• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Anyone have any trouble using the cards at all?

I tried one at Stop & Shop and FYE and neither could take it for less tha... (more)

tashayar (Jan. 07, 2008 @ 1:35a) |

I've just been using them for gas so far.

Minoritydan (Jan. 07, 2008 @ 6:48a) |

I tried one at TGIF's restauant and there was a problem. I believe it was something to do with Discover automatically ca... (more)

curtisekarr (Jan. 10, 2008 @ 9:03a) |

The Deal Valid ONLY in selected storeis:

New York
Westfield South Shore, Bay Shore
Westfield Sunrise, Massapequa
The Galleria at White Plains, New York
Staten Island Mall, Staten Island

New Jersey
Bridgewater Commons,
Westfield Garden State Plaza, Paramus
Woodbridge

and so on

Los Angeles

# Westfield Santa Anita, Arcadia
# Westfield Topanga, Canoga Park
# Westfield Fox Hills, Culver City
# Del Amo, Los Angeles (Torrance)
# Ontario Mills, Los Angeles
# Westfield Century City, Los Angeles
# Westfield MainPlace, Santa Ana
# Westfield Fashion Square, Sherman Oaks
# Westfield Valencia Town Center, Valencia
# Westfield West Covina, West Covina
# Westfield Promenade, Woodland Hills

*Get a $20 Discover Gift Card for every $200 in purchases made with your Discover Card at a participating shopping center between 11/1/2007-12/31/2007, while supplies last. Original receipts must be presented to a participating shopping center's Customer Service Desk (or the Discover Card Booth) by 12/31/07. Limit five Gift Cards per account during the promotion period. See Gift Card terms and conditions for full details.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Great find. thanks op!

But the fine prints worries me:
'Get a $20 Discover Gift Card for every $200 in purchases made with your Discover Card at a participating shopping center between 11/1/2007-12/31/2007, while supplies last. ...'

Limit 5 gift cards in the fine print. So if I make a single $1000 purchase I am entitled to five $20 gift cards?

Hmmmm... might be starting my Christmas shopping early. This is like 10% Cash Back. Very nice.

they had this last yr too

treasurebeacon said: they had this last yr too

True, and they were churned mercilessly, so I wonder if the T&C are still exactly the same.

Ain't worth it. The participating shopping centers are few and expensive. Unless you live close by, you can probably do just as well or better if you pass this one up.

The shopping center nearest me is pretty lowbrow. It's anchor tenant is Target. I haven't been into any of the other stores but the Target charges the same prices as the stand alone Targets in the vicinity.

Did anyone try this before? Do they need to take away the original receipts?

How about after we got the GC, we return the merchandise?

FairGame69 said: Did anyone try this before? Do they need to take away the original receipts?

No, the receipts weren't confiscated. The rest - figure out.

They do this every holiday season. Here are some archived threads that offer some good tips:

2006: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&threadid=667639

2005: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=18&threadid=535015

Yes, it works, just like that. I know from experience. The malls information desk does not take away your original receipt, they just stamp it so you can't come back later in the day and use the same receipt again. But the stamp does not affect your ability to return or exchange merchandise after collecting the GC. Two years ago there was no limit on the number of GCs you could claim.

Thanks for the timely post, FG69!

dudetheobscure said: FairGame69 said: Did anyone try this before? Do they need to take away the original receipts?

No, the receipts weren't confiscated. The rest - figure out.
Just in case the receipts are confiscated this year (which I doubt) you should still be golden if you just get gift receipts for everything.

I really cleaned up on this deal 2 years ago when I bought my now-wife's engagement ring, hehe. There were no limits on how many you could redeem.

Kudos to Discover for keeping this going for it's 3rd year.

Given that everyone pretty much knows that they (the malls+Discover) were thoroughly worked over in years past, it doesn't seem possible that they haven't since tightened up. It does seem that fewer malls are participating this year - perhaps that answers the question.

Last year, my mall's info desk kept a log of everyone who claimed a card, so they checked if I had five cards already before letting me redeem receipts. Once I hit $1000 redeemed, they cut me off.

Thanks OP, time to warm up for thanks giving now.

lunarscape said: Last year, my mall's info desk kept a log of everyone who claimed a card, so they checked if I had five cards already before letting me redeem receipts. Once I hit $1000 redeemed, they cut me off. Does Discover keep track in any way? If there are four participating malls in your area can you get $100 from each one?

puck71 said: lunarscape said: Last year, my mall's info desk kept a log of everyone who claimed a card, so they checked if I had five cards already before letting me redeem receipts. Once I hit $1000 redeemed, they cut me off. Does Discover keep track in any way? If there are four participating malls in your area can you get $100 from each one?The fine print says: Limit five Gift Cards per account during the promotion period.

puck71 said: lunarscape said: Last year, my mall's info desk kept a log of everyone who claimed a card, so they checked if I had five cards already before letting me redeem receipts. Once I hit $1000 redeemed, they cut me off. Does Discover keep track in any way? If there are four participating malls in your area can you get $100 from each one?

Absent a centralized tracking system, people are likely to get creative.

IW said: puck71 said: lunarscape said: Last year, my mall's info desk kept a log of everyone who claimed a card, so they checked if I had five cards already before letting me redeem receipts. Once I hit $1000 redeemed, they cut me off. Does Discover keep track in any way? If there are four participating malls in your area can you get $100 from each one?The fine print says: Limit five Gift Cards per account during the promotion period. I know, but I was just wondering if they actually have a way of keeping track (as in, are the $20 cards tied back to your account somehow).

