• Text Only
th79 said: Anybody know if Discover Card GIft cards count as part of the $200 purchase.

For example if I get $20 in Discover GC for a previous purchase and apply it to a future purchase (180 charge to the dicover credit card and $20 bucks from Discover Gift Card).

I wouldn't do it if you might have to (want to) return the purchase.. I wouldn't trust the $20 credit would go back timely to the gift card without issues. If you're 100% certain you're keeping it - that's a different story.

What the hell do I do with 30 $20 gift cards?

I got my sister to participate and we have 3 discover cards each. I don't think a retailer will let you use 10 cards to buy 1 item.....will they? These probably have credit card like processing fees, so they'd be hit pretty hard.

Edit: I've thought about buying a single $100 gift card with 5 gift cards, but I'm not sure if a grocery store will let me use the multiple cards for a single transaction.

Any ideas?

What the hell would you do with 30 $20 bills???

Nowadays many stores easily accommodate multiple payment sources. You can use up to 4 at a time at Wal-Mart. Then there's always the heresy of buying gas $20 at a time. Yes, yes, it's really only $19 worth because you give up your rebate, but would you have spit on this deal if it read '$19 Discover GC for every $200 spent....'?

lray said: What the hell do I do with 30 $20 gift cards?

Any ideas?

Buy what you want, where you want.

lray said: What the hell do I do with 30 $20 gift cards?

I got my sister to participate and we have 3 discover cards each. I don't think a retailer will let you use 10 cards to buy 1 item.....will they? These probably have credit card like processing fees, so they'd be hit pretty hard.

Any ideas?

Uhh, why not use one each time you gas up for the next few months? Besides, if a retailer is hit with 2% processing fees, then 2% of $20 = $0.40, multiplied 30 times = $12. That's the same as 2% of a $600 purchase.

I've had absolutely no trouble using multiple $20 gift cards to make large purchases -- the cashiers never even blinked. Just pay with them first and tell the cashier that they are all worth $20.

As of right now, I'm going to have 52 very nice stocking stuffers for my X-mas cards. (boy I'm glad there is so much sub-urban sprawl and the malls that go with it in my area). I'm going to donate a couple to my work charity raffles and all the damn yankee swap grabbags I'll have to participate in at all the holiday parties I'm going to. They're better gifts than a bottle of crappy wine.

Just made the rounds in North East Ohio. Hit Beachwood, Strongsville and North Olmsted. The Discover rep swiped my card at 2 of the three malls but I got 5 cards from each of them. The hardest part was finding something for $1000 to charge! Discover fraud protection also emailed me after the first two $1000 purchases but a quick call cleared it up. I bought a Couch purse, a tool chest from Sears and a Nikon camera and returned them all within 10 minutes. Apparently it pays $300 to Discover! Thanks OP

I made the rounds as well today. Got a little worried because the CSR entered "ONLY FOR BUY FOR DISCOVER" into the reason field of the return receipt after I explicitly told her it was because I changed my mind, but I doubt it will matter. Those reason fields should remain within the retailer, not be sent to Discover. $300 in GC just in time for BF!

I second that there appears to be no overall limit (and no mall limit if you get a different person) and that Discover Fraud Prevention will probably contact you. I recommend returning to a different location if possible because some stores are aware of the promotion (although not so much aware of sentence structure!).

VerbalK said: As of right now, I'm going to have 52 very nice stocking stuffers for my X-mas cards. (boy I'm glad there is so much sub-urban sprawl and the malls that go with it in my area). I'm going to donate a couple to my work charity raffles and all the damn yankee swap grabbags I'll have to participate in at all the holiday parties I'm going to. They're better gifts than a bottle of crappy wine.

Are we to assume you actually bought (and presumably recycled) over $10K in merchandise at how many malls now?

dudetheobscure said: VerbalK said: As of right now, I'm going to have 52 very nice stocking stuffers for my X-mas cards. (boy I'm glad there is so much sub-urban sprawl and the malls that go with it in my area). I'm going to donate a couple to my work charity raffles and all the damn yankee swap grabbags I'll have to participate in at all the holiday parties I'm going to. They're better gifts than a bottle of crappy wine.

