Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I keep hearing of an 801k but I am having a hard time finding out details.
Does anyone here know anything about this?

~M

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

I hear it is almost twice as good as a 401k but not quite.

An 801(k) is a dividend reinvestment program (DRIP). A simple google search would have told you this.

http://www.stockgumshoe.com/2007/07/us-801k-plans-double-returns-from-401ks.html

Back in 2001 I kept hearing about 201K's......

Serious question, does anyone know of a discount brokerage that also has low certificate fees?

jayK said: An 801(k) is a dividend reinvestment program (DRIP). A simple google search would have told you this.

http://www.stockgumshoe.com/2007/07/us-801k-plans-double-returns-from-401ks.html
While that seems to be what some scammy spam letters are calling DRIPs, there is no IRS code section 801(k).

theman2 said: jayK said: An 801(k) is a dividend reinvestment program (DRIP). A simple google search would have told you this.

While that seems to be what some scammy spam letters are calling DRIPs, there is no IRS code section 801(k).
the link acknowledges that the author overtly says 801(k) is a term he coined because the POTENTIAL exists to double the returns of a 401(k). Then again, most people who invest in their 401(k)'s probably don't know where that term came from either!

dcwilbur said: the link acknowledges that the author overtly says 801(k) is a term he coined because the POTENTIAL exists to double the returns of a 401(k). Then again, most people who invest in their 401(k)'s probably don't know where that term came from either!Yeah. My reply was not slamming you. It was directed at the source of your quote. Someone coined '801k' because it is similar to 401(k) which is a widely known type of retirement account (which happens to be named after an IRS code section). While most people have no idea where 401k originates, people do recognize it as something legitimate. Unforunately, there is nothing legitimate about flogging high dividend DRIPs that magically perform twice as well as another investment.

Let me guess, did you see this SCAM advertised on the eBay homepage?

there is NO SUCH THING as an 801k, its a marketing gimmick and basically you are paying for information as mentioned above

Finally saw this ad pop up on my screen...

What a joke...

dcwilbur said: Finally saw this ad pop up on my screen...

What a joke...

HAHAHA Thanks for the laugh!

I love these lines:
His job at the IRS barely paid the bills. Despite working there for 23 years he never once got a promotion. In fact, in his last seven years of work, his salary increased by just $150. In short, Canter's approaching retirement looked bleak.
No raise over the course of the last 7 years? That is the point where you quit and find a new job.
Also, I thought government jobs have standard across the board raise system.

Thanks for the read..

tazzy531 said: dcwilbur said: Finally saw this ad pop up on my screen...

What a joke...

HAHAHA Thanks for the laugh!

I love these lines:
His job at the IRS barely paid the bills. Despite working there for 23 years he never once got a promotion. In fact, in his last seven years of work, his salary increased by just $150. In short, Canter's approaching retirement looked bleak.
No raise over the course of the last 7 years? That is the point where you quit and find a new job.
Also, I thought government jobs have standard across the board raise system.

Thanks for the read..

I really feel sorry for the poor, financially-stretched not-too-savvy people who are the target of these ads... though I also realize that they are grown-up humans with (biological, if not figurative) brains and free will who should be allowed to do what they want with their own money and future...

Anakin

dcwilbur said: Finally saw this ad pop up on my screen...

What a joke...

I just saw an ad from these guys at cnn's money section, here specifically

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014