• filter:
  • 159606162 63
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
ToHellWithUGA said:   Yeah looks like it may finally be time to move on from FAB&T, but to where?
  I'm in the same boat, thinking about moving to LMCU.

rated:
BostonOne said:   
ToHellWithUGA said:   Yeah looks like it may finally be time to move on from FAB&T, but to where?
  GE Capital Bank? 0.95% APR. No debit requirements. Other suggestions welcome.

But, that is a savings account (with its 6 transaction per month limit)  and presumably does not reimburse you for ATM fees.

rated:
mlkrgr said:   Best one in Greater Boston would be Cambridge Savings at 2% on up to $25k. Beacon Federal in Chelmsford MA pays 3% on up to $20k. Washington Savings in Greater Lowell pays 3.01% on up to $10k and then 1.51% on the next $15k via a coordinating savings account. I know Washington only accepts applications within the branch as you have to go to the branch to finish any application you start online. Though there's Workers CU that is in Greater Leominster and extends into a bit of Greater Lowell and they will allow teller transactions at other CUs part of the shared branching network.

Due to what they claim is software incompatibility (they recently upgraded their systems), Washington Savings Bank eliminated the reward savings account. Before September 30, 2014 they paid 2.53% up to $10k in the checking and 1.26% up to 15K in the coordinating checking account. If you maxed out both accounts with a total of $25k, your annual return was 1.77%.

With the software upgrades they now pay 2.48% on the first $10k in checking and 1% on the next $10k. Balances over $20k in checking and ALL balances in savings pays 0.3%. If you max out the checking at $20k your annual return is pretty close at 1.74%, but the fact that it's only on $20,000 means you lose about $94/year.

rated:
Anyone know of any banks that offer rewards on large balances? Say 100K to 250K? Bank of Internet offers 1.25% up to $150K (for $1,000 direct deposit and 15 Dr card uses per month of $3.00 or more)

rated:
Hello all,
This is only available to teachers in California. I am in Santa Clarita.

California Credit Union has 2 amazing programs that are only available for educators. I signed up for both and I would highly recommend them to you as well. I met with Vreg (Santa Clarita location) for 15 minutes and I will make $535 which = $2,140 hr, which is considerably more than my hourly rate and I assume yours as well.

1- They will give you $200 for opening a checking account. All you need to do is either direct deposit OR set up an electronic transfer from your institution to theirs of $500 month. And when you agree to e-statements (one email a month) instead of paper billing the checking is totally free.
No fees whatsoever.
That is $200 free money.

2- They also have a program (summer savers) where you can get 3% interest on your deposits of up to $2,000 month (up to 22K by 7/31).
The great thing is that it is liquid money which means you can take it out anytime with no penalties whatsoever. Most accounts that are liquid are now paying close to zero % interest. Even discover bank online is at less than 1% interest right now. Even most 5 year cd are paying approximately 2% right now and your money is stuck there for 5 years and you would pay penalties if you take it out early. Simply, there is nowhere in the U.S. that you can get this deal without further restrictions or risk.
If you have any money in any account earning less than 3% or are wanting to save money this would be the place. The money would be transferred automatically from your other account to this one.
If you deposit/transfer the minimum this is like $80 in free money (interest).
If you deposit the max each month this is like $325 in free money (interest).

I know the math did not add up yet
$200+ $325 = $525
The other $10 is a referral money that you would get for being a referral from a member.
Hope this helps someone.

rated:
Next month's Kiplinger magazine has an article about earning more interest....it looks like the author did all of her "research" right here. (Hi Ms Gertsner!)
Mentioned are Consumers Credit Union Free Rewards (5.09% up to $10k), and Lake Michigan Max Checking. In the Savings dept, she recommends Salem 5 and Synchrony Bank Optimzer Plus, which are both around a whopping 1%.

rated:
What about this? Home Federal Bank

Smart Rewards Checking - High Interest Checking
Earn Bonus Interest Rate of 4.00% APY* on up to $15,000 of your checking account's balance PLUS tiered interest rates on balances above $15,000. You can also receive foreign ATM fee refund of up to $10.00 if the following minimum monthly requirements are met:
Minimum balance requirement of $250.00
Must have one direct deposit of at least $500.00 that posts during the monthly statement cycle
Must complete one ACH debit for any amount that posts and clears the account during the monthly statement cycle
Must receive imaged checks in a monthly E-Statement
Must complete at least 15 signature debit card transactions of at least $5.00 or more that post and clear the account during the monthly statement cycle
Plus:
Minimum of $250.00 required to open
No monthly service charge
Free unlimited ATM and debit card transactions
(At bank owned-ATMs. $1.00 withdrawal fee for any other ATM location used)
No interest paid on entire balance if qualifications are not met
Free online banking and bill pay
Free debit card
Free account alerts
Free mobile banking

