Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hey Guys,

I just have a question about Turbo Tax.

Is Turbo Tax better than going to an accountant to file you personal taxes? I never used it before.
Will it really maximize my return or am I better of going to my accountant?

My accountant charges $100-$150 for fileing taxes.

Thanks for the response.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
has anybody here ever watched a CPA do their taxes (not a self employed 1099'er, just a regular W2 working joe)

They just... (more)

juliox (Jan. 15, 2008 @ 7:38p) |

Complexity begets value and CPAs are no different than any other professional service in that regard. You don't consult... (more)

wdsaltman95 (Jan. 15, 2008 @ 10:36p) |

Well what do you want them to do, do each return using pen, paper, and an abacus? yes the CPA will enter the data into a... (more)

NeuroSynapsis (Jan. 15, 2008 @ 11:06p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Do you expect your tax return to be pretty similar to the previous year's return? Then use the software. You'll be able to do a sanity check by comparing to the previous return.

If your circumstances have changed significantly, you might want to use an accountant.

simerjots said:
Is Turbo Tax better than going to an accountant to file you personal taxes?

Yes.

simerjots said:

No.

How complicated are your personal taxes? Unless they're pretty unusual I don't see what advantage you think you'd gain by using an accountant.

I am kind of in the same boat. I currently have had my CPA do my taxes, but was looking at software packages as well. Overall my taxes would not be complicated, but one thing with going to a CPA is that the person I go to does a great job of maximizing my deductions. I have not been audited and would like to keep it that way. In the end maybe the deductions my CPA finds are worth the price of having a CPA versus software, but then again I am not too sure how good these software packages are at deductions.

skadoo323 said: I am kind of in the same boat. I currently have had my CPA do my taxes, but was looking at software packages as well. Overall my taxes would not be complicated, but one thing with going to a CPA is that the person I go to does a great job of maximizing my deductions. I have not been audited and would like to keep it that way. In the end maybe the deductions my CPA finds are worth the price of having a CPA versus software, but then again I am not too sure how good these software packages are at deductions.

A couple things you could do.

1) Take a TurboTax filed return from year's past and see if your accountant would have done anything differently to maximize your deductions

2) Take a return that your CPA did for 2006 and try to run it in TurboTax from last year and see if the amount of the return was the same.

3) Use a copy of TurboTax from this year to see what your return would be doing it yourself. Then have your CPA do a return for you and see what the difference is. You may waste 15$ (pointed out below that TurboTax is $15 at Costco) that year, but at least you will find out if the CPA is worth it.

From a purely financial standpoint if by using a CPA you get back more than $200 than you would using TurboTax then I guess financially he is worth it.

You all should use my accountant. I make $300,000 a year and she reduced my tax bill to $19.99. Well worth the money in my opinion.

We've used Turbo Tax for 10+ years for ourselves as well as our kid's returns. Previously we used an accountant. As others have stated previously, unless your circumstances have changed drastically from last year's return, I'd go with Turbo Tax.
By the way, Costco will have it $15.00 off with a coupon. January 14-20.

ScootyPuffSr said: You all should use my accountant. I make $300,000 a year and she reduced my tax bill to $19.99. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Good accountant as long as everything done was legal and I am sure it was.

simerjots said:
I'd say it's about 60/40.

mikef07 said: ScootyPuffSr said: You all should use my accountant. I make $300,000 a year and she reduced my tax bill to $19.99. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Oh she is, she was a very high up IRS executive. I met her while golfing with my CEO friends whom I was introduced to while hanging out with my professional athlete friends.

ScootyPuffSr said: mikef07 said: ScootyPuffSr said: You all should use my accountant. I make $300,000 a year and she reduced my tax bill to $19.99. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Oh she is, she was a very high up IRS executive. I met her while golfing with my CEO friends whom I was introduced to while hanging out with my professional athlete friends.

Awesome for someone with your paygrade

Unless you have lots of rental property and/or small business items on your return, tax software should be able to handle most of it as good as your accountant. I'm assuming that if accountant charges you $100-150, it's not a terribly complicated tax return overall (i.e. something the accountant spends about 1 hours doing).

That said, the best is to test things out. You can find old copies of last year's tax software virtually for free. Run it thoroughly yourself without looking at what accountant did to simulate what you'd do on your own. If there are no major differences in tax bill, forget the accountant if your situation this year is about the same as last year.

If there are differences, maybe you just forgot some tricky deductions. So find those out and see if tax software would have been able to handle it if you hadn't forgotten about them. If so, and if your situation is about same as last year, again it might be worth going without accountant. You could do one final run with this year's software and compare with accountant's work.

Finally, factor in your decision, the anxiety and time it'll save you. Whatever you're doing if you're roughly pulling in $50/hr and it takes you 8 hours to do your return, then maybe paying the accountant is a better use of your time. And it could save you some worries too.

