credit card number used for signup. I chose phone number. Once you have the membership number using the automated system, hang up, and call back the same automated line. This time, choose the option to cancel, which asks for the membership number, and to confirm prompts for the zip code used for signup. After this, it confirms cancellation.

After cancelling SavingSmart, you will get a cancellation confirmation e-mail. Note that in my case, because I cancelled so fast, the cancel e-mail came before the actual membership confirmation e-mail. I also got a membership confirmation e-mail for Privacy Matters 1-2-3 shortly after the SavingSmart e-mails.

[edit] shortcut for loggin in: http://privacymatters123.com/XIA/login.aspx?C1=YOURMEMBERID&C2=YOURZIPCODE&NR=1 (substitute your member id and zip code where the capital letters respectively are).

Offer Details:
Simply click "Submit" on the next page to activate your trial membership in Privacy Matters 1-2-3 and claim your Free 3-in-1 Credit Report and Triple Credit Score! To activate your trial membership to Privacy Matters 1-2-3, you will be charged/debited a $1.00 refundable processing fee and then you can immediately take advantage of the exciting savings Privacy Matters 1-2-3 has to offer! After your 7-day FREE trial period, it
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

That is typical for dealpass, also, which is run by the same monkeys....getting 1 year offer if you call to cancel...it is YMWV and might depend on where you signed up...

For a data point, about two weeks ago when I called to cancel, I went through the automatic phone system, and it canceled me automatically with no offer of any sort.

To add another data point, I used a link from my AOL email page. Didn't appear to be anything special, just sent me to their site. Here's the link:

https://www.privacymatters.com/Offers/Pages/OfferPages/AOL/XIA/FCR/635/index.aspx?ID=0F9D7815F422A5ACF95128EC0688F6CD&siteid=8623214229

I signed up for the 7 day free trial using a virtual credit card from Bofa shopsafe. Its been a month and I still have access to my daily reports. Anyone else get burned at the end by trying this?

terpaero said: I signed up for the 7 day free trial using a virtual credit card from Bofa shopsafe. Its been a month and I still have access to my daily reports. Anyone else get burned at the end by trying this?

Did you cancel it within the 7 day trial period?

Nope. And I haven't been charged beyond the $1 either as I set the virtual card limit as $2.

terpaero said: Nope. And I haven't been charged beyond the $1 either as I set the virtual card limit as $2.

Nice!

terpaero said: Nope. And I haven't been charged beyond the $1 either as I set the virtual card limit as $2.
You'll joi the blacklist at some point. At least this is what happened in similar Dealpass cases before.

Yes, there is the whole dealpass blacklisting...I got my dealpass programs canceled while had a privacy matter sub. and they canceled that, too..

I signed up for this deal last May, and I can verify that it does indeed cancel automatically; no need to worry about forgetting and being charged again. I thought the auto-cancel was a nice touch.

Of course, back then the deal was 1 year for $15, but that's life.

Voldaddy said: I signed up for the free 7 day trial to Privacy Matters to get all 3 credit reports and scores. I called in to cancel today and they offered to give me a year for only $29.95, which is what they charge for 1 month of service. Then my membership will automatically cancel 1 year from today.

I haven't seen this mentioned before. please excuse me if it has, but I thought this was a great deal for anyone who's interested.

Can I pull my new report daily like TrueCredit or not? I'm interested in cheap ways for bumpage.

Trucredit and Privacy Matters are the same...I believe PM is just rebranded...so yes "B"...

Just called to cancel a Privacy Matters 123 7-day trial and was given the automated offer for 1 year @ $29.95, so it's still around. The nice, automated voice said that it was being offered for a "limited time". I had just finished the same 1 year offer back in June and was having bumpage withdrawal, so I was happy to get this again. YMMV.

Is this offer for unlimited daily pulls and updated daily reports?

Because it sounds too good, maybe you can only get a new credit report monthly?
Someone confirm this.

NICE my $15 for a year deal just expired. Will be signing up for this one and my S/O.

maddybeagle said: Trucredit and Privacy Matters are the same...I believe PM is just rebranded...so yes "B"...

If Privacy Matters is just a rebranded TC, then why does TransUnion charge $29.99/mon. for PM and only $14.95/month for TC??????

LustfortheMoment said: maddybeagle said: Trucredit and Privacy Matters are the same...I believe PM is just rebranded...so yes "B"...

If Privacy Matters is just a rebranded TC, then why does TransUnion charge $29.99/mon. for PM and only $14.95/month for TC??????

Why does Exxon charge $3.00 for Super-unleaded, and the mobil across the street charge $3.14???

MARKETING!

pyro123 said: Is this offer for unlimited daily pulls and updated daily reports?

Someone confirm this.

Pyro, you can pull a new report every 24 hours. It's a GREAT deal! Give me some green!!!

LustfortheMoment said: maddybeagle said: Trucredit and Privacy Matters are the same...I believe PM is just rebranded...so yes "B"...

Things may have changed in the past year. But last year, Privacy Matters was a separate thing that used TrueCredit's engine. Basically, when you subscribed to Privacy Matters 123, there would have you register with TrueCredit and issue a gift certificate to your TrueCredit acct that paid for TrueCredit's monitoring service b/c of your subscription to Privacy Matters 123. Anyway, you could then log in directly on the TrueCredit website and do you stuff, forgetting about the connection between the two.

Now, under this year's program, you have to log into Privacy Matters 123 and they present a login to a separate user database under TrueCredit's engine. I know this b/c it refused to accept use username and password at first. Then I re-registered to TC throught PM's website and created the exact same user name and password. The PM/TC login shows me as a new member with no history. If I go to TC website directly, I can log in my username and password (I am using the same one on both sides) and instead, it shows me a member for many years w/ an expired subscription. It shows many, many, history entries of when I got my daily pulls. However, my report on both sides is identical.