Virginia not listed, but click on DC shows valid at Potomac Mills (Virginia), a huge outlet mall.

Thanks Virginia for not participating. I appreciate that.

Westfield Sunrise in Massapequa, NY (on Long Island) has a WalMart. Do you think I could buy $1000 in WalMart gift cards, get $100 back in Discover cards and the WalMart gift cards on eBay?

Info for those who haven't played this one before:

1. Receipts can be cumulative. (e.g. $23 for Store A + $190 for Store B)
2. Gift Cards do not get returned if you return the merchandise. The deal is with the company that runs the malls, not the individual stores.
3. Yes, you can purchase gift cards
4. When your receipt is verified for redemption, it is stamped so that you can not use it again.
5. Yes, you can use multiple Discover Card accounts.
6. Shop early these will run out by December.

Bonus - If your mall has a restaurant, eat there. 5% for the restaurant promotion + the receipt total counts towards the amount needed for the gift card redemption.

Usorry said: Bonus - If your mall has a restaurant, eat there. 5% for the restaurant promotion + the receipt total counts towards the amount needed for the gift card redemption.

And after you've eaten and gotten your gift cards, simply return the food to the restaurant and you'll pocket not only the gift cards plus the 5% on your card!

I'm not clear if redemptions have to be made in $200 increments. If I buy a $1K item and present that single receipt will they issue a single $20 card of five $20 cards? Thanks.

If I purchase something for $199.99 with TAX, bringing it over $200, does it still count?

Or does the ITEM(s) without tax have to be at least $200??

thanks.

mikeccall said: I'm not clear if redemptions have to be made in $200 increments. If I buy a $1K item and present that single receipt will they issue a single $20 card of five $20 cards? Thanks.

Yes, you will get 5 $20 gift cards for a single $1,000 purchase. I did exactly this last year.

If you buy stuff with $200 Discover Gift Card (not Discover Card), can you get $20 gift card?

If yes and you get Citi CashReturns Card for 5% reward, use it to buy 2 $500 Discover Gift Cards (with card fee $6.95 * 2) to get more $$.

tarcapone said: Westfield Sunrise in Massapequa, NY (on Long Island) has a WalMart. Do you think I could buy $1000 in WalMart gift cards, get $100 back in Discover cards and the WalMart gift cards on eBay?

that is just retarded, you must guarantee to get 90% back on your $1k gc to even the cost. and that is not including paypal/eBay fees

Awesome deal! I tried to use this last yeat but couldn't use it because it was at a crappy mall near us with crappy low end stores. Now they have Mayfair, which is where I do most of my Xmas shopping anyways. Great deal for Discover users in southeast Wisconsin!

Sweet. I can hit every mall on my way from DC to NYC and collect $100 in each!

Super deal. Good malls in San Diego. How could they track if you did $200 at one mall and then $200 at another? It;s the same chain of malls in SD?

PerkGetter said: Ain't worth it. The participating shopping centers are few and expensive. Unless you live close by, you can probably do just as well or better if you pass this one up.This appears to include "The Mills" malls (it included the few I checked for that I know where they're at), which I don't think are all that expensive at all, they typically include outlet stores. Westfield Malls are also heavily represented and those are just your typical malls, with Black Friday sales or other such deals I'm sure that many people could find this deal quite useful.

Wow, this is great. Thanks!

Just got my 5 cards. I bought 2 $500 visa gift cards. Paid 2.00 per card at the same counter I redeemed for my 5 $20 cards.

The service person had to swipe my discovercard to give me the 5 gift cards. When I asked her about the swipe she said that was to record my info for the 5 limit with discover. I am not sure if I can get another 5 cards somewhere else as it was now recorded onlien with discover.

Has anyone been able to get another 5 cards at a different location with the same discovercard "this year"?

Usorry said: Info for those who haven't played this one before:

2. Gift Cards do not get returned if you return the merchandise. The deal is with the company that runs the malls, not the individual stores.
4. When your receipt is verified for redemption, it is stamped so that you can not use it again.

Bonus - If your mall has a restaurant, eat there. 5% for the restaurant promotion + the receipt total counts towards the amount needed for the gift card redemption.

All except #6 are true.

nymgiants said: Just got my 5 cards. I bought 2 $500 visa gift cards. Paid 2.00 per card at the same counter I redeemed for my 5 $20 cards.

The service person had to swipe my discovercard to give me the 5 gift cards. When I asked her about the swipe she said that was to record my info for the 5 limit with discover. I am not sure if I can get another 5 cards somewhere else as it was now recorded onlien with discover.

Has anyone been able to get another 5 cards at a different location with the same discovercard "this year"?

Swiping your card doesn't mean they're recording anything "online." The "swiping" system they use could be local to each mall allowing one bonus/account there, and only there. OTOH, a centralized system would obviously preclude double-dipping with the same account. The only way to tell, and even that experience could still be mall-specific, would be for someone to be the guinea pig.

Usorry said: Info for those who haven't played this one before:

Thats so helpful!! In what store should I show the receipts for redemption? Is it any store in the mall? How do they recognize the offer. Should I have the printout of the offer handy? Thanks

thanksop

Skipping 225 Messages...
tashayar said: Anyone have any trouble using the cards at all?

I tried one at Stop & Shop and FYE and neither could take it for less than a $20 purchase. Tried the same one at a local grocery store and it worked there. Both of the other places DO accept discover.
I tried one at TGIF's restauant and there was a problem. I believe it was something to do with Discover automatically calculating an additional 15-20% whan a tip-type restaurant is involved. So a $20 charge was not authorized on the $20 card. I asked them to try charging $15 and it went through OK.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.