Awesome for someone with your paygrade

No need to be jealous just because I've been more successful in life than you.

I came to simply present my opinion.

I'm not an accountant so I would have no idea how she reduces my taxes. I just told her I'd like to pay as little as possible (duh) and not be audited.

ScootyPuffSr said: Awesome for someone with your paygrade

I'm not an accountant so I would have no idea how she reduces my taxes. I just told her I'd like to pay as little as possible (duh) and not be audited.

Smart. Since obviously the OP knows that both a CPA and TurboTax would both do the job, they are asking which in essence will minimize their tax liability thus increasing thier tax return. What the OP truly wants to know is if using the CPA will bring in more than the $200 it would cost him. Obviously it depends on the CPA, but the Op should know that people like yourself will scream that the CPA and/or the OP is cheating on his taxes if he pays a lesser amount as a % than they do since it has been proven time and time again. Now get back to your desk job.

mikef07 said: ScootyPuffSr said: Awesome for someone with your paygrade

Smart. Since obviously the OP knows that both a CPA and TurboTax would both do the job, they are asking which in essence will minimize their tax liability thus increasing thier tax return. What the OP truly wants to know is if using the CPA will bring in more than the $200 it would cost him. Obviously it depends on the CPA, but the Op should know that people like yourself will scream that the CPA and/or the OP is cheating on his taxes if he pays a lesser amount as a % than they do since it has been proven time and time again. Now get back to your desk job.

I was simply presenting my opinion and you can't tell me not post just because I may be in the minority view. I'm very apologetic that you seem so hostile and bitter. Are you having a bad day? Family problems at home?

Also I find it interesting that you automatically think I mean the opposite of what I say and am simply posting for attention. I think that really reveals something about your true personality that you don't want to admit to yourself.

Oh well, you're probably just lashing out to exorcise the bullies who beat you up at school.

ScootyPuffSr said:

(various drivel about professional athletes and CEOs ....)

Your post was in jest, right? You really weren't being serious ... I hope ...

mikef07 said: skadoo323 said: Q]

A couple things you could do.

1) Take a TurboTax filed return from year's past and see if your accountant would have done anything differently to maximize your deductions

2) Take a return that your CPA did for 2006 and try to run it in TurboTax from last year and see if the amount of the return was the same.

3) Use a copy of TurboTax from this year to see what your return would be doing it yourself. Then have your CPA do a return for you and see what the difference is. You may waste 15$ (pointed out below that TurboTax is $15 at Costco) that year, but at least you will find out if the CPA is worth it.

From a purely financial standpoint if by using a CPA you get back more than $200 than you would using TurboTax then I guess financially he is worth it.

Sadly this thread turned into a negative pile of worthless shit- but that is a good post with great advice.

ScootyPuffSr said: mikef07 said: ScootyPuffSr said: Awesome for someone with your paygrade

I was simply presenting my opinion and you can't tell me not post just because I may be in the minority view. I'm very apologetic that you seem so hostile and bitter. Are you having a bad day? Family problems at home?

Also I find it interesting that you automatically think I mean the opposite of what I say and am simply posting for attention. I think that really reveals something about your true personality that you don't want to admit to yourself.

Oh well, you're probably just lashing out to exorcise the bullies who beat you up at school.

There was no hostility. I was simply pointing out the obvious that the OP wants to minimize tax liablity. There is also nothing wrong with a desk job if you thought that was where I was being hostile. Peons are needed in the business place and without your type there would be no one to get the coffee or clean the break room up. I guess you are the one having a bad day since you seem to be jumping to conclusions.

Sorry for turning this thread into that pile, but I do think that what I posted in my first post would be the easiest and best way to figure out if a CPA would help in your situation.

There is also nothing wrong with a desk job if you thought that was where I was being hostile.

Peons are needed in the business place and without your type

So you're not being hostile but the next word you typed was to call me a peon.

Can't beat that Mikef07 logic.

You know Mike, I make more money than you and in general are just more successful in life than you. I don't feel the need to apologize for that.

I am sorry that you are apparently so dominated in real life that you feel the need to lash out on this forum.

ScootyPuffSr said: There is also nothing wrong with a desk job if you thought that was where I was being hostile.

Peons are needed in the business place and without your type

So you're not being hostile but the next word you typed was to call me a peon.

Can't beat that Mikef07 logic.

You know Mike, I make more money than you and in general are just more successful in life than you. I don't feel the need to apologize for that.

I am sorry that you are apparently so dominated in real life that you feel the need to lash out on this forum.

Peons are not bad. Like I said we need peons. I already know what you do for a living. Back to work peon and give up your fantasy world and GET BACK ON TOPIC!!!
All anyone has to do is read my first post. End of discussion.

