• Text Only
So card stage 1 is over. Bought two sony handicams from Sears, got the cards, activated them, and returned the cams the same day. I'm going to try to push the cards through google checkout to get the cash quickly.

Now one to discover card 2 tommorrow at a different mall. D3 will be Thursday. Then I'll circle back and try to hit a different mall.

She did scan my card, but I noticed it was an ancient laptop with no noticeable internet link. I'm guessing its not interlinked.

If anybody was considering buying gift cards vs. returning 1000 bucks in merchandise....One appleebees that I visited recently was selling their gift cards 20% off....I was going to check the mall out where they are doing this promo. in addition to the 5% get more promo. going on for restaurants....Seems like applebees, subway, and mcdonalds are common in this mall chain...always could trade these or sell them...

"I'm going to try to push the cards through google checkout to get the cash quickly."

How does that work?

blondie6ft said: "I'm going to try to push the cards through google checkout to get the cash quickly."

How does that work?

In short, it doesn't. Google checkout apparently won't except gift cards, as I suspect might be the case for most online types.

Has anyone tried using the same card in different malls yet?

Got mine today. Funny story:

I saw a Sony camcorder on sale for $999.99, so I decided to buy it. When the salesman fetched it for me, he informed me it was even cheaper at $899.99. LOL, I had never before been disappointed to buy something for cheaper than it was. Oh well, I got an iPod Shuffle to make up for the difference.

Shucks, I'd like to take advantage of this deal, however my only discover card atm is being used for 0% for life. It would stand to reason, though, I should still have $0 finance charges if I made a purchase and returned it within the same billing cycle, correct?

Not sure I want to press my luck.

Just wanted to share that Discover's Fraud Protection email is actually really nice. I went to finally use my Discover card for a large purchase, due to this deal and the need to buy the item I needed anyways. The card got rejected, but within less than a minute I got an email on my cell phone from Discover. Pretty fast. Anyways I called Customer Service and the charge went through after Discover verified some security info. Not bad at all.

Just did my second round on my miles card. My limit is only 1000, so I made a 800 dollar purchase (two garmins), got my cards, returned the garmins, then bought an iPod and got my last card.

I fealt bad returning them to the same guy within an hour. I imagine he saw a nice commission vanish. For now on, I'm making sure to do my returns at another Sears.

I have my regular discover card left. Plus I plan to hijack my friends cards this weekend. All in all, I'll have nice 20 gifts to give to everyone for x-mas.

mshen11 said: why isnt VA on the list (potomac mills) like it was last few years?

There is only one Potomac mills and it is in Virginia. It is mistakenly listed on the site under "DC". I will be going to Potomac Mills in the next few days to see if they are advertising the promotion there again... I made out like a bandit last year and have been looking forward to another heist this holiday season. I will post my results.

skadoo323 said: Just wanted to share that Discover's Fraud Protection email is actually really nice. I went to finally use my Discover card for a large purchase, due to this deal and the need to buy the item I needed anyways. The card got rejected, but within less than a minute I got an email on my cell phone from Discover. Pretty fast. Anyways I called Customer Service and the charge went through after Discover verified some security info. Not bad at all.

Well, they certainly are making being inconvenienced convenient, aren't they? Personally, I find Discover's incessent fraud alerts and calls annoying. I use the card infrequently and have at least a dozen instances vs one or two for all of my Visa/MC/AMEX which I've been using for all purchases for over a decade now.

WalStMonky said: skadoo323 said: Just wanted to share that Discover's Fraud Protection email is actually really nice. I went to finally use my Discover card for a large purchase, due to this deal and the need to buy the item I needed anyways. The card got rejected, but within less than a minute I got an email on my cell phone from Discover. Pretty fast. Anyways I called Customer Service and the charge went through after Discover verified some security info. Not bad at all.

Well, they certainly are making being inconvenienced convenient, aren't they? Personally, I find Discover's incessent fraud alerts and calls annoying. I use the card infrequently and have at least a dozen instances vs one or two for all of my Visa/MC/AMEX which I've been using for all purchases for over a decade now.

With Discover buying gas at the pump and then buying a coke inside triggered a fraud alert. When I went to Staples and bought a laptop, I had to have Discovers fraud alert dept. clear it which they did immediately. With AMEX or Visa, MasterCard there would have been no alert.

VerbalK said: Just did my second round on my miles card. My limit is only 1000, so I made a 800 dollar purchase (two garmins), got my cards, returned the garmins, then bought an iPod and got my last card.

I fealt bad returning them to the same guy within an hour. I imagine he saw a nice commission vanish. For now on, I'm making sure to do my returns at another Sears.

