• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
shahhere said:   Guys,

Feedback on the following guys that are offering 3% APY:

moneyonefcu
https://www.moneyonefcu.org/personal/checking/kasasa-cash.html

• 3.01% APY* on balances up to $10,000
  • 3.01% to 0.74% APY on balances over $10,000, depending on balance in account*
  • 0.01% APY* if qualifications are not met
  • Nationwide ATM fee refunds*
  • No monthly service fee
  • No minimum balance to earn rewards
  • Free online banking and bill pay 
  • Free eStatements 
  • Free Visa® debit card 
  • Overdraft protection available
  • $50 minimum deposit to open (no minimum thereafter)

QualificationsIf you're looking for "the catch," you're going to love this. Qualifying is so easy, you're probably already doing it. Just do the following each monthly qualification cycle:

• Have at least 10 debit card purchases post and settle
  • Have at least 1 direct deposit or automatic ACH payment post and settle
  • Be enrolled and log into online banking at least once
  • Be enrolled and receive free eStatement notice

Shahhere

This should be in the Reward Checking Accounts thread - http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/775437/

rated:
alienjedi said:   Does anyone know what the Capital One Essential Savings rate drops to after the first 6 months?
bankaround.com is saying between 0.1% and 0.25% depending on balance.  I have had luck negotiating a higher rate with their High Yield Checking by going to a branch; not sure if I'll have the same result when my Essential Savings promo rate expires in May.

rated:

moneyonefcu

• No monthly service fee
  • Free eStatements 
  • Free Visa® debit card 

QualificationsIf you're looking for "the catch," you're going to love this. Qualifying is so easy, you're probably already doing it. Just do the following each monthly qualification cycle:

Shahhere

I think they will only accept your application if you are in the DC area. I'm a member because I signed up using the non-profit donation option, but I was living in the DC area.

Also, their website sucks and never works with Mint.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   

moneyonefcu

• No monthly service fee
  • Free eStatements 
  • Free Visa® debit card 

Shahhere

I think they will only accept your application if you are in the DC area. I'm a member because I signed up using the non-profit donation option, but I was living in the DC area.

Also, their website sucks and never works with Mint.

do you remember by chance if there was a hard pull?

rated:
Incredible Bank now has a savings account which is paying 1.07% up to $250k which it then drops to .31%.

Rate as of December 26, 2014
Rate is variable, and is subject to change at any time without prior notice
$2,500 minimum deposit to open an account
Personal accounts only (business accounts not available)
Initial funding must be automated clearing house (ACH) transaction
Free online, mobile and text banking
Direct deposit available
No paper or electronic checks available on this account
No Check Cards available on this account
Bank-to-Bank transfer capabilities available after 60 days of account opening, per customer request.
To withdraw funds, you can transfer funds to your Incredible Checking Account and use your check card to withdraw funds, or issue a Bill Pay check to be mailed.
An excess item service charge of $10.00 will be charged for each debit over six (6) during any month of the following types: withdrawals or transfers to another account of yours or to a third party by means of a preauthorized or automatic transfer, or telephone order or instruction, computer transfer, or similar order to a third party.
A maintenance fee of $15.00 will be imposed every statement cycle if the balance in the account falls below $2,500.00 any day of the statement cycle. The maintenance fee will be waived if the average collected balance of your total deposit accounts is $5,000.00 or more during the statement cycle.
A $15.00 paper statement fee will apply if the account is not enrolled in e-statements through Online Banking.(See schedule of fee for more information)

rated:
innocentbastard said:   Incredible Bank now has a savings account which is paying 1.07% up to $250k which it then drops to .31%.

Grr!  This is exactly the same as their existing MMA, which still pays 0.95%, and they refuse to convert an existing account.  Of course they didn't even notify existing customers of the new account type/rate.

rated:
discovercard bank is .90%

is cap one's 1.25% for 6 months worth the hassle?

rated:

Regarding: discovercard bank is .90% is cap one's 1.25% for 6 months worth the hassle?

It really depends on the amount you are going to deposit.  Think of it as 29 cents a month for every $1,000.  So $10,000 would be $2.92 a month and $100,000 be for $29.17.  For me its not worth the trouble unless you have a larger amount of money to deposit.  

rated:
Minoritydan said:   I guess my point is, all of my Cash is in the Smart Savings, there is no other 10k reserve. 
  open a Discover/Ally/some bank that doesn't do teaser rates and ACH $12k over.
a week later, move $10k back to Capital One and open their 1.25% Essential Savings

rated:
American Express HYS  is 0.90% APY since 01/15/2015. The summary table should be updated. It seems that some movement develops in th emarket with slowly increasing rates. So the sequence of rows in the table should be updated frequently.

rated:
quizzer25 said:   
turtlebug said:   https://gecapitalbank.com/en.html has an online savings account which has a competitive rate of 0.90% APY for all balances (from $1 to $1 million) as of 6/21/13. There is no monthly service fee. They also have a decent ACH external transfer service. Here’s a summary of its features: micro/trial deposits used in the link setup process per CSR; outgoing transfer limit of $125,000 per online transaction per FAQ; and allows up to 4 linked accounts per CSR.

