• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi
I know Citibank has virtual credit cards and I was just wondering which other ones also have virtual credit card numbers? and if so, can you set the time limit and spend limit?
Thanks

Member Summary
Bank of America
Citi
Discover
Fidelity Visa
Wachovia
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Fidelity Visa card has virtual numbers.

You can set both the time limit and spend limit.

I use virtual CC from BankOfAm and Citi. From this thread it appears that Discove_r offers virtual CC too.

I agree with Montee. I've used the Citi virtual card, but the ShopSafe option with my Fidelity Investments card (offered via FIA) allows more flexibility for specifying duration and amount.

In reality,there are such excellent protections these days for cc fraud which probably make the use of virtual cards a type of "overkill"......

LustfortheMoment said: I agree with Montee. I've used the Citi virtual card, but the ShopSafe option with my Fidelity Investments card (offered via FIA) allows more flexibility for specifying duration and amount.

the Citi virtual card allows you to generate a virtual #, a virtual # with a credit limit, or a virtual # with a credit and time limit. (the last 2 are under advanced options, i didn't know about them until another user pointed them out).

how is the shopsafe one more flexibile? (in case i should switch...)

Is it possible to create a virtual debit card from Citibank? I have a checking account there.

Discover card also offers virtual card # facility...whenever I used it, it never asked me for any limit for $ amount (but I was using web based option...$ limit option might be in downloaded software)

cool thanks for the replies..It might be overkill but I feel safer using them and when we are finding/buying hot deals we don't want businesses to end up charging us more for it, hence set a limit on it

I don't think it's an overkill at all... Sure you can dispute errorneous or fraud charges and the CC company likely will revert the charge. But consider the hassle of disputing a bunch of charges plus having to close your account and getting a new card.
I have Wachovia, Citi, and Chase CC but I use Chase exclusively now due to its 0% APR purchase and BT, but Chase doesn't have Virtual numbers. Wachovia(FIA) ShopSafe and Citi VAN uses the same GUI with the same functionalities, I bet they are created(provided) by the same backend company.

i've heard that shopsafe and fidelity and other FIA services don't respect the dollar limits you set on the cards. is that true?

do the citi virtual cards respect the dollar limits? for example, if you set a limit of $10 and the merchant tries to charge you $100, does the charge go through?

thinvalet said: do the citi virtual cards respect the dollar limits? for example, if you set a limit of $10 and the merchant tries to charge you $100, does the charge go through?No. But if the limit is set to $X and the charge is $X, it will usually be rejected, so I always set it for a few dollars higher.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014