I have my regular discover card left. Plus I plan to hijack my friends cards this weekend. All in all, I'll have nice 20 gifts to give to everyone for x-mas.

And the salesman didn't question why the receipt was now stamped with "Turn receipts into rewards"?

I returned my stuff at a different Sears, but it was a big hassle since the item I was trying to return was not stocked at that particular Sears. The lady there had to call a manager over to show her how to return it. I was sweating the stamp the whole time.

chuckywang said: VerbalK said: Just did my second round on my miles card. My limit is only 1000, so I made a 800 dollar purchase (two garmins), got my cards, returned the garmins, then bought an iPod and got my last card.

And the salesman didn't question why the receipt was now stamped with "Turn receipts into rewards"?

I returned my stuff at a different Sears, but it was a big hassle since the item I was trying to return was not stocked at that particular Sears. The lady there had to call a manager over to show her how to return it. I was sweating the stamp the whole time.

And if they did question (which they didn't), my response would have been "none of you g d business". They asked why I;m returning it, and I say "I don't want it".

fozzy13 said: Shucks, I'd like to take advantage of this deal, however my only discover card atm is being used for 0% for life. It would stand to reason, though, I should still have $0 finance charges if I made a purchase and returned it within the same billing cycle, correct?

Not sure I want to press my luck.

Yes, you'd hate to have a $1000+ purchase buried under a b/t @ 14% or whatever while the return credit gets applied to the b/t balance. My sense is that wouldn't happen though, especially if the return was immediate because most merchants void such transactions and never report them to the bank.

Do you mean you got 10 $20 gift card at two different malls? Thanks!

Do you mean you got 10 $20 gift cards at two different malls? Thanks

Verbalk said:

Just did my second round on my miles card. My limit is only 1000, so I made a 800 dollar purchase (two garmins), got my cards, returned the garmins, then bought an iPod and got my last card.

Do you mean you got 10 $20 gift cards at 2 different malls? Thanks!

WalStMonky said: skadoo323 said: Just wanted to share that Discover's Fraud Protection email is actually really nice. I went to finally use my Discover card for a large purchase, due to this deal and the need to buy the item I needed anyways. The card got rejected, but within less than a minute I got an email on my cell phone from Discover. Pretty fast. Anyways I called Customer Service and the charge went through after Discover verified some security info. Not bad at all.

I had my card disabled for trying to use it at a gas pump once. I used a different card then called them when I was on the road, and they said on their end it showed the gas transaction approved and pending (would drop off later). Didn't change the pump's idea that I had to "see cashier" and the cashier said the card was declined.

On the other hand, they were helpful in a recent chargeback. Mixed bag.

j123vt99 said: u2head8 said: cksupersonic said: I bought few ipods from Circuit City...

I've never seen a Circuit City in any malls. Do you mean that this promotion is also good w/ any stores around a mall/shopping center?

Same here re: CC.. I described my little trip already, but the customer service lady didn't look at the stores on the receipts, just the fact that I used my Discover card and the $$ amount. I suppose you could try going to another store outside of the mall and bringing your receipt to the mall and just play dumb if they notice

I have seen CCitys in malls, St. Louis Mills has a CC in the mall, for example

yeah, but is it a mall that is in this promo...NO...I guess "the customer service lady" isnt paid enough to care...

I already redeemed 5 $20 GC in Riverchase Galleria Mall in Birmingham, AL. My wife is an additional user on my discover card. Today we bought $230 worth merchendise and took the receipt to the CSR and they gave us another $20 GC. This is in the same mall where I got my earlier 5 $20 GC. Both of our cards have the same number, only the name differs.

After this I am not sure if the limit is only 5 $20GC per card or more.

speddi said: I already redeemed 5 $20 GC in Riverchase Galleria Mall in Birmingham, AL. My wife is an additional user on my discover card. Today we bought $230 worth merchendise and took the receipt to the CSR and they gave us another $20 GC. This is in the same mall where I got my earlier 5 $20 GC. Both of our cards have the same number, only the name differs.

Were each of the cards you and your wife used swiped?

maddybeagle said:

yeah, but is it a mall that is in this promo...NO...I guess "the customer service lady" isnt paid enough to care...

Umm, actually it is in the promo. I got my cards last year by purchasing stuff at this Circuit City.

speddi said: I already redeemed 5 $20 GC in Riverchase Galleria Mall in Birmingham, AL. My wife is an additional user on my discover card. Today we bought $230 worth merchendise and took the receipt to the CSR and they gave us another $20 GC. This is in the same mall where I got my earlier 5 $20 GC. Both of our cards have the same number, only the name differs.