Either it works out and a CPA is better (financially) or it isn't.

ScootyPuffSr said: mikef07 said: ScootyPuffSr said: You all should use my accountant. I make $300,000 a year and she reduced my tax bill to $19.99. Well worth the money in my opinion.

As long as none of your CEO friends have gone to jail everything must be on the up and up.

simerjots said: Hey Guys,

Is Turbo Tax better than going to an accountant to file you personal taxes? I never used it before.

Thanks for the response.

You accountant works cheap.

It really depends on the complexity of your return and your ability to use Turbo Tax.

If you have W-2 income plus interest, dividends etc. and your deductions are mortgage, local taxes etc. I would say Turbo Tax.

If you are self-employed or have a side business, have 1099 income, substantial gains/losses on investments or other more complex income or deductions you may want to consider a CPA.

Why not try both this year and compare how you do vs. the CPA.

BrlDsguise said: simerjots said: Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response.

It really depends on the complexity of your return and your ability to use Turbo Tax.

If you have W-2 income plus interest, dividends etc. and your deductions are mortgage, local taxes etc. I would say Turbo Tax.

If you are self-employed or have a side business, have 1099 income, substantial gains/losses on investments or other more complex income or deductions you may want to consider a CPA.

coming from a CPA firm...

unless you have special circumstances (houses, rentals, side business, foreign relations, investments, etc) then it's not worth it for you to get a CPA to do your taxes

it may be worthwhile once you start hitting 5 figures into 6 figures

cpa's are very useful for tax advice, however.

NeuroSynapsis said: BrlDsguise said: simerjots said: Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response.

unless you have special circumstances (houses, rentals, side business, foreign relations, investments, etc) then it's not worth it for you to get a CPA to do your taxes

How about a change in marital status? I just got married over the summer and have done my taxes with TaxCut for the past 5 years. Would TaxCut (well, either tax software, really) be the preferred method over going to a CPA?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ninjaneer said: NeuroSynapsis said: BrlDsguise said: simerjots said: Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response.

How about a change in marital status? I just got married over the summer and have done my taxes with TaxCut for the past 5 years. Would TaxCut (well, either tax software, really) be the preferred method over going to a CPA?

Yes in that you should see the cpa BEFORE you get married to go over tax planning. Not doing tax planning before you're married = stupid

if you're doing it after then maybe maybe not? I don't know how the TaxCut filing as married works, sorry. I've used TaxCut for single individual however.

I dumped TurboTax last year and went back to an accountant. I have a home office and have to file in two states and it just got too complicated. That coupled with the fact that TurboTax kept upping their price the past couple of years and the software was getting more and more useless for my situation - I was spending more and more time on the IRS site while doing my taxes with TurboTax. It's just not worth it, and for an extra $200 I got an extra $2k back with an acct last year than I would have gotten with TurboTax.

NeuroSynapsis said: Ninjaneer said: NeuroSynapsis said: BrlDsguise said: simerjots said: Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response.

Yes in that you should see the cpa BEFORE you get married to go over tax planning. Not doing tax planning before you're married = stupid

if you're doing it after then maybe maybe not? I don't know how the TaxCut filing as married works, sorry. I've used TaxCut for single individual however.

What kind of tax planning is there to do? Neither of us are homeowners and have very, very small investments. I'm not sure what there would be to 'plan' for.

Ninjaneer said: NeuroSynapsis said: Ninjaneer said: NeuroSynapsis said: BrlDsguise said: simerjots said: Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response.

What kind of tax planning is there to do? Neither of us are homeowners and have very, very small investments. I'm not sure what there would be to 'plan' for.

I guess you answered your own question...

kranky said: Do you expect your tax return to be pretty similar to the previous year's return? Then use the software. You'll be able to do a sanity check by comparing to the previous return.

If your circumstances have changed significantly, you might want to use an accountant.

I disagree with this.

As most people who use TurboTax or any tax software are missing out on potentially very large deductions.

I have seen too many cases of software prepared returns taking to an an accountant or even a tax prepaper where a lot more money is saved to ever advise anyone to use software. And I did it for many years.

If the software missed things last year, it could miss them this year. The problem with the software is application. A real person will be able to properly apply all the different possibilities in a given situation. The software is pretty much limited to yes and no and hoping it encourages you to decide to do something that helps you.

ScootyPuffSr said: You all should use my accountant. I make $300,000 a year and she reduced my tax bill to $19.99. Well worth the money in my opinion.The big question no one has seemed to ask - was $19.99 your total tax, or just the remaining amount to send in with the return?

simerjots said: Is Turbo Tax better than going to an accountant to file you personal taxes? I never used it before.
It depends on what numbers you enter into Turbo Tax verses the numbers you give to your accountant.

rmf1981 said: ScootyPuffSr said:

Seriously. Former high level IRS agents have gone to prison for promoting tax evasion products. There is a very high-level one going on now. I wish I could find the link... but a former IRS agent was endorsing a certain fraudulent product and they are now going to spend the next 10 or 20 years in prison.

