• Text Only
dudetheobscure said: GordonGekko said:

$200 in Discover Gift Cards richer...what-to-buy??

That done, would anyone care to speculate as to why neither the bank nor the malls have bothered, even after several years, to derail this gravy train?

Discover Bank makes money from all the transactions that take place using their card (so they don't really care if items are returned).

The mall wins by getting tons of extra foot traffic (which i guess could lead to charging more rent to each tenant?).

So both parties have no reason to close this loophole.

I also can confirm that you can use the same card at two different malls to get $200 in cards. For those that don't want to return the items with a receipt that's been stamped, go buy something from the Apple Store and ask for a duplicate receipt when you do your "purchase".

chuckywang said: GordonGekko said: I am here to proudly report back that I am the first to successfully use the same exact card(my name/ same acct.#) at two different malls and report it here!!!

Used first time (reported above - 11/2), and just did it a second time this morning. Both malls swiped my card in a swiper connected to a laptop and also recorded my info. on a written log. This morning my receipt was also stamped - first mall didn't. I simply cut the stamp portion of the top of my receipt before I did the return.

Lucky you. The guy stamped my receipts right on the total charged line.
Doesn't matter - you can still return it whether it's stamped or not. The stamp only tells that mall not to count that receipt again when handing out gift cards.

puck71 said: chuckywang said: GordonGekko said: I am here to proudly report back that I am the first to successfully use the same exact card(my name/ same acct.#) at two different malls and report it here!!!

Used first time (reported above - 11/2), and just did it a second time this morning. Both malls swiped my card in a swiper connected to a laptop and also recorded my info. on a written log. This morning my receipt was also stamped - first mall didn't. I simply cut the stamp portion of the top of my receipt before I did the return.

Lucky you. The guy stamped my receipts right on the total charged line.
Doesn't matter - you can still return it whether it's stamped or not. The stamp only tells that mall not to count that receipt again when handing out gift cards.

True but not having a "stamped" receipt, removes the raised eyebrow factor and lessens the possibility any "unnecessary" questions that would delay the return by a frustrated sales person. Eventually, the return will be made it's just a matter of how much extra grief the stamp could add.

For anyone in the Northern Virginia area, Potomac Mills IS participating in this promotion this year, even though they are not listed under "Virginia." I have $300 in Discover Gift Cards on my couch cushion next to me.

glockophile said: For anyone in the Northern Virginia area, Potomac Mills IS participating in this promotion this year, even though they are not listed under "Virginia." I have $300 in Discover Gift Cards on my couch cushion next to me.

Do your $3000 in purchases happen to be right there on the couch cushion keeping them company?

dudetheobscure said: glockophile said: For anyone in the Northern Virginia area, Potomac Mills IS participating in this promotion this year, even though they are not listed under "Virginia." I have $300 in Discover Gift Cards on my couch cushion next to me.

Do your $3000 in purchases happen to be right there on the couch cushion keeping them company?

I returned them all within minutes.

There is no list of eligible cards on the offer page. Are all discover cards eligible?

glockophile said: dudetheobscure said: glockophile said: For anyone in the Northern Virginia area, Potomac Mills IS participating in this promotion this year, even though they are not listed under "Virginia." I have $300 in Discover Gift Cards on my couch cushion next to me.

humor me - what did you buy at PM for $3000 which was easy enough to carry over to the service desk and then return??

Easy, 6 PS3s! At least there is finally a reason for buying these overpriced doorstops

A couple of minor points.

Once a receipt is presented and you get cards the receipt cannot be used again. If you have say a $365 recept you can get one gift card and I assume the recept is stamped. You cannot come back later with another $35 in recepts and use the remaining $165. Of course, you can keep the receipt and hope you make more purchases to bring it to the next multiple of $200, but this risk losing the reciept or not getting back to the store before they run out.

One can look for smaller purchases to round upwards(MacDonalds gift cards were bought and Cingular said you could make payments for your prepaid cell phones as possibilities). Some planning might be done to break purchases into blocks so that they can be presented in $200 increments. Items may be run up separately so you can presented recepts in amounts closer to $200, reducing the need to carry receipts forward for the next visit.

In my mall, there was a Discover stand which I learned was manned by Discover employees (probably temporary), not mall employees. Alas, they left at 9PM (I was told at 9:03) a little before the mall closed at 9:30 leaving me with no place to collect on my receipts. Plan ahead and ask when they will be on duty. They had earlier indicated they were a ways from running out, but the numbers given suggested they could run out before the end of the promotion.

They pointed to the nearby Sharper Image store mentioning a number of those inquiring about the promotion shopped there (wonder why?). This suggests they may be getting significant abuse to me.

This particular Westfield mall had gift cards for values up to $300 which I was told could be bought with Discover and the Discover booth seemed to believe counted. Tey stated accruing fees after 15 months of $2.00 per month. For once who planned to shop at Sears, or another of the numerous stores there this could be a good investment.

