• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
First attempt at the flexible spending account didn't go so well. I still have 45 days to spend about $800 in health care related items. Any suggestions or ideas on what to do with this money?

Anyone else in this situation?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Why by the end of the month? I thought FSA's were annual?

breaux124 (Jun. 13, 2008 @ 1:20p) |

They are, but don't have to be calendar year. Until I started at my current employer, I didn't realize that. It's a good... (more)

cclyde (Jun. 13, 2008 @ 1:58p) |

DH is leaving his job at the end of the month. There are options for continuing the FSA through the end of the year, but... (more)

fredEcat (Jun. 14, 2008 @ 9:58a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I am.

Considering some prescription Oakleys or something.

Would love to hear any ideas!

30 x these

2 x these

Should make '08 one hell of a year.

In all reality - get new glasses or Rx sunglasses, contact lens solution, refill Rx medications, stock up on OTC medications, condoms, go see the dentist, etc.

HBSRA10 said: First attempt at the flexible spending account didn't go so well. I still have 45 days to spend about $800 in health care related items. Any suggestions or ideas on what to do with this money?

You reminded me that i have a huge balance sitting in our FSA for Dependant care. My girl goes to preschool part time and i can submit those receipts. But 3 days of week she goes to home daycare where we dont get receipts. This created huge balance in my FSA.

Any idea how i can get my money back?

You reminded me that i have a huge balance sitting in our FSA for Dependant care. My girl goes to preschool part time and i can submit those receipts. But 3 days of week she goes to home daycare where we dont get receipts. This created huge balance in my FSA.

type out a receipt using word and generic letterhead.

I did this works like a charm and it's not a violation of fax law since I actually did pay it!

That smells like fraud!

WhiteGuy said: You reminded me that i have a huge balance sitting in our FSA for Dependant care. My girl goes to preschool part time and i can submit those receipts. But 3 days of week she goes to home daycare where we dont get receipts. This created huge balance in my FSA.

I did this works like a charm and it's not a violation of fax law since I actually did pay it!
As long as you issue a 1099 for the payments and make it clear to your company that you are paying an individual directly, I think this is okay. But, if you are not issuing a 1099, it is definitely not kosher.

HBSRA10 said: First attempt at the flexible spending account didn't go so well. I still have 45 days to spend about $800 in health care related items. Any suggestions or ideas on what to do with this money?

I thought you had until April 15th to use your FSA account?

I think it has to be paid to a certified daycare provider in order to qualify.

tazzy531 said: HBSRA10 said: First attempt at the flexible spending account didn't go so well. I still have 45 days to spend about $800 in health care related items. Any suggestions or ideas on what to do with this money?

I thought you had until April 15th to use your FSA account?

No. You have to make the purchase before Dec 31st. You have until March 15th to send your reimbursement claims, though.

How about massage therapy? Didn't you hurt your back raking leaves? Pay in advance for multiple sessions.

yeah - realized that one of the massage places around here specifically states that they "give medical reciepts for massages". upon further inquiry, tehy said that though anyoen can come in and get a massage, if you have a doctor's note/Rx that says you "need" a massage, it's essentially guaranteed that FSA will accept it.

very cool

I am on my mom's health plan and she had some funds built up in FSA so I had my doc write me a 1 month and a 3 month script for my medicine last time I saw him. If you our anyone on the plan is on meds this should work.

We once used our FSA for a breast pump - had doctor's prescription. Sorry guys, no pictures.

We drained ours with prescription Oakleys (which are great), the family all going to the dentist, medical kits for each vehicle, our home, the babysitters home, grandmas home, anybody else's home that our children may visit. Also, you can buy the med kits (they contain baby tylenol, saline drops, diaper rash cream, etc.--stuff new moms don't think about) in the baby section to give as shower gifts. If you have kids, stock up on pedialite (sp. ??) and their specialty meds. Blood pressure monitors, glucose monitors, ice packs and heating pads also qualify. Go to Drugstore.com for 7% Cash Back as well as a special FSA section. They also have a 3% or something like that future off program to keep you coming back.

Finally, make sure you wait as late in the year as you can. We order our glasses on 12/30 or there abouts and schedule our dentist appointments between Christmas and New Year.

I'm not sure how your FSA is funded, but see if you can get an HSA next year . . . the funds carry-over year to year.

HBSRA10 said: tazzy531 said: I thought you had until April 15th to use your FSA account?
No. You have to make the purchase before Dec 31st. You have until March 15th to send your reimbursement claims, though.

This depends on your plan. Under the old rules, the purchase deadline was EOY and the reimbursement was end of March I think. Congress changed to rules to allow but not require FSA plans to let charges until March be applied to the previous year's balance. more details here. Note this extension only applies to FSA plans, not Dependent Care plans, and requires your plan to have approved the extension policy.

You might want to search for "FSA" in the archived threads. Here are a couple of examples:

Flexible Spending Accounts (Health Care, Medical, FSA, HCSA): Strategies and FAQ

Health Care FSA Grace Period for 2007?

xerty said: HBSRA10 said: tazzy531 said: I thought you had until April 15th to use your FSA account?

