• Text Only
VerbalK said: I am now realistically maxed out.

3 cards, 5 malls, 5 cards per = $1500. Unless I want to head up to Delaware, or down to Gaithersburg, I think I'm done. I have one more Movado watch left to return.

To alleviate any sense of guilt... I gave about $400 worth of them away to a chartibable raffle. The rest will likely be X-mas presents.

VK< I were you, I will go Gaithersburg or DE for sure, just return it on the same trip

I did my second round today

I'm OUT!!!

http://www.discovercard.com/discover/data/nebraska.html

Lincoln
Westfield Gateway, Lincoln
Omaha
Oak View Mall, Omaha
Westroads Mall, Omaha

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/05/mall.shooting/index.html

(CNN) -- A 19-year-old gunman who killed eight people and then himself Wednesday at the Westroads Mall in Omaha, Nebraska, left a suicide note, police said.

furrypanda said: Here is a great way I figured out to spend all those gift card and it worked for me. Send $20 Amazon e-gift card to yourself with a different email address and accumulate them in your Amazon gift card balance. First login to www.discovergiftcardbalance.com and you should be able to see the billing address for the card and it is most likely the address of the mall. Then you are going to use your own name and that mall's address as the billing address. For example, if you picked up 5 $20 Discover Gift Card, you are going to use them to send yourself 5 $20 Amazon e-gift card to yourself. At the end, you will have $100 in Amazon's gift card balance. Enjoy.

You don't even need to do all that. You can use your own email address to send AND receive the Amazon GCs. And you can use your own billing address.

chuckywang said: Usorry said: Info for those who haven't played this one before:

1. Receipts can be cumulative. (e.g. $23 for Store A + $190 for Store B)
2. Gift Cards do not get returned if you return the merchandise. The deal is with the company that runs the malls, not the individual stores.
3. Yes, you can purchase gift cards
4. When your receipt is verified for redemption, it is stamped so that you can not use it again.
5. Yes, you can use multiple Discover Card accounts.
6. Shop early these will run out by December.

Bonus - If your mall has a restaurant, eat there. 5% for the restaurant promotion + the receipt total counts towards the amount needed for the gift card redemption.

They don't actually take your receipts? What's stopping you from buying a $200 item, getting your $20 card, and then returning that $200 item?

Nothing, except maybe your own ethics or morals.

I found that at times the Discovery activation site does not work. Activate your cards early so you can use them when you want to.

Amazon gift cards were mentioned as one use. They will issue these in any amount over $5.00, so this is one way to use a card which is partially used. For instance, after paying a small copayment of $8.23,I bought an Amazon gift certificate for $11.77 (which was used with others in making a larger Amazon purchase). If you shop Amazon seldom and do not want to end up with a credit balance there (if you put in more than you spend you create a credit balance for your next purchase), you could request e-mailed gift certificates adding up to the exact amount of your intended purchase.

I have a Circuit City in my local mall that is participating in this promotion. Does anyone know if I can place an order online for local pickup to utilize the 5% CashBack from shopdiscover.com and then redeem the receipt at the mall for the gift cards?

EdmondLD said: I have a Circuit City in my local mall that is participating in this promotion. Does anyone know if I can place an order online for local pickup to utilize the 5% CashBack from shopdiscover.com and then redeem the receipt at the mall for the gift cards?
I don't see why that wouldn't work. When you do in-store pickup at CC they give you a store receipt.

I'm going to hit the mall later tonight. Yes, I've been a little late on this deal b/c the mall is so far away. Has anyone run into them not having any Discover Gift Cards left?

I got busted! My girlfriend and I went power shopping with our discover cards. We bought some electronics, got our gift cards, returned the items an hour later. we told the electronics sales guy that my husband found the items cheaper on eBay. then we kept shopping in the mall so we could use our other discover card. When we went back to to customer service, we saw the manager from the electronics store. he told the customer service people not to give us any more gift cards! we asked for a manager,because we were using a different discover account. we explained our return to the electronics store, but he said he couldn't do anything for us and that it might be considered fraud if we came back for more cards. we just about died of embarrassment!! now i'm convinced someone is going to come after us for fraud. what if i need to return some of our xmas presents? will discover give me a hard time? none of the stores care--except for the electronics one.

