• 164656667 68
  • Page
  • Previous 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
yeah!!!( Trump)

rated:
Do any rewards accounts not require so much debit card activity? In other words, do some have other requirements, such as if you have to have 15 direct deposits and send 15 complaints to the bank's customer service each month? I haven't actually used any rewards checking accounts but am considering it. But I don't like the idea of being required to use a debit card more frequently than I even use credit cards. If I fake it by paying $2 at a time towards an online bill, it might not last very long.

What I really want is a bank that pays competitive interest on both the checking and savings accounts, or one that pays high enough interest on the checking account that I don't even need the savings account. Rewards accounts seem like one possible way to accomplish that. But I just don't like the idea of playing such games with debit cards. Presently I get my direct deposits at Fidelity, and have my savings at Barclays. I'm just looking for a way to improve on that setup, to get more interest without too much more hassle and time consumption. What I like about Fidelity is how well it works as a hub, and how few bugs it has. What I like about Barclays is that they never seem to lower their interest rate, so I never have to switch accounts to chase rates. But Barclays has plenty of website bugs, and their interest rate is just 1.0% APY. And Fidelity's is like "Honey, I shrunk the interest rate" (happened years ago.)

rated:
Of course not. The bank needs to make $$$, which they do off the debit cards swiped as credit cards.

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   Of course not. The bank needs to make $$$, which they do off the debit cards swiped as credit cards.
  I believe they make money off the merchants that accepts the card even if you charge $0.01, the banks make a minimum per swipe... I don't know why they are so concerned about mini payments since they are making BIG money off of the merchant if you consider the percentage of fees versus the actual sale....

rated:
the only good (great) RCA today is myconsumers.org. click under "personal" and click rewards checking. You can do 12 swipes or more (required) as credit in self service checkout at grocery. (5x per day at 1 store) is the limit and then go to Dunkin donuts. it's quit easy and look at the rates!! i do my swipes and bill pay in 1 day!

rated:
BIGTCQB said:   tjguitar85 said:   Of course not. The bank needs to make $$$, which they do off the debit cards swiped as credit cards.
  I believe they make money off the merchants that accepts the card even if you charge $0.01, the banks make a minimum per swipe... I don't know why they are so concerned about mini payments since they are making BIG money off of the merchant if you consider the percentage of fees versus the actual sale....

None of the ones I have used have a minimum charge per swipe.

rated:
BIGTCQB said:   
tjguitar85 said:   Of course not. The bank needs to make $$$, which they do off the debit cards swiped as credit cards.

Banks are concerned with making money, that's why they tend to lower rates and dollar maximums until the "rewards" account becomes unrewarding.  It's easy enough to establish purchase minimums and/or weed out the ".01" users.  But they usually just kill it for everyone.  

rated:
For those who got the CCU Credit card to get the 5%, did you get one HP for both the account opening and the CC application or did they do two HPs?

Also has anyone tried meeting the $1000 spend by loading SoftServe with no issues? The only grocery store that accepts credit for gift cards is far away for me.

Thanks

rated:
One HP.

rated:
I received 2 HP, but was told about it by rep beforehand. Still did it and have acct for 6 months.

rated:
LearningFast said:   For those who got the CCU Credit card to get the 5%, did you get one HP for both the account opening and the CC application or did they do two HPs?

Also has anyone tried meeting the $1000 spend by loading SoftServe with no issues? The only grocery store that accepts credit for gift cards is far away for me.

Thanks

If you decide to go the SoftServe route, make sure to set your CA to $0.  There are some cards that charge it as CA so you want to be sure you don't get hit with this.  At worst bet though, you can just go to CVS and buy $1000 in VGCs.  Then go to Family Dollar and load to your Serve account.  (Or use VGCs in other ways that people do).  Loading to Serve at FD would cost you only the $4.95 purchase fee so no extra cost after the 1% CashBack

rated:
cdancer20 said:   
LearningFast said:   For those who got the CCU Credit card to get the 5%, did you get one HP for both the account opening and the CC application or did they do two HPs?

