• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just saw the banner when I am in HSBC online banking...

Open an HSBC Interest Checking Account and receive a $50 Cash Bonus* OR free checking for $25 bonus. WHAT A DEAL LOL!

Get $50 NOW!

- $50 bonus: need $3000 new money deposit
- $25 bonus: no limit on new deposit
- Never a hard pull for HSBC account opening (my own experience)
- OFFER ENDS 09/30/07!

(I am not sure if the bonus works for 1st time HSBC customers... but it looks like existing HSBC customers with checking accounts can benefit this time- let me know if I misunderstood...)

Details:

To simplify banking, many HSBC customers open two checking accounts. The first account is used for routine items like food, clothes, and entertainment. The second is reserved for special purchases like home improvements, child care, and tuition.

A second checking account – the smart way to track expenses!
Having two accounts can make expense tracking and tax preparation a lot easier. Every HSBC checking account offers Free Internet Banking and Bill Pay and an HSBC Debit MasterCard® with PayPass™. Plus, get extra benefits depending on which account you choose. Two of our most popular checking accounts are:

* Interest Checking is a great way to get a competitive rate of return on your money. It’s free if you sign up for direct deposit. You can also upgrade to the Smart Package and link Interest Checking with a Premium Money Market Plus Savings Account.

* Free Checking gives you lots of useful features, and there are no monthly maintenance fees, minimum balances, or direct deposit requirements.

Get more for your banking, apply for your second Interest Checking account today – now that’s smart! But hurry, this offer ends September 30, 2007!

1. Apply online (use the Apply Now link above)
2. Visit any HSBC branch.
3. Call 1-866-427-2065 to apply by phone.

* If you qualify for one of the above offers, the money will be deposited in your new checking account within 6 to 8 weeks after the account opening. Limited to one (1) offer per household. Offer Expires September 30, 2007, and cannot be combined with other offers. To qualify for $50 offer, you must open an Interest Checking account with an initial deposit of $3,000 of new money. New money means funds not previously held by any member of the HSBC Group. The Annual Percentage Yield (APY) for the Interest Checking account of 0.05% is accurate as of July 18, 2007 on balances of $5.00 or more. APY is variable and is subject to change after opening. Charges and fees may reduce earnings. Cash bonus is considered interest income and will be reported on IRS Form 1099-INT. HSBC reserves the right to charge your checking account an amount equal to the bonus if your checking account does not remain active and open for 180 days. To qualify for $25 offer, you must open a Free Checking account and an HSBC Debit MasterCard with PayPass™.

** Minimum balance requirements to avoid monthly maintenance fee apply if direct deposit ceases.

Member Summary
Or you can get $75...

Text
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I opened a similar account with $3K but moved $2,990 out after the opening to online savings. After 8 weeks I called to see why I didn't receive the $50. They said I did not qualify because the $3K must stay in the account until the bonus is credited.

BrunoB said: I opened a similar account with $3K but moved $2,990 out after the opening to online savings. After 8 weeks I called to see why I didn't receive the $50. They said I did not qualify because the $3K must stay in the account until the bonus is credited.

Why didn't you argue? Assuming that the TOA are the same:

"To qualify for $50 offer, you must open an Interest Checking account with an initial deposit of $3,000 of new money."

Initial means initial. . not - until credited.

bauzer71487 said: BrunoB said: I opened a similar account with $3K but moved $2,990 out after the opening to online savings. After 8 weeks I called to see why I didn't receive the $50. They said I did not qualify because the $3K must stay in the account until the bonus is credited.

Why didn't you argue? Assuming that the TOA are the same:

"To qualify for $50 offer, you must open an Interest Checking account with an initial deposit of $3,000 of new money."

Initial means initial. . not - until credited.

Try that with some guy in the Philippines (call center). It also says "If you qualify, $50 will be deposited into your savings account 6 to 8 weeks after account opening." What the heck is "If you qualify"? That could mean anything.

looks like "if you qualify" just means an Interest Checking account, open with 3k that's not with hsbc, and by 9/30/07

can you ask for a supervisor

jamesfatwallet said: looks like "if you qualify" just means an Interest Checking account, open with 3k that's not with hsbc, and by 9/30/07

can you ask for a supervisor

I went through the whole nine yards. Research, call backs, supervisors, etc. No cigar at the end. Very frustrating... I am now inclined to open only with a real person (banker) at a branch if I get a promo in the mail so that they can code it.

In for the $25

Update summary with $75 deal, non-targeted:

http://us.hsbc.com/getchecking

While the HSBC online savings at 5.05% is not too bad the INTEREST CHECKING is a joke. 0.05% that is 5/100 of 1%. Not sure you would even notice an interest rate so low.

On a lighter note, I do use HSBC as it is convenient to move mony from Online savings to checking for paying bills, opening other accounts, etc. So HSBC is not all bad, but their Interest checking is bad.