Are we to assume you actually bought (and presumably recycled) over $10K in merchandise at how many malls now?

VerbalK probably has more than one Disc card -> only 6 malls if only 2 Disc CC.

mst3kzz said: dudetheobscure said: VerbalK said: As of right now, I'm going to have 52 very nice stocking stuffers for my X-mas cards. (boy I'm glad there is so much sub-urban sprawl and the malls that go with it in my area). I'm going to donate a couple to my work charity raffles and all the damn yankee swap grabbags I'll have to participate in at all the holiday parties I'm going to. They're better gifts than a bottle of crappy wine.

Whatever - even if VerbalK had 10 cards, he/she'd have to have transacted over $10,000 to have amassed over 50 gift cards, right?

mst3kzz said: I made the rounds as well today. Got a little worried because the CSR entered "ONLY FOR BUY FOR DISCOVER" into the reason field of the return receipt after I explicitly told her it was because I changed my mind, but I doubt it will matter. Those reason fields should remain within the retailer, not be sent to Discover. $300 in GC just in time for BF!

I second that there appears to be no overall limit (and no mall limit if you get a different person) and that Discover Fraud Prevention will probably contact you. I recommend returning to a different location if possible because some stores are aware of the promotion (although not so much aware of sentence structure!).

That is what I did. I bought a $1000 camcorder at Sears and took it back to a Sears closer to my house. No problem at all.

$600 GC so far! I used my 2 disc card at three of my local malls.

Guess what, I will take a trip to Chicago for Thanksgiving and hot the malls there too when I get a chance Will be a fully paid vacation, xi xi

dudetheobscure said: mst3kzz said: dudetheobscure said: VerbalK said: As of right now, I'm going to have 52 very nice stocking stuffers for my X-mas cards. (boy I'm glad there is so much sub-urban sprawl and the malls that go with it in my area). I'm going to donate a couple to my work charity raffles and all the damn yankee swap grabbags I'll have to participate in at all the holiday parties I'm going to. They're better gifts than a bottle of crappy wine.

Whatever - even if VerbalK had 10 cards, he/she'd have to have transacted over $10,000 to have amassed over 50 gift cards, right?

It's not that unbelieveable. Buy (2) HD Camcorders or (4) high-end GPS units and you can easily reach $1000 on each card and you'll be finished after 5 transactions.

I'm really confused. Why do they have a 5 card/account limit and a card reader, but then don't enforce it, even at the same mall?

What's the point of swiping the card?

Edit: I have not tried it at the same mall, yet. Though I have done it 4x now at different malls.

Um, go to the map for the state that rhymes with Larymand... multiple the number of malls within 45 minutes of Malitibore by three cards, then by 5 gifts max... and you'll see I'm not even close to maxing out.

I've hit 6 malls with my Discover business. I'm now almost finished circling back with my regular discover card and then my Miles cards. Video cams at Sears, and Movado watches at Macy's have been my big targets... which reminds me, I have about 3000 dollars of shitty movado watches under my bed... I've never heard so much as a peep from any clerk during a return, even when I return 6 sony digital camcorder purchased at three differnt Sears stores, to another Sears.

I only did one mall so far with my 3 discover cards. I used 4 80gb PS3s and 3 ipod touchs to make my purchases and then returned them 30 min later. I have 2 more local malls to hit for $300 each then I will see about hitting some more distent malls.

Do we really have to call and activate every one of these cards? What a pain!

You can do it online at discovergiftcard.com. Yes you need to activate each card.

WalStMonky said: You can do it online at discovergiftcard.com. Yes you need to activate each card.

I can't get it to go through online. The site just tries to load forever after entering the card information.

This offer is way too easy to cash in on...

Please don't abuse and decide for yourself if the following scenario is ethical. Technically speaking this scenario plays by the rules Discover puts forth...

