• Text Only
nymgiants said: Just got my 5 cards. I bought 2 $500 visa gift cards. Paid 2.00 per card at the same counter I redeemed for my 5 $20 cards.

Visa card for $2 fee? That's a good deal..Which mall is this?

thanksop said: Usorry said: Info for those who haven't played this one before:

1. Receipts can be cumulative. (e.g. $23 for Store A + $190 for Store B)
2. Gift Cards do not get returned if you return the merchandise. The deal is with the company that runs the malls, not the individual stores.
3. Yes, you can purchase gift cards
4. When your receipt is verified for redemption, it is stamped so that you can not use it again.
5. Yes, you can use multiple Discover Card accounts.
6. Shop early these will run out by December.

Bonus - If your mall has a restaurant, eat there. 5% for the restaurant promotion + the receipt total counts towards the amount needed for the gift card redemption.

Thats so helpful!! In what store should I show the receipts for redemption? Is it any store in the mall? How do they recognize the offer. Should I have the printout of the offer handy? Thanks

thanksop
You redeem it at the mall itself, not at any of the stores in the mall. Per the official site linked in the original post:

"Just take $200 in Discover Card receipts from any store(s) at a participating mall or shopping center to Customer Service (or the Discover Card Booth) and redeem them for a $20 Discover Gift Card."

puck71 said: thanksop said: Usorry said: Info for those who haven't played this one before:

2. Gift Cards do not get returned if you return the merchandise. The deal is with the company that runs the malls, not the individual stores.
4. When your receipt is verified for redemption, it is stamped so that you can not use it again.

Bonus - If your mall has a restaurant, eat there. 5% for the restaurant promotion + the receipt total counts towards the amount needed for the gift card redemption.

Thats so helpful!! In what store should I show the receipts for redemption? Is it any store in the mall? How do they recognize the offer. Should I have the printout of the offer handy? Thanks

thanksop
You redeem it at the mall itself, not at any of the stores in the mall. Per the official site linked in the original post:

"Just take $200 in Discover Card receipts from any store(s) at a participating mall or shopping center to Customer Service (or the Discover Card Booth) and redeem them for a $20 Discover Gift Card."

I am of the opinion that a mall means a collection of stores. Would there be a special counter or office like thing for a mall? How do I locate them in the mall?

Thanks,
thanksop

thanksop said: puck71 said: thanksop said: Usorry said: Info for those who haven't played this one before:

thanksop

I am of the opinion that a mall means a collection of stores. Would there be a special counter or office like thing for a mall? How do I locate them in the mall?

Thanks,
thanksop
Again, it says you do it at Customer Service. Every mall that I know of has a counter or office somewhere called "Customer Service."

nymgiants said: Just got my 5 cards. I bought 2 $500 visa gift cards. Paid 2.00 per card at the same counter I redeemed for my 5 $20 cards.

The service person had to swipe my discovercard to give me the 5 gift cards. When I asked her about the swipe she said that was to record my info for the 5 limit with discover. I am not sure if I can get another 5 cards somewhere else as it was now recorded onlien with discover.

Has anyone been able to get another 5 cards at a different location with the same discovercard "this year"?

Couple of questions

1) The gift cards you bought: Are they good at any place that takes Visa or are they gift cards just for the mall?
2) If they are good anywhere, does Discover consider that like withdrawing cash (can't remember the technical name for it)? Would you actually get CashBack for that as well?

where did you get visa cards? all the malls i clicked on offered only gift cards that were good for mall purchases.

Most malls in Mass area seem to sell either mall store cards or AMEX/Discover GCs. The mall store cards are at $2/$500. The AMEX/Discover GCs are more costly.

The malls here are about one hour away from where we live, it does not seem convenient to shop over there.

blondie6ft said: where did you get visa cards? all the malls i clicked on offered only gift cards that were good for mall purchases.

Saw mills in florida. and it can be used anywhere that accepts visa. Also I asked the service person about the swipe she made and she said it was to discover and not for the mall itself. I think they may have got smart and make sure that no more than 5 per account. If someone was able to get more than 5 for one account this year. I may try another place, but it is not close to where I am.

Sheesh, what an ordeal! when I got to the desk I showed my card to the guy and he says, oh, I don't know if this is one of the cards honored. Did I give him a Miles card, a Open Road card? No, plain vanilla Discover. Oh well god bless him he's working. Anyway while he searched his book to verify that a Discover card was worthy of the promotion, I noticed in his book that Discover Gift Cards are eligible. I thought brighter minds than mine might be able to make something of it. It is limit 5 cards per account and the GCs all have different account #s.
Oh, is there any indication that the Discover Miles card or other permutations would be ineligible?