I saw an ad for 6.25% on interest checking at a local Tennesse bank the other day. Wilson Bank & Trust out of Lebanon. They have some rules to get this ofcourse, but I am thinking of giving it a try.

Bank Deals Link to Wilson Bank & Trust

Cheers

You need almost 15% APR to earn $75 on $3000 in 2 month
I'd say this deal is a no-brainer. How difficult is to close an account with them?

BrunoB said: [
I went through the whole nine yards. Research, call backs, supervisors, etc. No cigar at the end. Very frustrating... I am now inclined to open only with a real person (banker) at a branch if I get a promo in the mail so that they can code it.

BrunoB, I received it in the mail (it was targeted), took it to a branch. Asked him; he says "yeah, you don't have to keep it in". But other than this remark, which he wouldn't remember 3 days later (when I pulled 2999 out), let alone 3 months later - what exactly is the advantage of opening at a branch???

P.S. I also paypal $1 monthly to avoid charges.

TheGersh said: Update summary with $75 deal, non-targeted:

http://us.hsbc.com/getchecking

TheGersh, I got my $75 earlier this year - do I remember incorrectly that the original offer didn't require any initial deposit...Just $3000 to avoid charges or $1 paypal DD to achieve same?

Also, any ideas on how to pull another $75 out of them into the household? Green to you for the notice that this offer is alive!!!!

igost said: How difficult is to close an account with them?

Quite easy. All I did was write them a bank email and it was done in a day.

noSSNumber said: BrunoB said: [

BrunoB, I received it in the mail (it was targeted), took it to a branch. Asked him; he says "yeah, you don't have to keep it in". But other than this remark, which he wouldn't remember 3 days later (when I pulled 2999 out), let alone 3 months later - what exactly is the advantage of opening at a branch???

P.S. I also paypal $1 monthly to avoid charges.

I did the same thing at the branch. Got the credit and it is now below $10. Must wait 6 months before closing it. Advantage is that you can contact/visit the banker who opened your account if there is a problem. Other than that, none.

I am considering to print the $75 offer and take it to a branch on Monday and see how it goes. I am gun-shy opening online.

I never got my $25 from HSBC after 6 mos of asking about this checking account:
-Phone customer service puts me on hold long time for every time I call.
-direct contact with HSBC and customer service said "I don't know about this promotion, if it is online account then contact online department."
-Email to HSBC online department and never get a reply.

HSBC banking way is horrible. Imaging if you need your own money and can't get to it even directly face to face!
I am so happy that I did a test and they fail in every way.

beautyt42 said: I never got my $25 from HSBC after 6 mos of asking about this checking account:
-Phone customer service puts me on hold long time for every time I call.
-direct contact with HSBC and customer service said "I don't know about this promotion, if it is online account then contact online department."
-Email to HSBC online department and never get a reply.

HSBC banking way is horrible. Imaging if you need your own money and can't get to it even directly face to face!
I am so happy that I did a test and they fail in every way.

I would not fool around with $3K deposit and online application. It would be totally a hit or miss. No code to keep track of and hours of frustration back and forth with an overseas CSR. A sales rep told me the other day for another similar promo that $3K has to stay until the bonus is credited.

I'm a little bit confused. I did a similar promotion a few months back and got the $75 bonus already. If I open a second account, does that mean I have to have a combined balance of $6000 between my online savings and two interest checking accounts to get the bonus?

theboogeyman said: I'm a little bit confused. I did a similar promotion a few months back and got the $75 bonus already. If I open a second account, does that mean I have to have a combined balance of $6000 between my online savings and two interest checking accounts to get the bonus?

They just opened my 2nd checking account today and i m waiting for the opening deposit to appear. (they haven't debited from my other bank account yet).

Once the money is there, i'll ask and post back.

@beautyt42: I am sorry to hear about your past with HSBC. I got the Mariott deal, $25 bonus for billpay (the link in FW), $10 bonus for debit card w/o any problem, now I m here for $50 bonus (hope it goes smoothly - actually I even received a pamphlet from HSBC about that "WHAT A DEAL" offer after I applied for that deal 2 days later lol). My mom was got the same bonus as mine except she had problem getting the $25 bonus for billpay before. I sent a bankmail and they said they would look into that matter. After 2 months, I still haven't heard from them, so I sent out another bankmail asking "how come for two months, it is still under investigation? She is a first time billpay user, what needs to be investigated?", then two days after they credited the money. I never called tho.

Just do a simple math and try to compare this:

1) $3000 @ 5% interest per year ~= $150 divide by 2 = $75. You can withdraw this anytime.
2) $3000 stuck with HSBC for 180 days plus the hassel to chase the $75 or $50 bonus

It's your call. This kind of promotion is for teenager.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014