• filter:
  • 1230231232233 234
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
dup.

rated:
nvm. FW screwed up my post and I lost everything I had typed.

rated:
I have a credit score of 685 and was able to use it to make $30,000 as a co\signor and no risk.

rated:
Does anyone have favorite travel cc rewards programs? I have a few cc's but am unhappy with the points program. I love my Discover, but in terms of CCs, I wonder if I should go with Southwest, AA, AAA, etc.. Any help would be appreciated. My credit score is around 740.

rated:
himynameisDio said:   Does anyone have favorite travel cc rewards programs? I have a few cc's but am unhappy with the points program. I love my Discover, but in terms of CCs, I wonder if I should go with Southwest, AA, AAA, etc.. Any help would be appreciated. My credit score is around 740.
  depends what you want. This is the best thread for your question. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/711457/

without knowing anything else about you. SPG AMEX.

rated:
Not a new user, but "new" investor here. I have been looking for some better investment option than the 1% interest checking account that I currently have. Was thinking about dividend stocks, or mindlessly trading penny stocks (i know, i know), but I have no real set strategy. Back when this checking account I currently have all my liquid asset in made 4-6% interest, I wasn't worried. Looking to invest about $10k to start. Thanks for any assistance.

rated:
RobInBoston said:   Not a new user, but "new" investor here. I have been looking for some better investment option than the 1% interest checking account that I currently have. Was thinking about dividend stocks, or mindlessly trading penny stocks (i know, i know), but I have no real set strategy. Back when this checking account I currently have all my liquid asset in made 4-6% interest, I wasn't worried. Looking to invest about $10k to start. Thanks for any assistance.
Rob - we need more info to help you out. What percent of your overall investable assets is this $10K? Do you have a separate emergency fund already established? What kind of risk are you willing to accept, e.g. is an average return of 8%, with the possibility that it declines 40% in a single year acceptable to you? Keep in mind that the difference between 1% and 5% on 10K is $400/yr. 

rated:
don't do penny stocks. You may as well take your 10k and play blackjack.
There is a dividend paying stocks discussion thread http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1258496/
otherwise, just invest in a whole market mutual fund.

rated:
RobInBoston said:   Not a new user, but "new" investor here. I have been looking for some better investment option than the 1% interest checking account that I currently have. Was thinking about dividend stocks, or mindlessly trading penny stocks (i know, i know), but I have no real set strategy. Back when this checking account I currently have all my liquid asset in made 4-6% interest, I wasn't worried. Looking to invest about $10k to start. Thanks for any assistance.

I would just invest it in a couple of index funds. Several more articles came out recently that still say the same, very few actively managed funds can beat the S&P 500. You could just dump the whole thing into Vanguard Index 500 and forget it. Market is somewhat neutral this year, the last two years were pretty good, things took a big hit in 2008. Average return over the last 10 years was 7.87%, the 5 year 16.01%. People also talk about the lost decade from about 2000-2010 when you had the dot com bust and the 2008 downturn where the market didn't make anything. 

rated:
Capital gains question.

During 2014, my wife and I decided to move overseas from the USA. We sold just about everything, including two cars. One car was sold at a loss (few hundred dollars) and the other a slight gain (few hundred dollars). We had our files shipped over and upon working on our US taxes we have been unable to find the documentation with the exact sales amounts. We have called the placed we transferred the titles at and they send all documentation to the DMV. Called the DMV and they state if I request a copy of the sale, they retract the sales tax and price from all documents. Person stated they never release this documentation. I do not have contact info from the buyers and no call records as the phone contracts have been cancelled. Any recommendations on how to approach handling the capital gains? Any numbers sales I enter will be estimates (we both have totally different ideas on what the exact values were). I am 90% positive we have a net loss, but I am not even going to attempt to apply any losses to the return. No idea how to approach this. Should I fill out the schedules to the best of my knowledge with a net gain of zero? Or with a net gain/loss of zero should the schedules even be filled out and just leave a zero for capital gains. Due to our tax bracket, we fall into the 0% tax rate for capital gains. Thanks for reading and a super thank you for writing a reply.

rated:
Chase Freedom CC customer service nightmare question:

I'm expecting 2 credit balance refund checks for overpayment from store returns.  I made 2 separate requests on 2 different dates.  Both of them are of the same amount ($390).  I received the 2nd check in the mail and cashed it.  The 1st was lost in the mail (original request was on Jan 28).  They said they sent me a replacement check but I still haven't received it after 1 month.  I have been calling back and fourth on it but to no avail.  I escalated the case to supervisor level but they just keep handing me the lines "check is in the mail", "we are still researching it", "wait 14 days before calling again", etc.  What can I do to get my money back?  Thanks!

rated:
My (mortgage) bank was bought out and will convert to a new bank the weekend of April 17. Any FWF advantages to be taken during/as a result of the conversion?

Before the buyout was announced, I had planned to request the elimination of the escrow acct for my property taxes & insurance (per bank policy, mandatory for all mortgages). Obviously not sure if this will be easier or harder to get done under the new bank rules. Heartland bought out by/converting to Midland States.

rated:
Tax experts plz: If you inherit stock from a parent's trust, shouldn't the cost basis be based on the fair market value (FMV) at time of death? The 1099-B I received shows cost basis based on when my parent bought the stock. Is that correct?

rated:
StaticCharge said:   My (mortgage) bank was bought out and will convert to a new bank the weekend of April 17. Any FWF advantages to be taken during/as a result of the conversion?

Before the buyout was announced, I had planned to request the elimination of the escrow acct for my property taxes & insurance (per bank policy, mandatory for all mortgages). Obviously not sure if this will be easier or harder to get done under the new bank rules. Heartland bought out by/converting to Midland States.

Loans are sold and transferred between banks all the time. 

rated:
I was a grad student in 2014. I own a home that my parents live in, and they paid the mortgage while I was in grad school. I had no income while in school. The IRS will probably want to know how I paid the mortgage with no income. How do I report the mortgage payments that my parents paid in my taxes?

rated:
matrix5k said:   I was a grad student in 2014. I own a home that my parents live in, and they paid the mortgage while I was in grad school. I had no income while in school. The IRS will probably want to know how I paid the mortgage with no income. How do I report the mortgage payments that my parents paid in my taxes?
Was the amount lower than 2x the annual gift tax exclusion (28K)? If so, can't you consider it a gift? In that case, it appears there's no reporting to do and you'd be all set. 

rated:
matrix5k said:   I was a grad student in 2014. I own a home that my parents live in, and they paid the mortgage while I was in grad school. I had no income while in school. The IRS will probably want to know how I paid the mortgage with no income. How do I report the mortgage payments that my parents paid in my taxes?
  may be somewhat more complicated if parents or you took the mortgage interest deduction

rated:
Tax question - if HOA fees and property tax were paid in escrow and I include them in the property's total basis for depreciation, am I allowed to include them in rental expenses too? Thanks. 

rated:
qcumber98 said:   Tax question - if HOA fees and property tax were paid in escrow and I include them in the property's total basis for depreciation, am I allowed to include them in rental expenses too? Thanks. 
  Property taxes and HOA fees are not part of the basis of the property - only what you paid for it plus any improvements made since the purchase.  Property taxes and HOA fees are allowable expenses when computing net rental income, along with depreciation, insurance, etc.  You may wish to consult an accountant or someone with experience in rental properties.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1230231232233 234
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015