• filter:
  • 1 234563
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Okay, it looks like the "Reward Checking Account" is going mainstream, and rather than flood the Best current APY/APRs: The Daughter of The Mother - Checking, Saving, and Money Market: All Liquid Accnt Interest Rates! thread with too many of these accounts, I thought it would be a good idea to reference this link in that thread, so people know where to go to find these types of deals if they are interested. This is done primarily because a lot of people, for reasons known only to them, don't wish to use a debit card or receive electronic statements.

So this thread can be used to discuss any of these accounts in particular or in general, so long as they are generally available (i.e., no branch visits required, available to any resident of any state; no worries if you membership is easily attained by joining some organization for a nominal fee). Or it can be used as a portal to separate discussions on the particular accounts.

I think it would be a great idea if the FAQ/Quick Summary read like the Best Current APY/APRs thread. I don't really care if people discuss individual accounts in the thread and you certainly are not limited to discussing rate changes in the thread.

Ads by Google
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
GE Capital Bank? 0.95% APR. No debit requirements. Other suggestions welcome.

BostonOne (Aug. 18, 2014 @ 7:40p) |

I'm in the same boat, thinking about moving to LMCU.

pcfriendly (Aug. 19, 2014 @ 12:59p) |

But, that is a savings account (with its 6 transaction per month limit)  and presumably does not reimburse you for ATM f... (more)

DavidScubadiver (Aug. 20, 2014 @ 1:39p) |

To qualify, the account should be open to anybody without requiring a branch visit (unless the bank happens to be a national bank with branches in all 50 states). Its fine if you have to pay a nominal fee to join a credit union.

Useful links and information related to this topic:

Banking Guy has done an amazing job setting up a Reward Checking account web site, with an introduction to Reward Checking Accounts and lists of nationally available Reward Checking accounts and Reward Checking accounts by state. The lists show the bank/credit union name, the APY, the balance cap, and the latest Bank Deals review date with a link to the review. Here are the useful links:

Reward Checking Introduction (Dec 13, 2007) 

Reward Checking Accounts Available Nationwide or click on filter accounts to include State and others 

Jumbo Yields on Reward Checking Accounts (Oct 8, 2008) 

If you are looking for high yield credit union offers, you can also try Credit Union Deals 

(Archived) FWF Discussion: Automatic $1.00 Monthly Donations To Qualify For Reward Offers  discusses a method of meeting the number of debit card transactions requirement and provides a list of charities you can use to do this.

FWF - Reward Checking Accounts - Issues and Discussion Thread  is intended for general questions about Reward Checking accounts, strategies for meeting their requirements, debates on the merit of Reward Checking accounts, and discussion about possible methods of encouraging banks and credit unions to continue to offer reward checking products at favorable terms. The below techniques for meeting the number of transactions requirement and the ACH requirement are detailed more thoroughly in the discussion thread.

You can also (besides or in addition to) the automatic donation method) satisfy the debit card number of transactions requirement by paying various bills (partial payments often accepted) at the payee's website, using the debit card as a credit card. Caution: if given the option to use the debit card via a "debit card network", don't take it. It's possible that the transaction will show as a non-qualifying ATM withdrawal.

If the Rewards Checking account conditions will accept an ACH debit in order to satisy the typical 1 direct deposit/ACH transaction requirement, you can again partially pay a bill from the payee's web site, if it accepts the routing number for your Rewards Checking Account and your checking account number.

