• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
"The way Leo Hill figures it, every roll of toilet paper he's used since mid-2006 has shorted him at least one sitting.....
Jotting his totals on a flattened inner tube from an expended roll, Hill said he kept meticulous track. Each day he'd count the number of sheets he needed he limited the experiment to his Lakewood home's basement bathroom because his wife won't go there then added it to his previous day's tally."

link

Some people take frugality too far.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
hmm, anyone think his wife could be sneaking down to use his private basement crapper?

massfiasco (Jan. 30, 2008 @ 1:43p) |

Alright all ready, you've convinced me to believe your claims over what I've seen with my own eyes.

WalStMonky (Jan. 31, 2008 @ 2:41p) |

They were weighing the Iraqi dinar just a short time ago. It's a common practice when currency becomes near worthless.

delzy (Jan. 31, 2008 @ 4:28p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This is a old guy trying to scam someone...


To test his theory, The Denver Post counted, too nine rolls from five different makers but none had fewer sheets than advertised. One brand Quilted Northern, also by Georgia-Pacific actually had 10 percent more on two rolls.


&



Hill says he tried counting toothpicks once there were fewer than 200 in the box of 250 he had but gave up after just one box "because it would just take too long."

So what's the gig, does he send the TP back to manufacturer for a refund after he's done using it??

I thought everyone would take the time to make sure they haven't been cheated. Though counting is silly since TP is machine milled and the weight constant. You count the first roll, and if it's right weigh it. Then record the weight and compare it to that of future rolls. You'll be able to tell in short order if you've been cheated. You can even do the same with US currency in lieu of counting large piles of bills.

8.6 sheets per trip? That's not very much...I certainly use more!

This guy is either starving for attention or has a mental illness. Either way, it's a mental illness.

Sound like the guy has an obsessive compulsive disorder.(and way too much free time) Nothing to do with frugality at all.


umcsom said: he needs this link. Why don't you send it to him OP?

I thought you were going to link to this site

(which, ironically, I found thanks to the op

Mikeyiscool said: 8.6 sheets per trip? That's not very much...I certainly use more!

And that is why Sheryl Crow hates you.

no TP for you

Wow, retirement sounds fun. I am really looking forward to it...

He should just take extra napkins from fast food joints and use 'em.


"I called them up," Hill said about Georgia-Pacific Corp., the tissue's makers. He dialed the toll-free number printed on the package and, as you'd expect, the company sent Hill a coupon for free toilet paper.

So he counted those, too, each day and at every sitting. All 12 rolls.

Again, Hill's average tally was less than the package's promise. He admits he might have been off "by a sheet or two, but not that many."

Scratching an inquisitive itch

Concerned that other consumers might be having the same problem, Hill took his case to the Denver Better Business Bureau, which forwarded his written complaint to their affiliate in Atlanta, where Georgia-Pacific is located.

"That's the last I heard," Hill said.

And that's the last anyone heard from Hill on the issue. He's been quietly counting to himself ever since.

To test his theory, The Denver Post counted, too nine rolls from five different makers but none had fewer sheets than advertised. One brand Quilted Northern, also by Georgia-Pacific actually had 10 percent more on two rolls.


-------------------------------
Just like the famous FW Epson class action post, this guy should initiate a class action and get a settlement of coupons for all
wronged customers.

WalStMonky said: I thought everyone would take the time to make sure they haven't been cheated. Though counting is silly since TP is machine milled and the weight constant. You count the first roll, and if it's right weigh it. Then record the weight and compare it to that of future rolls. You'll be able to tell in short order if you've been cheated. You can even do the same with US currency in lieu of counting large piles of bills.

You would need one heck of an accurate scale to tell if a roll was missing a sheet or two. Same goes for money. There's a reason banks use counting machines instead of scales.

WalStMonky said: I thought everyone would take the time to make sure they haven't been cheated. Though counting is silly since TP is machine milled and the weight constant. You count the first roll, and if it's right weigh it. Then record the weight and compare it to that of future rolls. You'll be able to tell in short order if you've been cheated. You can even do the same with US currency in lieu of counting large piles of bills.

I'm not 100% sure of the mfg process for TP, but I suspect there is some percentage range of variation in the thickness/density of each sheet. Now weight would tell you if you were getting the correct amount of cellulose fiber in your roll, but not necessarily the correct number of sheets.