Smart Reward Checking http://www.homefederalbancorp.com/banking/personal.cfm#SmartRewa...

rated:
Agentkarter said:   What about this? Home Federal Bank

Smart Rewards Checking - High Interest Checking
Earn Bonus Interest Rate of 4.00% APY* on up to $15,000 of your checking account's balance PLUS tiered interest rates on balances above $15,000. You can also receive foreign ATM fee refund of up to $10.00 if the following minimum monthly requirements are met:
Minimum balance requirement of $250.00
Must have one direct deposit of at least $500.00 that posts during the monthly statement cycle
Must complete one ACH debit for any amount that posts and clears the account during the monthly statement cycle
Must receive imaged checks in a monthly E-Statement
Must complete at least 15 signature debit card transactions of at least $5.00 or more that post and clear the account during the monthly statement cycle
Plus:
Minimum of $250.00 required to open
No monthly service charge
Free unlimited ATM and debit card transactions
(At bank owned-ATMs. $1.00 withdrawal fee for any other ATM location used)
No interest paid on entire balance if qualifications are not met
Free online banking and bill pay
Free debit card
Free account alerts
Free mobile banking

Smart Reward Checking http://www.homefederalbancorp.com/banking/personal.cfm#SmartRewa...

This is not nationwide.

At the bottom of the page it states:
MUST OPEN ACCOUNTS IN PERSON AND LIVE OR WORK IN OUR MARKET AREA.  

rated:
SUCKISSTAPLES said:   http://www.bankdealsblog.com/

6.01% in Arkansas at Parkway Bank (post)
6.01% in Arkansas at Bank of Little Rock (post)
6.15% in Arkansas at First National Bank (post)
6.01% in Colorado at 1st SouthWest Bank (post)
6.01% in Florida at Premier Bank (post)
5.64% in Florida at First Commercial Bank (post)
6.01% in Illinois at Valley Community (post)
5.50% in Illinois at Bank of Illinois (post)
6.01% in Iowa at State Bank of Toledo (post) open to all?
5.51% in Kansas at Bank of Blue Valley (post)
6.01% in Kansas at Emprise Bank (post)
6.01% in Kansas at Vision Bank (post)
5.60% in Kansas at First National Bank (post) open to all?
6.01% in Kansas/Missouri at Equity Bank (post)
6.01% in Massachusetts at Florence Savings Bank (post)
6.01% in Massachusetts at Danvers Bank (post)
6.01% in Massachusetts at Slades Bank (post)
6.17% in Missouri at RCSBank (post)
6.01% in Missouri at Champion Bank (post)
6.10% in Nevada at Clearstar Financial Credit Union (post)
6.01% in New York at Northern Financial CU (post)
5.01% in North Carolina at Capital Bank (post)
5.00% in Oklahoma at Legacy Bank (post)
6.01% in Oregon at Oregon Community Credit Union (post)
6.10% in Oregon at Rivermark Community CU (post)
6.25% in Tennessee at Wilson Bank and Trust (post)
6.17% in Tennessee at FirstBank (post)
6.01% in Texas at United Heritage Credit Union (post)
4.75% in Texas at First National Bank (post)
5.00% in Texas at Capital One - no hoops but 1yr promo (post)
7.50% in Washington State at BECU (post)
6.00% in Washington State a TwinStar CU (post)
6.01% in Wisconsin at Connexus Credit Union (post)
6.01% in Wisconsin at West Bend Savings Bank (post)

Wow, these rates are really high compared to bonds. Are these deals only applicable for small balances, or can you put in, say, 50k?

rated:
Bandalar -- These rates are only available using Peabody and Sherman's WABAC machine. That post was from 2007! I suppose you could get your current 0% BT money today, fill your duffle bag with cash, go back in time, put $$$$ in these accounts, make gobs of money and retire rich. However, I'm not sure how in the world you would amend your income taxes retroactively without changing the course of history by the change it would have on the national debt.

Further, we really don't know how Peabody and Sherman ever made it BACK to modern times... that part of the story has never been told, AFAIK.

rated:
Can someone help me do the math.
Is 2.5% on up to 25000 vs.
or 3.05 on up to 20000
Which one would be better?
Thanks.

rated:
mshnayde said:   Can someone help me do the math.
or 3.05 on up to 20000
Thanks.

