• filter:
  • 161626364 65
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Anybody recommend an better way  to meet the innova reqs(> 51$ ) , the way i do it now is go to Target , WalMart , sprouts and get 52 $ GC's  

rated:
At Consumers, has anyone seen the Rewards Update section not reflect debit card txns accurately? I bought a bunch of minimum-price Amazon gc's so I was expecting it to show 12, but it doesn't seem to be picking up on those txns. Or maybe there is a minimum qualifying txn amount that I missed?

rated:
no minimum amount required. If they are not showing it is for a different reason

rated:
iahmale said:   no minimum amount required. If they are not showing it is for a different reason

Thanks iahmale.  I dug for a while and found the checkbox to disable "process as debit" on Amazon.  I guess I should be glad CCU shows the counter - I would have missed the requirements on another RCA I'm using too.

rated:
pennsatuckian said:   
bobbosaurus said:   Need a quick posting transaction try pumping $1.00 worth of gasoline at a self serve station. It will post the next day in 75%+ of the time...
  Do not pay at the pump, pay inside.  Pumps are open for skimmers.  Inside is not.

I wouldn't be concerned. Skimming isn't as wide spread as you think. Does it happen? Yes. Will it happen to you? Highly unlikely. I compare it to things like catching ebola, or being the victim of a horrible crime. It happens to very few, but media hype makes it seem more wide spread. Also, if it's a CC, you aren't held responsible for fraudulent charges. Debit may be different. Just my $0.02 from my history in criminal justice/asset protection.

rated:
I tried searching for information on the two following accounts but came up empty.  I sent questions to both FI's, but does anyone know if either American Bank & Trust (http://www.americanbanktrust.net/personal/checking/kasasa-cash.html ) or Capital Educators Federal Credit Union (https://www.caped.com/accounts/checking/high-yield-checking/ ) do a hard pull to open accounts?  I'm looking to open a reward checking account for my liquid cash but would like to avoid a hard credit hit to do it.

rated:
My Penfed Visa pays 5% for Gasoline Credit Card Transactions...However, these MUST BE PAID AT THE PUMP!  If you charge it inside, it pays only 1%.  The skimmers are most valuable for Debit Cards.  They get the Debit Card number, AND THE PIN.  Whereas Credit Cards only get the number and the zip code.  This makes the credit card account vulnerable, but only to more sales of gasoline.  There are no Debit Cards that pay extra for gasoline purchases. So, if you use any debit card to buy gasoline, you should pay inside.  This is a little trouble to avoid a potential horrendous experience if the debit card is skimmed. 

It is a small probability of being skimmed, but I always thought that Tornadoes only hit other people, until one killed my dad!

rated:
OR don't use a debit card (ever)

rated:
Hey so I have a few of these accounts. I'm a software engineer and I wrote a program to automate debit/credit card transactions so I can use my rewards credit cards (Citi, Discover, etc) exclusively. Maybe I'm just lazy, but it became a little annoying to keep track of the number of transactions. Additionally, a friend of mine is the one who informed me that high-yield checking was even a thing so he has been using my program as well for his bank.

Anyways, is there any interest out there for something like this?

rated:
nickcaballero said:   Hey so I have a few of these accounts. I'm a software engineer and I wrote a program to automate debit/credit card transactions so I can use my rewards credit cards (Citi, Discover, etc) exclusively. Maybe I'm just lazy, but it became a little annoying to keep track of the number of transactions. Additionally, a friend of mine is the one who informed me that high-yield checking was even a thing so he has been using my program as well for his bank.

Sure. What does your program do?

rated:
It emulates swiped credit transactions. This is different from keyed transactions, which usually end up costing the merchant more. We have been successfully using 1 cent transactions without incurring any fees from the credit card processing company. The program works by behaving as a merchant, emulating the transactions and receiving the funds into our account. Then we move those funds back to the high-yield account and do it all over again the next month. At this point this is costing us nothing but I suspect this is due to the volume and sum of the transactions.

rated:
nickcaballero said:   It emulates swiped credit transactions. This is different from keyed transactions, which usually end up costing the merchant more. We have been successfully using 1 cent transactions without incurring any fees from the credit card processing company. The program works by behaving as a merchant, emulating the transactions and receiving the funds into our account. Then we move those funds back to the high-yield account and do it all over again the next month. At this point this is costing us nothing but I suspect this is due to the volume and sum of the transactions.

