• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I recently got married and I'm getting new checks made with both of our names. I spoke to a rep. at my bank who said it's NOT required to have our home address printed. She said it may speed up acceptance at a store, but it may make us more vulnerable to identiy theft.

I'm leaning towards NOT including the address since we use CCS for most purchases. What do you guys/gals think?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I have recently seen a NY DL with a PO box address on it. However, many people still believe it is impossible.

ANightShopper (Oct. 26, 2007 @ 8:16p) |

I hadn't thought about not putting a name and adress on checks before.

About a year ago, I uncovered a security hole in m... (more)

fadippides (Oct. 26, 2007 @ 8:27p) |

You aren't required to put any information on a check. A store also isn't required to accept it either. Decide what is... (more)

TooGoodToBeTrue (Oct. 26, 2007 @ 8:34p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Who uses checks to pay for stuff at stores these days?

Seriously, all you really need for each check is your name, amount of money and those numbers on the bottom of each check. No need to give out other info that isn't necessary.

You definitely don't need to have the address. In fact, I believe, you can even leave off your name. According to this (Checks), it's not a required part of the check.

Lower down on that page, it talks about identity theft through a check because of the ample personal information.

Strabo said: Who uses checks to pay for stuff at stores these days?

Seriously, all you really need for each check is your name, amount of money and those numbers on the bottom of each check. No need to give out other info that isn't necessary.

I don't know maybe people who own homes or pay quarterly taxes as many states do not accept credit cards for property taxes and many bill pay services will not allow you to pay any tax bills ie property taxes or income taxes. So a check and an envelope and a stamp are required to pay them.

What would be the upside to that again?

Why would you print your home address on anything?

You should never connect your home address and where you live on paper.

At best a PO Box, but still what's the point.

dolmar said: Strabo said: Who uses checks to pay for stuff at stores these days?

I don't know maybe people who own homes or pay quarterly taxes as many states do not accept credit cards for property taxes and many bill pay services will not allow you to pay any tax bills ie property taxes or income taxes. So a check and an envelope and a stamp are required to pay them.

Ummm... I was asking about using a check for buying things at stores. Those typically don't require the use of an envelope and stamp.

Why buy things with checks anyway? Use a credit card and get rewards. Or bring in cash and avoid the hassle. Or use a debit card (although some are concerned with the implications of someone stealing your debit card linked to your main checking account and going on a shopping spree).

I get my address printed on my checks. In most cases, I either have to provide it (most stores want an address and phone number) or the person/business would know my address anyway. Saves me from writing it out each time.

Strabo said: Who uses checks to pay for stuff at stores these days?Exactly.

Anyone you mail a check to isn't going to give a rat's ass what is printed on the check. You could put Mickey Mouse, Disney World, FL on there and it would still clear.

You could get a private mailbox and use that as your address. I only give my real home address to government agencies (DMV, etc).

You will meet resistance if you try use a check without an address on it at store. But like somebody else said, if you're mailing in a check to pay a bill, nobody will care.

A private mailbox is better than a PO Box because your address looks like it could be an apt address.

Technically, the correct format for an apt address is:
101 Main St Apt 201
City, ST 00000

And technically, the correct format for a private mailbox is:
101 Main St PMB 201
City, ST 00000

However, I just use this:
101 Main St #201
City, ST 00000

Never had a problem doing this is 2.5 years since I started.

A few years ago, the U.S. Postal Service was trying to force people to use the "PMB" designation (they threatened to not deliver "improperly" addressed mail to private mail boxes, but there was a court challenge or something and they backed off.

Related to the check thing... personally, I don't like that, by law in my state, your ID has to show your actual home address. It creeps me out any time I have to show ID to somebody at a store, restaurant, bar, etc... especially since every once in a while there a crime ring that pops up with friends of some restaurant employee robbing a patron's home when they're at the restaurant.

You people are too paranoid. I have my address on my checks and don't lose any sleep at night.
You're forgetting that in the modern age of databases, ANYONE can locate you quite easily. In fact, your social security number is up for sale on the Net as well.

I dropped into the grocery store last night for 2 items. I had them in hand and was in the express line within one minute. My jaw dropped when I saw the lady in front of me not only pay with a check, but wait until the total was completed to start writing out the check. My three minute stop took about 3x longer than it should have because of this one transaction.