Reward Checking Accounts Open to All:

Rates subject to change in all accounts:


Great Lakes Credit Union - Ultimate Checking 
- 3.00% APY on balances up to $10K -- as of September 2013
- 0.05% APY on balances over $10K
Requirements:
- $500 direct deposit
- 10 debit card purchases totaling $100 or more
- eStatements
- Pay One Bill per Month through Bill Pay OR Login to Mobile Banking once per Month
Other:
- ATM Refunds: Up to $5 per cycle if qualifications are met
- $5 month fee if requirements are not met AND if you neither a $500 direct deposit, nor 5 debit card purchases
- Must also open a savings account with $5 balance
- Maximum of 3 Max Checking accounts per person (this needs to be re-verified)


Lake Michigan Credit Union - Max Checking 
- 3.00% APY on balances up to $15K -- as of July 2013
- 0.00% APY on balances over $15K
Requirements:
- direct deposit
- 10 debit card purchases
- eStatements
- 4 logins to home banking per month
Other:
- ATM Refunds: Up to $15 per cycle if qualifications are met
- No monthly fee if requirements are not met
- No minimum balance
- Must also open a savings account with $5 balance

First New England Federal Credit Union - Rewards Checking 
New link:
https://www.firstnewengland.org/Products-Services/Checking-Accounts/Rewards-Checking.aspx
- 2.253% APY (Relationship Account Members) on balances up to $15,000 -- as of May 2013
- 1.247% APY (General Members)
- 0.10% APY on balances beyond the first $15,000.
Requirements:
- 12 Cleared debit card transactions per statement cycle. (Excludes ATM transactions.)
- 1 Direct Deposit or an automatic debit per statement cycle.
- Enroll in eServices. eServices includes eStatements, eNEWS, and Homebanking with valid email address. Home banking is free.
Other:
- ATM Refunds: Up to $15 per cycle if requirements are met.
- No minimum balance required.
- You are eligible to join the FNEFCU if you join the Friends of Lucy Welles Robbins Library, $10/year for a single membership. You can join this organization as part of the application process for FNEFCU.
- Must also open a savings account with a $10 minimum balance.
- Hard Pull on TU to open -- as of 5/5/08


Coastal Federal Credit Union - Go Green Checking 
- 2.01% APY on balances through $50,000 for Premium Tier - as of May 2013
- 0.51% APY on balances through $50,000 for Standard Tier - as of May 2013
- 0.10% APY on balances above $50,000, or if requirements not met for the month
Requirements:
- 30 debit card transactions for Premium Tier
- 12 debit card transactions - Standard Tier
- No Direct Deposit or ACH requirement.
Other:
- e-Statements not required, for will incur a $2 per month fee (for paper statements).
- No minimum balance required.
- New Go Green accounts will automatically receive the high dividend rate during their first cycle whether the member hits the required 12 monthly debit card transactions or not. Any Basic or Dividend Checking account that converts to Go Green must still meet the 12 monthly debit transactions in order to receive the high dividend yield.
- If the account is closed before the end of a month, no dividends are earned for the month.
- It looks like a minimum opening deposit of $25 is required for the share savings account, and $10 is required for Go Green Checking.
- Unlimited free use of Coastal ATMs.
- Unlimited surcharge-free access to ATMs in the Co-op Network. ($1 fee per withdrawal after the 5th transaction.)
- See the Go Green Checking link above for other details.
FAQ about Go Green Checking 
See Bank Deals Post  about how to join CFCU, and other details about applying.


First National Bank of Henning 
- 2.00% APY on balances up to $10K - as of May 2013
- 0.40% APY over $10K
- 0.10% APY if requirements not met
Requirements:
- 12 debit card transactions
- receive electronic statements
- access online banking during month
Other:
- ATM Refunds: Unlimited nationwide up to $4.99 per transaction
- Credit Check via ChexSystems
- Was also told by CRR that a branch visit was required.


