• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I checked my credit history from Experian today.
The statement of one of my credit cards is
"Account in dispute under Fair Credit Billing Acts"
What does this mean, is it bad or not?
It is a chase credit card.
I have no idea about this, and I never did dispute anything on this card.
Should I call about this wrong information?
Thanks

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Call Chase and ask them what the issue is.

It isn't "bad" but it isn't "good" either. What it means is that someone has invoked your right to dispute the validity of either the account or some information about the account. This could be anything from questioning the balance to disputing whether the account is yours. But in any case, it says that you don't agree with the creditor about the account.

I believe I have seen collection agencies put this on (their) tradelines if you dispute them. The implication would be that Chase put this there because of something someone said to them.

Had any fraud issues? Credit repair firms working on your behalf? Other?

Probably best to just call Chase...

Just called chase. After 10 minutes waiting, got a CSR who has no idea about this, and he
then transfered me to his advisor. The advisor has no idea either. She then transfered me to the special department. A CSR from that department looked into my account, the only dispute she could find is a wrong charge half a year ago, and it is already fixed. She said she is not sure if this is the reason and she will go ahead to remove this dispute from my account.
I also wrote to Experian to clear that my account is not in dispute.
Hope this will help.
Thanks a lot.

ericwuyq said: Just called chase. After 10 minutes waiting, got a CSR who has no idea about this, and he
then transfered me to his advisor. The advisor has no idea either. She then transfered me to the special department. A CSR from that department looked into my account, the only dispute she could find is a wrong charge half a year ago, and it is already fixed. She said she is not sure if this is the reason and she will go ahead to remove this dispute from my account.
I also wrote to Experian to clear that my account is not in dispute.
Hope this will help.
Thanks a lot.
Have you ever filed a dispute about this account? If so, Experian will leave that notation for reference. It doesnt affect anything - it just says that at some point you had disputed some aspect of that account.

I had a similar experience.

A couple of years ago (5-10) I saw a charge on my Chase CC statement from a vendor that I didn't recognize.
I called Chase and asked then to send me a copy of the original charge slip.
I was fairly explicit that I was not disputing the charge at this point and that I just wanted to see what the item was to help refresh my memory.
They sent me a copy of the charge slip and wouldn't you know it, the also put the account in dispute by card holder.

It took a couple of calls to clear it up.
The charge was legitimate; the vendor was doing business as a DBA and I didn't recognize the vendor name until I received the charge slip.

The moral is, sometimes, even if you don't dispute a charge, your CC will nonetheless put the account in dispute.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014