I plan on doing this today, but was wondering of any problems people may have had on returns.

any more people tried the second round at another mall?

I get $200 gf using 2 dis card and return them without any issue. just wonder if going to a different mall???

Did this @ Macy's, bought/returned some overpriced pants and sweaters -> $100 Disc GC
I'm thinking about going to RadioShack next and using digital cameras this time (the pants and sweaters were heavy). Also, most of the cashiers did not mark my original receipt to designate that the product was returned and none of them looked or cared about the small stamp on the back "Turn Receipts into Rewards". I've got another card to use and a couple of more malls to try, hope they still have them left next week as well.

Also, Macy's has a return option that if you "lose" your receipt you can still get a credited refund (if you used a CC). So that is why I chose it for my trial run. But, this looks pretty safe to do anywhere and you can always return to a store not at that mall that has no idea about the promotion (as others have mentioned).

I am new here, but found this great post and would like to thank everyone. I was able to do this Discover deal at two different Malls and it worked. So I now have $200 in Discover Gift Cards. One thing that was interested at the second mall. My receipts totaled about $1200. The woman at the counter said, if you use all your receipts now, you wont be able to apply them towards other Discover Gift Cards. This is what some people do. I asked if there was a limit, she hesitated and said yes there is a limit. So, I wonder if you can do this more than one time at each mall.

SecretSaver said: Easy, 6 PS3s! At least there is finally a reason for buying these overpriced doorstops

Well the reason I asked is because at PM's, it was very hard for me to find an easy $1000 worth of stuff to purchase, carry to the center court, collect GCs and at a later point - maybe- return to the store.

My personal hint - find big stores that have a separate return line. Should you decide 30 minutes after your large purchase, buyers remorse kicks in - you don't have to face the same person who rang you up.

Anybody know if this work if you buy a gift card. For Example if I walk into Macy's and buy a $200 Macy's gift card. Will that qualify for the program???

SecretSaver said: Easy, 6 PS3s! At least there is finally a reason for buying these overpriced doorstops

LOL... sorry I had to give you green for original thinking.

th79 said: Anybody know if this work if you buy a gift card. For Example if I walk into Macy's and buy a $200 Macy's gift card. Will that qualify for the program???

It should. All you need is the total $ on your receipt.

There is a CC at Gurnee Mall in IL

skadoo323 said: wow with more and more people taking advantage of this deal, i can bet that fewer malls will even participate in the program next year.

Dont worry there will me new promotions and we will figure out new tricks to get full advantage.

th79 said: Anybody know if this work if you buy a gift card. For Example if I walk into Macy's and buy a $200 Macy's gift card. Will that qualify for the program???

As long as your purchase is from any store within the mall, you should be able to redeem your reciepts for rewards. The stores have nothing to do with this promotion.

I just did the second round at another mall. it works!

I think they only track what you did at his mall by limiting 5 gift cards per account. Once you go to another mall, it is another whole new ball game.

I did mine yesterday. I bought a Xbox, plus a PS3. I returned the Xbox. There is only one mall in my state that is participating.

I went yesterday to the mall and thought about buying the camcorder at target or Sears and then return it like others are doing. But when I read their return policy it says that their is 15% restocking fee for electronics. Which is not worth it. What does other people think? Thanks

always good to check the return policy first, otherwise it will not be a good deal unless you want to keep them

dealswatch said: I went yesterday to the mall and thought about buying the camcorder at target or Sears and then return it like others are doing. But when I read their return policy it says that their is 15% restocking fee for electronics. Which is not worth it. What does other people think? Thanks
\
Unless you plan on using the camcorder, you shouldn't have any issues, just don't open it...

from Sears.com
* A 15% restocking fee applies on Tires, select Home Appliances, Home Electronics, Home Improvement, Household Goods, Lawn & Garden, and Automotive products not returned in the original box, unused, and containing all original product packaging and accessories.
* Special orders cancelled after 24 hours of purchase are subject to a 15% order cancellation fee

Walked into Dillards grabbed a $400 leather bag, walked downstairs in the Dillards, paid with my Discover card. Then walked out of Dillards to the customer service desk back up stairs and into the area I bought the bag and returned it. 5 min and $40 later I am happy. (I also spend money on an eye appointment there that put me over the edge with the giftcard limits)

Thanks

There is a risk no one will be there to take your receipts after shopping.

I mentioned earlier how after shopping no one was at the stand just after 9:00PM (mall closes at 9:30). I went back today. No one was there and mall staff said they were probably on break. After an hour there was still no one there. The mall staff knew nothing and had not been told what to do (not even given a number to call). They kindly let me use their phone to call. A CSR at Discover claimed it was a Discover promotion with the cards sent out by Discover and did not believe I had to do anything at the mall (contrary to the advertising). She claimed she would have the gift cards sent out that day (first one, but then when I pointed out I had spent over $1000 agreed to five). Given the difference between her understanding and the advertised terms I am doubtful.