Some IRS agents have no knowledge of the tax code. There are others that are unethical and do things that land them in prison. Having a former IRS agent preparing your return is not a guarantee that is legal or will slip under the radar. Use the same judgment you would use when hiring a CPA or enrolled agent when considering a former IRS agent to prepare your taxes.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys.

I am new to fatwallet, and I am glad to be a member of it.

I will try Turbo Tax see how it works for me.

Thanks once again!

theman2 said: rmf1981 said: ScootyPuffSr said:

Seriously. Former high level IRS agents have gone to prison for promoting tax evasion products. There is a very high-level one going on now. I wish I could find the link... but a former IRS agent was endorsing a certain fraudulent product and they are now going to spend the next 10 or 20 years in prison.

Some IRS agents have no knowledge of the tax code. There are others that are unethical and do things that land them in prison. Having a former IRS agent preparing your return is not a guarantee that is legal or will slip under the radar. Use the same judgment you would use when hiring a CPA or enrolled agent when considering a former IRS agent to prepare your taxes.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2008-01-13-wesley-snipes_N.htm?csp=34

One of the things an experienced, qualified CPA/accountant/tax preparer can do for you is let you know which deductions are available that might not be apparent to you just from the tax software such as TurbTax and TaxCut. The tax software isd pretty good, but a neophyte might not appreciate all the nuances.
Even more important, they can guide you on how large a deduction you can take without raising red flags (even more so than the Audit Review of TurboTax).
They can also alert you to the implications of deducting a home office and possible depreciation recapture down the road when you sell your house.

If you have a fairly straight forward tax return that is relatively uncomplicated and you are knowledgeable with tax law and current years tax changes (gee, that sure is a bunch of qualifiers) then by all means try the software, otherwise consider a CPA, etc.

Lastly, even if you are comfortable doing your own return, are knowledgeable with tax law, or are so full of your self that you (think) you know everything (OK, I described myself), it is still worthwhile to go to a CPA every decade or so just to make sure you're as smart as you think you are. Think of it as a tune-up.

simerjots said: Is Turbo Tax better than going to an accountant to file you personal taxes? I never used it before.

My accountant charges $100-$150 for filing taxes.
If that's all, then I'd certainly go with the expertise of an accountant.

Doesn't Money magazine do an annual comparison of various accountants, enrolled agents, H&R Block, and various tax software?

WashingtonState said: We've used Turbo Tax for 10+ years for ourselves as well as our kid's returns. Previously we used an accountant. As others have stated previously, unless your circumstances have changed drastically from last year's return, I'd go with Turbo Tax.
By the way, Costco will have it $15.00 off with a coupon. January 14-20.

Be careful with the Costco version (or any desktop version) of TurboTax. Most of them do not include eFile. They tack on $17.95 per eFile (typically one for federal and one for state to the tune of ~$36).

Also, the TurboTax online product has a Basic version that they don't list on their front page. It is only $14.95 and includes free eFile but does not include state. State is an additional $29.95 and does include eFile.

Why do software companies feel the need to make a million different versions of their products?

Another thing to watch out for... If you start a return you cannot downgrade through their site. There is a way to downgrade but it is convoluted and they won't tell you how unless you really complain.

Skipping 6 Messages...
juliox said: has anybody here ever watched a CPA do their taxes (not a self employed 1099'er, just a regular W2 working joe)

They just type in the numbers into software that looks pretty much the same as TurboTax, but costs them $5k a year instead of $15. It's obviously more sophisticated as it allows more complicated things - but for a regular working person, the CPA is going to ask you the same questions as TurboTax.

And not ONE accountant I've used has really given me any additional information on how to reduce my tax bill NEXT year, so screw it i'll do it myself

Well what do you want them to do, do each return using pen, paper, and an abacus? yes the CPA will enter the data into a program. hell most of the time the CPA delegates a maggot (like myself) to enter the data into the program.

You seem to forget them looking over your numbers, figuring out your situation, identifying deductions, and then plugging it into the program. After that, depending on the complexity (the more complex the situation the more beneficial to get an accountant), they run different scenarios to try to decrease tax liability

have you ASKED the cpa for advice for the next year? we give ALL of our clients ideas on how to reduce tax liability, different things to save, etc. The more you communicate with your accountant, the more he can help identify ways to reduce your tax liability.

The most common mistake is asking your accountant to reduce the tax liability AFTER the fact, instead of careful tax planning.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.