2.5% of 25k = 625
3.05% of 20k = 610.
610 < 625.
But in the second case you could put the extra 5k in a savings account (or another RCA account) and easily earn another ~$40 in interest.

rated:
I'm in the same INOVA boat and would rather not switch if i can find a way to do the $51 x 5 transactions/month that is not too cumbersome. I just don't currently make that many purchases $50+. Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
or 3.05 on up to 20000
Thanks.

2.5% of 25k = 625
3.05% of 20k = 610.
610 < 625.
But in the second case you could put the extra 5k in a savings account (or another RCA account) and easily earn another ~$40 in interest.

Wouldn't the math be something like:

2.5% * $25,000 = $625
3.05% * $20,000 ($610) + $5,000 * 1.0% ($50) = $660

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
fwuser12 said:   
or 3.05 on up to 20000
Thanks.

2.5% of 25k = 625
3.05% of 20k = 610.
610 < 625.

Wouldn't the math be something like:

2.5% * $25,000 = $625
3.05% * $20,000 ($610) + $5,000 * 1.0% ($50) = $660

Exactly what I said, except I used a more conservative 0.8% for the other 5k.

rated:
Does LMCU waive the debit card requirement for the first (partial) month when you open the account?
It thought most RCAs do that and seem to have read something similar in the documents but cannot quite find it.

rated:
Do any of the more popular accounts on in this thread NOT do a hard pull when opening? I'd like to open one of these up but don't think it's worth the hit, so LMCU and INOVA are out even though they would meet my needs.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   Does LMCU waive the debit card requirement for the first (partial) month when you open the account?
It thought most RCAs do that and seem to have read something similar in the documents but cannot quite find it.

They didn't for me - I didn't earn any interest in the first month it was opened.

rated:
Does the Amazon gc purchases count as debit purchases for LMCU? My CU makes the Amazon gc purchases look like billpay bills and they don't count towards my minimum monthly count.

rated:
ashegam said:   Does the Amazon gc purchases count as debit purchases for LMCU? My CU makes the Amazon gc purchases look like billpay bills and they don't count towards my minimum monthly count.

Are you using them as (online pinless) debit card without the Visa or MasterCard logo? That is probably why. Check your saved payment types to find out and change if necessary.

rated:
cdancer20 said:   
  Yea for $10k, it may not be worth it.  This is especially true if you aren't already taking advantage of Mango and UnionPlus prepaid savings acct ($5k each).

How do you get around so many direct deposit requirements? Mango seems trickier than most as it is some form of "service," or am I just reading too much into it? 

Would Ally or Alliant deposits work? 

rated:
Does anyone know if American Express Serve debit card loads are counted as qualified debit card purchases for Lake Michigan Credit Union Max Checking account?

rated:
In order to churn through debit and CC transaction requirements, is it feasible to go through a self checkout stand at a grocery store and run through all your transactions in one trip by making several <$5 purchases? Also, does mint.com getting an online update from my bank count as logging into online banking? I'm looking at Consumer Credit Union because I don't keep more than $10,000 liquid at any given time, and hitting the 4.09% won't be difficult if I can do all my transactions in one trip. I'm having a hard time envisioning the 5.09% being worth it though, I'm having a hard time envisioning how I'd spend $1,000 on one of their Visa cards in lieu of my AMEX Blue Preferred or Citi Double Cash.

rated:
yes

rated:
ffc7 said:   In order to churn through debit and CC transaction requirements, is it feasible to go through a self checkout stand at a grocery store and run through all your transactions in one trip by making several <$5 purchases? Also, does mint.com getting an online update from my bank count as logging into online banking? I'm looking at Consumer Credit Union because I don't keep more than $10,000 liquid at any given time, and hitting the 4.09% won't be difficult if I can do all my transactions in one trip. I'm having a hard time envisioning the 5.09% being worth it though, I'm having a hard time envisioning how I'd spend $1,000 on one of their Visa cards in lieu of my AMEX Blue Preferred or Citi Double Cash.
I meet the 5.09% every month by buying 2 $500 visa gift cards from the grocery store every month. The credit card I got from CCU gives you 3% CashBack on grocery so I end up making about $20 a month  in rewards on top of the $100 a year in interest buying the cards. I find it to be less hassle than making 12 small credit card transactions but I don't have your other 2 credit cards so not sure if the math works out to as much value for you as it does for me.

rated:
wqshmswee said:   Does anyone know if American Express Serve debit card loads are counted as qualified debit card purchases for Lake Michigan Credit Union Max Checking account?
  I do debit loads for Serve with my Consumers Credit Union Visa with no Issues. I can't imagine there would be any issues for LMCU either but I'd recommend trying it out yourself and you'll be able to click on "max checking status" to verify that it worked.

rated:
Sashinator00 said:   
wqshmswee said:   Does anyone know if American Express Serve debit card loads are counted as qualified debit card purchases for Lake Michigan Credit Union Max Checking account?
  I do debit loads for Serve with my Consumers Credit Union Visa with no Issues. I can't imagine there would be any issues for LMCU either but I'd recommend trying it out yourself and you'll be able to click on "max checking status" to verify that it worked.