It felt like the Visa commercial where the world stops because someone pays cash, but only worse.

And yes, I may be the most impatient person on earth.

OP: Why even bother getting new checks printed? The ones with single name should be just fine since you are not planning on using it in stores etc.

I still have checks with 3 of my old addresses on them, stretching back to my very first checking account. Since I became a homeowner 5 years ago, I use roughly 4-5 checks per year.

I'm more worried about the fact that my account number AND the bank's routing number are printed on all my checks...OMG!

Americans are becoming more and more self-absorbed and wussified!!! Please people, your identity aint worth that much...then soon you'll die!! Go get some chillaxative for your identity theft syndrome!! Then relax and enjoy whatever left from the damage your paranoia has brought you!!

bpydimer said: Americans are becoming more and more self-absorbed and wussified!!! Please people, your identity aint worth that much...then soon you'll die!! Go get some chillaxative for your identity theft syndrome!! Then relax and enjoy whatever left from the damage your paranoia has brought you!!I was actually a victim of ID theft recently...someone opened a Home Depot account in my name and charged ~$5000 in 2006 on one of those 12-months-no-payments plan. Home Depot Credit Services sent me a letter a couple months ago saying I owed the money. I called them, spoke to Citi's ID theft assistance department, and filed a police report over the phone. It was resolved a few weeks later, and I spent about 30 minutes total on the phone. Not painful at all.

For those of you with such pressing identity theft concerns, I'd STRONGLY recommend that your last Will and Testament directs your family to bury you in an unmarked grave. You then won't have to worry about some baddie who steals your name and birthdate to perpetrate mayhem and fraud..................

Make fun all you like, but having more info than necessary on the check serves no purpose whatever and could cost. Even if the cost is a 'painless' 20 minutes on the phone It's the epitome of a bad bet.

uutxs said: OP: Why even bother getting new checks printed? The ones with single name should be just fine since you are not planning on using it in stores etc.

Exactly.... although your SO may have trouble signing a check that only has your name PRINTED on it.

Make sure you add her to the account at the BANK (signature card).

But again, why spend money when you don't have to? Use the old checks until they are gone!

*THIS IS A JOKE! * Besides, we can take bets on which last longer; your old supply of checks, or....NEVERMIND! Lets just say that in this day and age, you might not have to order new checks!!!*

I have never had my address printed on my checks in 10 years. Never had a problem. I have never used them in a retail store though.

I've seen one woman who had her address, phone and drivers license number on it. So that's another extreme.

Some of you may argue with this, but checks aren't dead. They have their place when it is appropriate. When I pay for a permit for the city, they don't take credit cards.

I'm not concerned about checks having my name and address on them. I'm covered by WAMU ID Theft Services. ID theft can happen with CC numbers too. Or mail stolen from mailbox. Or data lost by a bank. Or a hundred other ways. No point worrying about that.

However, I am concerned about security aspects of having my bank account number and routing number printed on all my checks. I never pay seedy people by check (stores etc). I only write checks for landlord, government agencies, close friends, banks, etc. Still, I use checks from accounts that are used for writing checks. My savings are in other accounts, and only I and my bank (and IRS) know the account numbers of those accounts.

Anakin

codename47 said: What would be the upside to that again?

Because then you could get to become a victim of identity theft and have negatives put on your credit report. Then you dispute those in crayon and when they aren't removed on time you sue for thousands of dollars that you supposedly get all the time.

Do I get a cookie?

I haven't used a my actual home address for years. I move around frequently, but the address on my credit report, accounts, etc. always stays the same. I use a private mail box with forwarding service. In the past, I also used a PO box. My checks have these addresses printed on them.

I have recently seen a NY DL with a PO box address on it. However, many people still believe it is impossible.

I hadn't thought about not putting a name and adress on checks before.

About a year ago, I uncovered a security hole in my credit unions online banking which allowed anyone to view check images (all the data you would ever need for ID theft). Even know I dont believe it super secure, banks are cheap and dont want to pay for security. Since it is all electronic know, that information is out there everywhere, and is only protected by the weakest link.

This does not sit easy with me and I am trying to transition away from checks, altough CC's dont seem secure either, c'est la vie.

You aren't required to put any information on a check. A store also isn't required to accept it either. Decide what is more important (peace of mind vs. not having to fill it out everytime), and go from there.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014