On purchasing Amazon cards I disocvered Google mail (and perhaps other mail programs) when it sees severzal E-mails from one firm with the same title line and about the same content directs it to the SPAM folder. There I found several Amazon certifcates I had ordered and was waiting for.

Amazon has an advantage as a place to use these since if you end up returning an item, I believe they recredit your gift card account while with most other uses you could find they insist on recrediting your gift card (which you have long tossed, or confused with another gift card).

Amazon is surprizingly slow (I am waiting for two more certificates ordered this morning) and if you have a purchase you want to make (perhaps a sale item they may run out of) you may wish to get the certificates early.

I must confess I am surprized the Malls and Discover had not done somethin to reduce abuse.

It would be very easy to mail the cards to you after a delay and to state in the terms and conditions that returned items did not qualify. Avoiding problems with returns is one reason most credit card point systems include such language and often have a lag before you can get your reward or rebate.

They could also have your mail in the receipts, speeding up processing and eliminating employees in stores (although that might call for a complicated computer system to know which stores were in relelvant malls). It would be easy then to make certain cards were not used repeatedly in different malls or even the same one.

This could also avoid the problem I complained of customers taking advantage of the promotion and then discovering the Discover booth was not manned when they came back to claim their gift cards. This creates vast customer ill will.

A version of this would have instore employees who give you a form you mail in after stamping the receipts and calculating the amount (or they could collect them and sent them in for you at the end of each day). A simple delay would make it possible to correct for returns (or at least the really flagrant examples where a quick look at the card record showed there had been returns equaling or approaching total purchases.

The cases of missing employees in the stores could be handled by having the customers mail in their receipts (still makes customers unhappy, but less unhappy than if they lose out on their rewards or have to make another trip to the mall just to get the cards).

Besides the savings in employee costs and abuse losses, they would profit from the large numbers of people never get around to sending in forms (which is a major source of profit for firms that offer rebates).

A delayed system like this would also make it easier to tie gift cards to specific Discover cards and to threaten to cancel the gift cards for bad abuse. I imagine it would also reduce the risk of theft or abuse by their employees (who must be temporary hires)and who handle large sums in gift cards. For instance, I could imagine them figuring out ways to collect receipts from trash cans, friendly employees of stores, or just giving cards to friends (or pocketing them). I suspect tempory employees are sometimes hard to locate after the Christmas season.

I guess the immediate reward effect of being given a gift card at the mall is believe to outweigh the advantges of another system for the malls and Discover card.

ProfessorEd said: I must confess I am surprized the Malls and Discover had not done somethin to reduce abuse.

It would be very easy to mail the cards to you after a delay and to state in the terms and conditions that returnsed items did not qualify. Avoiding problems with returns is one reason most credit card point systems include such language and often have a lag before you can get your reward or rebate...

...I guess the immediate reward effect of being given a gift card at the mall is believe to outweigh the advantges of another system for the malls and Discover card.

It benefits the mall for you to get the gift card in the mall (so you are more likely to spend it there).
Also, the number of people who are buying and not returning probably far outweighs those who are abusing it. The psychological effect of getting that $20 gift card right after your purchases is a lot more rewarding to people than 5% CashBack on your next statement. The malls really can't do a thing about it if you return to a store not in that mall. Discover appears not to care.

Yes, you may spend the card in the mall. However, their system requires activation of the cards and this makes it less likely they will be spent in the malls. With a cell phone it appears you could do this if the delays on the phone are tolerable. Since I noticed their system even on line sometimes seemed to just spin its wheels, I can imagine problems by phone also).