If you buy two $500 gift cards (at $2 fee each).... can you pay the $2 fees cash and only charge $1000 to the Discover card? My Discover card only has a $1000 limit.

Three of the four Mass malls are in the process of changing from AMEX GCs to Discover GCs. The Discover GC is at $4.95/$100. In addition, note that Discover GCs are not that widely accepted. $1,000 Discover GC may be difficult to get rid of (i.e., spend)

I'm also curious where anyone claims cash-equivalent AMEX GC's can be bought for only a 2% fee.

Thanks & Green OP.

Fairfield, CA
-Went to Sears, bought a $1350.00 Craftsman tool chest to pick-up later.
-Went to Westfield Mall CS desk
-Discover Card Desk immediately next to it
-Showed receipt
-Discover guy swiped my Discover Card
-He did not stamp or alter my Sears receipt
-Handed me 5 $20 GC's
-Will go back to Sears in morning and tell them I changed my mind about Tool Chest and have Discover Card credited.

IT PAYS TO DISCOVER!

Can you return store giftcards? For example if I bought 2 $500 gift cards at Macy's, got my 5 $20 giftcards and then decided to return the cards would Macy's refund my money?

The critical question is: has anyone been denied the promo after trying to use the same account at more than one mall? If so, then we'll know for sure the system is now centralized.

GordonGekko said: Thanks & Green OP.

Fairfield, CA
-Went to Sears, bought a $1350.00 Craftsman tool chest to pick-up later.
-Went to Westfield Mall CS desk
-Discover Card Desk immediately next to it
-Showed receipt
-Discover guy swiped my Discover Card
-He did not stamp or alter my Sears receipt
-Handed me 5 $20 GC's
-Will go back to Sears in morning and tell them I changed my mind about Tool Chest and have Discover Card credited.

IT PAYS TO DISCOVER!

Power to the robbery.

2stepsbehind said: Can you return store giftcards? For example if I bought 2 $500 gift cards at Macy's, got my 5 $20 giftcards and then decided to return the cards would Macy's refund me the money?

Absolutely not.

Usorry said: Info for those who haven't played this one before:

They don't actually take your receipts? What's stopping you from buying a $200 item, getting your $20 card, and then returning that $200 item?

chuckywang said: Usorry said: Info for those who haven't played this one before:

They don't actually take your receipts? What's stopping you from buying a $200 item, getting your $20 card, and then returning that $200 item?

Nothing

why isnt VA on the list (potomac mills) like it was last few years?

I am going to try it today and post the result.

Update:
Made $100 - single $1300 purchase

In my mall, Discover CSR took my crdit card info and receipt info and gave me 5 $20 GC.

She scan my Discover card before giving GC to make sure I did't get any GC before.

Just got back from the mall.. Here's my little story..

Went to the Customer Service desk and asked if they sold Visa Gift Cards... (Had planned to just buy 2 $500 like someone else mentioned). She said they didn't, but sold Discover Cards. .And I could buy them and it would count towards the promotion. They only had demoninations of $20, $50, $100 for the cards and there was a $4.95 fee.. I wasn't sure if that was per card (which would be $4.95 X 10) or not. Also the lady told me the gift cards could not be used to then purchase an item and get another gift cards.

Went shopping and 'bought' a watch.. My card wouldn't scan.. Finally paid and got an email from Discover Fraud protection. They were checking in to verify my purchase. Then went and 'purchased' a jacket. Total purchases were $1020.

Went back to the customer service desk. The lady there was over 100 and had never done these before. She had a problem scanning my card so she had me fill out this form .. The thing is the form asked for my last name, and signature... At no time, did she record my Discover card # and the form did not ask for it.

Could be a loophole to do it again.

lakeforest mall according to the site is in "baltimore;" it's actually in gaithersburg, md. (closer to dc than baltimore) I'm waiting for closer to thanksgiving to buy GCs there...(ruby tuesday, red robin) and probably a bunch of stamps from a convenience store there...I hope.

Anybody tried to get 5 $20 gift cards at different mall? Thanks.

anyone try it in Woodbridge Mall in NJ?

Also the lady told me the gift cards could not be used to then purchase an item and get another gift cards.

I'll reiterate that I saw with my own eyes that Discover Gift Cards are eligible plainly printed in black and white in the kiosk guy's guidebook when he verified that my plain vanilla Discover card was eligible for the promotion.

WalStMonky said: Also the lady told me the gift cards could not be used to then purchase an item and get another gift cards.