Buy a single big ticket item (furniture, big screen, fridge, range, etc) and schedule delivery for a future date. Of course, you do not take delivery making this method extremely easy. Pay with your Discover card and redeem your receipt for $100 in GC. Call the store and cancel the purchase. Very easily done at Macys or Sears. I have 3 Discover cards so I know it has indeed worked multiple times.

Does anyone know if you can liquidate your Discover GC using Paypal? I wouldn't mind paying a 3% Paypal fee. Just in case Discover decides to change the rules and cancel my GC.

I would also be interested in creative ways to make these cards fungible. My intention is to horde them and put them towards a new laptop in febuary. I worry about discover canceling them and I worry about the hassle of paying for something with 50+ $20 cards.

Thanx to those in the forum, actually bought something I needed at the Target in the mall and got $40.00 in Discover Gift Cards as a bonus.

Here is a great way I figured out to spend all those gift card and it worked for me. Send $20 Amazon e-gift card to yourself with a different email address and accumulate them in your Amazon gift card balance. First login to www.discovergiftcardbalance.com and you should be able to see the billing address for the card and it is most likely the address of the mall. Then you are going to use your own name and that mall's address as the billing address. For example, if you picked up 5 $20 Discover Gift Card, you are going to use them to send yourself 5 $20 Amazon e-gift card to yourself. At the end, you will have $100 in Amazon's gift card balance. Enjoy.

Just an fyi to those who may have a few dollars left on these cards and want to use every penny left. So far Target, JC Penney (limit of 5 credit cards a transaction), WalMart were all able to use multiple credit cards and even use the small amounts left on a card (ie only $1.30 on one card and $5.20 on another) to apply towards the total purchase. I just had to specify the amount left on the card.

I was going to buy some Brookstone stuff for xmas and get my 10% back card... but I bought the stuff on eBay and saved 30% instead.

While anyone can have a change of heart after a purchase, those boasting about "industrializing" this process by repeatedly using the same account at the same/different malls need to know that they could, if the bank chooses, be accused of "theft by deception", a crime in most jurisdictions.

dudetheobscure said: While anyone can have a change of heart after a purchase, those boasting about "industrializing" this process by repeatedly using the same account at the same/different malls need to know that they could, if the bank chooses, be accused of "theft by deception", a crime in most jurisdictions.that's what I thought yesterday, but today I'm not sure... if the program terms aren't sufficiently clear... and I don't know if they are or not. it's definitely a dishonest and shitty thing to do though.

dudetheobscure said: While anyone can have a change of heart after a purchase, those boasting about "industrializing" this process by repeatedly using the same account at the same/different malls need to know that they could, if the bank chooses, be accused of "theft by deception", a crime in most jurisdictions.

Are you trying to help us FWers stay out of trouble, protect Discover or just pretending to know something about the law?

An employee working the Discover booth flat out told me directly in clear language that card holders can redeem multiple $1K receipts for multiple rounds of $100 gift cards. If Discover didn't intend/want for card holders to take advantage of this offer multiple times, then wouldn't you think a multi billion dollar company would have the capacity to put controls into place?

This promotion has been around for years. Why? Because Discover makes A LOT of money.

mikeccall said: dudetheobscure said: While anyone can have a change of heart after a purchase, those boasting about "industrializing" this process by repeatedly using the same account at the same/different malls need to know that they could, if the bank chooses, be accused of "theft by deception", a crime in most jurisdictions.

Are you trying to help us FWers stay out of trouble, protect Discover or just pretending to know something about the law?

An employee working the Discover booth flat out told me directly in clear language that card holders can redeem multiple $1K receipts for multiple rounds of $100 gift cards. If Discover didn't intend/want for card holders to take advantage of this offer multiple times, then wouldn't you think a multi billion dollar company would have the capacity to put controls into place?

This promotion has been around for years. Why? Because Discover makes A LOT of money.

Do you really think by their laxity Discover is indicating that they "intend/want" card holders to bleed them for thousands in gift cards with fake "purchases?" If a bank forgets to lock the vault, do you also think they intend/want/expect to find it empty the next morning? Seriously.

dudetheobscure said: mikeccall said: dudetheobscure said: While anyone can have a change of heart after a purchase, those boasting about "industrializing" this process by repeatedly using the same account at the same/different malls need to know that they could, if the bank chooses, be accused of "theft by deception", a crime in most jurisdictions.