Provident Credit Union - Super Reward Checking 
- 1.76% APY on balances up to $25,000 - as of May 2013
- 0.21% APY on balances beyond the first $25,000 - as of Jun 2012
- 0.00% APY if requirements not met
Requirements:
- 10 Visa Check Card transactions per statement cycle (excludes ATM transactions).
- 1 Direct Deposit or an automatic debit per statement cycle.
- E-Documents enrollment (receive your monthly statements and account notices through online banking)
Other:
- $25 minimum deposit to open
- No minimum balance required
- ATM rebate of up to $2.50/transaction if monthly requirements are met
- Statement cycle is last day of month to next-to-last day of month.
- Eligible to join credit union if member of Sierra Club.
- ACH transactions: Cannot initiate ACH transfers on-line, although you can set up Direct Deposit, Recurring ACH Debits or Credits by submitting a form or making a branch visit. Can link from other institutions to push $ into account.
- Uses ChexSystems; no hard credit inquiry.
- FW Discussion Thread 


http://www.connexuscu.org/checking/xtraordinary-checking.html
- 1.75% APY up to $25K - as of May 2013
- 0.31% APY on qualifying accounts over $25K
- 0.25% APY non-qualifying accounts
Qualifications:
- 1 ACH debit or credit
- Make 15 debit card (Non-PIN) transactions
- Receive eStatement
Other:
- No minimum balance required
- To qualify for membership, join the Connexus Association with a one-time $5.00 donation. Ask the credit union to fax/send you an application to join the association.
- ACH transactions: Unknown.


Midwest America FCU - Reward Checking 
- 1.66% APY for balances up to $15,000 - as of May 2013
- 0.34% APY over $15,000
- 0.03% APY Base Rate if you miss the requirements for the month
Requirements:
- Have at least one Automatic Payment or Direct Deposit transaction post and clear in your Midwest Reward Checking Account during per monthly qualification cycle
- Have at least 10 debit card purchases post and clear per monthly qualification cycle
- Sign up for and receive monthly e-statements (must maintain a valid email address)
Other:
- No monthly maintenance fees
- ATM fees refunded up to $25 per month if requirements are met
- Free internet Bill Pay
- FatWallet Discussion 


West Texas National Bank - Ultimate Checking 
- 1.26% APY on balances up to $2K - as of May 2013
- 0.25% APY on balances over $25K
- 0.10% APY if requirements not met
Requirements:
- 10 check card transactions
- Receive electronic statement
Other information:
- Nationwide ATM reimbursements if requirements met (up to $20/month)
- Unknown regarding minimum to open, minimum balance, hard inquiry, internal ACH.
- Bank Deals post 
To open:
- https://umnas1.umonitor.com/wtnb/welcome.do
- At the end of the application, print out the signature card.
- Mail in the signed signature card, along with a copy of your driver's license, a copy of a second form of ID, and funding check.


Add Link  for FWF xxB&T bank discussions.

Note: Some of the rates/terms may not be up-to-date.

rated:
David...you might want to add to the summary about the M/A Com FCU deal that it DOES NOT include ATM rebates...only free access at Co-Op Network atms....

rated:
craig10x said: David...you might want to add to the summary about the M/A Com FCU deal that it DOES NOT include ATM rebates...only free access at Co-Op Network atms....Free country. Anybody can edit anything they like in the quick summary. If someone wants to make them "uniform" that's fine too, but I don't think its too complicated to read through them, even if they don't look exactly the same.