When I got my 5 GC's, the guy working there took my card, but didn't swipe it or anything. He jotted down my name and even told me "If you buy $200 more worth of stuff, bring in your receipts, and you'll get another GC". So I'm not sure how stringent the 5 GC limit is.

I went to the Appleton, WI mall and spent $1000+ at Target. Went to the Service Desk - she took my reciepts and credit card. Went to the terminal at the other end of the desk, swiped each seperate $20 g/c and my Discover card. So, they do track this at my mall. She said that she needed my CC for tracking purposes since you can only redeem 5 g/c's for the promotion. The stamped reciepts say "Turn reciepts into rewards". I returned $450 to Target yesterday and am going to wait another week to return the rest. Anyone think they'll zero my g/c balances for returning the merchandise? I hope not.

Megaroni said: I went to the Appleton, WI mall and spent $1000+ at Target. Went to the Service Desk - she took my reciepts and credit card. Went to the terminal at the other end of the desk, swiped each seperate $20 g/c and my Discover card. So, they do track this at my mall. She said that she needed my CC for tracking purposes since you can only redeem 5 g/c's for the promotion. The stamped reciepts say "Turn reciepts into rewards". I returned $450 to Target yesterday and am going to wait another week to return the rest. Anyone think they'll zero my g/c balances for returning the merchandise? I hope not.

Smoke 'Em If Ya Got 'Em.

After you got the $100 gift cards in the first mall, anyone can get the additional $100 gift cards at the different malls? Thanks...

maddybeagle said:

No, it is

chooi said: After you got the $100 gift cards in the first mall, anyone can get the additional $100 gift cards at the different malls? Thanks...

Just how many times is this question going to be asked?

dudetheobscure said: chooi said: After you got the $100 gift cards in the first mall, anyone can get the additional $100 gift cards at the different malls? Thanks...

Probably incessantly until someone tries it and reports back.

2stepsbehind said: dudetheobscure said: chooi said: After you got the $100 gift cards in the first mall, anyone can get the additional $100 gift cards at the different malls? Thanks...

VerbalK already said he/she did it.

chuckywang said: 2stepsbehind said: dudetheobscure said: chooi said: After you got the $100 gift cards in the first mall, anyone can get the additional $100 gift cards at the different malls? Thanks...

Thank you.

chuckywang said: 2stepsbehind said: dudetheobscure said: chooi said: After you got the $100 gift cards in the first mall, anyone can get the additional $100 gift cards at the different malls? Thanks...

Well in fairness to the people who've asked, Verbal K was also talking about multiple cards so for someone quickly reading through the thread I can see why his followup post would seem ambiguous.

I got $200 GC so far using two of my Discover Card at one mall.

I just wonder if I go to a different Mall, whether I still get another $200 GC? Was not really clear, it said 'limit 5 GC in A location'!!

Yeah, I haven't tried the same card yet.

So far I used my biz in one mall, they scanned it into what looked to be an unnetworked laptop.

then I used my 1st personal in another mall, I think they may have wrote the card number down, no scanning.

then I used my miles in a third mall, they took it into a back room, and I couldn't see what they did.

I still have one more area mall that I can hit up, I think I will try my personal again.

$40 LINK

For those who might need some extra $40, you could go here to apply for a new Discover Card and then get $100 GC + $40 cash = $140. Not too bad!

I am here to proudly report back that I am the first to successfully use the same exact card(my name/ same acct.#) at two different malls and report it here!!!

Used first time (reported above - 11/2), and just did it a second time this morning. Both malls swiped my card in a swiper connected to a laptop and also recorded my info. on a written log. This morning my receipt was also stamped - first mall didn't. I simply cut the stamp portion of the top of my receipt before I did the return.

$200 in Discover Gift Cards richer...what-to-buy??

GordonGekko said: I am here to proudly report back that I am the first to successfully use the same exact card(my name/ same acct.#) at two different malls and report it here!!!

Used first time (reported above - 11/2), and just did it a second time this morning. Both malls swiped my card in a swiper connected to a laptop and also recorded my info. on a written log. This morning my receipt was also stamped - first mall didn't. I simply cut the stamp portion of the top of my receipt before I did the return.

Lucky you. The guy stamped my receipts right on the total charged line.

GordonGekko said: I am here to proudly report back that I am the first to successfully use the same exact card(my name/ same acct.#) at two different malls and report it here!!!

That done, would anyone care to speculate as to why neither the bank nor the malls have bothered, even after several years, to derail this gravy train?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014