Updated QS.

** note this is not GE Capital Retail Bank, it's a different bank **

Do you have an account with GE Capital Bank?

If yes, I have a few questions:

Soft or Hard credit pull during account opening?
How easy is to call and get more than $125K/day limit out in case of emergency?
Any issues/concerns?

Thanks

Don't know on the credit pull, seems very easy to pull money out but will get denied if amount is greater than available balance which is only visible when attempting to transfer out of the account from the GE website. Check the avail bal, then pull from the other bank. No complaints from me!

rated:
9000 said:   
Medikit said:   Ally Bank up to 0.95%.
  Does Ally have a good history of always being almost competitive?  Or have there been any times when their interest rates were drastically uncompetitive?  I want a bank that will always try to be near the top, even if not at the top.

There is no bank account that will stay at the top, banks make sure of that. Take Dollar Savings from Emigrant for example, does that account have the 1.05% rate today? No, you have to get the My Savings Direct account....so if you truly want the top bank accounts get used to opening and closing bank accounts and especially within the same bank (Capital One is notorious for this as well). Each bank will have their 5 minutes in the sun and drop down to average once they have the capital they are looking for...  

rated:
Barclays has an interesting option now called Dream Savings Account.
Same no min, no fees, etc of their standard 1.0% savings account however more earning potential:

1.05%

Dreams are nice – but turning them into reality is even better. And with Barclays Dream Account, you can. The Dream Account is a savings account that has all the award-winning benefits of our Online Savings Account – including an Annual Percentage Yield (APY) that’s currently 10X more than the national average, no hidden fees and no minimum balance to open. So what makes the Dream Account different? It’s specifically designed to reward you for smart savings choices, like making consecutive monthly deposits and not withdrawing funds for a period of time. So dream big, save up – and reap the rewards.
Here's how it works:

Deposit up to a maximum of $1,000 of savings each month into your account.
Every time you make consecutive deposits for six months, we’ll give you a 2.5% bonus on the total interest you earned over that time.
Make no withdrawals for six consecutive months and earn another 2.5% bonus on the past six months of interest earned.
Smart savings decisions can earn you one or both bonuses, getting you closer to your dream.

https://www.banking.barclaysus.com/online-savings.html

rated:
Chuck101 said:   Barclays has an interesting option now called Dream Savings Account.
Same no min, no fees, etc of their standard 1.0% savings account however more earning potential:

1.05%

Dreams are nice – but turning them into reality is even better. And with Barclays Dream Account, you can. The Dream Account is a savings account that has all the award-winning benefits of our Online Savings Account – including an Annual Percentage Yield (APY) that’s currently 10X more than the national average, no hidden fees and no minimum balance to open. So what makes the Dream Account different? It’s specifically designed to reward you for smart savings choices, like making consecutive monthly deposits and not withdrawing funds for a period of time. So dream big, save up – and reap the rewards.
Here's how it works:

Every time you make consecutive deposits for six months, we’ll give you a 2.5% bonus on the total interest you earned over that time.
Make no withdrawals for six consecutive months and earn another 2.5% bonus on the past six months of interest earned.
Smart savings decisions can earn you one or both bonuses, getting you closer to your dream.

If I'm calculating the interest correctly, it will pay 1.1025% APY in six months -- assuming no interest rate changes, and qualifying monthly deposits.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
Chuck101 said:   Barclays has an interesting option now called Dream Savings Account.

1.05%

Here's how it works:

If I'm calculating the interest correctly, it will pay 1.1025% APY in six months -- assuming no interest rate changes, and qualifying monthly deposits.

I get the same number, but that would be assuming you only keep the account at what you start with. It appears the max you can fund the account with at start up is $1000 as well. So making the following assumptions; 1) Opening with max of $1k, 2) Funding $1k per month at the start of each month beginning on the 2nd month, 3) 1.05% APY = 1.044% APR, 4) No withdrawals and max deposit each month:
Balance Deposit Interest Bonus
$1,000.00 $0.00 $0.87 $0.00
$1,000.87 $1,000.00 $0.87 $0.00
$2,001.74 $1,000.00 $1.74 $0.00
$3,003.49 $1,000.00 $2.62 $0.00
$4,006.10 $1,000.00 $3.49 $0.00
$5,009.59 $1,000.00 $4.36 $0.70
$6,014.65 $1,000.00 $5.24 $0.00
$7,019.89 $1,000.00 $6.11 $0.00
$8,026.00 $1,000.00 $6.99 $0.00
$9,032.99 $1,000.00 $7.87 $0.00
$10,040.86 $1,000.00 $8.74 $0.00
$11,049.60 $0.00 $9.62 $2.23
$11,061.45      

You would earn a whopping $61.45 at the end of a year. I would be all over this if you can fund it with more then $1k, but otherwise it is going to take a few years to get any decent savings going, at which point you would be better off just opening a CD since you wouldn't want to make withdrawals to get the bonus.

rated:
alienjedi said:   
stanolshefski said:   

1.05%

Here's how it works:

I get the same number, but that would be assuming you only keep the account at what you start with. It appears the max you can fund the account with at start up is $1000 as well. So making the following assumptions; 1) Opening with max of $1k, 2) Funding $1k per month at the start of each month beginning on the 2nd month, 3) 1.05% APY = 1.044% APR, 4) No withdrawals and max deposit each month:

Balance Deposit Interest Bonus
$1,000.00 $0.00 $0.87 $0.00
$1,000.87 $1,000.00 $0.87 $0.00
$2,001.74 $1,000.00 $1.74 $0.00
$3,003.49 $1,000.00 $2.62 $0.00
$4,006.10 $1,000.00 $3.49 $0.00
$5,009.59 $1,000.00 $4.36 $0.70
$6,014.65 $1,000.00 $5.24 $0.00
$7,019.89 $1,000.00 $6.11 $0.00
$8,026.00 $1,000.00 $6.99 $0.00
$9,032.99 $1,000.00 $7.87 $0.00
$10,040.86 $1,000.00 $8.74 $0.00
$11,049.60 $0.00 $9.62 $2.23
$11,061.45      

You would earn a whopping $61.45 at the end of a year. I would be all over this if you can fund it with more then $1k, but otherwise it is going to take a few years to get any decent savings going, at which point you would be better off just opening a CD since you wouldn't want to make withdrawals to get the bonus.

For many of us, our liquid funds only get withdrawn because of interest rates. If you make any withdraws, the APY drops to 1.07625%. Still decent.

rated:
Incidentally, I had a question about the bonus interest on the Barclay Dream Account. 
per the T&Cs: "Bonuses. A bonus of 2.5% will be applied to interest accrued and paid in the previous six (6) months, if six (6) consecutive monthly deposits are made to the account in the amount of $1000 or less. A bonus of of2.5% will be applied to interest accrued and paid in the previous six (6) months, if there are no withdrawals from the account in any of the previous six (6) months. Bonuses will be paid to the account at the end of the month in which the applicable conditions have been met."

If this a running six-months? Does this mean that every month, it evaluates if the previous six months had 6 consecutive monthly deposits under $1k? And similarly, it checks every month that the previous 6 months had no withdrawals? So the bonus interest is paid every month that the previous 6 months have met the conditions? So the effective interest rate approaches 1.4% over the long term? Has anyone had this account over 6 months having met the conditions?

rated:
doglar said:   Incidentally, I had a question about the bonus interest on the Barclay Dream Account. 
per the T&Cs: "Bonuses. A bonus of 2.5% will be applied to interest accrued and paid in the previous six (6) months, if six (6) consecutive monthly deposits are made to the account in the amount of $1000 or less. A bonus of of2.5% will be applied to interest accrued and paid in the previous six (6) months, if there are no withdrawals from the account in any of the previous six (6) months. Bonuses will be paid to the account at the end of the month in which the applicable conditions have been met."

If this a running six-months? Does this mean that every month, it evaluates if the previous six months had 6 consecutive monthly deposits under $1k? And similarly, it checks every month that the previous 6 months had no withdrawals? So the bonus interest is paid every month that the previous 6 months have met the conditions? So the effective interest rate approaches 1.4% over the long term? Has anyone had this account over 6 months having met the conditions?

I read it as rolling 6 month periods.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
doglar said:   Incidentally, I had a question about the bonus interest on the Barclay Dream Account. 

It is not a rolling bonus.  You get the bonus payment(s) every 6 months, that covers the previous 6 month period.

rated:
jtdeals said:   
stanolshefski said:   

It is not a rolling bonus.  You get the bonus payment(s) every 6 months, that covers the previous 6 month period.

I called and checked with a rep, they confirmed it is not a rolling bonus, so your best case scenario is how I showed it in the table above.

rated:
Santander bank B&M (formerly Sovereign Bank): .90% money market
https://www.santanderbank.com/us/personal/banking/money-market-s...

rated:
yurgreat said:   Santander bank B&M (formerly Sovereign Bank): .90% money market
https://www.santanderbank.com/us/personal/banking/money-market-savings/money-market-savings-account

My experience is that the .90% is a 90 day teaser rate before a drop to .70%

rated:
Alliant up to .90%

rated:
Amboy Direct gives 1.27% for 40K to 250K - Money Market Max More Account - Enjoy

rated:
kingdude said:   Amboy Direct gives 1.27% for 40K to 250K - Money Market Max More Account - Enjoy
  It says here: http://www.amboydirect.com/home/personal/maxplus/overview  NJ residents only.

rated:
I have posted here on FWF regarding the best liquid account available today.  Here is a link to that post:

Best liquid account as of 2/18/2015 

rated:
Opened capital one essential savings for 1.25% for 6 months promotion. Had to go to branch and then come back again to sign an additional document that was left in the printer and forgot to have me sign. Also she asked me how much I wanted to deposit I tell her an amount and she's like you need 250 min to deposit when it clearly says five dollar min on the website and even documents I received. Wound up getting the accoint open with the lower minimum.

1.25% seems like the best bank savings deal right now.

rated:
As bluechalk pointed out in the main thread, UFB fell to 1.1% today.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1104105106107 108
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015