MINT.COM - The Official Thread

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Mint.com (powered by Yodlee) is officially launched today.

Mint.com

Sign-up for Mint.com

This is the thread to discuss

(I'm about to sign up now)
----------------------------------------------------
Your finances are now in one place
Mint allows you to view all of your banking and credit card transactions side-by-side, making identifying all of your transactions much easier and faster than ever before.
How does this help you? We make it easy for you to track down erroneous charges or bank fees, and keep a closer eye on your money.
Mint even lets you label your transactions so you know what bills you need to split with your friends or roommates, know which ones need to be reimbursed for your company, and more.

Know your financial health
Checking the balances on all your credit cards and bank accounts at the same time is now as easy as looking at the balances section inside Mint.
No more logging into multiple online banking sites or balancing your checkbooks.
Our financial health feature compares your cash and debt so you know at-a-glance how you are doing financially.

You’re automatically up-to-date
Mint works by connecting to the banks and credit card companies you use in your daily life. We support 3,000 US banks and credit card companies.
Once an account is added, Mint automatically keeps it balanced and up-to-date forever.
What does this mean to you? Your transactions and balances are all in one place, and we alert you if anything looks not quite right in any of them, saving you time and hassle.

Know where your money goes
We automatically categorize your transactions so you know immediately how much you’re spending on food, gas, groceries, entertainment, and more.
You get a complete overview of all spending, and the ability to drill down to individual categories to see spending by merchant, as well as over certain months of the year.
Spending trends throughout Mint show you your spending history for different merchants and categories automatically.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Thanks. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

vKafe (Jan. 13, 2009 @ 7:38a) |

Though when it comes to the normal banking type accounts mint.com = yodlee in terms of support.

infecto (Jan. 13, 2009 @ 7:53a) |

Hey, to get your ING accounts working with Mint.com, follow these steps:

1) Log into your ING account.
2) Update your "cha... (more)

ecb5649 (Feb. 15, 2009 @ 10:09p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

I just signed up. So far very slow, maybe that's because so many are signing up.

I tried adding my Chase cards, but that failed, probably because Yodlee is having problems updating Chase credit cards lately.

I would like to see how this differs from yodlee if it's powered by them.

Well so far every account I tried to add gives me this message:

--------------------------------------------------
Cannot add

Mint ran into a problem while adding your account.

* This issue has been reported to Mint
* Your passwords are always private & secure

Maybe not ready for prime time yet?

I've been beta-testing Mint for a few weeks. Compared to Yodlee, it's pretty bare-bones at the moment. They allow you to view balances of bank/credit union accounts and credit cards. Big focus on classifying transactions, although so far you cannot make custom categories. No investment/points/miles/mortgages or billpay yet. They really focused on the interface though, using Ajax to make it very eye-catching and pretty to look at/use.

The site is still very much in Beta, as they have a ton of functionality to implement before it's up to par with Yodlee.

zoop76 said: Well so far every account I tried to add gives me this message:

Cannot add

I tried as well and had the same issue.

zoop76 said: --------------------------------------------------
Cannot add

I got this error the first time but now it is working, albeit very slowly.

I hope the name "mint.com" is also beta. There are better names for sites available.

Looks like this is Yodlee's response to Wesabe.com. Same idea... What's the difference? Wesabe doesn't ask you for your passwords! You log in securely from your own computer and upload your transactions anonymously. They have a FireFox plugin that will do it for you (even add support to a new bank/CU on the fly) and they published open API, so that you can create your own tools. Their analytics is worthless though.

What's the advantage of Yodlee-powered sites and Mint.com? Automated refresh, I guess, which you do not have to initiate. But there is no way to schedule it with other Yodlee sites; only Mint.com offers nightly refresh (I usually just hit "Refresh All" in EasyView, close the browser and come back later).

I use neither yoodle nor mint, but is sounds like mint will become the free version of yoodle and yoodle will become a fee based service.

Very basic, interface looks more graphical than yodlee, but long way to go for this to be functional to be used regularly like yodlee.

I'll stick with Yodlee.

Why is no one concerned with giving out bank/credit card username/passwords to these sites (Yodlee and Mint) Am I being paranoid or are others concerned with this?

Forgive me if this was covered earlier.

Today I tried to add an account again, but now I am getting a different error message:

We experienced an error while trying to show the status of your account update. Please reload this page to fix the problem.

I hit reload, and the add account fails.

retire35 said: I hope the name "mint.com" is also beta. There are better names for sites available.

I think the name is staying. They paid major dollars for that domain name.

logicology said: retire35 said: I hope the name "mint.com" is also beta. There are better names for sites available.

I think the name is staying. They paid major dollars for that domain name.

One might even say they paid a mint for it.

one thing that mint offer is savings suggestion based on spending habits . Does anyone got any good saving suggestion .

I've been having issues with Yodlee recently so I tried adding my accounts to Mint.com. I'm getting ...
Cannot add

Perhaps they're just off to a rough start. The interface is pretty. Go UI folks, but I think they need to spend more time on the functionality.

manuvns said: one thing that mint offer is savings suggestion based on spending habits . Does anyone got any good saving suggestion .

Their suggestions seem to come from their advertisers, and while they're not bad, they are based on incomplete information. For example, it tells me that I could make more money by getting an MMA account at E*Trade (5.05%) rather than keeping my money at BofA. Now, generally, that would be true if I had regular BoA Savings, but they don't know that I have the DoW and AAA accounts which pay more than 5.05%, and there's no way for me to input that.

DiscusRapidus said: Why is no one concerned with giving out bank/credit card username/passwords to these sites (Yodlee and Mint) Am I being paranoid or are others concerned with this?