So how would you benefit from it? By using accounts that pay you for using your debit card, for each transaction?

rated:
phatwalletguy said:   Anybody recommend an better way  to meet the innova reqs(> 51$ ) , the way i do it now is go to Target , WalMart , sprouts and get 52 $ GC's  
  I'm trying to figure this out too...

rated:
Doua said:   
phatwalletguy said:   Anybody recommend an better way  to meet the innova reqs(> 51$ ) , the way i do it now is go to Target , WalMart , sprouts and get 52 $ GC's  
  I'm trying to figure this out too...

This is about what I do too.  I use to OK when it worked with Serve but now of course Serve posts as a pin transaction.   So 1 option I find is to go to CVS, buy a $500 Visa GC and do 5 separate swipes with Inova and the 6th swipe with my favorite credit card.

rated:
I need to confirm with current Inova customers to see if making payments to your wireless carriers via the payment kiosk at the stores will count against this requirement.

rated:
Doua said:   I need to confirm with current Inova customers to see if making payments to your wireless carriers via the payment kiosk at the stores will count against this requirement.
  As long as you are not entering your pin number, it should work but I would do a test purchase to make sure.  Also note that I don't know who your wireless company is, but you should be able to do that online.  I know that a lot of companies allow you to pay a certain amount from their website (or over the phone) via credit card.

rated:
cdancer20 said:   
  As long as you are not entering your pin number, it should work but I would do a test purchase to make sure.  Also note that I don't know who your wireless company is, but you should be able to do that online.  I know that a lot of companies allow you to pay a certain amount from their website (or over the phone) via credit card.
Unless you happen to know that this is the case for the kiosks, I wouldn't in general trust that no PIN means no debit... some (like Amazon and eBay) can somehow run transactions over the debit network without a PIN now

rated:
cdancer20 said:   
Doua said:   I need to confirm with current Inova customers to see if making payments to your wireless carriers via the payment kiosk at the stores will count against this requirement.

I was referring to AT&T.  I don't have an account to "test" yet.  I wanted to confirm if it's possible before opening one if possible.  I didn't know whether processing via the Kiosk vs. online would make any difference, as paying online there is no need for signature...

rated:
psm321 said:   
cdancer20 said:   

Unless you happen to know that this is the case for the kiosks, I wouldn't in general trust that no PIN means no debit... some (like Amazon and eBay) can somehow run transactions over the debit network without a PIN now

Correct.  Amazon/eBay use what is called PINless debit, where transactions are routed over SUM/Pulse/NYCE or similar networks without a PIN.  (Not to be confused with signature or no-signature transactions over Visa/MC.)  The SUM/Pulse/NYCE/etc. debit network fee structure is much lower for the merchant in most cases, but the FI gets less so that's why some are providing incentives for transactions over the Visa/Mastercard brand network. 

rated:
A bit lost... so I want the transaction to be a "debit" vs a "credit"?

rated:
No. You want credit to count for Inova.

rated:
nickcaballero said:   Hey so I have a few of these accounts. I'm a software engineer and I wrote a program to automate debit/credit card transactions so I can use my rewards credit cards (Citi, Discover, etc) exclusively. Maybe I'm just lazy, but it became a little annoying to keep track of the number of transactions. Additionally, a friend of mine is the one who informed me that high-yield checking was even a thing so he has been using my program as well for his bank.

I am interested in this. What are your plans on releasing the software?

I have a rewards credit card that needs 80 transactions per month.

Although I have programming experience, I am only doing 80 transactions manually by going to the store and buying cheap items.

I was thinking that someday, I would make such a program to automate purchase transactions from various merchants (for example, Amazon $0.50 gift cards).

nickcaballero said:   It emulates swiped credit transactions. This is different from keyed transactions, which usually end up costing the merchant more. We have been successfully using 1 cent transactions without incurring any fees from the credit card processing company. The program works by behaving as a merchant, emulating the transactions and receiving the funds into our account. Then we move those funds back to the high-yield account and do it all over again the next month. At this point this is costing us nothing but I suspect this is due to the volume and sum of the transactions.

Nice work.

