• filter:
  • 1227228229230 231
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Glad that you new users have registered on here to keep us informed of this unfolding situation. Just crazy what these big banks will go after people for. I recall this case where someone was publicly posting some fairly serious (but false) statements about actions a bank was taking on its own customers. The bank got wind of the false posts which were misrepresentations that could wrongfully steer away customers and negatively impact the bank's reputation, thus meeting the criteria of libel and grounds for legal action. The poor guy didn't realize his posts and IP address stay logged indefinitely for these kinds of cases. In any case I didn't mean to change the subject, please continue to keep us updated.

rated:
You honestly think the banks/cc companies would give a d... if folks like you and me (or anyone on this forum for that matter) stayed clear? Just as a reminder, we are probably not the most profitable customers out there..... They would never admit it publicly, but they'd probably be pretty happy about these postings or at least not give two cents about them. Keep threatening members (new or old) all you want. we'll chat again once you are shut down.....Rewards are an essential part of many banks' marketing strategy. Altering those because of ms by some cardholders can have serious impact on their business, so I'm not surprised they are starting to go after the HHs.... Wouldn't you?

rated:
I got a balance transfer check offer from Discover in the mail. Can I write this check to myself and deposit it into my checking account? If I use this to transfer money into my checking account will it go through? About how long does it take? I bank with Chase.

Thank you for helping!!

rated:
You should check the terms and conditions that came with the BT checks.

That said, in general, yes you can deposit the check into your checking account. Sometimes the terms and conditions associated with the check will have two rates associated with them: one for balance transfers and another rate for cash advances or deposits into checking accounts.

BT checks generally have a 7 to 10 day window for clearing, according to the issuers language. I have found, in practice, that the checks generally clear in 2 to 5 days.

rated:
Thank you for you help, well here goes!!!

((And at first I thought your username was "dentureboy" ... need my eyes checked))

rated:
This is very GOOD

rated:
Does BJs gas ring up as gas on Visa/MC?

rated:
stanolshefski said:   Does BJs gas ring up as gas on Visa/MC?†
BJS FUEL #XXXX

Transaction date: MM/DD/YYYY

Card type: Visa
Transaction type: Purchases
Merchant description: AUTOMATED FUEL DISPENSER

rated:
Following the sage advices here, I have done as much as I can to minimize the amount of refund that I get on my federal returns each year (looks like it'll be roughly $500 instead of $2K+ this year). Issue now is that my state return is giving me a larger than expected return this year. Should I be reducing or increasing my state's regular exemptions to decrease the refund for next year?

rated:
Hey i'm new here.. i would like know what kind of discount's you most interested in?

rated:
uldist said:   Hey i'm new here.. i would like know what kind of discount's you most interested in?
††
Why?

rated:
Is there an easy way to electronically send money every month to another person at a different bank? †I have an account with Alliant now but I don't think they will let me add my mom's checking account into my list of transfer accounts.

rated:
Does it count against your credit every time you get a credit report or check your credit score? My mom insists that it does which makes me nervous to keep an eye on mine

rated:
crazylos3r said:   Does it count against your credit every time you get a credit report or check your credit score? My mom insists that it does which makes me nervous to keep an eye on mine
† When you look at your own credit report, it is a "soft pull" and these do not affect your credit score.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
crazylos3r said:   Does it count against your credit every time you get a credit report or check your credit score? My mom insists that it does which makes me nervous to keep an eye on mine
† When you look at your own credit report, it is a "soft pull" and these do not affect your credit score.

† Interesting. So that means it does affect your score if others check it like banks etc?

rated:
crazylos3r said:   
fwuser12 said:   

† Interesting. So that means it does affect your score if others check it like banks etc?

† If you apply for credit (credit card, mortgage, car loan, overdraft protection etc.) and the bank pulls your credit report, it will be a "hard pull" and these affect your credit score. Moreover, too many credit inquiries in the recent past is not looked upon favorably by a potential new lender.†

Your existing credit accounts may periodically pull your credit report. These are usually "soft pull" and they do not affect your credit.