I know what you mean, and I struggle putting that info in there. However, so far no trouble. Yodlee sells their services to many banks, I'm trusting that their web technology is as secure as it can be.

letsgetsilly said: DiscusRapidus said: Why is no one concerned with giving out bank/credit card username/passwords to these sites (Yodlee and Mint) Am I being paranoid or are others concerned with this?

I know what you mean, and I struggle putting that info in there. However, so far no trouble. Yodlee sells their services to many banks, I'm trusting that their web technology is as secure as it can be.

Hopefully, it's more secure than some of the bank's own technology!

zoop76 said: Well so far every account I tried to add gives me this message:

Cannot add

They have a new message up:
Mint is currently experiencing delays adding accounts.

Your accounts will continue to process in the background. It may take up to an hour for your transactions and balances to come through.

Usually linking an account takes 30-90 seconds, but since winning TechCrunch40, and being featured in PCWorld, Digg, and San Francisco Chronicle our volume has gone up over 100x.

Now if that were only up for an hour, that might be ok. In my case, it's been up for 24. Definitely not ready for prime time.

Unspeaked said: letsgetsilly said: DiscusRapidus said: Why is no one concerned with giving out bank/credit card username/passwords to these sites (Yodlee and Mint) Am I being paranoid or are others concerned with this?

Hopefully, it's more secure than some of the bank's own technology!
Convenience vs. Security. Everybody is concerned with both. Yodlee is probably a huge target for electronic thieves. One day, perhaps, a way will be discovered to get at usernames and passwords for the site and those that use it will have to act quick once word gets out that there has been a security breach. Its not going to be something that happens quietly, and as a result, it won't be something that affects too many people beyond having to change usernames/passwords at their financial institutions. Those that do get "robbed" will have recourse so long as their accounts are not at treasurydirect.gov One reason to remove treasurydirect.gov from your yodlee accounts, IMHO.

addy2000 said: They have a new message up:

Your accounts will continue to process in the background. It may take up to an hour for your transactions and balances to come through.

Usually linking an account takes 30-90 seconds, but since winning TechCrunch40, and being featured in PCWorld, Digg, and San Francisco Chronicle our volume has gone up over 100x.
Gosh, I hope they don't win anymore awards!

addy2000 said: They have a new message up:

Holy eff, Now featured in Fatwallet Finance!

Will it cost any financial charges from banks? I remember BoF started charging 5$/month then I was pulling data to MS Money..

I didn't find Fidelity investments there.. My IRA and 401K is sitting there would be nice to see it in MINT.

Thanks

bah.

ColbyS said: Anyone that keeps all of their financial information stored online in one location in a relatively unsecure environment does not deserve to be a FW'er.Do you know something about the "relative" security of the Mint.com environment?

henare said: folks, mint is a yodlee customer ...Isn't that what OP said in the very first line, "Mint.com (powered by Yodlee) is officially launched today."

DavidScubadiver said: henare said: folks, mint is a yodlee customer ...Isn't that what OP said in the very first line, "Mint.com (powered by Yodlee) is officially launched today."

Any difference as compared to HSBC or BOFA version?

I like it thus far. One major glitch is it doesn't pick up my Wells Fargo Credit Card, only the savings/checkings account

Mint.com is no big deal, IMHO!

There are many companies that use Services provided by Yodlee.

I'd just stick with Fidelity Full view, since I log in to check my portfolio anyways.

NeuroSynapsis said: I like it thus far. One major glitch is it doesn't pick up my Wells Fargo Credit Card, only the savings/checkings account

If it's anything like Citi, you just need to set these up twice. Try looking for 'Wells Fargo Credit' or 'Wells Fargo Credit Cards' in their list. It will probably be a separate entry from 'Wells Fargo Bank' which you already have set up.

addy2000 said: NeuroSynapsis said: I like it thus far. One major glitch is it doesn't pick up my Wells Fargo Credit Card, only the savings/checkings account

If it's anything like Citi, you just need to set these up twice. Try looking for 'Wells Fargo Credit' or 'Wells Fargo Credit Cards' in their list. It will probably be a separate entry from 'Wells Fargo Bank' which you already have set up.

That's what I figured too, nope. Only one entry for "Wells Fargo".

retire35 said: DavidScubadiver said: henare said: folks, mint is a yodlee customer ...Isn't that what OP said in the very first line, "Mint.com (powered by Yodlee) is officially launched today."

Any difference as compared to HSBC or BOFA version?
I think the distinction is that mint.com offers a financial blog platform and also targets advertising to its users, supposedly to get you thinking about higher yielding accounts, cheaper bills, etc. Sort of like g-mail. It seems a bit slow. And I can't figure out if there is a way to give a nick name to your account -- in other words I have several chase credit cards but can't tell which is which for several which just downloaded as "credit card". No luck adding bank accounts or brokerage accounts. Not even sure if its possible to do the latter.

I can't seem to get it to connect to GMAC Bank. It says that my username and password are wrong. Is this because GMAC uses SafeKeys?

Thought I'd bump this thread since Mint released some new features yesterday. Is anybody using this site in favor of Yodlee proper? I really like the simplified interface and spending-at-a-glance, though deeper analysis is still very limited.

There's a New York Times article today that features Mint.

Is anyone using it now? Any good? Does it have advantages over Fidelity or Quicken?

Skipping 52 Messages...
Hey, to get your ING accounts working with Mint.com, follow these steps:

1) Log into your ING account.
2) Update your "challenge questions" with correct answers, and save them. (You don't even have to change them, just re-enter them)
3) Log into Mint.com
4) Update your ING account "challenge questions" with the answers you just provided.
5) Watch Mint.com go!

It worked fine for me, though I forgot what my challenge questions were when I was trying to link up ING the first time. That's why resetting the challenge questions is a good idea

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014