• filter:
  • 1229230231232 233
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
my4mainecoons said:   
LongDongSilver said:   Amex GC question:

I have 2 x $100 Amex GC and wondering if it's possible to get cash for them without going through the hassle of selling them to a third party.

Thanks!

I use gc to pay utility bills via Evolve Money.

Are they charging you 3% or is it still free?

rated:
I'll be getting an additional ~10k in income this year from the gubment for advanced technical rescue training but they will be taking out no taxes.

Is it smarter to just stick that 10k into something and pay the taxes on it next April? I had also thought about bumping up the 401k to offset the income from that money but my wife thinks that would leave me with an even LARGER tax burden and I'm having issues trying to wrap my mind around her thinking.

rated:
Prngr44 said:   I'll be getting an additional ~10k in income this year from the gubment for advanced technical rescue training but they will be taking out no taxes.

Is it smarter to just stick that 10k into something and pay the taxes on it next April? I had also thought about bumping up the 401k to offset the income from that money but my wife thinks that would leave me with an even LARGER tax burden and I'm having issues trying to wrap my mind around her thinking.

You may owe estimated taxes in the quarter you received the additional income. IANYTP (I am not your tax professional). 

rated:
BostonOne said:   
Prngr44 said:   I'll be getting an additional ~10k in income this year from the gubment for advanced technical rescue training but they will be taking out no taxes.

You may owe estimated taxes in the quarter you received the additional income. IANYTP (I am not your tax professional). 

Thanks.  In my mind, reducing my AGI (by contributing another 10k to the 401k) would result in a wash.  

rated:
Hi guys. Is there a bank that allows you to make deposits with check pictures? I don't mean mobile deposits. I have a picture of the check in my computer (JPEG). I need to deposit this electronically. I could print it, and try that way. But my guess is that the quality will degrade. So, is there any bank that does this?

rated:
Alliant CU. You can deposit by scanning and uploading with your PC.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   Alliant CU. You can deposit by scanning and uploading with your PC.
  Thanks. I have an account with Alliant! I'll give it a go. 

rated:

Are you being contracted by a government agency to teach advanced technical rescue training to others, or are you being paid to attend such training?
If you're a contractor providing the training, your expenses associated with the job may be deductible.  Also, you will be liable for self-employment taxes on your net income in addition to income taxes.
If you're being paid to attend the course, it's possible you may have educational expenses which will reduce or eliminate any taxable income.
If you do have additional taxable income as a result of this project, and you can increase your 401(k) deferral to equal the additional taxable income, then your income tax for this year won't increase.  However, this will not affect your liability for self-employment taxes, if that applies to your situation.

rated:
Pattern Day Trader (PDT) question:

Does the 4x margin only apply to day trades?  If you hold the position overnight, it will still be 2x or you will get a fed call?

Thanks!

rated:
frugalpete said:   
LongDongSilver said:   Amex GC question:

I have 2 x $100 Amex GC and wondering if it's possible to get cash for them without going through the hassle of selling them to a third party.

Thanks!

I've been able to get a check for rebate AMEX cards from Tiger Direct by calling the number on the back.  The cards must not have been used at all.  YMMV

How did you do that?  I called CSR and was told a refund check option is not available.  The GC is question is the Amex Reward Card.

rated:
LongDongSilver said:   Pattern Day Trader (PDT) question:

Does the 4x margin only apply to day trades?  If you hold the position overnight, it will still be 2x or you will get a fed call?

Thanks!

For Reg-T accounts, the overnight requirement is 50%.  You can buy and sell during the day with your "buying power" or whatever your broker calls it to the 25% level (4x) but must close positions by the end of the day to the 50% level (2x). 

Portfolio margin requirements vary according to the types of securities you are holding -- the portfolio margin requirements could be lower or higher than the Reg T margin requirements.  Portfolio margin typically requires higher minimum cash up front and application and approval.  You may be able to get to 25% (4x) with combinations of stable stocks or offsetting positions.  

rated:
ETrade question for those who have tried it.

I established an ETrade account about 2 months ago for the bonus offer and some free trades. The $200 bonus posted to my account. I transferred all but $.01 out of the account.

The $200 promo offer states that the account must remain active for 6 months. I did not see any verbiage about the balance of the account. ETrade also has a partial transfer fee of $25 and a full transfer fee of $60.

I want to move all my stocks out. Can I take out all my stocks to another broker, have the $.01 remain, and count that as an active account, and pay only the $25?

rated:
Krazen1211 said:   ETrade question for those who have tried it.

I established an ETrade account about 2 months ago for the bonus offer and some free trades. The $200 bonus posted to my account. I transferred all but $.01 out of the account.