Also, if you try to use the gift card immediately you become aware of the high hassle factor in using these things and this might actually be counterproductive. I suspect many did not anticapte the need to activate the cards, the slowness of doing so, or the problems with stoe clerks who id not know who to process payments with multiple sources of payments, or the nuisance of ending up was a card with a small balance.

blondie6ft said: I got busted! My girlfriend and I went power shopping with our discover cards. We bought some electronics, got our gift cards, returned the items an hour later. we told the electronics sales guy that my husband found the items cheaper on eBay. then we kept shopping in the mall so we could use our other discover card. When we went back to to customer service, we saw the manager from the electronics store. he told the customer service people not to give us any more gift cards! we asked for a manager,because we were using a different discover account. we explained our return to the electronics store, but he said he couldn't do anything for us and that it might be considered fraud if we came back for more cards. we just about died of embarrassment!! now i'm convinced someone is going to come after us for fraud. what if i need to return some of our xmas presents? will discover give me a hard time? none of the stores care--except for the electronics one.

no wonder why you got flagged. you seem to have a tough time keeping your story straight.

2stepsbehind said: blondie6ft said: I got busted! My girlfriend and I went power shopping with our discover cards. We bought some electronics, got our gift cards, returned the items an hour later. we told the electronics sales guy that my husband found the items cheaper on eBay. then we kept shopping in the mall so we could use our other discover card. When we went back to to customer service, we saw the manager from the electronics store. he told the customer service people not to give us any more gift cards! we asked for a manager,because we were using a different discover account. we explained our return to the electronics store, but he said he couldn't do anything for us and that it might be considered fraud if we came back for more cards. we just about died of embarrassment!! now i'm convinced someone is going to come after us for fraud. what if i need to return some of our xmas presents? will discover give me a hard time? none of the stores care--except for the electronics one.

no wonder why you got flagged. you seem to have a tough time keeping your story straight.

"This 6ft blondie girl went shopping with her girlfriend. They bought some electronics, got their gift cards, returned the items an hour later. They told the electronics sales guy that her (the 6ft blondie)husband found the items cheaper on eBay."
You are two steps behind

thank you,austinmorris

blondie6ft said: I got busted! My girlfriend and I went power shopping with our discover cards. We bought some electronics, got our gift cards, returned the items an hour later. we told the electronics sales guy that my husband found the items cheaper on eBay. then we kept shopping in the mall so we could use our other discover card. When we went back to to customer service, we saw the manager from the electronics store. he told the customer service people not to give us any more gift cards! we asked for a manager,because we were using a different discover account. we explained our return to the electronics store, but he said he couldn't do anything for us and that it might be considered fraud if we came back for more cards. we just about died of embarrassment!! now i'm convinced someone is going to come after us for fraud. what if i need to return some of our xmas presents? will discover give me a hard time? none of the stores care--except for the electronics one. Moral of the story, AGAIN, is to wait until after you have all the gift cards you're going to get until returning stuff, OR return the stuff to another location, if possible. Most places have 30-60 day return policies, but even if it's 14 days, I think it would be better waiting a few days before returning it. The guy probably wondered how you found it for cheaper on eBay in an hour while still in the mall...

Either way, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. There's nothing in the terms that says you can't return the items. That store may not like it, but that's not your problem.

LOOKOUT LOL

A Texas couple accused of stealing more than $375,000 in merchandise from four stores pleaded not guilty yesterday to nearly three dozen burglary charges.
Danielle Hayes, 32, and Terrance Malone, 32, were arrested Thursday in San Diego, ending a spree that involved more than 2,000 transactions in 34 states over the past four years, according to the state Attorney General's Office.
They are being held on $350,000 bail each.

Authorities said the couple used a complicated refund and exchange scheme involving 27 debit and credit cards that led retailers to issue more refunds than the amount charged, netting the couple a profit. Stores included Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn and Victoria's Secret.

They were arrested in the Westfield UTC parking lot Thursday night, authorities said.

They are accused of stealing more than $40,000 in California alone, including $3,000 from malls across San Diego County.

petenth said: LOOKOUT LOL

A Texas couple accused of stealing more than $375,000 in merchandise from four stores pleaded not guilty yesterday to nearly three dozen burglary charges.
Danielle Hayes, 32, and Terrance Malone, 32, were arrested Thursday in San Diego, ending a spree that involved more than 2,000 transactions in 34 states over the past four years, according to the state Attorney General's Office.
They are being held on $350,000 bail each.