Do you really think by their laxity Discover is indicating that they "intend/want" card holders to bleed them for thousands in gift cards with fake "purchases?" If a bank forgets to lock the vault, do you also think they intend/want/expect to find it empty the next morning? Seriously.

Churning the Discover offer is analogous to bank robbery? LMAO

A more accurate analogy is opening a checking account for the purpose of getting a $100 bonus, and then closing the account after receiving the bonus. You have a problem with this scenario too?

Since apparently you know Discover's intentions, why did the Discover rep tell me this offer is churnable?

Perhaps FW just isn't for you old timer...

[edit] Seriously.

I see $300 as the amount a lot of you are getting...I thought a max of $100 was possible ( 5 $20 cards)
Anything I am missing?

$100 per mall, per visit....

Some suggestions to make it alive next year:

it will be better for people to do the return after a couple of days, intead of 30 mins which could make sales people upset, which could lead them to complain to Discover, which could lead to more limitation or cancellation next season.

a little patience and leg work will go a long way.

My work is done! Total $800 Gift Cards from 4 Malls and it is tax free money which means more! A nice tax free bonus! Thanks, Discover!

For those from IL, which malls in IL have the lowest fees for cards, especially high dollar cards?

The Westfield malls seem like the max is $300 per card, and each card carries a $2 fee and 4.5% fraud prevention fee.. so roughly $15 per card in fees. Any tips would be appreciated. Driving by Gurnee Mills here shortly and will call first to find out the terms on their gift cards, as they are Simon owned.

Thanks in advance,
-Ed

FairGame69 said: Some suggestions to make it alive next year:

it will be better for people to do the return after a couple of days, intead of 30 mins which could make sales people upset, which could lead them to complain to Discover, which could lead to more limitation or cancellation next season.

a little patience and leg work will go a long way.

My work is done! Total $800 Gift Cards from 4 Malls and it is tax free money which means more! A nice tax free bonus! Thanks, Discover!
In addition, you might consider returning the item to a non-Discover-promotion mall or store. Sears and Macy's are easy for this strategy. Purchase item at Store-A in mall; get Discover Gift Cards; several days later return items to a different store (if not too inconvenient).

Activating and using these gift cards is a nuisance.

I entered the numbers into my computer in MS Word and then copied into the activation form. The first few digits are the same on all the cards I have and copying and pasting speeded up the process a little for these numbers.

This way I have a record of numbers (if lost), and can copy again when purchasing something on line (such as the above idea of buying Amazon certificates and then making your purchases), or later checking the balance (if used partially).

I used one on line for a small purchase and also noted the amount next to it for record keepiing.

On registration you may want to also copy the owner name and address (a mall in my case) since this may be needed to use it on line, and again copy and paste can save time (especially wehn there are several cards with the same address).

I was unable to make these work at a local supermarket Giant), although it may just have been done wrong. From the write up these are credit cards and should be entered as a credit card, not a gift card or debit card.

Of course you could use these as gifts and leave the recipient with the problem of activiating and using them, but you can probably use them more efficiently (less total time if done at once) and are less likely to fall into traps such as leaving a small balance that you do not know how to use.

You may find some utility bills you can pay on line partially as a way to use up odd amounts, but I found Verizon did not take Discover.

these cards fortunately have space for writing down how they were used (and hence knowing what is left to be used for telling a cashier how much to charge on larger purchases.

I am now realistically maxed out.

3 cards, 5 malls, 5 cards per = $1500. Unless I want to head up to Delaware, or down to Gaithersburg, I think I'm done. I have one more Movado watch left to return.

To alleviate any sense of guilt... I gave about $400 worth of them away to a chartibable raffle. The rest will likely be X-mas presents.

Very well done. I myself have accrued $500 so far and will get another $500 this coming weekend. Now, what to use them on...

I can't believe I have been so slow to take advantage of this. Time to start working.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014