• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have my citi with thankyou points registered with paypal. I want to buy a laptop from HPShopping which gives 20% CashBack on paypal purchases. I have a doubt though, 'Will I be getting citi thankyou reward points on this purchase as it is being processed through paypal?'.

thanks in advance

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I always get credit card CashBack for the card I have registered with Paypal.

On a side note, I love how Paypal cannot default to using a credit card, and then when you try to change to a credit card for your purchase, Paypal gives you a message that basically entails that paying with checking/debit cards are safer because you have Paypal's guarantee! Thanks Paypal, If I have any fraud issues I'll take it up with my multinational billion dollar credit card company instead.

Which citi card gives 20% Cash Back using paypal on HPShopping? I just bought a laptop but will cancel the order if I can score more than the 1.5% Cash Back.

NM I found the deal by googling it... Bad that it is limited to $50.00. So really on anything over $500.00 it is max of 10%. I ordered my laptop last night and today it went up by $20.00

Figure $609 last night
5% fatwallet cash $30
now $630 and I doubt I would get fatwallet cash using this promo so my net is 0.

Good find though for any purchase of about $250.00 and it doesn't look like gift cards are excluded

They should have put a higher limit than $50. Anyway someone please answer my question. Will paypal purchases using my citicard give me thankyou points?

regarding the price increase in the laptop, I have the same thing happening here. My config is up by $15. Cant figure out where I went wrong. Should have bought it last night. I was waiting for the stupid citi reward points.

Hmm this also brings up the follow-up question. Most of the platinum credit cards double your manufacturer warranty. So if you buy via paypal would this benefit be void? I bought some electronics using the 20% off paypal promotion and would hate to see the warranty doubling getting void due to using paypal instead of the CC directly. Does anyone know?

I just called paypal and the lady there seems lost and confused. She did not know the answer to my question regarding the thankyou points nor Hindustani's question regarding loss of warranty coverage because of using cc with paypal instead of the cc itself.

Ill call a second time to talk to someone else, less confused than me and the first lady!!!

Credit cards treat paypal as a transaction so your bonus points or whatever you get should also count. Now if your cc gives you double points based on electronics (or whatever) I doubt you will get the bonus points.

I have used paypal for years and always get my 1.5% CashBack on my fidelity card.

kurratito said: I just called paypal and the lady there seems lost and confused. She did not know the answer to my question regarding the thankyou points nor Hindustani's question regarding loss of warranty coverage because of using cc with paypal instead of the cc itself.

Ill call a second time to talk to someone else, less confused than me and the first lady!!!

I guess you need to call the credit card folks instead of paypal to get an accurate answer...

Are you talking thank you points with regards of the type of the merchant on your credit card(groceries, drugstores, electronics, etc.) or actually going through the Thank You network affiliate shopping site to earn Thank You points?

Thank You Network:
"Online Retailers
You could earn up to 10 points for every dollar you spend at over 300 online retailers. Just select a retailer from the list below and start earning additional points on your purchases!

You can use any credit card to earn ThankYou Points when you shop with online retailers, but if you use a Citi® credit or debit card that's registered with ThankYou Network, you'll earn points from both the retailer and Citi."

I am pretty sure you would still get points for that...but probably can't combine with FatCash since you can only use one affiliate type clickthrough link. So you'd have to pick one or the other.

With regards on how to earn points with your credit card with Paypal YMMV. It all depends on how Paypal codes your purchase to the credit card. If you need it to show up as "electronics" to earn some bonus 5 points per dollar that may not occur...you may just earn your standard 1 point per dollar.

Like for example I bought stuff with my Buy.com credit card via Google Checkout hoping to get 3% back because of using the Buy.com card on Buy.com, but I only got the standard 1%. The only reason I did that of course was because of some nice Google Checkout promo.

This isnt a difficult question - YES you earn CC rewards when paypal charges your CC. End of story.

Whether its good to use paypal is another story.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014