• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Northwest Federal Credit Union is offering an 18 month CD for 6.00% APY. $10K minimum.

From the membership page...

If you are an employee or member of any of the more than 400 Member Companies or one of our Chamber of Commerce Members, you are eligible to join NWFCU.

One of the member companies is the National Wildlife Federation. Join for $15 - link courtesy of mh83.

Enjoy!

UPDATE:

Looks like NWFCU wasn't happy with the flood of new members and decided to restrict NWF applicants to employees only. I say don't let that stop you. Try another organization on the list of member companies. One option is to join the International Spy Museum for $60.

LATEST UPDATE:
NWFCU has apparently decided to allow CU membership only to employees (not members) of its "membership" companies. YMMV.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
yep scott...you would definately "identify" with the bogart character in that film, which is why you should see it...and... (more)

craig10x (Nov. 22, 2007 @ 12:55p) |

Sounds like sour grapes to me Craig.

Nobody was trying to inhibit anyone else from getting in on the SECU deal. No one kn... (more)

mh83 (Nov. 28, 2007 @ 3:35a) |

Looks like the 18 month 6.00% APY CD is no longer available.

The offer no longer shows up on their website or on their CD... (more)

onedollarinmywallet (Nov. 30, 2007 @ 10:56a) |

Another membership option (no guarantees, the CU may say you have to be an employee) is to purchase a "Friend Membership" in the Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts for $50.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

joined!

It's really not clear on the National Wildlife Federation site what the minimum donation is to become a member ($30 is the lowest pre-filled option, but there is also an "other" option). I noticed that you can buy a gift membership for $15, so that may be the minimum for membership. Otherwise, you can have someone else buy your membership for $15.

I called and confirmed that just joining the NWF makes one eligible.

Also, you can fund with a credit card, but they said it was up to the card issuer as to whether it was treated as a cash advance

Thanks lhendricks!

Looks like one can join the National Wildlife Federation for $15 here.

Awesome, make money AND save the environment! Only on FWF.

evanm said: I called and confirmed that just joining the NWF makes one eligible.

Also, you can fund with a credit card, but they said it was up to the card issuer as to whether it was treated as a cash advance
You can fund with cc/debit card but only up to $1000. The minimum for this certificate is $10,000, so choose the ach option to fund. I tried with cc/debit and the application craps out when you try to change the $ amount at the end (for funding).

online application asks for term in days, so how many days is 18 months ?

goldsheet said: online application asks for term in days, so how many days is 18 months ?
18 months = 540 days

gwu1986 said: evanm said: I called and confirmed that just joining the NWF makes one eligible.

You can fund with cc/debit card but only up to $1000. The minimum for this certificate is $10,000, so choose the ach option to fund. I tried with cc/debit and the application craps out when you try to change the $ amount at the end (for funding).

Although there are 547 days in the next 18 months, the terms are for 540 days.

Note this asterisk on the bottom of their rate page: *18-Month (540-day) Promotional Certificates will automatically renew to a two-year term upon maturity at the prevailing rate, unless you notify us otherwise.

So make sure to notify them you want to cash out at maturity or you'll be locked in for another 2 years at who knows what rate.

Anyone knows what is the maximum deposit?

there doesn't appear to be a maximum.

I opened the accounts online last night and spoke with a CSR this morning.

According to the CSR, there is no maximum deposit amount. They can send you forms to add PODs.

The number to call for the POD forms or to follow up on an application is 703.709.8900 ext.70035 or
800.336.3384 ext.70035.

Arfanbarkler said: gwu1986 said: evanm said: I called and confirmed that just joining the NWF makes one eligible.

Although there are 547 days in the next 18 months, the terms are for 540 days.

Note this asterisk on the bottom of their rate page: *18-Month (540-day) Promotional Certificates will automatically renew to a two-year term upon maturity at the prevailing rate, unless you notify us otherwise.

So make sure to notify them you want to cash out at maturity or you'll be locked in for another 2 years at who knows what rate.

Agreed. But they are pretty transparent re the maturity date - provided one pays attention.

An equally large consideration is their very short grace period: It is only five (5) days!! This does not provide a lot of time. You need to be on this pronto when the CD matures.

I opened the CD at their branch yesterday. It required $5 min deposit on a saving account.
The process took about 10 min. They will inform you 1/2 month prior the maturity. I selected
an option to transfer fun to the saving account when the CD matures. After that i can do
ACH (pull) to my other bank.

Looks like YMMV on National Wildlife Membership qualifying for eligibility in the CU. I've a feeling it depends on the CSR you talk to. From Banking Guy's post about this deal, which includes that and other information:

"Update 11/10/07: National Wildlife Federation (NWF) is listed as a qualifying organization. According to this FW post membership into NWF qualifies you for credit union membership. I just spoke with a credit union service rep and he stated that only employees and volunteers of NWF qualify. At the NWF website, there is a separate registration page for volunteers that's different than the membership page. Some additional details I received from the CSR include: 1) possible hard credit pull (CSR wasn't exactly sure), and 2) special CD cannot be opened online. It can be opened by mail or by phone. If opened by phone, funds must be available in a credit union account (such as the savings account) where it can be transfered into the CD."

