• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Got a flyer in the mail - Navy Federal is running a special - if you add direct deposit to a checking account and have it active before December 15, they will put $100 in your account for free. The only fine print is the direct deposit must be received by December 15th 2007 and must be for over $100.

There is no requirement to keep it after that. The funds will be deposited in your account on December 17th. After that, just move your direct deposit back to somewhere else.

This might be of interest to people who are already members. Navy Federal is a good credit union with decent CD specials similar to PenFed every now and again. Membership is somewhat limited however.

You can check them out at:

Navy Federal Home Page
Link to Promotion
Link to scan of flyer

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
It wasn't easy for me. Definitely YMMV in my case. Good thing I had kept a copy of the printout.

01LX (Jan. 16, 2008 @ 3:41p) |

Can I be your girl(boy)friend?

bradman (Feb. 05, 2008 @ 9:41a) |

I have several NAVY FCU CD's that mature in May and June. These were great rates and I must now deal with "where to pl... (more)

pattyb53 (Apr. 28, 2008 @ 10:51a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Do you mind scanning the flyer? I've been with Navy Federal from the start, I'd like to get this.

No Problem:

Image Flyer

This PDF has the important part. I don't think you really need they flyer to make it happen though.

Fine print indicates offer only good for members who received mailing directly from Navy FCU.

Also: Eligibility is based on not having already having a direct deposit going to your checking account. I wonder whether Navy considers ACH transfers from other accounts to be direct deposits. If so, then it doesn't seem you'd be eligible if you're pushing funds to Navy from external accounts.

I would label this a "YMMV," at least for now.

Didn't notice the mailer line. I bet if you called they would hook it up even if you didn't get the mailer. I doubt I won the lottery.

Anyway, I agree and added YMMV in the title.

Actual link to Navy Federal $100 direct deposit promotion

Its a nice promotion, worthy of jumping on board. But not everybody can just join the NFCU.

When I made the thread, the link didn't work. Glad to see it is now active. There is no mention of the flyer in the fine print of the link, so I think anyone who can open a checking account with NavyFed and doesn't have direct deposit now qualifies. So maybe less of a YMMV! I made the payroll change on Friday, heres to a hundred bucks!

Thanks OP.

Doc Long

But how are you going to be qualified for the membership? It seems to be quite strict. Any ideas you can share?

@ snipeman -- I agree, no longer YMMV as to the flyer. However, I'm still curious whether existing ACH links with other external accounts will be viewed as existing direct direct deposits and therefore render the account ineligible. Thanks again for the post.

How to be eligible for membership? Is there any association that we can join?

I doubt existing ACH transfers would kill this deal. They mention pension paycheck etc for over $100. They can tell th source of the ACH. I find Navy Federal pretty reasonable to work with. I think if your bonus doesn't come through automatically a phone call would fix the problem.

I'm afraid I'm not much help for membership ideas. I was lucky and had an in-law in the Navy. I joined about 2 years ago when they ran a 6.25% CD special. Believe me, there have been many credit union deals I've been on the outside looking in at. Mainly good CD rates I couldn't invest in. Sometimes credit unions work for us, sometimes they don't.

Unfortunately you can't sign up for on-line finger painting at a Maryland university to quality for Navy Fed like you can for the SECU deal.

duanmumg said: How to be eligible for membership? Is there any association that we can join?
I've heard that joining the Marine Corps has worked for some.

I'm in the Army National Guard and was able to join because we use a facility on a Navy base. It's a pretty nice CU. I got this flyer and I'm going to switch over for a couple of months.

Im in the air force and I got in. I used to be stationed at NAS whiting. I'm just going to do a paypal transfer or maybe a small direct deposit. I hear its easy to do on mypay.

This is not just for Navy members. If you have a family in ANY branch of military, you can join in (if that person is also a member).
What considered as family by NFCU is broad:
* Grandparents
* Parents
* Spouse
* Siblings
* Children (includes adopted, foster and stepchildren)
* Grandchildren
* Household Members

Once I asked NFCU customer service if I can add my girlfriend, who is also my roommate (a household member), and she said yes. I applied an account for her and there she got it.

The nice thing about NFCU is that incoming wire transfer domestically and internationally is FREE. So this is a good deal for a student who receives incoming wire transfer from abroad. Plus its check card is part of Co-op network where I can pull money out of any ATM in any 7-11.

What ACH from other bank is considered as direct deposit to get this deal?

I received $100 back in my account labeled "CKG Promo Incentive"

Less than a month easiest $100 !!!

hard or soft pull

hard or soft pull

Question, with all these direct deposit bonuses, does it have to be hooked up to where I work? I work for a small landscaping company, no direct deposits for me. Can I hookup like a paypal account or something?

calisoldier83 said: I received $100 back in my account labeled "CKG Promo Incentive"

Less than a month easiest $100 !!!

I had mine in 3 days after my first direct deposit hit.

FortMarcy said: duanmumg said: How to be eligible for membership? Is there any association that we can join?
I've heard that joining the Marine Corps has worked for some.

Worked for me.

Those who already received the $100 bonus: Did you push money from another bank (ACH transfer) as your direct deposit? If so, what bank did you use? Thanks.

It wasn't easy for me. Definitely YMMV in my case. Good thing I had kept a copy of the printout.

stsarvet said: This is not just for Navy members. If you have a family in ANY branch of military, you can join in (if that person is also a member).
What considered as family by NFCU is broad:
* Grandparents
* Parents
* Spouse
* Siblings
* Children (includes adopted, foster and stepchildren)
* Grandchildren
* Household Members

Once I asked NFCU customer service if I can add my girlfriend, who is also my roommate (a household member), and she said yes. I applied an account for her and there she got it.

The nice thing about NFCU is that incoming wire transfer domestically and internationally is FREE. So this is a good deal for a student who receives incoming wire transfer from abroad. Plus its check card is part of Co-op network where I can pull money out of any ATM in any 7-11.

Can I be your girl(boy)friend?

I have several NAVY FCU CD's that mature in May and June. These were great rates and I must now deal with "where to place my funds" until rates get better.

My SECU CD's are maturing early May. MH83 gave an excellent review on withdrawing those funds.

Now, my NAVY funds are another thing. How are you folks planning to withdraw NAVY money?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014