Thanks

If you decide to go the SoftServe route, make sure to set your CA to $0.  There are some cards that charge it as CA so you want to be sure you don't get hit with this.  At worst bet though, you can just go to CVS and buy $1000 in VGCs.  Then go to Family Dollar and load to your Serve account.  (Or use VGCs in other ways that people do).  Loading to Serve at FD would cost you only the $4.95 purchase fee so no extra cost after the 1% CashBack

I'm a little slow, but aren't VGCs gift cards and thus can't be used to load money on serve? I have a serve card and I went through hell everytime I wanted to use a different card, I had to take a picture of it load it on their website and than call customer service and beg that I be allowed to draw from it. This was before serve discontinued use of mastercard and visa cards. To my knowledge they only allow you to use an Amex card to load money on serve... These cards all had my name on them and they were NOT gift cards..

rated:
BIGTCQB said:   cdancer20 said:   

Thanks

I'm a little slow, but aren't VGCs gift cards and thus can't be used to load money on serve? I have a serve card and I went through hell everytime I wanted to use a different card, I had to take a picture of it load it on their website and than call customer service and beg that I be allowed to draw from it. This was before serve discontinued use of mastercard and visa cards. To my knowledge they only allow you to use an Amex card to load money on serve... These cards all had my name on them and they were NOT gift cards..
I am talking about in store loading not online.

rated:
what is softserve? link?

rated:
pdxmale said:   what is softserve? link?
  SoftServe is a Serve account that was opened via the Isis/Softcard app on cell phones.  This app is no longer available (company was sold to Google I believe) and thus neither is SoftServe. 

rated:
are there programs that do auto debits? I have heard references to them but don't know where to find them.

rated:
Anyone here still even have their Inova account open? I had left it open to do the 60-month certificate deal but then forgot to sign up. So then I thought I would keep it open as just another place to dump money orders but the month requirements i.e. $2500 daily balance or 10 debit purchases may not be worth it. Not to mention that since I use co-op banks, there are always 7-8 day holds on my money orders.

Hmmm IDK. I'm very very close to just closing it. (Btw, I have moved the majority of the money out of the account.)

rated:
I just looked at my LMCU onling and saw they charged me a atm fee of 1 dollar for it not being one of there locations? Apparently this is new because I've never got charged another fee in addition to the atm fee itself. This is total BS! IF I am not reimbursed the atm fee plus the 1 dollar thats not right. I wont have problem if I am reimbursed both. Not sure if they did away with the atm refund each month or not. Does anyone else know?

rated:
borail said:   I just looked at my LMCU onling and saw they charged me a atm fee of 1 dollar for it not being one of there locations? Apparently this is new because I've never got charged another fee in addition to the atm fee itself. This is total BS! IF I am not reimbursed the atm fee plus the 1 dollar thats not right. I wont have problem if I am reimbursed both. Not sure if they did away with the atm refund each month or not. Does anyone else know?
  It says on their website that they will reimburse up to $15/month in ATM fees.  It doesn't say when they refund though.  I know one of my banks does it same day.  Another does it on statement closing date.

rated:
cdancer20 said:   Anyone here still even have their Inova account open? I had left it open to do the 60-month certificate deal but then forgot to sign up. So then I thought I would keep it open as just another place to dump money orders but the month requirements i.e. $2500 daily balance or 10 debit purchases may not be worth it. Not to mention that since I use co-op banks, there are always 7-8 day holds on my money orders.

Hmmm IDK. I'm very very close to just closing it. (Btw, I have moved the majority of the money out of the account.)

I called to inquire about closing my account.  In the end, just leaving $2500 in there for a MO dumping stop that takes a week to release isn't worth it.  I'd rather open a new local checking account for that.  The one didn't seem surprised that I wanted to close the account.  I assume that they have gotten a lot of people doing such after the changes.

rated:
For anyone in California who uses Provident credit union, I just got an email that the terms of their Super Rewards Checking account will be changing as of October 1st, 2015. The interest rate is actually going up from 1.36% to 1.50% APY, but the account will now require $300 in debit card purchases instead of 10 debit purchases, in addition to 1 direct deposit or ACH transfer per month. They are also going to be adding an ATM surcharge rebate up to $2.50.

rated:
tracyinca said:   For anyone in California who uses Provident credit union, I just got an email that the terms of their Super Rewards Checking account will be changing as of October 1st, 2015. The interest rate is actually going up from 1.36% to 1.50% APY, but the account will now require $300 in debit card purchases instead of 10 debit purchases, in addition to 1 direct deposit or ACH transfer per month. They are also going to be adding an ATM surcharge rebate up to $2.50.

I got this as well but I, confused. I thought the rate was 1.76% right now and 2.50 rebates already exist

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 164656667 68
  • Page
  • Previous 40

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015