I think the best way to measure the number of sheets would be to count the number of revolutions of the roll using a setup something like a bike odometer and then applying the proper calculus to determine the total length. Dividing this by sheet length would give a quite accurate count of the sheets.

But for my dollar, I'd rather have appropriate weight and too few sheets rather than the messy result of too many sheets that are too thin.

I bet once he gets a fat settlement from the manufacturers, we'll see regular Wipe-O-Rama threads here.

just use an old t-shirt...

kidding of course...

Sounds like he's too anal retentive














Or maybe not enough, thus causing his TP problems....

Old man can't count. News at 11.

LordKronos said: Old man can't count. News at 11.

Haha, yeah, I found it very amusing that he came up short with his count on ALL brands he tried, while the journalists did not come ups short with any

To test his theory, The Denver Post counted, too nine rolls from five different makers but none had fewer sheets than advertised. One brand Quilted Northern, also by Georgia-Pacific actually had 10 percent more on two rolls.

I wonder what poor intern had to do the counting.

Definitely, definitely 246 toothpicks.

It's not just the number of sheets. Maybe they are shorting him on the size of each one. Did he measure them?

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_8083336

breaking news, riiiight?

LordKronos said: Old man can't count. News at 11.

Thanks Ali Williams *family guy reference*

Ecuadorgr said:

Haha, yeah, I found it very amusing that he came up short with his count on ALL brands he tried, while the journalists did not come ups short with any


The old man's wife is messing with him, removing a square or two just to keep him busy.

Ecuadorgr said: LordKronos said: Old man can't count. News at 11.

Haha, yeah, I found it very amusing that he came up short with his count on ALL brands he tried, while the journalists did not come ups short with any


agreed. That is the real observation from the story. The newspaper counted 5 rolls, and he counted 5 rolls. He was always lower than the posted amount, whereas the newspaper was very close, if not the same, to the advertised number. I'd bet he is undercounting, and the newspaper is correct.

Mikeyiscool said: 8.6 sheets per trip? That's not very much...I certainly use more!

I treated an OCD patient a few years ago who used an entire roll of toilet paper every time. Several times per day. His mom had an enormous plumbing bill. It was ridiculous.

You would need one heck of an accurate scale to tell if a roll was missing a sheet or two. Same goes for money. There's a reason banks use counting machines instead of scales.

Not really. Any standard college dorm room scale can handle weighing money, and each bill does weigh exactly the same. The reason banks use counting machines instead of scales is psychological.

Anyway, I guess my joke comparing US currency to toilet paper failed miserably...

Pyromaniac said: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_8083336

breaking news, riiiight?


I guess the real breaking news would be that the Denver Post has apparently been taken over by Digg.

WalStMonky said: Not really. Any standard college dorm room scale can handle weighing money, and each bill does weigh exactly the same. The reason banks use counting machines instead of scales is psychological.

Baloney. Nevermind the metaphysical arguement that there's no such thing as "exactly the same"...what about bills with the corners wripped off or a "Where's George?" inkstamp or dirt on them? Banks dont weigh bills because they don't, in fact, weigh "exactly the same", especially when they're not brand-spanking new. Banks use counting machines rather than scales because counting machines are better at detecting counterfits than scales. A scale only asks "how much does this weigh?" while a counter can ask "is this the right size, shape and thickness? does it have the proper magnetic qualities? etc. etc.".

psychtobe said: I treated an OCD patient a few years ago who used an entire roll of toilet paper every time. Several times per day. His mom had an enormous plumbing bill. It was ridiculous.

Solution: custom 10-sheet rolls.

hmm, anyone think his wife could be sneaking down to use his private basement crapper?

timothytuxedo said: WalStMonky said: Not really. Any standard college dorm room scale can handle weighing money, and each bill does weigh exactly the same. The reason banks use counting machines instead of scales is psychological.

Baloney. Nevermind the metaphysical arguement that there's no such thing as "exactly the same"...what about bills with the corners wripped off or a "Where's George?" inkstamp or dirt on them? Banks dont weigh bills because they don't, in fact, weigh "exactly the same", especially when they're not brand-spanking new. Banks use counting machines rather than scales because counting machines are better at detecting counterfits than scales. A scale only asks "how much does this weigh?" while a counter can ask "is this the right size, shape and thickness? does it have the proper magnetic qualities? etc. etc.".


Alright all ready, you've convinced me to believe your claims over what I've seen with my own eyes.

They were weighing the Iraqi dinar just a short time ago. It's a common practice when currency becomes near worthless.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014