This depends on your plan. Under the old rules, the purchase deadline was EOY and the reimbursement was end of March I think. Congress changed to rules to allow but not require FSA plans to let charges until March be applied to the previous year's balance. more details here. Note this extension only applies to FSA plans, not Dependent Care plans, and requires your plan to have approved the extension policy.
Yup, it depends on the company. Mine they kept the cut-off at 12/31. As far I recall from using an FSA, I've always had until March 15th-ish to submit receipts.

theman2 said: WhiteGuy said: You reminded me that i have a huge balance sitting in our FSA for Dependant care. My girl goes to preschool part time and i can submit those receipts. But 3 days of week she goes to home daycare where we dont get receipts. This created huge balance in my FSA.

As long as you issue a 1099 for the payments and make it clear to your company that you are paying an individual directly, I think this is okay. But, if you are not issuing a 1099, it is definitely not kosher.

This doesn't seem right. When does help becomes employment? Am I supposed to issue 1099s to my gardeners and cleaning lady?

roughly how much are the prescription oakleys? I guess the frames would be about the same as nonprescription? What about the lenses?

I bought 10 boxes of niccorette gun at Costco, faxed in reimbusement form, received approval in about a week...

Took all of the gum back to store. Check showed up 2 weeks later

lonestarguy said: We once used our FSA for a breast pump - had doctor's prescription. Sorry guys, no pictures.

That's OK - I've seen a breast pump before....

tigerspur said: I bought 10 boxes of niccorette gun at Costco, faxed in reimbusement form, received approval in about a week...

How much was all that? Because I get 10% for turning you in for fraud.....

Check to see if Lasik surgery is covered, and have an eye done.
See if they will cover you for buying a defibrillator, then buy one.
Get a prescription dive mask.

FAR rebate eligible stuff from walgreens, cvs, etc....check out the hot deals section...glasses...I was also going to look at foot arch supports....something that I had been putting off....

I am planning to get my wisdom tooth (4 = ~$450 after Insurance.) So I thought of paying the dentist from my pocket and send the bill to my insurance. This way I will jack it up to $900+ (depending upon coverage).

Technologist said: tigerspur said: I bought 10 boxes of niccorette gunat Costco, faxed in reimbusement form, received approval in about a week...

How much was all that? Because I get 10% for turning you in for fraud.....

They sell "gun" @ costco?

I stock up on bandaids, contacts, asprin, cold medicine, allergy medication, and any prescription medication that you're taking. Also, try to see if you have receipts of any of that stuff that you didn't submit.

What if your FSA is on a debit card? Can you use it on aynthing?

Porsche576 said: What if your FSA is on a debit card? Can you use it on aynthing?

Last year, I made am advance deposit at the dentist for a cosmetic procedure that was actually carried out this year.

This year, plan on making an advance deposit with the optometrist for glasses to be purchased next year.

In my case, both will happily hold any balance until used. I get to squeeze every penny out of the FSA, and they get some interest...

You should also be able to claim mileage to and from medical service providers and pharmacies - 20 cents per mile for 2007.

sechs said: Last year, I made am advance deposit at the dentist for a cosmetic procedure that was actually carried out this year.

This year, plan on making an advance deposit with the optometrist for glasses to be purchased next year.

In my case, both will happily hold any balance until used. I get to squeeze every penny out of the FSA, and they get some interest...

Just be careful as I doubt this is kosher. The rules usually indicate that the service must be performed in that year. However, do see links above as your plan may allow purchases up to Apr 15 of 2008 (depends on your plan).

The lowest risk fraud IMO is to buy and return items, and submit copies of receipts.
Google FSA eligible purchases for a list of things to consider.

EricGo07 said: The lowest risk fraud IMO is to buy and return items, and submit copies of receipts.

good idea.. till they audit when the IRS might want to see original receipts...then what?

prastogi said: EricGo07 said: The lowest risk fraud IMO is to buy and return items, and submit copies of receipts.

good idea.. till they audit when the IRS might want to see original receipts...then what?

Many places give you back the original receipt - whether or not you return the item.

Disagree though with EricGo - the lowest risk fraud is cash receipts picked up off the ground. Edit: note for cleanest looking receipts look in planters around the door - or around the registers.

would electric toothbrushes work if the dentist prescribed it?

or I think someone awhile ago posted here or on another blog - buy the dental whitening strips or kits and sell on eBay?

Our FSA plan year runs from 9/1 to 8/31 and we have 90 days to submit claims for service provided during the plan year. What in the world makes you guys think the plan year dates are set by Congress?

Skipping 81 Messages...
breaux124 said: fredEcat said:
I just found this in my FSA plan description...
"(The purpose of the FSA is) to cover eligible health care expenses not reimbursed by any medical, dental or vision care plans you or your dependents may have."

So it seems the plan to pay out of pocket and then submit to both the dental insurance and the FSA won't work for me. I have to drain my account by the end of the month, so I can't risk it being denied.

Off to Drugstore.com I go!

Why by the end of the month? I thought FSA's were annual?

DH is leaving his job at the end of the month. There are options for continuing the FSA through the end of the year, but the best deal by far is to spend it all before he leaves.

I wonder if tongue depressors count. Think of all the cool things you could build.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014