For further information on the 5-day grace period and other CD terms, see the Certificate Disclosure Form

glxpass said: Looks like YMMV on National Wildlife Membership qualifying for eligibility in the CU. I've a feeling it depends on the CSR you talk to. From Banking Guy's post about this deal, which includes that and other information:

"Update 11/10/07: National Wildlife Federation (NWF) is listed as a qualifying organization. According to this FW post membership into NWF qualifies you for credit union membership. I just spoke with a credit union service rep and he stated that only employees and volunteers of NWF qualify. At the NWF website, there is a separate registration page for volunteers that's different than the membership page. Some additional details I received from the CSR include: 1) possible hard credit pull (CSR wasn't exactly sure), and 2) special CD cannot be opened online. It can be opened by mail or by phone. If opened by phone, funds must be available in a credit union account (such as the savings account) where it can be transfered into the CD."

For further information on the 5-day grace period and other CD terms, see the Certificate Disclosure Form

Can you provide a link to Banking Guy's post? I can't find it in this topic. Apparently mh83 was able to open the promotional CD online. Don't know how mh83 joined, though.

mh83 said: I opened the accounts online last night and spoke with a CSR this morning.

According to the CSR, there is no maximum deposit amount. They can send you forms to add PODs.

The number to call for the POD forms or to follow up on an application is 703.709.8900 ext.70035 or
800.336.3384 ext.70035.

Did you join the credit union for this CD? If so, did you use the National Wildlife Federation approach?

Link for u

Onenote said: glxpass said: Looks like YMMV on National Wildlife Membership qualifying for eligibility in the CU. I've a feeling it depends on the CSR you talk to. From Banking Guy's post about this deal, which includes that and other information:

Can you provide a link to Banking Guy's post, I can't find it on this topic.

ENTbb said: Link for u

Thanks. It will be interesting to learn more about how mh83 was able to apply online.

Onenote said: ENTbb said: Link for u

Thanks. It will be interesting to learn more about how mh83 was able to apply online.

I agree. Also would like to learn how he/she qualified for entry into NWFCU (NWF membership or whatever).

Hope he/she posts.

Tata Consultancy Services

Even offshore companies are eligible for membership . Looks like this CU has a global view of things

Does anyone know if they do a hard pull while joining the CU?

mnsweeps said: Does anyone know if they do a hard pull while joining the CU?

Yes, they did on me.

If you are currently employed by one of these companies, you're invited to join NWFCU today!

If your company belongs to either the Greater Reston Chamber of Commerce, Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce, the Vienna-Tysons Regional Chamber of Commerce, or the Northern Virginia Technology Council (NVTC), you are eligible to join Northwest Federal Credit Union.

This seems to imply that it's for employees of the enrolled companies, or for members of the chambers of commerce listed above. OTOH, Northern Virginia Radio Control Club, Inc. is one of the companies, and I would be surprised if they have any employees.

It looks like indeed NWF membership is sufficient for joining the CU. Here's a relevant comment from The Bank Deals NWFCU Post and Comments. The "Agreed" sentence is referring to a previous poster's experience that the memberhip was sufficient. "They" refers to NWFCU.

"Agreed. But apparently they were having trouble disseminating that information. I know there was a meeting Friday afternoon the subject of which was this very issue. When I called on Wednesday, the rep who took my call fortunately did not know if NWF membership was enough to qualify. She sought an answer from a supervisor. It was "yes". That's how I was able to get gain entry. I'm sure it's a good CU. But as Banking Guy pointed out, it is large. There are MANY reps and they work different hours. Thus, distribution of information amongst the reps is apparently not easy for them."

mnsweeps said: Tata Consultancy Services

Even offshore companies are eligible for membership . Looks like this CU has a global view of things

Given that TCS has a few thousand US employees, I would hardly call them offshore.

bozo007 said: mnsweeps said: Tata Consultancy Services

Given that TCS has a few thousand US employees, I would hardly call them offshore.

Agree. But they started marketing themself as offshore company in early 90s though they have a US based office since early 70s.

so has anyone successfully signed up and funded a CD?

How much do you guys recommend putting in a CD of the money that is currentely sitting in a high interest savings account? What point is the CD FDIC insured?

bedrocked said: so has anyone successfully signed up and funded a CD?

Looks like the only people who have opened one did so by calling.

I just called and the CU and call center are closed today (11/12/07).

Onenote said: bedrocked said: so has anyone successfully signed up and funded a CD?

Looks like the only people who have opened one did so by calling.

I just called and the CU and call center are closed today (11/12/07).
Opened and funded by ach online 11/7/2007. Funds pulled from sbot 11/9/2007. (FWIW I qualified as retiree of eligible member company, not contributor to NWF.) Their Herndon Virginia location is just down the street from me.

calisoldier83 said: How much do you guys recommend putting in a CD of the money that is currentely sitting in a high interest savings account? What point is the CD FDIC insured?