Therefore, I look at the PM123 and TC relationship like an insurance company and an agent. The agent can do everything for you, but it really is the insurance company provided service. This would be like a Progressive agent/direct thing. You can go direct to the company and you can go through a progressive agent. You may get different prices, but the same company is providing the underlying protection.

Voldaddy said: pyro123 said: Is this offer for unlimited daily pulls and updated daily reports?

Someone confirm this.

Pyro, you can pull a new report every 24 hours. It's a GREAT deal! Give me some green!!!

Until they cancel you for no good reason.

Voldaddy said:

Did you used the posted signup link or this one which requires enrollement in the savingsmart and $1/month

Privacy Matters with Savings Smart

pyro123 said: Voldaddy said:

Did you used the posted signup link or this one which requires enrollement in the savingsmart and $1/month

I used the link you have, which also signs you up for the Savings Smart for $1.

Voldaddy said: pyro123 said: Voldaddy said:

I used the link you have, which also signs you up for the Savings Smart for $1.

Strange, the link is not working for me.

01LX said:
Strange, the link is not working for me.

Did not work for me in Firefox, but at the same time worked just fine in IE. Apparently, they don't want those "advanced" folks who use Firefox .

Deal dead? Tried to cancel today, after 9 pm CST when they close, no automated cancel system, no offer, they just hung up on me.

I just tried to cancel my trail membership and offered $29.95 for a year. Cool. I called at 9:30AM Central time

Awesome deal OP! Signed up with the SavingSmart / Privacy Matters 1-2-3 link. Called in to their toll-free number a few minutes after I got the on-screen confirmation with the membership number.

Rundown:

The option to cancel w/ the $29.95/yr one-time fee offer w/ no recurring charges was available if you 'had a question about charges or fees' and later chose the option to cancel. I will dump the regular Wa1Mart Tru3Cr3dit $11.21/mth for this rebranded service.

To cancel SavingSmart immediately as well, call their toll free number. Pick the option to get your membership number. It will ask you for either the phone number or credit card number used for signup. I chose phone number. Once you have the membership number using the automated system, hang up, and call back the same automated line. This time, choose the option to cancel, which asks for the membership number, and to confirm prompts for the zip code used for signup. After this, it confirms cancellation.

Green for you OP, for such a great deal on getting cheap credit monitoring!

No doubt a fantastic offer, one for which I have successfully completed myself thus far. But haven't you all been keeping up on how Truecredit is onto Bumpage? What makes you think PM won't follow suit?

toy4two said: Deal dead? Tried to cancel today, after 9 pm CST when they close, no automated cancel system, no offer, they just hung up on me.

I can report by not using automated system and talking to a real person I was able to get the deal! Thanks Op! This is awesome. These companies make lots of money off people who use it for b* like me and my g/f. There is no other reason we would use this service.

Don't use the saving smart option, just get the regular Privacy Matters 123 $1 trial, thats all I did. Second year in a row, easier to cancel once than two programs.

I am trying to sign up for the free trial (so I can cancel) and I keep getting an error:

We are sorry. Your order cannot be processed. (7090)

I called the listed number 1-877-993-6264 and was told they can not enroll over the phone, there is no online support, and they did not know what the error is.
Anybody have any different numbers or any experience with this error?

I dont see the link as well but I sign up thru the other link. We'll see
What do you think of Credit Diagnosis, looks similar?

Text

wow, that was way too easy. took less than 10 minutes from signup to cancellation and just did it now without having to talk to a single human.

Yeah went smoothly for me as well. Didn't go thru the savingsmart link just the regular free trial (or $1 refundable). Then called 1-877-993-6264. Option 1 to enter my member ID. After entering it, option 1 to question membership fee, option 1 to cancel and got automated offer but this time not for $29.95 like mentioned here but only $19.95 for the year! Didn't take me too long to accept that.

Thanks OP for the deal.

I got an interesting aspx error page with this link. There are some minimally interesting geeky details, but the main exception message is:
GetLandingPageEntity : Check Gamers analysis

Perhaps they have identified that specific link as getting a lot of use by people "gaming" the system? They should certainly have a better exception handler in place even if this is a rare occurence to them.

Woo hoo! I got it!

But now I feel kind of bummed that I got the 29.95 offer, and not the 19.95 like Shandril. Is it some kind of lottery?

Now to do the wife...

(FAT WALLET IS PHAT, YO!)

UPDATE: Not so easy to do the wife from the same computer...I get the "thank you" page instead of the sign-up page! Weird. I even deleted cookies. Maybe it's an IP thing? Do I need to go through a proxy?

SlimTim said:

I got an interesting aspx error page with this link. There are some minimally interesting geeky details, but the main exception message is:
GetLandingPageEntity : Check Gamers analysis

Perhaps they have identified that specific link as getting a lot of use by people "gaming" the system? They should certainly have a better exception handler in place even if this is a rare occurence to them.

Yeah, I think you are onto something...the error message only seems to come up when fatwallet.com is in the referral link (which is what you really get when you click on a hyperlink at FatWallet)...if you take the original link and copy-and-paste it into your browser, you no longer get the error screen.

Green for you, OP! Called at 6:25pm Pacific Time and responded to the prompts detailed above. I received the 29.95 offer. Still a tremendous deal -- if there aren't any catches!

deleted

Skipping 602 Messages...
PuertoRicanGringo said: I want the cheapest one that gives a daily tugTijuana. Or perhaps San Juan ?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014