While they may have a simple case of someone not showing up for work here, they should have made provisions for this such as leaving the Mall staff with a phone number to call (it is hard to know if people you have hired are really showing up) and some instructions on handling this type of problem (not to mention a CSR who understand the program). A minimum would be in the signs for their booth to have a small notice with a phone number to call if no one was there or if there were any quesionts (informing them promptly of no show staff and making it possibel for inquiries and complaints to be routed to someone trained to deal with them, possibly by haivng recepts mailed in to a particular address or just by looking at the records and seeing what had been bought). While a case could be made for a system where Discover sent out the cards (permitting for instance a delay to be sure items had not been returned), this is not what was advertised.

Promising people gift cards, inducing them to spend significant sums, and then not being around to give them the promised gift cards could lead to unhappy customers for both Discover and the Mall.

I used the same card twice at the riverchase galleria mall in birmingham, AL and was able to get another 5 GC. It seems there is no way they can track it unless the CSR recognises you. The second time I went, the CSR asked did u use the same card last time. My answer was no and had my second set of 5 GC in my hand.

Somehow I managed to miss that this promotion was returning. It worked great for us last year. I couldn't believe how loosy goosy the program was, and it sounds like it hasn't changed.

I read through about half the thread and saw no mention of one thing I thought was weird about the promotion last year. I went online to check the remaining balance on one of my cards which I couldn't remember whether I used or not. It showed several recent transactions but what caught my eye was the name and address the card was registered to was some guy in Arizona. My initial thought was my card had been hacked or hijacked, and called the toll free number. The CSR told me not to worry and that they re-use the same numbers yearly for the promo, but don't change the registration. I couldn't believe it, but checked and all 5 of our cards were registered to someone else. I managed to use all the cards for groceries and such without incident, but it could prove problematic if you tried using for on online purchase perhaps.

Are the CSR scanning your credit cards into the system? How are you guys able to do it multiple times with the same credit card?

Porsche576 said: Are the CSR scanning your credit cards into the system? How are you guys able to do it multiple times with the same credit card?

they tried to scan mine but the scanner/laptop wouldn't work. The lady wrote down some info, name, last 4 digits, etc on a tracking sheet of some kind and had me sign it.

my experience....

my plan was to buy 2 PS3's at Sears but they only had one, had to buy the 2nd one at GameStop. Took my receipts to the little Discover podium. The lady told me I had spent the most of anyone so far...ha ha. She also thought it was funny that both of my receipts were for the exact same amount. As I mentioned above, she tried to swipe my card but it wouldn't work, she tried rebooting her Thinkpad to no avail, so she just wrote some info down and had me sign her sheet.

She volunteered that they have 3 people working the booth and if I wanted to do it again and get more gift cards, they wouldn't remember me... So there seems to be no real tracking of this.....

This was the first time I used this card in quite awhile since I get better rewards with other cards. The $1000 charges prompted a call from the Discover fraud department the next day but once they confirmed I did make the charges, that was that.

I called Discover before going shopping and let them know I would be spending large amounts of money. It didn't seem to help. The fraud dept still called today.

I used two different cards at the same mall about 1 hour apart.

FYI:

Those of you who are participating in this promo may be interested to know that new Discover Business accounts have a Holiday promo.

Get 10% Cash Back on your first $2,000 in restaurant purchases and your first $2,000 in electronics - up to $400.

Even better: Make $1,000 worth of your electronics purchases at one of the participating gift card malls and you'll get $200 back. Repeat at another mall.

Terms and link here

IrishBuckI said: glockophile said: dudetheobscure said: glockophile said: For anyone in the Northern Virginia area, Potomac Mills IS participating in this promotion this year, even though they are not listed under "Virginia." I have $300 in Discover Gift Cards on my couch cushion next to me.

humor me - what did you buy at PM for $3000 which was easy enough to carry over to the service desk and then return??

Gaming consoles at Electonics Boutique, GPS and camcorder at Radio Shack. Digital SLR at Ritz. If you're squeamish about returning the same day, all three of those stores have nearby offsite locations that you can drive to within minutes. But screw that. Just return them in the same store. The pimply-faced teenager ringing you up couldn't care less what you are going to do with those purchases, nor does Discover.

It helps to have a wife with another card who is willing to chip in with the effort. It only took about an hour and a half for an easy $300.

Anyone living in the Chicago or LA area will be very lucky! They have around 10 malls in those area.
If you have two discover card and do all the 10 malls, you will pocket $2000. That is very decent money

Anybody know if Discover Card GIft cards count as part of the $200 purchase.

For example if I get $20 in Discover GC for a previous purchase and apply it to a future purchase (180 charge to the dicover credit card and $20 bucks from Discover Gift Card).

th79 said: Anybody know if Discover Card GIft cards count as part of the $200 purchase.

For example if I get $20 in Discover GC for a previous purchase and apply it to a future purchase (180 charge to the dicover credit card and $20 bucks from Discover Gift Card).
It probably wouldn't count, but why bother? Just buy something for $20 and return it 2 minutes later.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014