It's a tough question because the correct answer depends to such a great extent on your personal circumstances, which we do not know.

This CD has a term short enough to be fairly safe from incipient inflation. You should leave enough in your savings for current needs and for needs you can foresee in the next 540 days. This is the best CD out there right now, from the standpoint of return and term, so you should jump on it if you believe a CD is right for you, i.e., if you have money you can lock up for 540 days. Be careful and thoughtful, though. If you have to break this CD you will be charged up to six months' interest, as a penalty for early withdrawal.

This CD, because it is with a credit union, is insured by the NCUA and not the FDIC. Still, the insurance has the backing of the federal government, as is the case with the FDIC. If you go in alone you will have insurance up to $100,000.00.

I hope this is helpful, at least a little bit. Good luck to you and thank you.

bedrocked said: so has anyone successfully signed up and funded a CD?

Opened and funded by checks on 11/09 at the branch office.

I only filled out my current address and signed on the mem app.
The CSR made a copy of my company ID bag and driver license.
I told him how much i want to put in the CD and gave him the
checks. He typed everything in the computer and printed out for
me the copies. Done.

Membership in the National Wildlife Federation DID meet the membership requirements for the credit union. I was able to open a share account as well as open the 18 month certificate over the phone this morning and Funded both via an ACH.

Furthermore, if you are an employee or retiree of (almost) any federal agency ( Treasury Dept, FBI, Secret Service, US Department of Defense etc) you're eligible.

If I had known that I'd have saved $15 & not joined the NWF, but what the heck, I like animals anyway.

Their new accounts rep was very friendly & helpful, so I'm well satisfied with them so far!

To answer the questions posed to me on this thread:

- Yes, I applied for membership to NWFCU and the promo CD completely online last Friday night.
- I listed membership in the National Wildlife Federation for qualification to the CU - screenshot. (click on the image to enlarge).
- I funded both accounts by ACH.
- I called NWFCU Saturday morning and was told my accounts were opened but I would not have online access until after the holiday – screenshot.

I applied for the accounts based solely on the information given on NWFCU’s website. According to the website, and pointed out by OP, “If you are an employee or member of any of the more than 400 Member Companies… you are eligible to join NWFCU”. Since the National Wildlife Federation did not have a ‘staff only’ designation next to it like some of the other Member Companies, I assumed membership in NWF alone would meet the criteria for eligibility to the credit union. I did call NWFCU the following morning and the CSR confirmed that that indeed was the case.

I didn’t risk opening the CD for more than 100K because at the time of my application, I didn’t know if there was a maximum deposit limit. I found out the next morning that there were no limits but the CSR indicated that since my account was already opened, I couldn’t add any additional amounts to it. I then inquired about opening a POD account to maximize NCUA coverage. She wasn't sure how to do this so I didn’t pursue the matter with her. She did offer to send me the POD forms. I've subsequently learned that the forms can also be downloaded from the website.

This CD is obviously a fantastic deal given the current rate environment. Thanks again lhendricks92 for posting and calling attention to the promo!

Thanks mh83 for that detailed report.

If you wanted to deposit more money, couldn't you open up a second CD? Or was that not allowed?

Thanks to mh83 for letting us know the application went smoothly,
and for posting the screenshots. I went ahead and opened a CD.
Thank to lhendricks92 for posting this deal.

Excellent Post, questions from a newbie:

What's a POD account? I have more than 100K to out into an account, how would you recommend I deposit this?

Thanks!

mh83 said: To answer the questions posed to me on this thread:

- Yes, I applied for membership to NWFCU and the promo CD completely online last Friday night.
- I listed membership in the National Wildlife Federation for qualification to the CU - screenshot. (click on the image to enlarge).
- I funded both accounts by ACH.
- I called NWFCU Saturday morning and was told my accounts were opened but I would not have online access until after the holiday – screenshot.

I applied for the accounts based solely on the information given on NWFCU’s website. According to the website, and pointed out by OP, “If you are an employee or member of any of the more than 400 Member Companies… you are eligible to join NWFCU”. Since the National Wildlife Federation did not have a ‘staff only’ designation next to it like some of the other Member Companies, I assumed membership in NWF alone would meet the criteria for eligibility to the credit union. I did call NWFCU the following morning and the CSR confirmed that that indeed was the case.

I didn’t risk opening the CD for more than 100K because at the time of my application, I didn’t know if there was a maximum deposit limit. I found out the next morning that there were no limits but the CSR indicated that since my account was already opened, I couldn’t add any additional amounts to it. I then inquired about opening a POD account to maximize NCUA coverage. She wasn't sure how to do this so I didn’t pursue the matter with her. She did offer to send me the POD forms. I've subsequently learned that the forms can also be downloaded from the website.

This CD is obviously a fantastic deal given the current rate environment. Thanks again lhendricks92 for posting and calling attention to the promo!

Skipping 56 Messages...
Looks like the 18 month 6.00% APY CD is no longer available.

The offer no longer shows up on their website or on their CD rates page.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.