In general, the soft pulls are not reported to other banks when they pull your credit report and thus they do not know about the soft pulls. Hard pulls are reported and can have an adverse impact on your credit score as well as your ability to get a loan/credit application approved.

rated:
I have an old Blue Cash which I have not used in about 5 years. I've done the math and based on my spending, and entire lack of desire to do any sort of manufactured spending, that it really isn't useful for me. I do think the Blue Cash Preferred would fit nicely into my rotation of cards though. Is it worth it to upgrade or just leave it in my jewelry box? Will they pull a full credit report?

rated:
Ermentrude said:   I have an old Blue Cash which I have not used in about 5 years. I've done the math and based on my spending, and entire lack of desire to do any sort of manufactured spending, that it really isn't useful for me. I do think the Blue Cash Preferred would fit nicely into my rotation of cards though. Is it worth it to upgrade or just leave it in my jewelry box? Will they pull a full credit report?
† If you are not using the Old Blue Cash (as much as it pains me to say it), you may as well convert to Blue Cash Everyday, or Blue Cash Preferred.
If you do a product change, it will not be a hard credit pull.

Or you could apply for BCP. That would be a hard pull, but then you'd have both.

rated:
Also, BCP has a sign up bonus of Amazon Prime for one year and $100 after $1k of spending within the first three months. That is worth the credit pull for some people.†

rated:
Ermentrude said:   I have an old Blue Cash which I have not used in about 5 years. I've done the math and based on my spending, and entire lack of desire to do any sort of manufactured spending, that it really isn't useful for me. I do think the Blue Cash Preferred would fit nicely into my rotation of cards though. Is it worth it to upgrade or just leave it in my jewelry box? Will they pull a full credit report?
††
Do you plan on using the Blue Cash Preferred if you upgrade? † Isn't the fee about $75 a year?

rated:
I already did the upgrade, I just needed the tiniest bit of encouragement. Like I said, I did the math and even with the $75 fee, I still will end up about $200 ahead by not having to waste time getting to $6500. I do appreciate the comments though.

rated:
New passerby here looking for advice.

So I finally hit the realization that despite being employed for most of the past 5 years and not having any big bills, I have 0 in savings. I used to deposit 20% of my paycheck into savings, but it was closed because I withdrew from it too often. Now I want to play catchup, but I'm unsure where to start.

I owe about 800 from sources here and there (tmobile, college, paypal, doctor) that I'm planning to settle within the next 3 weeks. My college and tmobile are my first priorities since they're the biggest debts and oldest debts. My paypal account was closed but i've payed most of it off now. I also have a family plan on att in my name.

Which would be smarter, opening a secured credit card or a savings account? I'm planning to move out of my parents house before next year and want to build up my credit. I'm just afraid of getting rejected since I was last year when I was unemployed. Right now I make about 1600 a month. Any advice would be appreciated

rated:
That would depend on whether you think you will need the money in the next year. You mentioned that you live with your parents. Are they able and willing to lend you some money in the next year if some kind of shit happens? If so, then I would go with the secured card. It is important to build credit, and interest rates are ~zero at the time so it's not like you are giving up a ton in interest. Just make sure to pick a secured card from a reputable financial institution that is willing to unsecure it in the next 6 months to a year.

Also, how bad is your credit and who do you bank with? Some banks do extend out unsecured cards (albeit with low limits) to their banking customers even if they have little or no credit, granted that the customer has been with the bank for long enough and the bank has enough info to determine an internal scoring profile based on their banking history. that way you can have your cake and eat it too. This only works for people with little established credit though, not so much for people with bad credit.

rated:
I'm new to fatwallet and like the discussion on here. Does anyone know of a website where you can buy visa and mastercard gift cards at a discount? Thanks

rated:
LearningFast said:   That would depend on whether you think you will need the money in the next year. You mentioned that you live with your parents. Are they able and willing to lend you some money in the next year if some kind of shit happens? If so, then I would go with the secured card. It is important to build credit, and interest rates are ~zero at the time so it's not like you are giving up a ton in interest. Just make sure to pick a secured card from a reputable financial institution that is willing to unsecure it in the next 6 months to a year.