rated:
http://www.bankdealsblog.com/

6.01% in Arkansas at Parkway Bank (post)
6.01% in Arkansas at Bank of Little Rock (post)
6.15% in Arkansas at First National Bank (post)
6.01% in Colorado at 1st SouthWest Bank (post)
6.01% in Florida at Premier Bank (post)
5.64% in Florida at First Commercial Bank (post)
6.01% in Illinois at Valley Community (post)
5.50% in Illinois at Bank of Illinois (post)
6.01% in Iowa at State Bank of Toledo (post) open to all?
5.51% in Kansas at Bank of Blue Valley (post)
6.01% in Kansas at Emprise Bank (post)
6.01% in Kansas at Vision Bank (post)
5.60% in Kansas at First National Bank (post) open to all?
6.01% in Kansas/Missouri at Equity Bank (post)
6.01% in Massachusetts at Florence Savings Bank (post)
6.01% in Massachusetts at Danvers Bank (post)
6.01% in Massachusetts at Slades Bank (post)
6.17% in Missouri at RCSBank (post)
6.01% in Missouri at Champion Bank (post)
6.10% in Nevada at Clearstar Financial Credit Union (post)
6.01% in New York at Northern Financial CU (post)
5.01% in North Carolina at Capital Bank (post)
5.00% in Oklahoma at Legacy Bank (post)
6.01% in Oregon at Oregon Community Credit Union (post)
6.10% in Oregon at Rivermark Community CU (post)
6.25% in Tennessee at Wilson Bank and Trust (post)
6.17% in Tennessee at FirstBank (post)
6.01% in Texas at United Heritage Credit Union (post)
4.75% in Texas at First National Bank (post)
5.00% in Texas at Capital One - no hoops but 1yr promo (post)
7.50% in Washington State at BECU (post)
6.00% in Washington State a TwinStar CU (post)
6.01% in Wisconsin at Connexus Credit Union (post)
6.01% in Wisconsin at West Bend Savings Bank (post)

rated:
Added the actual link to Bank Deals Local High-Yield Reward Checking Accounts to Quick Summary. I propose we just talk about nationally available reward checking accounts in this thread, because, frankly, Bank Deals and other sites have exhaustive lists of all the local deals. It's much harder to parse out the "available to all" ones.

rated:
Agreed.

"Available to all" is a good criteria, OP do you want to require that we post only deals everyone can get in?

rated:
SUCKISSTAPLES said: Agreed.

"Available to all" is a good criteria, OP do you want to require that we post only deals everyone can get in?
yep

rated:
SUCKISSTAPLES said: http://www.bankdealsblog.com/

6.01% in Arkansas at Parkway Bank (post)
6.01% in Arkansas at Bank of Little Rock (post)
6.15% in Arkansas at First National Bank (post)
6.01% in Colorado at 1st SouthWest Bank (post)
6.01% in Florida at Premier Bank (post)
5.64% in Florida at First Commercial Bank (post)
6.01% in Illinois at Valley Community (post)
5.50% in Illinois at Bank of Illinois (post)
6.01% in Iowa at State Bank of Toledo (post) open to all?
5.51% in Kansas at Bank of Blue Valley (post)
6.01% in Kansas at Emprise Bank (post)
6.01% in Kansas at Vision Bank (post)
5.60% in Kansas at First National Bank (post) open to all?
6.01% in Kansas/Missouri at Equity Bank (post)
6.01% in Massachusetts at Florence Savings Bank (post)
6.01% in Massachusetts at Danvers Bank (post)
6.01% in Massachusetts at Slades Bank (post)
6.17% in Missouri at RCSBank (post)
6.01% in Missouri at Champion Bank (post)
6.10% in Nevada at Clearstar Financial Credit Union (post)
6.01% in New York at Northern Financial CU (post)
5.01% in North Carolina at Capital Bank (post)
5.00% in Oklahoma at Legacy Bank (post)
6.01% in Oregon at Oregon Community Credit Union (post)
6.10% in Oregon at Rivermark Community CU (post)
6.25% in Tennessee at Wilson Bank and Trust (post)
6.17% in Tennessee at FirstBank (post)
6.01% in Texas at United Heritage Credit Union (post)
4.75% in Texas at First National Bank (post)
5.00% in Texas at Capital One - no hoops but 1yr promo (post)
7.50% in Washington State at BECU (post)
6.00% in Washington State a TwinStar CU (post)
6.01% in Wisconsin at Connexus Credit Union (post)
6.01% in Wisconsin at West Bend Savings Bank (post)




the interest rate at Oregon Community CU dropped to 5.40% as of 10/01/07

rated:
good thread. thanks.

rated:
It'd be nice to know whether each individual bank distinguishes between payroll direct deposit or Paypal/ACH in.