I'll reiterate that I saw with my own eyes that Discover Gift Cards are eligible plainly printed in black and white in the kiosk guy's guidebook when he verified that my plain vanilla Discover card was eligible for the promotion.

This will be very interesting. How about use 5% Citi CashReturns card to by Discover Gift Cards online, then take the Discover Gift Cards to buy regular VISA gift cards (like some one mentioned early) and get redeemed for $20 GCs. Iterating this process, you will get a lots of $20 GCs. I guess the 5% you earn from Citi Card may be enough to cover the card fee for buying Discover GCs online and VISA GCs in local mall. This lets you transfer $$ from your Citi card to VISA GCs and get lots of $20 Discover GCs. Can this work?

I bought something in the mall and got the gift card, after that I returned the stuff to the store. Is that OK? Will Discover realise you returned the goods and charge back your gift card? Please advise. Thanks...

Well, it doesn't say anything in the T&C about giving up your return rights. Thank god, because I realized shortly after getting my gift cards how silly the impulse purchase of $1100 worth of DVD box sets was. Of course now I want a Craftsman toolbox like that other nice poster bought.

I bought few ipods from Circuit City, the total of my purchase was $1100.00. Then i went to the mall's customer service desk and showed my reciept, they gave me 5 $20.00 Discover Gift Card. The next day i returned my purchases back to Circuit City and got a refund of $1100.00 and i get to keep my 5 $20.00 gift cards.

I will try to do this again at a another mall near me.

will keep you guys posted on how the 2nd round goes.

The second round went well. I went to Fox Valley Mall in chicago suburbs. Bought 1100.00 Movado from Carson;s. Then went to the Mall's service desk, gave my reciept and they gave me 5 $20.00 Discover Gift Card. I took the watch back and returned it. This transaction was very simple just took 20 mins start to finish. $100.00 not bad for 20 mins of work.

Let me know if anyone would like any more details. There are total of 9 malls around me that Discover is running this promotion. This comming weekend i will be going to all the remaining malls and will perform the same task. My target is to reach $900.00 this season.

chooi said: I bought something in the mall and got the gift card, after that I returned the stuff to the store. Is that OK? Will Discover realise you returned the goods and charge back your gift card? Please advise. Thanks...

I would worry less about the charge back and worry more about them using you as an example and throwing you in jail for fraud....

wow with more and more people taking advantage of this deal, i can bet that fewer malls will even participate in the program next year.

cksupersonic said: I bought few ipods from Circuit City...

I've never seen a Circuit City in any malls. Do you mean that this promotion is also good w/ any stores around a mall/shopping center?

skadoo323 said: wow with more and more people taking advantage of this deal, i can bet that fewer malls will even participate in the program next year.

I would think the opposite... With more people doing it, it means more people are using their Discover card which is exactly what Discover wants

u2head8 said: cksupersonic said: I bought few ipods from Circuit City...

I've never seen a Circuit City in any malls. Do you mean that this promotion is also good w/ any stores around a mall/shopping center?

Same here re: CC.. I described my little trip already, but the customer service lady didn't look at the stores on the receipts, just the fact that I used my Discover card and the $$ amount. I suppose you could try going to another store outside of the mall and bringing your receipt to the mall and just play dumb if they notice

j123vt99 said: skadoo323 said: wow with more and more people taking advantage of this deal, i can bet that fewer malls will even participate in the program next year.

I would think the opposite... With more people doing it, it means more people are using their Discover card which is exactly what Discover wants

That is a good point, but what about those who are buying items on their card then returning them, just to get a gift card. I think the mall buys the gift cards that are handed to the customers. Then again the mall has a limited amount of these cards supposedly. I guess the whole thing is to attract consumers to shop at the mall. It benefits the mall, Discover, and FatWallet members lol.

maddybeagle said: chooi said: I bought something in the mall and got the gift card, after that I returned the stuff to the store. Is that OK? Will Discover realise you returned the goods and charge back your gift card? Please advise. Thanks...

I would worry less about the charge back and worry more about them using you as an example and throwing you in jail for fraud....

Nonsense - show us how chooi, without deception, hasn't fully complied with the stated T&C, which do not stipulate forfeiture of the bonus if one returns the purchase.

How do you use multiple Discover Gift Cards on a single purchase. Let's say I want to buy a single $100 item with five $20 gift cards. Can I just hand the cashier all the gift cards and let the cashier scan them?

depending on the cashier, they should understand how to do it... (restuarants do it a lot, i think) just tell them put $20 on each card...

To answer an earlier question, the after-tax total is all the kiosk cares about when you hand over your receipts. So a product selling on the shelf for $189 will earn you the gift card in states with average sales taxes.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014