Also, how bad is your credit and who do you bank with? Some banks do extend out unsecured cards (albeit with low limits) to their banking customers even if they have little or no credit, granted that the customer has been with the bank for long enough and the bank has enough info to determine an internal scoring profile based on their banking history. that way you can have your cake and eat it too. This only works for people with little established credit though, not so much for people with bad credit.

I'll need the money closer to the end of the year for a security deposit on an apartment. I can borrow money if I need to but I generally prefer not to. My credit I don't think is that bad, I just don't have much history. I've tried checking it but credit karma just says I have a thin file.

I have a Bank of America checking right now since I don't have to pay fees on it. I was looking at the Capitol one secured card to start out. I did get talked into applying for a card at my bank about a year ago, but got rejected

rated:
My first credit card was a BoA student card (unsecured), having banked with them for 5 years at the time. Perhaps you can give that another go now that you have an income. is there any criterion you can use to pass as a student?

I would definitely put the money in a savings account if you will need it to put down for an apartment.

If creditkarma says you have too thin of a file that may suggest you do not have anything on your report. After your first tradeline reports it will take 6 months for you to have a usable file. To do this you can try giving it another shot with BoA. cap1 secured is also good option if you can afford the deposit. Other options are any local credit unions if you are affiliated with any, or a store card. If you go the store card method pick one where you will actually use the card. Some store cards will approve you without doing a credit pull. Google "Shopping card trick" for the way to do this. Don't get more than one or two store cards though, they tend to not grow very much in limits. And stay away from predatory lenders like credit one and merrick.

Good luck!

rated:
airliners said:   I'm new to fatwallet and like the discussion on here. Does anyone know of a website where you can buy visa and mastercard gift cards at a discount? Thanks
† You might try www.cardhub.com or www.giftcardrescue.com. †I have never used these sights but I have have seen them out there at a small discount (1%-5%).

rated:
i DO OT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT

rated:
Thanks to FWF, I am at a point where I need to put all my financial information in some place where my loved ones have access in case something happens to me. There was a thread some months about it, but I can't find it. Does anyone has the link for it? Thanks.

rated:
noelandres said:   Thanks to FWF, I am at a point where I need to put all my financial information in some place where my loved ones have access in case something happens to me. There was a thread some months about it, but I can't find it. Does anyone has the link for it? Thanks.
Give a man a fish:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1401565/

Teach a man to fish:
Google:†site:fatwallet.com passwords safe
Third result

rated:
noelandres said:   Thanks to FWF, I am at a point where I need to put all my financial information in some place where my loved ones have access in case something happens to me. There was a thread some months about it, but I can't find it. Does anyone has the link for it? Thanks.

A similar thread†was "Financial Handbook for Spouse"
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1386536/

rated:
Actually, I did try to Google it. The thread by NantucketSunrise was the one I was looking for. Thanks both, I have 2 thread to take ideas from

rated:
Really good ideas, thanks for the info

rated:
Hello everyone,
Im new here and looking to be pointed in the right direction. I recently sold a piece of land in mexico and want to bring money to the u.s via check or wire transfer for 140k. What forms to i need to fill out to comply with the currency transaction act? Do i have to pay taxes? Dont want to be linked to any illicit or money laundering for legally obtain money and not taking the correct steps to report..

Thanks

rated:
Any doing to the NetSpend Pay-As-You-Go Plan just to earn the 5% with no debit/ATM/billpay transactions? How is it working out?

How to revive an archived post here? e.g. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1373942/ (I can't post to this thread)

rated:
How do the credit reporting agencies get hold of your employment history?

Thanks!

rated:
Long -- In general, I didn't think they get your employment history. That's a different group. Refer to this thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/999219/

They probably have access to something like this (or at least the banks or bank's software provider ) for ID verification. To my knowledge, CRAs don't include employment info as a part of your CS, if that is what you are asking.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1227228229230 231
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015