rated:
ok David..didn't realize quick summary could be edited by anyone...lol I agree with others here....it would be better if thread is about those Reward Checking accounts that are Available To All.....

rated:

rated:
Good thread..I'm considering opening another of these accounts since I've found that the debit card requirement is not that hard to satisfy. Anyone done the same? APY is on a downward trend lately for most HY accounts so this becomes an attractive option. It's interesting to charge expensive purchases with 5% reward CreditCards and petty ones with these debit cards. Here's another 'available to all' one:
Provident CU

rated:
stfs said: Good thread..I'm considering opening another of these accounts since I've found that the debit card requirement is not that hard to satisfy. Anyone done the same? APY is on a downward trend lately for most HY accounts so this becomes an attractive option. It's interesting to charge expensive purchases with 5% reward CreditCards and petty ones with these debit cards. Here's another 'available to all' one:
Provident CU

Did our posts cross in the "mail"? Further edited the Quick Summary to add links and (I hope) useful information.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said: Okay, it looks like the "Reward Checking Account" is going mainstream, and rather than flood the Best current APY/APRs: The Daughter of The Mother - Checking, Saving, and Money Market: All Liquid Accnt Interest Rates! thread with too many of these accounts, I thought it would be a good idea to reference this link in that thread, so people know where to go to find these types of deals if they are interested. This is done primarily because a lot of people, for reasons known only to them, don't wish to use a debit card or receive electronic statements.

So this thread can be used to discuss any of these accounts in particular or in general, so long as they are generally available (i.e., no branch visits required, available to any resident of any state; no worries if you membership is easily attained by joining some organization for a nominal fee). Or it can be used as a portal to separate discussions on the particular accounts.

I think it would be a great idea if the FAQ/Quick Summary read like the Best Current APY/APRs thread. I don't really care if people discuss individual accounts in the thread and you certainly are not limited to discussing rate changes in the thread.

Thanks for the breakdown.
I see you put SBOT first. Do you get commissions or sexual favors from them?

rated:
2weeks said:
I see you put SBOT first. Do you get commissions or sexual favors from them?


SBoT is first because no other on the list has all of the following:

1. No cap on the 6.01%
2. Only need 10 purchases
3. No CU membership required
4. Free community room

rated:
dugggg said:

SBoT is first because no other on the list has all of the following:

1. No cap on the 6.01%
2. Only need 10 purchases
3. No CU membership required
4. Free community room

So now it's a love triangle?
David. Your gonna lose that bank, your gonna loooooose that bank. (FW should have musical notes in the emotion dd)

rated:
2weeks said:
Thanks for the breakdown.
I see you put SBOT first. Do you get commissions or sexual favors from them?
I started the thread. I bank with them. They are the only bank I personally have verified. Objectively, they are the "best" on their terms. I am not receiving commissions or sexual favors.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said: 2weeks said:
Thanks for the breakdown.
I see you put SBOT first. Do you get commissions or sexual favors from them?
I started the thread. I bank with them. They are the only bank I personally have verified. Objectively, they are the "best" on their terms. I am not receiving commissions or sexual favors.


You sure nothing kinky is going on in that community room?

rated:
Are there any banks that give sexual favors, should we start a new thread for that, can we double dip, i.e. get the best rates and sexual favors at the same bank?

Oh by the way thanks OP, this is a good thread, good info!

Edited to thank OP!

rated:
Thanx OP and SIS. Nice info !

rated:
craig10x said: ok David..didn't realize quick summary could be edited by anyone...lol I agree with others here....it would be better if thread is about those Reward Checking accounts that are Available To All.....