Authorities said the couple used a complicated refund and exchange scheme involving 27 debit and credit cards that led retailers to issue more refunds than the amount charged, netting the couple a profit. Stores included Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn and Victoria's Secret.

They were arrested in the Westfield UTC parking lot Thursday night, authorities said.

They are accused of stealing more than $40,000 in California alone, including $3,000 from malls across San Diego County.

"Brown's office cited as an example a series of fraudulent purchases and returns involving Williams-Sonoma where the couple allegedly purchased 19 salt and pepper mills and eight wine openers at $139 each. Brown said the couple then allegedly returned 387 mills and 89 wine openers, for $75 for the mills and $139 for the wine openers, netting $38,859."

"The couple would allegedly return previously bought items while simultaneously buying new goods on store credit.

They then would return the new purchases at different shops using an old receipt, getting illicit credits for more than was originally charged, authorities allege.

Most of the thousands of returned items were small but expensive products.

At Williams-Sonoma outlets, for example, the couple allegedly bought 19 salt-and-pepper mills costing $75 apiece and eight $139 wine openers, then returned 387 seasoning dispensers and 89 cork removers, defrauding the chain out of $38,859 in a single transaction."

I created a new thread to discuss exactly how they did it.

dudetheobscure said: While anyone can have a change of heart after a purchase, those boasting about "industrializing" this process by repeatedly using the same account at the same/different malls need to know that they could, if the bank chooses, be accused of "theft by deception", a crime in most jurisdictions.

Where is the deception? I bought the items, and returned them. It would be theft by deception if I deceived someone and obtained the items or gift cards by virtue of the deception. I made no representation about my intentions, and nobody ever asked if I intended to return the items. Thus, no deception or false impression ever took place.

I have done $100 at Westfield mall. They run your card on an old, not wifi notebook. Anyone have sucess return to the same mall at a later date and earning more cards? Does the notebook flag you?

Thanks

VerbalK said: Um, go to the map for the state that rhymes with Larymand... multiple the number of malls within 45 minutes of Malitibore by three cards, then by 5 gifts max... and you'll see I'm not even close to maxing out.

I've hit 6 malls with my Discover business. I'm now almost finished circling back with my regular discover card and then my Miles cards. Video cams at Sears, and Movado watches at Macy's have been my big targets... which reminds me, I have about 3000 dollars of shitty movado watches under my bed... I've never heard so much as a peep from any clerk during a return, even when I return 6 sony digital camcorder purchased at three differnt Sears stores, to another Sears.

Should all Macy's have these Movado watches, I went in looking for them but I could not find this brand. All I saw was $200 - $300 ones.

Any other ideas for small Macys items?

Yeah, you have to go to the "nice" Macy's. I returned some of them to the non-nice Macy's, and it caused a bit of problem since no one there new what the 1100 dollar models looked like to verify that I didn't switch it with a fake. After a phone call though, it was resolved.

Maybe buy a his/her's set? You could always try ladies jewelry as well.

I'm not sure if this was covered as I didn't read every page.

Most (but not all) of these GGP malls sell a "Mall GGP gift card". I have seen a Discover and an AMEX version. These gift cards are included in the promo. So $1000 in mall gift cards 1% Cash Back and 10% back in Discover Gift Cards. = $110 - $4.00 transaction fees to purchase the cards = $106 profit

The kicker here is that those same "GGP gift cards" are usable anywhere Discover or AMEX is accepted respectively. The discover one spells that out in the terms. The AMEX eludes to the fact that it does not work elsewhere but 3 purchases at WalMart/Best Buy/Smiths would argue otherwise.

SMOKING HOT DEAL IMO. YMMV of course.

What's the best way to consolidate these $20 gift cards?

triplelake said: What's the best way to consolidate these $20 gift cards?

Free $20 fill ups at gas stations comes to mind, no need to consolidate.