The $200 promo offer states that the account must remain active for 6 months. I did not see any verbiage about the balance of the account. ETrade also has a partial transfer fee of $25 and a full transfer fee of $60.

I want to move all my stocks out. Can I take out all my stocks to another broker, have the $.01 remain, and count that as an active account, and pay only the $25?

Was the bonus offer simply to open a new account or to transfer a certain dollar amount. If the latter, read the fine print very carefully. Almost all such offers (ETrade or otherwise) require that the funds be maintained, except for trading losses, for a certain period.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
Krazen1211 said:   ETrade question for those who have tried it.

Was the bonus offer simply to open a new account or to transfer a certain dollar amount. If the latter, read the fine print very carefully. Almost all such offers (ETrade or otherwise) require that the funds be maintained, except for trading losses, for a certain period.

The fine print was nowhere to be found on their account. I finally dug it up.

The bonus was either or, but I think you are correct either way. Oh well, I'll stick around until July.

New funds or securities must remain in the account (minus any trading losses) for a minimum of six months or the credit may be surrendered. 

rated:
Can someone help me figure out which HDHP is the best deal based on X amount spent on health expenses this year? The plans are all the same except for the deductibles. I will only be covered from April - December. Not sure if I will spend more than 1500 but you never know.
HSA Plan Annual Cost Deductible
1 1103 1500
2 884 2000
3 689 3000

rated:
matrix5k said:   Can someone help me figure out which HDHP is the best deal based on X amount spent on health expenses this year? The plans are all the same except for the deductibles. I will only be covered from April - December. Not sure if I will spend more than 1500 but you never know.

1 1103 1500
2 884 2000
3 689 3000

1 or 2. If you think you definitely won't get to $1,500 then #2. Keep in mind that you're paying an extra $164.25 (for 9 months) to get a $500 lower deductible for plan #1 vs. #2.

rated:
matrix5k said:   Can someone help me figure out which HDHP is the best deal based on X amount spent on health expenses this year? The plans are all the same except for the deductibles. I will only be covered from April - December. Not sure if I will spend more than 1500 but you never know.

1 1103 1500
2 884 2000
3 689 3000

It would appear if your maximum out-of-pocket cost is expected to be less than $2,000, Plan 3 is probably your best option.  If more than $2,000 out-of-pocket, Plan 1 is probably your best option.  Here's the maximum outlay for premium and out-of-pocket for all 3 plans:
Plan Premium Deductible 1500 Spend 2000 Spend 3000 Spend
1 1103 1500 2603 2603 2603
2 889 2000 2389 2889 2889
3 684 3000 2184 2684 3684

Plan 2 only appears to be a better option if your out-of-pocket expenses are between $2,500 and $3,000.

rated:
How can I change my FatWallet user name? I want to be able to do a search of all replies to everything I posted in the forums. My user name appears in random text for 9000 reasons unrelated to me, which causes such a search to return too many unrelated posts.

rated:
9000 said:   How can I change my FatWallet user name? I want to be able to do a search of all replies to everything I posted in the forums. My user name appears in random text for 9000 reasons unrelated to me, which causes such a search to return too many unrelated posts.
  Are you using this to search?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/search/results.php?type=forums&query=&sort=date&match=full&forum=all&postedby=9000

rated:
That search finds what I posted. What I want is replies to what I posted. Is there a "repliedto" or something like that, to use in place of "postedby"?

rated:
That search will show new replies to any thread you post in. I am not aware of something that will do what you are describing. Maybe you should ask for help in the Fatwallet forum.

rated:
Is it fine to purchase a airline ticket from USA and email it to my parent starting from different country? Airliner is allowing me to change first name from payment page. They select last name automatically which is same for us. It is first time to travel. I am trying to make sure they do not run into any issues in airport? They are not going to carry my credit card. They have passport/visa only
for verification at the time of boarding.

Thanks

rated:
Should not be a problem. What airline is this?

rated:
fwuser12 said:   Should not be a problem. What airline is this?
  Thanks fwuser12. I bought with Emirates. It allowed me to purchase by modifying first name in the check out page. Our last names are same.
Thanks

rated:
rustum said:   
fwuser12 said:   Should not be a problem. What airline is this?
  Thanks fwuser12. I bought with Emirates. It allowed me to purchase by modifying first name in the check out page. Our last names are same.
Thanks

No personal experience with this airline but this should cause no problem.
In the early days (about 15 years ago), when internet booking and e-tickets were becoming common, I have heard airlines asking to see the CC used to book the ticket --- not personally experienced it, so I take that with a grain of salt. But lately, I dont see any issues with this.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1229230231232 233
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015