A "Senior Member" and you didn't know!? Amateur.

rated:
newbietx said: Are there any banks that give sexual favors
I have been f#cked by a few banks, But not in a good way

rated:
0lLX, probably because i never did it....or really looked at how it worked....

rated:
do Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking 4.00% and ING Electric Orange 3.45 % - 4.75% qualify for this thread . there is no Check card transaction requirement for these accounts .

rated:
manuvns said: do Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking 4.00% and ING Electric Orange 3.45 % - 4.75% qualify for this thread . there is no Check card transaction requirement for these accounts .Not until they pay at least 6% APY.

rated:
Does any of these have the capacity to initiate Fund Transfer to/from other banks?
Thanks.

rated:
Do you guys have debits set up automatically? I'm not going to manually make 10-12 debit card purchases a month just for a ~1% increase in interest rate.

rated:
SuperMxyz said: Do you guys have debits set up automatically? I'm not going to manually make 10-12 debit card purchases a month just for a ~1% increase in interest rate.

i've used iMacros to automate paying Embarq and Alltel in $.01 increments. Should take about a minute a month to satisfy this requirement.

rated:
SuperMxyz said: Do you guys have debits set up automatically? I'm not going to manually make 10-12 debit card purchases a month just for a ~1% increase in interest rate.

Automatic $1.00 Monthly Donations To Qualify For Reward Offers

rated:
mhesidence said: SuperMxyz said: Do you guys have debits set up automatically? I'm not going to manually make 10-12 debit card purchases a month just for a ~1% increase in interest rate.

Automatic $1.00 Monthly Donations To Qualify For Reward Offers

Thanks for the link; it's already in the Quick Summary. If you (or anyone) come up with a useful link, or other pertinent information not already in the QS, I suggest you add it to the QS in the Useful links and information related to this topic: section, and then reference it in your post. Hopefully, people will consult the QS before asking questions. That should minimize reposting of the information and make the information easy to find as well.

rated:
OP Could you take the Westbank savings out of list for All . as i tried just now and they rejected saying /out of state/ application not encouraged.
thanks

rated:
kichubhai99 said: OP Could you take the Westbank savings out of list for All . as i tried just now and they rejected saying /out of state/ application not encouraged.
thanks

Anyone can edit the Quick Summary. Go for it!

rated:
Just updated quick summary for Oregon based CU- 6.25% APY Fusion Checking but lots of requirements so I think it is lukewarm.

Fusion Checking

rated:
prastogi said: Just updated quick summary for Oregon based CU- 6.25% APY Fusion Checking but lots of requirements so I think it is lukewarm.

Fusion Checking

If joining Advantis Credit Union is not available to everyone, then the reward checking account doesn't belong in the thread, and you'll need to remove it from the quick summary. Thanks!

Removed Westbank and Fusion from Quick Summary.

Added ACH transaction information to Quick Summary.

rated:
newbietx said: Are there any banks that give sexual favors

Edited to thank OP!


sperm bank

rated:
bill777 said: Does any of these have the capacity to initiate Fund Transfer to/from other banks?
Thanks.
definitely not SBot. You must push and pull from outside the bank.

rated:
bharatiya said: Thanx OP and SIS. Nice info !Glxpass deserves many of the thanks here too

Edited: As with many good ideas,this was the result of compromise, reached after "fascist" sfchris fought for the purity of the"mother" thread and his concern that these reward accounts would swamp out the less rewarding accounts (which require less work). Scott suggested my SBot thread be changed to a general reward thread if these things ever go national, and I said I would consider. Glxpass posted about national accounts and here we are. I chose not to change the SBot thread figuring it makes more sense to use a portal and preserve individuals as is the custom.

rated:
Are there any minimum charge requirement ($1?) of each debit card transaction? Does .02 charge count?

Skipping 2442 Messages...
rated:
BostonOne said:   
ToHellWithUGA said:   Yeah looks like it may finally be time to move on from FAB&T, but to where?
  GE Capital Bank? 0.95% APR. No debit requirements. Other suggestions welcome.

  But, that is a savings account (with its 6 transaction per month limit)  and presumably does not reimburse you for ATM fees.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 234563
  • Page


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014