What language and software frameworks did you use?

rated:
  If you are willing to sell for a reasonable price, I would be interested as well. Could be useful as a backup method for my current RCA.

rated:
robbierob03 said:   I tried searching for information on the two following accounts but came up empty.  I sent questions to both FI's, but does anyone know if either American Bank & Trust (http://www.americanbanktrust.net/personal/checking/kasasa-cash.html ) or Capital Educators Federal Credit Union (https://www.caped.com/accounts/checking/high-yield-checking/ ) do a hard pull to open accounts?  I'm looking to open a reward checking account for my liquid cash but would like to avoid a hard credit hit to do it.
  Just remember that it is a hard pull only, not a hard pull and new account.  A hard pull, in my estimation, is less damaging than a hard pull and a new account.  This is especially true if your average age of accounts is low.  A hard pull usually hits only one CRA, whereas a new account generally hits all three and carries a little bit more damage with it.  You'll likely get a Chex hit with each of them (I don't know for sure... most places pull Chex, some don't).  Either way, time heals all wounds. 

rated:
debentureboy said:   
robbierob03 said:   I tried searching for information on the two following accounts but came up empty.  I sent questions to both FI's, but does anyone know if either American Bank & Trust (http://www.americanbanktrust.net/personal/checking/kasasa-cash.html ) or Capital Educators Federal Credit Union (https://www.caped.com/accounts/checking/high-yield-checking/ ) do a hard pull to open accounts?  I'm looking to open a reward checking account for my liquid cash but would like to avoid a hard credit hit to do it.
  Just remember that it is a hard pull only, not a hard pull and new account.  A hard pull, in my estimation, is less damaging than a hard pull and a new account.  This is especially true if your average age of accounts is low.  A hard pull usually hits only one CRA, whereas a new account generally hits all three and carries a little bit more damage with it.  You'll likely get a Chex hit with each of them (I don't know for sure... most places pull Chex, some don't).  Either way, time heals all wounds. 

Thanks for pulling this back up as I never came back and updated my response.  Both FI's responded that they don't require a hard pull to open the account.  I actually went ahead and opened the American Bank & Trust account and though it was (and continues to be) a pain in a$$ to do so, no HP was done from CRA.  Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my signature card and debit card request form to come in the mail, so I haven't fully funded the account yet to determine how well it works.

rated:
I'm just catching up on CCU and thinking of opening account.   A few questions/confirmations  that I couldn't find searching.

• I assume Signature Visa Card can be used for qualifying CC purchases. Correct?
  • Are Super Targets coded as grocery on the Signature card?   Chase Freedom specifically excludes Target and WalMart as grocery stores during 5% promotion, so curious if 3% is viable with CCU (feed the Redbird).  The Targets I frequent, come through on Citi Double Cash as = GROCERY STORE,SUPERMARKET, so I assume they will come through the same for CCU.
  • For Debit card spend, why not pay yourself 12 x $0.01 transaction subscriptions via Paypal?  I've done this for debit requirements successfully on two other checking accounts.  I'm assuming this will work here.  $0.12 is a small price to pay for automating this requirement.  If going for 4.09%, I assume this can be done with CC as well.

rated:
The VISA purchases MUST be made on their, CONSUMERS CREDIT UNION, VISA card.
I don't know if the PAYPAL thing would work or not, I have not tried that.
I have been a member for some time and the requirements are very easy for me to make.

By the way, they have a bonus program for new members.

rated:
The 3-2-1 CB Visa I mislabeld (now fixed).  It was a reference to their Visa Signature Cards, giving 3% back on groceries/convenience, 2% on gas and 1% everywhere else.

rated:
Another option to satisfy the debit transactions, is send money to someone such as a spouse using Square Trade's cash app.   It comes through as a debit transactions...send 12 in the month and you should be good.

rated:
NEDeals said:   
psm321 said:   
cdancer20 said:   

Correct.  Amazon/eBay use what is called PINless debit, where transactions are routed over SUM/Pulse/NYCE or similar networks without a PIN.  (Not to be confused with signature or no-signature transactions over Visa/MC.)  The SUM/Pulse/NYCE/etc. debit network fee structure is much lower for the merchant in most cases, but the FI gets less so that's why some are providing incentives for transactions over the Visa/Mastercard brand network. 

You are correct that there are ones that are PINless.  However, there is the option to turn this off for most websites (Amazon for example).  You just have to read the fine print.  I'm not sure if you can do a pinless transaction in person though (i.e over a kiosk).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 161626364 65
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015