Thanks!

rated:
Sashinator00 said:   
ffc7 said:   In order to churn through debit and CC transaction requirements, is it feasible to go through a self checkout stand at a grocery store and run through all your transactions in one trip by making several <$5 purchases? Also, does mint.com getting an online update from my bank count as logging into online banking? I'm looking at Consumer Credit Union because I don't keep more than $10,000 liquid at any given time, and hitting the 4.09% won't be difficult if I can do all my transactions in one trip. I'm having a hard time envisioning the 5.09% being worth it though, I'm having a hard time envisioning how I'd spend $1,000 on one of their Visa cards in lieu of my AMEX Blue Preferred or Citi Double Cash.
I meet the 5.09% every month by buying 2 $500 visa gift cards from the grocery store every month. The credit card I got from CCU gives you 3% CashBack on grocery so I end up making about $20 a month  in rewards on top of the $100 a year in interest buying the cards. I find it to be less hassle than making 12 small credit card transactions but I don't have your other 2 credit cards so not sure if the math works out to as much value for you as it does for me.

Which grocery store allows you to buy visa gift cards using a credit card?

rated:
Sashinator00 said:   

AMEX Blue gives 6% at grocery stores, and because various Kroger storefronts here sell Visa gift cards, I can basically get 6% at anywhere that takes Visa, but with a $6,000 limit.  Citi Double Cash MC is 2% anywhere, any time, unlimited (1% instant, 1% once you pay it off the purchase).  I'm only in my second month of the AMEX Blue, so I'm not sure what my spending with it will look like for a full year, but if I hit the cap, which is probable, I'd probably err on the side of getting a second AMEX Blue rather than reconsidering going up to 5.09%.  Assuming that's possible, anyway.  How easy is it to get a second one?  I have two US Bank Visa Cash+ cards because when I opened my first one, I then tried to close my old one, but they said I could just convert it to a second Cash+, so I did, because why not, no annual fee, and it gives me four different 5% CashBack categories every quarter (they don't change much from quarter to quarter).  Though the Cash+ cards are now in the drawer thanks to AMEX.  Anyway, would a similar approach with AMEX probably work to get a second (third?) Blue?

rated:
  Yes.  I use Serve to meet my purchases for LMCU.

rated:
rebelx said:   
cdancer20 said:   
  Yea for $10k, it may not be worth it.  This is especially true if you aren't already taking advantage of Mango and UnionPlus prepaid savings acct ($5k each).

How do you get around so many direct deposit requirements? Mango seems trickier than most as it is some form of "service," or am I just reading too much into it? 

Mango only has one DD requirement.  Not sure what is tricky about that and yes Alliant works to meet that requirement.

rated:
Sashinator00 said:   

Thanks.  I never realized that that existed lol.

rated:
Which one is better between CCU and LMCU in terms of ACH transfer, interest stability and etc? I know CCU has a $50 promotion right now for referral.

rated:
cdancer20 said:   
rebelx said:   
cdancer20 said:   

Mango only has one DD requirement.  Not sure what is tricky about that and yes Alliant works to meet that requirement.

Thanks. Any way to get around the $3/mo Mango fee?

rated:
no

rated:
wqshmswee said:   Which one is better between CCU and LMCU in terms of ACH transfer, interest stability and etc? I know CCU has a $50 promotion right now for referral.
  LMCU does not have any way to initiate ACH transfers from their side.  However, it's easy to pull from another bank and they support bill pay to bank via other bank's bill pay service (good for banks that also don't have ACH transfer abilities)

rated:
wqshmswee said:   Which one is better between CCU and LMCU in terms of ACH transfer, interest stability and etc? I know CCU has a $50 promotion right now for referral.
  neither lets you do the ACH from within CCU or LMCU. with CCU I do an automated $1 bill pay instead of the ACH transfer to meet the requirement, you can do either one.

For Interest rate stability, according to a Doctor of Credit's blog, the 3% has been stable since July 2013 and has been as high as 5% over the last 5 years.
CCU was 4.09% for up to 10,000 until some time in the end of 2012 when they cut it to 3.09% and $5000. They just recently raised the limit back to $10,000 with up to 5.09% depending on how you use their credit card. 

I've been using CCU for a while and LMCU for a month, keep in mind there is a hard credit pull for both.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 159606162 63
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014