Minoritydan said: triplelake said: What's the best way to consolidate these $20 gift cards?

It doesn't work directly at the pump, need to convert it to gas card first, which is kind of troublesome.

triplelake said: Minoritydan said: triplelake said: What's the best way to consolidate these $20 gift cards?

It doesn't work directly at the pump, need to convert it to gas card first, which is kind of troublesome.

Doh!

Sorry for the advice then.

T& C say 5 per account max right? so multiple malls will be risky correct? Anyone get taken to arbitration on this?

LOL at red, How is this not a valid question?

triplelake said: Minoritydan said: triplelake said: What's the best way to consolidate these $20 gift cards?

You may be referring to sliding the Discovre Gift Card directly at the pump. Instead you may wanna try this, it has worked for me: Pump the gas first (without sliding any card). Go inside and pay with the GC, remembering to select CREDIT, not DEBIT. Further, I would recommend purchasing $20 worth of gas, or less. Even if you have to do 2 separate transactions.

"$20 on pump #1, please"

I should have got on this much sooner.

$500 in GC's so far.

-- DELETED using multiple discover cards comment, since its already been discussed.

VerbalK said: Yeah, you have to go to the "nice" Macy's. I returned some of them to the non-nice Macy's, and it caused a bit of problem since no one there new what the 1100 dollar models looked like to verify that I didn't switch it with a fake. After a phone call though, it was resolved.

Maybe buy a his/her's set? You could always try ladies jewelry as well.

VK

I am in your Area, I hit up 5 malls today but only have 1 card, so I'll have to plan to have more for this round next year.

Did you return the Movado's to the mall the rhymes with Obscurity Square? I'm thinking of returning mine there. Im surprised Glowings Hills mall was not included.

Up to $700 in GC's now. The Lady at one Macy's screwed up and charged me twice for the watch, then voided the transactions before correctly charging me a third time.

This wiped out my CL on my only discover card, since the voided transactions will take 2 days to post back to my CL. I had to abandon my attempts to get to $900. I'll confirm that I have the Available credit later this week, then take my last drive out to the only malls left I can visit for this deal.

I am definitely going to open some more disc accounts in preparation for this deal next winter! I could triple my earnings!

Courtjester2001 said: I'm not sure if this was covered as I didn't read every page.

Most (but not all) of these GGP malls sell a "Mall GGP gift card". I have seen a Discover and an AMEX version. These gift cards are included in the promo. So $1000 in mall gift cards 1% Cash Back and 10% back in Discover Gift Cards. = $110 - $4.00 transaction fees to purchase the cards = $106 profit

The kicker here is that those same "GGP gift cards" are usable anywhere Discover or AMEX is accepted respectively. The discover one spells that out in the terms. The AMEX eludes to the fact that it does not work elsewhere but 3 purchases at WalMart/Best Buy/Smiths would argue otherwise.

SMOKING HOT DEAL IMO. YMMV of course.

These gift cards usually have purchase/activation fees that severely cut into profit don't they?

Interesting Update.

I went back to a mall in the Baltimore/Columbia Area to pick up a new MP3 player, and decided to see if I could double dip and get another $100 in GC's from purchasing on the same discover card. I picked up a $1000 camcorder from Best Buy, went to the Customer service center and it worked.

My card was swiped (same as the last time) and I signed my name and picked up the cards.

Now I have to rush to return everything and get my Credit Limit Back and make a second round in all the malls I already Hit.

Double Dipping on the same card for $200 in Gift cards at the same mall confirmed. (They Swiped mine both times on the laptop, but it was several days apart)

Damn, you just ruined my Saturday if this is true.

VerbalK said: Damn, you just ruined my Saturday if this is true.

I ruined mine too!

I just returned all of the Movado's I bought today and I gotta return the Camcorder to Bestbuy tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll have my full CL available for the 695 / 495 /270 Mad Mad Mad Mad world Dash for Gift Cards!

I Pmed you Verbalk...

jlgrandam said:
These gift cards usually have purchase/activation fees that severely cut into profit don't they?
NO

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014